Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sarahlu78
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

Psychee wrote:
He knew the cup was a Horcrux and I guess that was the reason he thought it was there. He would have been really stumped if it had been the diadem, though, wouldn't he?

When did he figure this out? Was it in Book 6? If not, I *totally* skimmed over something.

Also, wasn't it interesting that the diadem Luna's father was making was nothing like the real diadem?
Contributor
mmm927
0 Kudos

halfscripts wrote:
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. It was insinuated in the epilogue that Teddy had never lived with the Potter family, but... wasn't Harry Teddy's godfather? When Tonks and Lupin died, Harry was of age and out of school, so wouldn't he automatically get custody of Teddy? Or did he go back to Hogwarts to finish, go on to become an Auror? If that was the case, WHO got custody of Teddy?

I think he lived with Tonks' mother. Andromeda was still alive and caring for baby Teddy during the final battle. I think that it would have been extremely reasonable for her to continue the daily care for the baby (which Harry as a 17 year old would have no clue about) while Harry remained a constant and important part of his life.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Another question for people to take a stab at...

Why was Voldemort knocked unconscious by the AK curse he hit Harry with in the Dark Forest?

The curse could not have backfired on him as it did go into Harry to kill off the soul piece, and it wasn't a wand backfire like at the end... could it just be because of the soul connection between Harry and Voldy? A parallel to Harry feeling what Voldemort felt all along but now the reverse occurring?
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

sarahlu78 wrote:
I have a question. I think I mist have missed this detail--how did Harry know to go to Gringotts to find the cup? I know he knew there was something important in the vault because of the way Bellatrix was acting, but how did he know it was the cup, specifically?

I think that it was the only one he knew about besides Nagini (go neville!) . Or was it becasue he saw it there in the vault at that time?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

sarahlu78 wrote:

Psychee wrote:
He knew the cup was a Horcrux and I guess that was the reason he thought it was there. He would have been really stumped if it had been the diadem, though, wouldn't he?

When did he figure this out? Was it in Book 6? If not, I *totally* skimmed over something.

Also, wasn't it interesting that the diadem Luna's father was making was nothing like the real diadem?

That was the cup that Voldy had taken from Hepzibah Smith in the Book 6 pensieve memory.
New User
sarahlu78
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:
could it just be because of the soul connection between Harry and Voldy?

That's what I assumed....because he was hitting himself, too, by hitting Harry.

ETA: Psychee--thanks, I'm glad it was in Book 6. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by sarahlu78 on 07-23-2007 10:07 AM
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Another question for people to take a stab at...

Why was Voldemort knocked unconscious by the AK curse he hit Harry with in the Dark Forest?

The curse could not have backfired on him as it did go into Harry to kill off the soul piece, and it wasn't a wand backfire like at the end... could it just be because of the soul connection between Harry and Voldy? A parallel to Harry feeling what Voldemort felt all along but now the reverse occurring?

I thought it was because as DD puts it, he was tethering Harry to life. And "killing" Harry caused such force, because they shared his blood. Just my thoughts.
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

This has been making me crazy...i just got this out of the accio-quote.org website:

"Do we find out more about James Potters' family history in the next books?
JKR: Yes, you do..."

When??? Who are they? Why don't Grandma and Grandpa Potter ever help or even acknowledge Harry at all??? Weren't they a great wizarding family? Were there no cousins? anyone??

Also, totally parenthetically, wouldn't it have been in the HRH character to use a nickname for voldemort when they found out the trace on the name? So unlike them to use the whole "you know who" thing...call him Riddle, for example.
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

joyd wrote:
This has been making me crazy...i just got this out of the accio-quote.org website:

When??? Who are they? Why don't Grandma and Grandpa Potter ever help or even acknowledge Harry at all??? Weren't they a great wizarding family? Were there no cousins? anyone??

Also, totally parenthetically, wouldn't it have been in the HRH character to use a nickname for voldemort when they found out the trace on the name? So unlike them to use the whole "you know who" thing...call him Riddle, for example.

I think she meant Lily and Harry.
Contributor
mmm927
0 Kudos

I think his gleam of triumph was related to the fact that Voldy used Harry's blood to return, He suspected even then that this might help provide a path for Harry to defeat death. According to the conversation in Kings Cross, Dumbledore said that Harry could return because a part of him still lived in Voldy through the blood-magic provided by Lily and absorbed by Voldemort in the graveyard. It acted as a sort of Horcrux without requiring a samaging split to the soul.

It might also have to do with the fact that with his knowledge he saw Voldemort as still completely ignorant of the truly important things, too self-absorbed to see the truth, and acting just as expected.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

joyd wrote:

The grandparents on both sides were all dead. We discovered in this book that James and one of his parents were descendants of Ignotus Peverell.

Funny, I was thinking about their using a nickname, too... like "snake breath", or something...
Contributor
raggedy11
0 Kudos

I have a lot of similar questions to the ones that have been posted ... mostly regarding the "clues" JK gave us in her interviews before the book came out. I think some of the aspects of the book will need to "sink in" a bit for me and maybe then I will figure out some answers for myself.

I was really hoping that somehow Neville's parents would be made well.

disappointed that Dolores Umbridge did not get her due; she needed something like Molly Weasley's line to Bellatrix.

I think many of us were due to be disappointed, simply because it was the last book in the series. We want more Harry Potter!

I have a kind of silly question that was brought up on the Pottercast at Mugglenet. Some pretty big bets were being placed on whether Harry would live or die ... he did both so who is going to win?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

raggedy11 wrote:
I have a kind of silly question that was brought up on the Pottercast at Mugglenet. Some pretty big bets were being placed on whether Harry would live or die ... he did both so who is going to win?

Harry did not die at all, according to Dumbledore, he remained very much alive.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Delores Umbridge... she had a Horcrux but she didn't receive it until sometime after she sent the Dementors to get Harry on Privet Drive. We truly do not know when she actually received it...

I don't think she was made more evil by wearing the Horcrux... what do other folks think?
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

I'd like to know did Harry ever complete his education (and bcm an auror)?
I feel v. disappointed that he had to drop out, had no final year AT HOGWARTS.
New User
Inker
0 Kudos

I believe that JKR said a "character" would use magic in desperate situation. It seems to me that that "character" is Neville because the times are so desperate and when he slashes Nagini I'd call that a pretty desperate situation also.
Contributor
emmyann419
0 Kudos

sarahlu78 wrote:

Psychee wrote:

He knew, becaus Bellatrix freaked out when Gryffindor's sword showed up at the Malfoy house... that lead the three muskateers to believe it was at Gringott's, because she thought her vault had been broken into and she knew that Voldemort had stored something else valuable in her family vault.
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

Not really a question left unanswered, but we didn't see how the ministry got "luxified." Did Kingsley and company perform a giant Reductor curse on that black statue? And what about Umbridge? To my thinking, she was no less evil than Bellatrix, who at least was honest about herself, or the Carrows, whose magical gifts were probably greater, but who were a good deal cruder than Umbridge.
0 Kudos

I have a question... in the King's Cross chapter, who or what was the baby/thing crying that Harry was ignoring, because he could no longer help it/him"?
Contributor
emmyann419
0 Kudos

I agree! I was so happy to hear he was a teacher! I was a bit surprised that he was not the one who killed Voldemort... I kind of thought he might, but beating the snake and having his grandmother on his side did wonders for him!

Inker wrote:
I believe that JKR said a "character" would use magic in desperate situation. It seems to me that that "character" is Neville because the times are so desperate and when he slashes Nagini I'd call that a pretty desperate situation also.