Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Questions for JKR?

What would you most like to ask Jo (that she hasn't cleared up already in the books or interviews) if you could? Of course, anything in DH is out. What would you like to see her do next? Do you have something you'd like to say to her? It might be fruitless but that never stopped me from sending my letter to Santa every Christmas. So here goes, Ms. Rowling, this thread is for you!
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Questions for JKR...

1. In HBP, would it have been possible for Sir Nicholas (or any of the other ghosts) to see what Malfoy was doing in the Room of Requirement if Harry had thought to ask him?

2. In HBP, could the elves have helped the Order if anyone had summoned them?
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
Posts: 943
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

[ Edited ]
- why doesn't the failed killing curse come out of VOldemort's wand during Priori Incantatum in the graveyard, like all the other curses?

- were Snape and Dumbledore arguing about Snape making Wolfsbane potion, or something else regarding Lupin? We are reminded several times of Wolfsbane in HBP. What role will it play in DH?

- Is your allusion to the legend of Damocles a coincidence, or does it have something to do with Snape and Draco?

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 04-18-200702:42 AM

Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
Posts: 579
Registered: ‎02-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Excellent questions so far, I think. Things to think about. Sorry to say mines is a little less thorough. I'm a television and radio major, so when I have to write for television, I put a whole lot more detail into things. And for radio, specifically I make sure everything can be something that's heard, because... you can't see it, duh :smileyhappy:

Anyhoo, since you became aware that movies were being created for the books. Did it change your writing any? It's one thing to give enough detail and say let the reader use there imagination for the rest. But knowing people may eventually see this scene, do you add more description to it.

Do you decide to add funnier lines, so the actors (that you now have known quite the long time) will get to be funnier?

And lastly, does a part of you become a fan and think "No, no. I just can't do that to Alan, I mean Snape..."?
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
New User
Star-Aria
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?


dcsbelle wrote:
What would you most like to ask Jo (that she hasn't cleared up already in the books or interviews) if you could? Of course, anything in DH is out. What would you like to see her do next? Do you have something you'd like to say to her? It might be fruitless but that never stopped me from sending my letter to Santa every Christmas. So here goes, Ms. Rowling, this thread is for you!



Ok. J.K. Rowling, I have a question for you.
Why did you make (allow) Harry to fall in love with Ginny? I mean, she did have a crush on him in Harry's second Year at Hogwarts, but... Ginny? Why not Luna Lovegood (ok, that's a bit far-fetched..), or Cho (again), or perhaps someone entirely NEW?
And I have another question for you, a bit related to my first one... You haven't seemed to really develop Ginny a great deal, so she seems still like a 12 year-old to me. So, if you didn't develop her, then why do Harry and Ginny fall in love....... hmm.
In ANNNYY case...........

Adios!
Frequent Contributor
BobbiAnne
Posts: 491
Registered: ‎02-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?



Proper-T wrote:
Excellent questions so far, I think. Things to think about. Sorry to say mines is a little less thorough. I'm a television and radio major, so when I have to write for television, I put a whole lot more detail into things. And for radio, specifically I make sure everything can be something that's heard, because... you can't see it, duh :smileyhappy:

Anyhoo, since you became aware that movies were being created for the books. Did it change your writing any? It's one thing to give enough detail and say let the reader use there imagination for the rest. But knowing people may eventually see this scene, do you add more description to it.

Do you decide to add funnier lines, so the actors (that you now have known quite the long time) will get to be funnier?

And lastly, does a part of you become a fan and think "No, no. I just can't do that to Alan, I mean Snape..."?




Well, someone does call Ron "Rupert" in HBP, so I think she's pretending to be Barbara Streisand as a Funny Girl
Frequent Contributor
BobbiAnne
Posts: 491
Registered: ‎02-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

I'd like to know if Merope ever loved Tom Riddle, Jr. That would have a HUGE impact on things, as DD said, he doesn't really know much about his mother. I think DD said that he initially thought his mom couldn't have been a witch or she would have saved herself. Maybe Voldemort sees her or a memory of her and it's somehow the undoing of him. Harry's blood running in his veins is significant, but how would the power of Love vanquish the dark lord? Yes, this is getting a bit off topic, but if anyone has any ideas (or if I missed this discussion) please start a thread or point me to a previous one. Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

You've asked the $60,000 (or pound) question here and I think we'll find the answer in DH. But in case it's too ambiguous we'll have to press Jo further for the answer.

And as for what else I'd like to see her do after the book release, well, she can answer all our questions posted here! Hint, hint. :smileyhappy: We love you, Jo!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



BobbiAnne wrote:
I'd like to know if Merope ever loved Tom Riddle, Jr. That would have a HUGE impact on things, as DD said, he doesn't really know much about his mother. I think DD said that he initially thought his mom couldn't have been a witch or she would have saved herself. Maybe Voldemort sees her or a memory of her and it's somehow the undoing of him. Harry's blood running in his veins is significant, but how would the power of Love vanquish the dark lord? Yes, this is getting a bit off topic, but if anyone has any ideas (or if I missed this discussion) please start a thread or point me to a previous one. Thanks!


Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
Posts: 579
Registered: ‎02-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

I know, and that's like a top 10 reason why HBP is my favorite book. I hope they don't cut that part on the movie...

Speaking of movies, did ayone hear there cutting some OOTP because there afraid it'll be too long. Blimey, they don't know there fans very well do they? Here's another question JK, I know you know everything can't be in the movie, but how do you feel about that? I think is sucks, but that's me, LOL, this is about you. :smileyhappy:




BobbiAnne wrote:


Proper-T wrote:
Excellent questions so far, I think. Things to think about. Sorry to say mines is a little less thorough. I'm a television and radio major, so when I have to write for television, I put a whole lot more detail into things. And for radio, specifically I make sure everything can be something that's heard, because... you can't see it, duh :smileyhappy:

Anyhoo, since you became aware that movies were being created for the books. Did it change your writing any? It's one thing to give enough detail and say let the reader use there imagination for the rest. But knowing people may eventually see this scene, do you add more description to it.

Do you decide to add funnier lines, so the actors (that you now have known quite the long time) will get to be funnier?

And lastly, does a part of you become a fan and think "No, no. I just can't do that to Alan, I mean Snape..."?




Well, someone does call Ron "Rupert" in HBP, so I think she's pretending to be Barbara Streisand as a Funny Girl


I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Movie producers only knows what sells in their market; there are an awful lot of people--believe it or not-- who love the movies and won't go near the books. Their loss, but that's why we're disappointed when our favorite parts are cut or details altered. I guess nothing will ever replace books.

My question for Jo is: Students are allowed to bring a cat, toad or owl to Hogwarts although we rarely hear them mentioned. How come Ron was permitted to bring Scabbers? The owls have an owlery but what about the toads and cats? Are they allowed to roam around freely? How do they keep so many pets from getting out of order? I have trouble managing three cats!



Proper-T wrote:
I know, and that's like a top 10 reason why HBP is my favorite book. I hope they don't cut that part on the movie...

Speaking of movies, did ayone hear there cutting some OOTP because there afraid it'll be too long. Blimey, they don't know there fans very well do they? Here's another question JK, I know you know everything can't be in the movie, but how do you feel about that? I think is sucks, but that's me, LOL, this is about you. :smileyhappy:
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎02-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?


BobbiAnne wrote:


Proper-T wrote:
Excellent questions so far, I think. Things to think about. Sorry to say mines is a little less thorough. I'm a television and radio major, so when I have to write for television, I put a whole lot more detail into things. And for radio, specifically I make sure everything can be something that's heard, because... you can't see it, duh :smileyhappy:

Anyhoo, since you became aware that movies were being created for the books. Did it change your writing any? It's one thing to give enough detail and say let the reader use there imagination for the rest. But knowing people may eventually see this scene, do you add more description to it.

Do you decide to add funnier lines, so the actors (that you now have known quite the long time) will get to be funnier?

And lastly, does a part of you become a fan and think "No, no. I just can't do that to Alan, I mean Snape..."?




Well, someone does call Ron "Rupert" in HBP, so I think she's pretending to be Barbara Streisand as a Funny Girl


omg, i never caught that!! thats kinda cool to be honest.

my questions:

why didnt you want american actors to be in the movies? :smileysad:
do you read the books too? cuz i heard its bad luck for the author to read them before they are completely finished, so does that count if its a series ?
what is your favorite of all of them?
what is your favorite book of all time?
do/did you have a "normal" job when you write/wrote?
and why do you describe stuff smelling like cabbage alot? or use the color pink and all of its relatives? cuz some people ahve really colorful theories on what cabbage really means, and everywhere something is pink.

just wondering
Julie
Frequent Contributor
HPRocksMySocks
Posts: 155
Registered: ‎02-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Wow, could you actually imagine asking JKR questions to her face? I would get so nervous/excited/hyper-ventalating I would probably faint!!Anyways if I could ask her any questions i would ask:

Is ther exchange programs for wizards? I mean could a student from Hogwarts got to a wizarding school in the US of A for a trimester? Is there even a wizarding school IN USA?

Were you always a good writer?

Had you been developing the idea for the Harry Potter world for a while before you started writting it?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

On her website JKR said that there are wizarding schools all over and mentioned Salem as one location. That would be my alma mater!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HPRocksMySocks wrote:
Wow, could you actually imagine asking JKR questions to her face? I would get so nervous/excited/hyper-ventalating I would probably faint!!Anyways if I could ask her any questions i would ask:

Is ther exchange programs for wizards? I mean could a student from Hogwarts got to a wizarding school in the US of A for a trimester? Is there even a wizarding school IN USA?

Were you always a good writer?

Had you been developing the idea for the Harry Potter world for a while before you started writting it?


Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
pickwick
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎04-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Although our beloved Dumbledore is gone, I still would love to have the answer to these questions:

If Dumbledore encountered a Boggart what would it become?

Also, if the thing that Dumbledore desired most was socks, does that mean that he wishes for freedom? (Like Dobby with the sock.) If so, freedom from what?

And finally, why is Neville so forgetful? If it has to do with a memory charm, then who charmed him?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Pickwick, I think I might be able to answer the "socks" question for you. I don't think the socks represented "freedom". For him, the nice warm socks represented love. Mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and loving wives, for example, would give the gift of warm socks to someone they loved...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

That sorta makes me wonder; how come Molly never knitted him any socks? She had those needles going all the time; surely she could have whipped up a pair for him!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psychee wrote:
Pickwick, I think I might be able to answer the "socks" question for you. I don't think the socks represented "freedom". For him, the nice warm socks represented love. Mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and loving wives, for example, would give the gift of warm socks to someone they loved...


Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
Posts: 185
Registered: ‎02-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Where was LV's wand hidden all this time and who hid it?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

I would like to know the origin of elves' servitude to wizards. And can they be sold from one family to another? Do they become free if their family dies off and they are not willed to an heir?
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
New User
JD_stalkertwin
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎04-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Well, I have a prediction. I think that an object mentioned in the second book when harry is in knockturn alley is a horcrux. The book says, " Draco paused to examine a long coil o hangman's rope and to read, smirking, the card propped on a magnificent necklace of opals, Caution: Do Not Touch. Cursed- Has Claimed the Lives of Nineteen Muggle Owners to Date." I think that necklace, though breifly mentioned, is a horcrux.
There is a necklace that is supposedly one in te sixth book, which turns ot to be fake. I think this isthe real one. It would make sense if Voldemort put a curse on a horcrux so it would not be as easily destroyed. And, a killing curse would seem very likely. Muggles could have easily gotten their hands on it after who ever got to it before Dumbledore and Harry released it. In fact, Mr. Borgin, the shop keeper could have been related to the one to steal it. The initials left are R.A.B. He does work in Knockturn alley, which is a dark place and he worships and helps the Malfoys by buying their potions and keeping to the theory of wizard blood being important. He also has many dark things. But, the note says he would be long dead before Voldemort could read his note. So, he must be old. Also, he says he would destroy it as soon as possible, so Borgin or someone else may have killed him before he could destroy it. And, from there, after R.A.B. was killed, if his/her killer didn't take it, then a muggle or so could have gotten hold of it. But, if Borgin or his father or other older relative killed him and then passed it down, then Borgin could have just said not to touch it and made up the killing thing so that no one would want it and it could stay safe and not even hidden, but he may have added nineteen muggles being killed just to say how it is cursed. On the cover of his U.S. edition cover, Harry has something around his neck, but it is covered. Could the thing around his neck possibly be the necklace covered so it would no touh his skin. So that he would not touch it? It is a magnificent neckalce of opals it says also, so it could have been a family heirloom of Lord Voldemort's or could have belonged to one of the four founding fathers of Hogwarts. Am I right?
Jimmy
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

Is there a limit on how far one can travel when they apparate? Can they cross continents and seas and apparate on the other side of the earth?
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding