Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
potterfreak2
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

Psychee wrote:

8. Why didn't the Order and the "seven Potters" have disillusionment charms on themselves as they were leaving Privet Drive?

The Order couldn't use magic around Harry while they were still at Privet Drive because the ministry would know if someone did magic there, and since Harry was still underage at the time he couldn't do magic and since Voldemort already had people in the ministry working for him they would know that he was probably being moved that night and even if they didn't think that it would still be a good excuse for some Death Eaters working for the ministry to go to Privet Drive to expel him or w.e but really capture him for Voldemort.
Contributor
mmm927
0 Kudos

cocktailbball15 wrote:
I think that's a pretty good list...
and I really would like to know:
1. Where is Harry's Firebolt?
2. Where is the body of Mad-eye moody?
3. What ended up with Luna and all the other characters... (I thought Luna and Neville would get together...)?
4. How did Neville get Godric's Sword to kill Nigini? Did the Sorting hat ring it to him?
5. Who is Victorie?... Who Teddy Lupin was seen "snogging"?

Just a couple questions I had...=)

I think I might be able to help with a few of these.

1. I think we have to assume that Harry's Firebolt was lost in that massive aerial fight. The text said that it fell out of the sidecar, and Harry was just barely able to save Hedwig & his rucksack from the same fate.

2. Mad-Eye's body was obviously recovered and disposed of by the ministry. Where exactly they deposited it is unsure, but that they hid it well is quite probable.

3. This one I agree that I wish we had more info. Neville obviously becomes a professor at Hogwarts in herbology, while Percy appears to be continuing in his natural role as authoritative bureaucrat, issuing regulations and warnings to the Hogwarts students. But I wish we knew more about what happened to the other DA members especially Luna, Dean and Seamus. As well as the members of the Order, especially George, McGonagall and the other professors.

4. I wondered about his one myself for a while, and still wish a few more lines of prose had helped to flesh out Neville's glorious moment. After much thought, however, I did come to a conclusion on how it happened. As seen in CoS and explained by Dumbledore (in Snape's memories), a "true Gryffindor" can retrieve Godric's sword "under conditions of need and valor". In CoS the Sorting Hat, which also belonged to Godric Gryffindor and was imbued by him with a unique magical sentience, acted as a sort of conduit to transport the sword in such moments. I was initially puzzled because the sword had been taken by the goblin at Gringott's, but then I remembered Bill's explanation that Goblins viewed anything Goblin-made as only on rent to the purchaser. So it is likely that the goblin's story that the sword did not truly belong to GG was not explicitly true. As such, when that next "condition of need and valor" met a "true Gryffindor" in contact with the Sorting Hat, the sword once again was transported to where it was needed and it belonged.

5. Finally, I think it is obvious that Victoire was Bill and Fleur's daughter. Not only is this an obviously French based name, but Bill, as the first Weasley married, is probably the only sibling to have been in a position of offering Ron & Ginny's children a cousin old enough to be at all close to Teddy in age.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:

I'm sure this is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion on the board, but I'm a bit disappointed in the book

I'm disappointed also and I tried so hard not to be. I went into the last book willing to accept just about anything. Still, I found it lacking. I tried to like it, I really, really did but this book does nothing for me. It's a good thing I read most of it in my PJ's because I kept falling asleep at times.

I understand it's not possible for JKR to answer all our questions and I love having some things left up to my imagination. But then there were things we were sort of expecting to learn.

What about the married professors? Why was that information restricted? Why the hint there was someone else at Godric's Hollow the night the Potter's died? Lily's eyes? What was it? Snape wanting to see them again? bleh What about Horcrux Harry? That was a biggie and yet only until the end did we and Harry learn about it.

I'd better stop. So disappointing in so many ways.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I felt just as your post described, but I wonder if this is her way of giving us another book in the future. I mean,its gonna be 1000 pages at this point lol. After having a day after the reading and lots of sleep, I'm trying to look at the future and imagine a day when we will have a lot more answers. But yeah, it seemed like there was this invitation to read to the end and we'd get certain answers, what James did for a living, married professors, and all that is missing and I keep wondering why she said those things if they were left out. Yep, I'm still disappointed, but there's nothing we can do but wait for more answers from her and won't that be exciting. : )

amm1 wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

I'm sure this is going to be an extremely unpopular opinion on the board, but I'm a bit disappointed in the book

I'm disappointed also and I tried so hard not to be. I went into the last book willing to accept just about anything. Still, I found it lacking. I tried to like it, I really, really did but this book does nothing for me. It's a good thing I read most of it in my PJ's because I kept falling asleep at times.

I understand it's not possible for JKR to answer all our questions and I love having some things left up to my imagination. But then there were things we were sort of expecting to learn.

What about the married professors? Why was that information restricted? Why the hint there was someone else at Godric's Hollow the night the Potter's died? Lily's eyes? What was it? Snape wanting to see them again? bleh What about Horcrux Harry? That was a biggie and yet only until the end did we and Harry learn about it.

Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

I don't recall if JKR ever brought up the subject of professors being married, or was that something that came up on the boards, like so many other things that had never been mentioned in the books? Aside from the possibility that Snape and Lily might have gone on to something more than friendship, none have been mentioned that I recall. I don't see that it would have anything to do with the story, anyway. There was enough going on with the students, the Order, the DEs, the horcruxes, the Weasleys and the Dursley's, IMO. Since one of the complaints has been disappointment that some loose ends didn't appear to be tied up, why would anyone be disappointed that things not even mentioned in the previous books, sort of invented by some readers, like the idea that Mme. Pince being Snape's mother in disguise, would be included or explained?

amm1 wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Contributor
HpFan840
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Just to get it out there parseltongue isn't magic is just a dark art. Besides isn't ron of age??? The Law Against Underage Magic only accounts if ur underage rite???

Message Edited by HpFan840 on 07-22-2007 08:53 PM
I Salute Mad-Eye Moody May He Rest In Peace
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

From Red Nose Day Chat, BBC Online, March 12, 2001

Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?
JKR: Good question - yes, a few of them, but that information is sort of restricted - you'll find out why..

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2001/0301-bbc-rednose.htm#spouse

Honestly, I think there were things in previous books that need answers, or at least we'd really like the answers. If you don't see the desire for the answers, that's fine, but a lot of us have so many unanswered questions. Also, there were things that Rowing said would be answered and they weren't in my opinion, so we were anticipating answers and don't have them. Hopefully she'll answer those in interviews or a charity book, but I think we have valid reasons for wanting some of these answers. I don't remember reading post-release that anyone wants to know if Snape was Madam Pince or it was his mother, but if she answers that one, it would be great.

MsJinx wrote:
I don't recall if JKR ever brought up the subject of professors being married, or was that something that came up on the boards, like so many other things that had never been mentioned in the books? Aside from the possibility that Snape and Lily might have gone on to something more than friendship, none have been mentioned that I recall. I don't see that it would have anything to do with the story, anyway. There was enough going on with the students, the Order, the DEs, the horcruxes, the Weasleys and the Dursley's, IMO. Since one of the complaints has been disappointment that some loose ends didn't appear to be tied up, why would anyone be disappointed that things not even mentioned in the previous books, sort of invented by some readers, like the idea that Mme. Pince being Snape's mother in disguise, would be included or explained?

amm1 wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. It was insinuated in the epilogue that Teddy had never lived with the Potter family, but... wasn't Harry Teddy's godfather? When Tonks and Lupin died, Harry was of age and out of school, so wouldn't he automatically get custody of Teddy? Or did he go back to Hogwarts to finish, go on to become an Auror? If that was the case, WHO got custody of Teddy?

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Isn't parseltongue just a language? Its not necessarily magic. It could be I guess, but Ron is magic already, so does this count? It sounds like Ted was the one doing magic. And to me, it didnt seem like it was his first time, so maybe his magic came before the time frame of this book?

MsJinx wrote:
I thought the person doing magic under desperate circs was Ron, speaking Parseltongue so he and Hermoine could gather Basilisk fangs to kill Horcruxes.

StoryMing wrote:
I imagine, after some thought, that Victoire must have been Fleur and Bill's daughter.
And yeah, who *WAS* the non-magical person who did magic under desperate circumstances? Did I miss it

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

halfscripts wrote:
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. It was insinuated in the epilogue that Teddy had never lived with the Potter family, but... wasn't Harry Teddy's godfather? When Tonks and Lupin died, Harry was of age and out of school, so wouldn't he automatically get custody of Teddy? Or did he go back to Hogwarts to finish, go on to become an Auror? If that was the case, WHO got custody of Teddy?

Teddy was left in the care of his grandmother Tonks when his mother and father went to fight at Hogwarts. It would be natural and appropriate for him to remain with his grandmother. The godfather does not have to be the legal guardian.
Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

halfscripts wrote:

Teddy was left in the care of his grandmother Tonks when his mother and father went to fight at Hogwarts. It would be natural and appropriate for him to remain with his grandmother. The godfather does not have to be the legal guardian.

Oh! I didn't even think of that, thanks :smileyhappy: I imagine that would be a small comfort to his grandmother, too, since the rest of her family was lost.

I wonder if Lupin passed on any werewolf traits to his son in the end, as he feared? Although I'm sure she would've mentioned that...

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I wondered that about Teddy as well. I also don't know that the Draco is a werewolf thing was cleared up, although I don't think he is one. There was the joke in chapter 1 about Draco taking care of Lupin's cubs and I wondered if that sort of left the werewolf thing open for discussion. Its wierd, its like the discussions aren't ending because she left so many unanswered questions. Maybe that's part of Rowlings 'gift' to us, so we don't all need to run to a therapist immediately lol.

halfscripts wrote:
Oh! I didn't even think of that, thanks :smileyhappy: I imagine that would be a small comfort to his grandmother, too, since the rest of her family was lost.

I wonder if Lupin passed on any werewolf traits to his son in the end, as he feared? Although I'm sure she would've mentioned that...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

The text about the non-magical person is as follows:

Q. Will there be, or have there been, any "late blooming" students in the school who come into their magic potential as adults, rather than as children? By the way, I loved meeting you, and hearing you speak, when you came to Anderson's in Naperville. I can hardly wait until you tour again.

A. Ahhh! I loved the event at Anderson's. It was one of my favorites. That is completely true. No, is the answer. In my books, magic almost always shows itself in a person before age 11; however, there is a character who does manage in desperate circumstances to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare in the world I am writing about.

Source: http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/1999/0399-barnesandnoble.html

I wonder if the person was originally Filch but never got written... but it is also possible that she meant Stan Shunpike, whom I always thought was a squib up until this book, and in this book we saw him confunded riding a broomstick and using a wand..
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Werewolf questions...

I think the description of the child in the photo answered the question... he had turquoise hair, so he took after Tonks, and although that doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of his having Lupin's condition, I think it was meant to reassure us that he does not.

The comment by Voldy to Draco probably arose out of the fact that Draco was more fearful of werewolves than anything else as one can tell from each time he was in the vicinity of Fenrir... Voldy was taunting him with his own fears...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Good point about Stan, could be.

Psychee wrote:
I wonder if the person was originally Filch but never got written... but it is also possible that she meant Stan Shunpike, whom I always thought was a squib up until this book, and in this book we saw him confunded riding a broomstick and using a wand..
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Yeah, I forgot about that. : ) I would be too if Grayback was around my house growing up.

Psychee wrote:
Werewolf questions...

I think the description of the child in the photo answered the question... he had turquoise hair, so he took after Tonks, and although that doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of his having Lupin's condition, I think it was meant to reassure us that he does not.

The comment by Voldy to Draco probably arose out of the fact that Draco was more fearful of werewolves than anything else as one can tell from each time he was in the vicinity of Fenrir... Voldy was taunting him with his own fears...

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

My first read through was definitely rushed, and I'd never done that with a previous book, so I wonder if some of my disappointment was related to reading so fast that I didnt grab hold of emotional moments. Hoping that comes with the second re-read.
Contributor
silverdoe93
0 Kudos

potterfreak2 wrote:

Psychee wrote:

lneikam wrote:
Hello! I've been following the threads for quite some time but this is the first time that I've posted something! I totally agree w/ Psychee - a lot of unanswered questions...but my question is the cover art. Was that any of the scences in the book? Did I miss something?

The USA cover illustates the moment when the elder wand has left Voldemort's hand and is in the air with Harry ready to catch it. There is bright orangy sunlight reflected in the ceiling above.

The curtains do not exist in the scene. If you open the book and read the inside of the cover, you'll see words that say something like "We are pleased to present the conclusion" or something like that... the curtains are just symbolic -- as though the scene had been on a stage. The artist used the curtains she had put on the first book, which were being opened, and placed them on this last book for a symmetric conclusion.

I was wondering too about the cover, and while I see what you mean Psychee I don't get the background. Why is there a bridge and are those shadowy things supposed to be all the people watching? because they seem very far away and few in numbers when it seemed like it was most of the people that had been fighting watching their battle and they were right up close because they were in the entrance hall.

i think the artist made them far away to show that they were insignificant (just for that one battle) and that it was just between harry and voldemort.

also...

who is teddy living with? since both lupin and tonks died and tonks's dad. maybe he lives with tonks' mom?

WHAT ABOUT THE VEIL?!?!??!
i was dying to know more about that. but it wasnt even mentioned. i guess because it wasnt important. but i wonder if you just pshed someone through it would they die?

&& who was the nonmagical person that performed magic late in life?
"Does it make a difference, being Muggle-born?"
"No. It doesn't make any difference."
Contributor
silverdoe93
0 Kudos

casstrot wrote:

cocktailbball15 wrote:
I think that's a pretty good list...
and I really would like to know:
1. Where is Harry's Firebolt?
2. Where is the body of Mad-eye moody?
3. What ended up with Luna and all the other characters... (I thought Luna and Neville would get together...)?
4. How did Neville get Godric's Sword to kill Nigini? Did the Sorting hat ring it to him?
5. Who is Victorie?... Who Teddy Lupin was seen "snogging"?

Just a couple questions I had...=)

I assume Harry's Firebolt got destroyed because didn't it fall from the air when Harry was riding in Hagrid's side car?
I too wondered what happened with some of the other characters, as well as what career paths the ones we did know about took.
I also wondered how Neville got the sword because the last we saw of it the goblin took it in Gringotts. I never even thought about the sorting hat giving it to him like it had to Harry until you suggested that, so that's a good one.
In a different thread someone guessed that Victoire is Fleur and Bill's daughter because she would be a bit younger than Teddy and because (I think it was Lily) says that if they got married then they would REALLY be cousins. I think that is a really good guess so I'll go with that one.

1. well it fell to the ground in the very beginning. so the death eaters may have picked it up, it may have been destroyed by a stray spell, the order members may have gone back, though i doubt it, as it was not needed, OR a muggle picked it up and used it to sweep her kitchen (my favorite theory)

2. I assumed the ministry or someone found it because his eye was on the door of umbridges office. or maybe it was a replica. i dont know.

3. i think the only reason people would see luna and neville together is that they are both sort of outcasts. other than that...theres nothing to suggest they would have a relationship. oyu never know though.

4.many people have said the sorting hat gave it to him. i dont know if that was in the book. i might have skipped over it, i rushed through the book.

5.i agree with casstrot. victoire would be their cousin and ginny's niece if she was bill and fleur's daughter.
"Does it make a difference, being Muggle-born?"
"No. It doesn't make any difference."
New User
laney619
0 Kudos

I agree about Teddy...Despite all Harry went through, he was only 17, too young to be saddled with an orphan. Besides, he deserved some time off not having to worry about anything, including an infant.

What I want to know is, who is Snape's source in the Order? When he tells Voldemort the right date of Harry's departure from his house to the Burrow, how did he know? I vaguely recall some conversation about this - was it Dumbledore's portrait?