Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR?

JKR has said that she might write another Harry Potter book. The other day I was thinking about just writing her a letter telling her how she can't end the series! It is just so sad. I wonder if they are going to leave this board open after everyone has read the book...
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Well, the waiting for Harry board will be come the Ministry of Spoilers board, for those that have read the book.

hihi wrote:
JKR has said that she might write another Harry Potter book. The other day I was thinking about just writing her a letter telling her how she can't end the series! It is just so sad. I wonder if they are going to leave this board open after everyone has read the book...

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Lol! Ministry of Spoilers board--I like that! :smileyhappy:

ShadowCougar wrote:
Well, the waiting for Harry board will be come the Ministry of Spoilers board, for those that have read the book
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

"SO endeth this chronicle. It being strictly a history of a BOY, it must stop here; the story could not go much further without becoming the history of a MAN. When one writes a novel about grown people, he knows exactly where to stop—that is, with a marriage; but when he writes of juveniles, he must stop where he best can."
Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Now remember, both Twain, and Stephen King (Who used this quote in his book The Talisman) Eventually went back and wrote sequels to their books with the main characters as adults, so maybe someday, in ten years or so.. we might see another Harry Potter book, but for now, enjoy and cherish what we have, and lets let Jo have some well earned, and much deserved, rest without her being plagued by demands for the next Harry Potter book.

clarkwe91 wrote:
PLEASE READ ALL I HAVE TO SAY
Why does Harry potter series have to end? now i understand that it can't go on the same but Harry and the gang had plans to become dark wizard hunters. there can be life for Harry outside hogwarts. New characters can be developed for the surviving team to fight. I think this story has life still all leading up to Harry one day becoming as great a wizard as Dumbeldore (sorry if spelling off i'm running away on this train of thought)I mean he could even continue his special wizard training in other countries to become truly great and of course the oposite of he who must not be named. His reign of terror kept the magical community in darkness for a long time shouldn't there be a story about their fight to rebuild a better wizarding community? I hope someone feels the same way i do and inspires my favorite characters back into action with a new mission.

Frequent Contributor
rae_m
0 Kudos

I tend to agree with amm1 here. More of the wizarding world would be great but Harry and DD will never end up being the same because they are different characters. With different strengths, weaknesses, etc. I would love to hear more background to the characters but their lives are all so intermingled ie Snape and James, that I don't know if it would be possible to go back and write anything about them.
Also ever book needs a villan and LV was created to be something beyond beleif so I don't know if anyone would hold up to him as a villan. So what or who would they be fighting?
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

rae_m wrote:
I tend to agree with amm1 here. More of the wizarding world would be great but Harry and DD will never end up being the same because they are different characters. With different strengths, weaknesses, etc. I would love to hear more background to the characters but their lives are all so intermingled ie Snape and James, that I don't know if it would be possible to go back and write anything about them.
Also ever book needs a villan and LV was created to be something beyond beleif so I don't know if anyone would hold up to him as a villan. So what or who would they be fighting?

They could go back to Hagrids time. Or with James, some bully that we have not met.
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Another question (someone asked elsewhere on this board, forget where and who) :
Where was Fawkes on the night of the Tower? He came to help and save DD during the ministry battle, what kept him away in HBP?

And I STILL say Harry needs some proper Muggle allies.
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

StoryMing wrote:
Another question (someone asked elsewhere on this board, forget where and who) :
Where was Fawkes on the night of the Tower? He came to help and save DD during the ministry battle, what kept him away in HBP?

Yes, he does. i think it would be cool if in the end, the wizard and muggle worlds join forces in peace.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

But remember the Muggle world isn't supposed to know that magic is real. Only those with family connections to witches and wizards are aware it exists. Of course those few might be able to do their part in the battle. Hermione's parents could always perform a dental extraction on Fenrir Greyback and Nagini. :smileyhappy:

hihi wrote:

StoryMing wrote:

Yes, he does. i think it would be cool if in the end, the wizard and muggle worlds join forces in peace.

Debbie

New User
luna_raveclaw_italia
0 Kudos

Well, I would most like to ask her two questions

1) What ever happened to Harry's grandparents...Father's and mother's? I just don't get it. I mean, they must be dead or Harry would've been left with them instead of the Dursleys...but I still want to know

2) How did Scabbers/Pettigrew come to be with the Weasleys? What, he just randomly found them? Hmm...
"I solemnly swear...unless there's a possibility of expulsion...or a chance that I'll fail my OWLs...or not study enough for NEWTs--"
"Hermione?"
"Yes, Harry?"
"Just open the map."

Frequent Contributor
virus95
0 Kudos

some questions i would like to ask Mrs. Rowling are:

Will you be writing any other kind of book involving Harry Potter?

Why didn't you continue the series? I know you believe in numerology so why did you not make 12 years and Hogwarts like we have here, 12 years of school then college?

and finally: What is your opinion about Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson getting old and having new characters casted to become Harry, ROn, and Hermione?
Frequent Contributor
virus95
0 Kudos

i also have another question:

When Cornelius Fudge doesn't believe Harry encountered Dementors, why didn't he use Leglimens to read his mind and see if he was telling the truth?

PS: I got this question when I saw OotP. When you see Snape using Leglimens on Harry, you can see the scene about dementors.
New User
bbrault
0 Kudos

Questions for JKR

I sent these questions to JKR in Dec. 06 by way of Scholastic. I received a form letter and picture. So I am opening these questions up to all of you.

1. The fake Mad-Eye Moody borrows the map from Harry in GoF. How does Harry get it back in the OotP?

2. Dumbledore tells Harry that Wormtail is beholding to him, Harry, because he prevented Sirius and Lupin from killing Wormtail. Will this play itself out in DH?

3. I noticed that Crookshanks the cat could communicate with Sirius. How? Is Crookshanks an animagus?

4. What of Dumbledore's brother Aberforth? He is mentioned a few times. Where is he? Does he finally make and apearencein DH? Is he Crookshanks? JKR has had surprises greater than this in her books before.

5. What makes Harry's blood so important to LV? Does it make him more human as well as more connected to Harry, as well as more vulnerable? Why does Dumbledore smile when Harry tells him about the ritual from GoF?

6. Does Olivander from the HBP go into hiding on his own or was he taken? The signs for being taken are not there! Will he be of help to the Good Guys?

7. In the CoS Dumbledore says to LM that "you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none are loyal to me. You wil also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it." Will the final battle be held within its walls? Will help come from within to aid H and Company?

8. Dumbledore also mentions loyalty and Fawkes. Will Fawkes return to Harry because of H's loyalty to Dumbledore? Doesn't history repeat itself?

9. The Horcruxes are I) Voldermort himself, II) Diary destroyed in CoS, III) Slytherin's ring destroyed by Dumbledore in HBP, IV) Slytherin's Locket as mentioned in HBP, V) Hufflepuff's Cup,which was also mentioned in HBP, and my guesses for VI) Nagini the snake for obvious reasons and VII) Harry himself because I believe that since Harry has some of LV's powers such as Parselmouth, why not part of LV's soul?

10. D tells H that he is protected by his ability to love. Will love be the final weapon that kills LV? How does one wield love as a weapon?

11. R.A.B. Your guesses are as good and similar to mine!

12. Why does Snape scream so angrily in HBP, "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!"? What from his past could cause this outburst?

13. Doe Harry get his book of Spells back from the Room of Requirement and will spells be of an aid to him?

14. Does Harry get his Cloak of Invisibility back as it is precious to him?

15. How will Harry's pity for Malfoy affect their next meeting? Harry understands M's fear of LV. Could this become a weapon of sorts to Harry when the time comes?

16. The Unbreakable Vow -- did Snape make one with D? I agree with some of you on this point also.

17. The question of Neville Longbottom. LV went after the wrong baby and Neville will be the catalyst for the end of LV.

18. Since Malfoy used coins for communication, an idea he borrowed from H and Company, will H borrow some ideas from M such as the Peruvian Instant Darkness powder or the Hand of Glory? Will the Weasley twins be of help with devices from their shop?

19. Personally I see Harry, with help defeating LV, but at a great cost to himself. I see H crippled for life, not in the physical way like Moody nor in the sense of mental deformity like Barty Crouche's son, but in a different way. I see Harry losing all his powrs except one. He is no longer a wizard but he is also not a muggle. The one power he retains is his ability to fly on a broom. That is all that he retains of the Magical world besides his scar and it is the one freedom he has and allows him to travel between the two worlds.

I await your responses and "May the Force be with You!"
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for JKR

bbrault wrote:
I sent these questions to JKR in Dec. 06 by way of Scholastic. I received a form letter and picture. So I am opening these questions up to all of you.

First, I hope you realize that JK answering some of these would have given too much of the plot away. Second, she has answered some of these on her website or in interviews.

I will answer the ones I know, and skip the ones that are obviously things that we will have to read DH to know.

1. She has said that Harry just went into the office and took it after everything happened.

3. Crookshanks is very smart because he is part kneazle, he is not an animagus. She has not said how him and Sirius were able to talk though.

4. It is widely believed and almost confirmed by JKR that he is the Barman at the Hog's Head.

9. This has been widely argued in several places here. feel free to look around the threads.

11. It is widely believed that this is Regulas, Sirius's brother, because in books where the black name starts with another letter due to being translated, the last initial of RAB is that letter instead of B.

17. By attacking Harry, Voldy forced the prophecy to apply to Harry and NOT Neville.
Frequent Contributor
rae_m
0 Kudos

luna_raveclaw_ita…
JKR has commented about Harry's lack of lineage on her website. All his grandparents are dead. James were older when they had him and died of Old Age - Wizard Style. I believe Lily's passed of simular claims. JKR has said that they are not important to the story and therefore we wont know much about them, also Harry needed to be a lonesome hero so their presence would have been problematic.
As far as I know JKR has not said anything about how Petigrew came to live with the Weasley's. Except that he probably choose the Weasley's because they were a family of old wizarding stock and therefore he could keep himself updated if case his master's whereabouts became known. I also believe that Arthur working for the ministry could have something to do with it.
New User
bbrault
0 Kudos

What's a kneazle? Where is that from?
Frequent Contributor
rae_m
0 Kudos

Here is my two-cents:

5. Harry's blood was important to LV because it made it possible for him to touch him. When Lily died she put a protection on Harry that LV couldn't get passed, until it was running through his veins as well as Harry's.

9. I could not disagree more on this topic but if you read around you will quickly discover that.

10. Love is an ancient form of Magic, the type that Lily used as protection and sacrifice for Harry.

11. If RAB isn't Regulus A. Black - it's a round on me!

12. I believe he shouted this because he has been extremely courageous ie being a double agent. I also believe that Snape and DD had a pact resulting in Snape being bound to take DD's life. I don't believe they had planned it for the night it happened but I do believe it was planned.

15. This is assuming Harry is experiencing pity for Malfoy, I don't believe he is.

16. See 12

19. Flying on a broom isn't using a power. The broom is performing magic, not the wizard. Also I completely disagree :smileyhappy:.

My question is why do you ask so many questions that would ruin DHs? LOL
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

rae_m wrote:

15. This is assuming Harry is experiencing pity for Malfoy, I don't believe he is.

It says he feel a little pity for Draco in HBP.
Frequent Contributor
snapessister
0 Kudos

StoryMing wrote:
Among the things I'd like to know:

-Presuming all the Maurauders were from the same house, how could the Sorting Hat possibly have put Wormtail/ Pettigrew in Griffindor?!

-How is the Magical world be kept secret from us Muggles when people like Hermione, Dean and Seamus (and Harry) have Muggle parents and other close Muggle family?

-And yes, I too would be curious to know whether a memory charm was done on Neville, and why, and who did it?

And finally, not a question but a comment; if I had the chance to talk to JKR, I would beg her to *PLEASE* give Harry some Muggle allies, and let us see some Muggles who are NOT the Dursleys! (yes, we glimpsed Frank Bryce, and the Muggle Prime Minister, but they are sort of extras, add-on's; not people whom Harry, and we, get to know.

Man, that would be AWESOME!!!.... I just think that the world that JK has created is too limited to produce a climax of that scale. It's the one thing that has bothered me from the beginning, the magical world is just too self-contained; muggles are insignificant members of an alien society.
(Couldn’t you imagine the muggles, in guerrilla warfare, penetrating the death eater’s lair, and using their own types of weaponry to which the death eater's have no defense?) Now that would be unique!

“Close you eyes…and keep your mind wide open.”
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
How simple it would be for the Death Eaters to just point their wands at the guerillas and say "Avada Kedavra!"

snapessister wrote:
I just think that the world that JK has created is too limited to produce a climax of that scale. It's the one thing that has bothered me from the beginning, the magical world is just too self-contained; muggles are insignificant members of an alien society.
(Couldn’t you imagine the muggles, in guerrilla warfare, penetrating the death eater’s lair, and using their own types of weaponry to which the death eater's have no defense?) Now that would be unique!

“Close you eyes…and keep your mind wide open.”

Message Edited by dcsbelle on 07-18-2007 10:07 PM
Debbie