Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

haha! harry potter and the series of unfortunate events!
first sign that eternal misfortune is about to happen : he lived when he was "killed".

Voldemort had a lot of olaf qualities. Ya’ll seen the movie right?? He looks like him, and he has these wierd looking friends and posses who are petrified of him. I love the movie by the way,. And olaf didn’t care who got killed or who he had to kill to get the kids!!

You do not seem quite happy to have me here in your home lucius.
I shall stuff your face in my armpit if you piss me off!!!

NOOOOOOO!! MY LORD NO!!!
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Before the seventh book, there was no law that required magical kids to attend school. Parents like Marvolo did not send their kids to school. And yet, both of Marvolo's kids had wands.

If that is the case, why did the Ministry break kids' wands when they were expelled from Hogwarts? It seems pretty unfair to me, when they were able to have wands without attending school at all.

What do others think?
Frequent Contributor
ravensilverlight

maybe it's like home schooling? you can be educated at home, and then pass an equivalency exam...MOUSE, the Magic Outside Universities and Schools Exam???
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ravensilverlight wrote:
maybe it's like home schooling? you can be educated at home, and then pass an equivalency exam...MOUSE, the Magic Outside Universities and Schools Exam???

The MOUSE? lol... good one! Couldn't you just imagine Morfin taking a private test? The poor MOUSE Examiner might wind up nailed to the door...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I really like the MOUSE idea; but aside from that, what's to stop someone from just buying a new wand?

Psychee wrote:
Before the seventh book, there was no law that required magical kids to attend school. Parents like Marvolo did not send their kids to school. And yet, both of Marvolo's kids had wands.

If that is the case, why did the Ministry break kids' wands when they were expelled from Hogwarts? It seems pretty unfair to me, when they were able to have wands without attending school at all.

What do others think?

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
They probably have legal documents ensuring that they can no longer - hey, if Grindelwald was expelled from Durmstrang, wouldn't they break his wand? So all that time he was with DD he was wandless, until he obtained the Elder Wand? Or is Durmstrang different?

But yeah, Psychee, it's pretty unfair. Without an education, as in any society, your career path is pretty limited, but you can still afford to support yourself usually. In the wizarding world, I'm pretty sure any job enables a wand. Even ones that didn't, you prbably wouldn't be hired wandless because that would slow the work, don't you think? So by expelling a student, you're pretty much throwing them to the streets - well, to the parents, but after that. That's harsh.

Message Edited by ABI on 09-16-2007 11:39 AM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I really like the MOUSE idea; but aside from that, what's to stop someone from just buying a new wand?

Psychee wrote:

What do others think?

I don't know about legal documents, as ABI suggests, but the wizards had all sorts of laws as to who could use a wand. Elves and Goblins, for example, weren't permitted to use them, so I guess that means that a reputable wand seller wouldn't sell one to them. Maybe that same idea holds for expelled students?

But that does bring us back to how Marvolo's kids and Grindelwald after expulsion got wands of their own... did they steal them?

I suppose it is also possible that Grindelwald disappeared in advance of his expulsion and never got his wand broken...
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Perhaps they only break the wands of students who are found unsuitable for carrying a wand after expulsion? So if they, like Grindelwald, did something or somethings deemed completely and utterly unacceptable as both a student and human being, then they might ensure that this student never committed a form of magic again, to avoid future problems of equal gravity. As opposed to...repeated missing of classes or something along those lines....just musing.

And Psychee, where does it say Marvolo's kids were expelled? I assumed they simply were never schooled, by his choice.

But I agree, Grindelwald probably ran for it prior to his expulsion, knowing what was to come.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
Perhaps they only break the wands of students who are found unsuitable for carrying a wand after expulsion? So if they, like Grindelwald, did something or somethings deemed completely and utterly unacceptable as both a student and human being, then they might ensure that this student never committed a form of magic again, to avoid future problems of equal gravity. As opposed to...repeated missing of classes or something along those lines....just musing.

And Psychee, where does it say Marvolo's kids were expelled? I assumed they simply were never schooled, by his choice.

But I agree, Grindelwald probably ran for it prior to his expulsion, knowing what was to come.

I didn't say Marvolo's kids were expelled... I just said that they had wands of their own when they didn't attend school that we know of, and if there is some kind of law that forbids wand sellers to sell wands to unschooled people, then we have a mystery on our hands as to where they got theirs.

I brought this whole thing up because the Ministry was going to break Harry's wand when they expelled him for producing a Patronus while underage. I understood the expulsion to be the punishment and the the wand breaking to be the result of the expulsion. But if the wand-breaking was also considered part of the punishment, then things make a little more sense...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I don't know. I still think if someone wants a wand they'll find ways to get one.

ABI wrote:
They probably have legal documents ensuring that they can no longer - hey, if Grindelwald was expelled from Durmstrang, wouldn't they break his wand? So all that time he was with DD he was wandless, until he obtained the Elder Wand? Or is Durmstrang different?

But yeah, Psychee, it's pretty unfair. Without an education, as in any society, your career path is pretty limited, but you can still afford to support yourself usually. In the wizarding world, I'm pretty sure any job enables a wand. Even ones that didn't, you prbably wouldn't be hired wandless because that would slow the work, don't you think? So by expelling a student, you're pretty much throwing them to the streets - well, to the parents, but after that. That's harsh.

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I don't know. I still think if someone wants a wand they'll find ways to get one.

ABI wrote:

I didn't say they wouldn't find a way anyway...what law is without huge gaps? I was just thinking along the lines of what the MoM would.
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:

Hagrid was expelled, and had his wand broken. But he kept the pieces inside his umbrella and still managed to do magic with it. If the pieces still work, why bother breaking the wand? Speaking of which, why did Hagrid's wand pieces continue to work, when Ron's wand misfired badly in COS, and Harry's Holly and Phoenix wand wouldn't work after Hermione stepped on it in DH?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Hagrid was expelled, and had his wand broken. But he kept the pieces inside his umbrella and still managed to do magic with it. If the pieces still work, why bother breaking the wand? Speaking of which, why did Hagrid's wand pieces continue to work, when Ron's wand misfired badly in COS, and Harry's Holly and Phoenix wand wouldn't work after Hermione stepped on it in DH?

Presumably because he had it sheathed within the umbrella metal... keeping the pieces well joined. It is also possible, though, that Dumbledore mended it for him with the Elder Wand but told him to keep it hidden inside the umbrella.

What I've wondered about, though, is why people don't use multiple wands strapped together. Harry was able to do some extra powerful magic at the Malfoy Manor when he cast a spell with three wands in his hand at once...
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think it's more likely that Dumbledore mended Hagrid's wand. Dumbledore believed Hagrid was innocent of the charges, and I can see him secretly mending Hagrid's wand. It's a little bit more believable than the pieces just working inside the pink umbrella, no matter how well glued together. Ron tried Spellotaping his wand, but that didn't work.

Yes, why don't people have multiple wands, which when used in concert, are stonger. Of course, they would have to have Ollivander, or someone,explain the properties of each wand so that they didn't chose wands which weren't compatible-how would that square with "the wand chooses the wizard"?.

However, wizards probably were more comfortable with using their own personal wand for normal, everyday use,..much like we are more comfortable driving our own cars rather than rentals..But taking that to the extreme, why wouldn't Voldy have realized the multiplied power of wands and collected bunches of them?

br>Presumably because he had it sheathed within the umbrella metal... keeping the pieces well joined. It is also possible, though, that Dumbledore mended it for him with the Elder Wand but told him to keep it hidden inside the umbrella.

What I've wondered about, though, is why people don't use multiple wands strapped together. Harry was able to do some extra powerful magic at the Malfoy Manor when he cast a spell with three wands in his hand at once...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Yes, why don't people have multiple wands, which when used in concert, are stonger. Of course, they would have to have Ollivander, or someone,explain the properties of each wand so that they didn't chose wands which weren't compatible-how would that square with "the wand chooses the wizard"?.

However, wizards probably were more comfortable with using their own personal wand for normal, everyday use,..much like we are more comfortable driving our own cars rather than rentals..But taking that to the extreme, why wouldn't Voldy have realized the multiplied power of wands and collected bunches of them?

br>

Because he's as dumb as Count Olaf? :smileyhappy: