Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

I think there was something about that in one of her Comic relief books, the Quidditch one, I think. I'll have to re-check the source, but I believe it said that the further you go, the more skilled and powerful you have to be, and the more difficult it is to do it accurately. Specifically it said that crossing the Atlantic to America was very difficult, and few wizards even attempt it because if you get it wrong it can be extra disasterous, or something like that.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Thanks, Psychee, I forgot about that! I have check it out to see what it says specifically.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Psychee wrote:
I think there was something about that in one of her Comic relief books, the Quidditch one, I think. I'll have to re-check the source, but I believe it said that the further you go, the more skilled and powerful you have to be, and the more difficult it is to do it accurately. Specifically it said that crossing the Atlantic to America was very difficult, and few wizards even attempt it because if you get it wrong it can be extra disasterous, or something like that.

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
What exactly is a warlock in Harry Potter world? The only mention of them I can find is the warlock who worked with Arthur Weasley and Dumbledore's title "Head Warlock of the Wizengamot."

Message Edited by dcsbelle on 05-05-200704:17 AM

Debbie

Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Among the things I'd like to know:

-Presuming all the Maurauders were from the same house, how could the Sorting Hat possibly have put Wormtail/ Pettigrew in Griffindor?!

-How is the Magical world be kept secret from us Muggles when people like Hermione, Dean and Seamus (and Harry) have Muggle parents and other close Muggle family?

-And yes, I too would be curious to know whether a memory charm was done on Neville, and why, and who did it?

And finally, not a question but a comment; if I had the chance to talk to JKR, I would beg her to *PLEASE* give Harry some Muggle allies, and let us see some Muggles who are NOT the Dursleys! (yes, we glimpsed Frank Bryce, and the Muggle Prime Minister, but they are sort of extras, add-on's; not people whom Harry, and we, get to know.
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

StoryMing wrote:
Among the things I'd like to know:

-Presuming all the Maurauders were from the same house, how could the Sorting Hat possibly have put Wormtail/ Pettigrew in Griffindor?!

-How is the Magical world be kept secret from us Muggles when people like Hermione, Dean and Seamus (and Harry) have Muggle parents and other close Muggle family?

-And yes, I too would be curious to know whether a memory charm was done on Neville, and why, and who did it?

And finally, not a question but a comment; if I had the chance to talk to JKR, I would beg her to *PLEASE* give Harry some Muggle allies, and let us see some Muggles who are NOT the Dursleys! (yes, we glimpsed Frank Bryce, and the Muggle Prime Minister, but they are sort of extras, add-on's; not people whom Harry, and we, get to know.

I think I can answer number 2 for you in Fudge's words to the Prime Minister, "My dear Prime Minister, are you ever going to tell anybody?" ...the Prime Minister...realized that he would never, as long as he lived, dare mention this encounter to a living soul, for who in the wide world would believe him?"
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Yes, but it's one thing when you're talking about a stranger appearing randomly from who-knows-where; it's another matter (imo) when it's your own sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, nephews and nieces. Enough Muggles know about it by being directly related to a witch or wizard, it becomes a LOT harder to hush up. It seems like there'd be bound to be a leak somewhere... Plus, they'd know there's other Muggles out there with Magical family, others who would KNOW they aren't crazy- and that's a big difference (if you're at all open to the idea, like Harry's grandparents; surely not ALL Muggle families will react like the Dursleys).

Bookladt wrote:

I think I can answer number 2 for you in Fudge's words to the Prime Minister, "My dear Prime Minister, are you ever going to tell anybody?" ...the Prime Minister...realized that he would never, as long as he lived, dare mention this encounter to a living soul, for who in the wide world would believe him?"

Frequent Contributor
cjb07
0 Kudos

StoryMing wrote:
Yes, but it's one thing when you're talking about a stranger appearing randomly from who-knows-where; it's another matter (imo) when it's your own sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, nephews and nieces. Enough Muggles know about it by being directly related to a witch or wizard, it becomes a LOT harder to hush up. It seems like there'd be bound to be a leak somewhere... Plus, they'd know there's other Muggles out there with Magical family, others who would KNOW they aren't crazy- and that's a big difference (if you're at all open to the idea, like Harry's grandparents; surely not ALL Muggle families will react like the Dursleys).

Bookladt wrote:

But you gotta also remember the Dursleys of the world, there are more of them than you'd think, i'd bet. They just dismiss it as absolute rubbish, even though they know it's true. The choose to ignore it. I'm sure that's the reaction that Muggle family members get a lot from their friends.
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

Just think how much magical folk would be taken advantage of by Muggles - they can clean and cook by using magic, hand-knit many garments at the same time...they'd be exploited beyong belief. I'm sure magical people in Muggle families are very useful, and they wouldn't want the whole world at their doorstep wanting in on it. Isn't that one of the reasons given in an early book - that Muggles would want magic to solve all of their problems? Witches stay hidden in the Muggle world for their own protection against being besieged by requests to do things for everyone.

cjb07 wrote:

StoryMing wrote:

Bookladt wrote:

But you gotta also remember the Dursleys of the world, there are more of them than you'd think, i'd bet. They just dismiss it as absolute rubbish, even though they know it's true. The choose to ignore it. I'm sure that's the reaction that Muggle family members get a lot from their friends.

Frequent Contributor
rae_m
0 Kudos

This may have been asked I don't know but I was wondering if you can apparate to a person instead of a place? Like if you don't know where someone is can you just apparate to that person and whereever they are thats where you would end up.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

So just how did Wormtail end up as a pet in the Weasley household anyway?
Debbie

Contributor
sparklerhlr
0 Kudos

i'd ask JKR - If Harry has a god-father wouldn't he have a god-mother and if so who is his god-mother?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

sparklerhlr wrote:
i'd ask JKR - If Harry has a god-father wouldn't he have a god-mother and if so who is his god-mother?

She has already been asked that question. Harry does not have a godmother. The christening was a rushed affair, Sirius was not married, the family was about to go into hiding. You can find this information on JKR's website.
Frequent Contributor
rae_m
0 Kudos

It's kind of sad if you think about it, they didn't know a single woman who they trusted to be a God Parent, after all Godparents aren't always married to eachother, or anyone for that matter.
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

rae_m wrote:
This may have been asked I don't know but I was wondering if you can apparate to a person instead of a place? Like if you don't know where someone is can you just apparate to that person and whereever they are thats where you would end up.

I don't think that could happen. Though it might be possible, JKLR hasn't said anything about apparating to a person, because you have to know where you are going.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Actually we do know that is possible, because of Lord Voldemort. When he touches the Dark Mark of a death eater, the mark burns for all Death Eaters, and it is a signal to apperate to HIM immediately. (Since I doubt that Voldy would make knowing where he was at all times part of the spell of the Dark Mark, as that would be too dangerous, and then, say if he was betrayed by a death eater, they could tell the Aurors where he is, so they must have to apperate to him, not the place.)

hihi wrote:

rae_m wrote:

I don't think that could happen. Though it might be possible, JKLR hasn't said anything about apparating to a person, because you have to know where you are going.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Contributor
sparklerhlr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
If Sirius did have a wife that does not automatically make her the right choice for god mother. but i will let this issue die.

Message Edited by sparklerhlr on 07-16-2007 08:32 PM
Author
SPSipal
0 Kudos

Some of the questions I would love to ask JKR have more to do with the craft of writing. I'd love to ask what were her main sources as she was learning to write -- books, writing groups, other authors, etc. Where she feels stylistically her talents are the strongest, and what areas she'd like to improve upon. Does she feel isolated as a writer because of the need to keep her story such a top secret? And last, I definitely feel she used Egyptian mythology as a subtext for her series; I'd love to ask if that's definitely true and if so, what sources she used the most.

SP Sipal
New User
clarkwe91
0 Kudos

PLEASE READ ALL I HAVE TO SAY
Why does Harry potter series have to end? now i understand that it can't go on the same but Harry and the gang had plans to become dark wizard hunters. there can be life for Harry outside hogwarts. New characters can be developed for the surviving team to fight. I think this story has life still all leading up to Harry one day becoming as great a wizard as Dumbeldore (sorry if spelling off i'm running away on this train of thought)I mean he could even continue his special wizard training in other countries to become truly great and of course the oposite of he who must not be named. His reign of terror kept the magical community in darkness for a long time shouldn't there be a story about their fight to rebuild a better wizarding community? I hope someone feels the same way i do and inspires my favorite characters back into action with a new mission.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Don't worry, clarkwe91, we all share your feelings and wish the series would go on and on--and on. Who knows, maybe sometime in the future JKR might miss writing about Harry and friends or maye her fertile mind just won't stop creating new stories about her beloved characters and she'll have to start writing again just to empty them out of her mind. We can always hope, can't we?

clarkwe91 wrote:
Why does Harry potter series have to end? now i understand that it can't go on the same but Harry and the gang had plans to become dark wizard hunters. there can be life for Harry outside hogwarts. New characters can be developed for the surviving team to fight. I think this story has life still all leading up to Harry one day becoming as great a wizard as Dumbeldore (sorry if spelling off i'm running away on this train of thought)I mean he could even continue his special wizard training in other countries to become truly great and of course the oposite of he who must not be named. His reign of terror kept the magical community in darkness for a long time shouldn't there be a story about their fight to rebuild a better wizarding community? I hope someone feels the same way i do and inspires my favorite characters back into action with a new mission.

Debbie

Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

clarkwe91 wrote:

I feel the opposite. It's time for it to end. At least it's time for Harry's story to end. If JKR wants to write later about the same wizarding world, I'd like to see it done with other characters, not with Harry and crew.

No, I don't want to see Harry become as great a wizard as Dumbledore. Of course I'm talking about Dumbledore and his power. Harry doesn't need to be seen the same way. Whereas Dumbledore had great powers, there was much more to him than that. Same for Harry.

As much as I love Ron and Hermione and so many of the other characters, it is time for JKR to move on. EXCEPT- if she gave us a book about Snape or the past of Dumbledore. Then I'd be willing to read about the old characters. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by amm1 on 07-17-2007 10:01 AM