Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

pigwidge wrote:
I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not or if I just read to quickly....

But how was Voldy able to fly?????

New Voldy magic... he taught it to Snape, too. Maybe it is an advanced form of "Wingardium Leviosa"? Frightening, the way it was used. He almost seemed like a Dementor, didnt he?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I thought Riddle had an inkling of flying even as a child though. The rabbit on the rafters and Harry winding up on the school roof. I just thought that was a clue that he had the ability to fly although obviously not as well as later on. Funny how Lily seemed to have something of that ability too jumping off the swing.

Psychee wrote:

pigwidge wrote:
I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not or if I just read to quickly....

But how was Voldy able to fly?????

New Voldy magic... he taught it to Snape, too. Maybe it is an advanced form of "Wingardium Leviosa"? Frightening, the way it was used. He almost seemed like a Dementor, didnt he?

Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I thought Riddle had an inkling of flying even as a child though. The rabbit on the rafters and Harry winding up on the school roof. I just thought that was a clue that he had the ability to fly although obviously not as well as later on. Funny how Lily seemed to have something of that ability too jumping off the swing.

Yes, I think Riddle had been doing it as a child. What's funny is I am almost certain JKR said in one of her old interviews that wizards could not fly. Seems she changed her mind.
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

Elderwand wrote:

Psychee wrote:
Delores Umbridge... she had a Horcrux but she didn't receive it until sometime after she sent the Dementors to get Harry on Privet Drive. We truly do not know when she actually received it...

I don't think she was made more evil by wearing the Horcrux... what do other folks think?

Why is it that when DD wore the ring, he suffered a major curse because it was a horcrux, but Delores Umbridge suffered nothing from wearing the pendant....I don't recall now whether thy had to break the horcrux or whether RAB had already done this....did RAB receive a curse from uplifting the pendent originally, or was this what Kreacher experienced when he was underwater in the cave..?

There is no telling what kind of suffering Umbridge has experienced, for the brief glimpse we get of her in DH. One would think, however, that she would be desensitized to that kind of thing, because she is PURE EVIL enough already! Voldy at one point refers to his horcruxes as "experiments," which leads me to believe all horcri are not created equal. The ring, the locket, and the diary have all behaved differently, haven't they?
New User
wexie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
victoire could have been georges daughter since he is ginnys brother 2 right?

Message Edited by wexie on 07-25-2007 02:37 PM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Yeah, TCON was it. :smileyhappy: Thanks (brain fade due to lack of sleep).

ravensilverlight wrote:

pedsphleb wrote:
I think there are a couple things that play into Harry surviving.

1. In literature and mythology great power is given to innocents who willingly sacrifice themselves without fear of death. If you read Lloyd Alexander's The Black Cauldron, Gurgi willingly throws himself into the Cauldron to save all of his friends even though he knows that any living thing that enters the Cauldron will immediately die (the Cauldron makes an army of living dead). Thus the Cauldron is destroyed, but Gurgi is somehow brought back to life. There's also another example but for the life of me I can't put my finger on it.

Chronicles of Narnia - Aslan agrees to take the place of one of the brothers (i forget names, sorry) who betrayed the siblings to the white witch. He is executed, but because he is innocent, the stone table is destroyed, Aslan does not die, and time itself works backward. Is that the one you can't put your finger on?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Hear ye, hear ye!

JKR is having a live chat on July 30th, and you can submit questions in advance for consideration here:
http://livechat.bloomsbury.com/index.php
New User
mlejoy
0 Kudos

also along those same lines..

why do they have to go to the "muggle" train station to get to hogwarts? why can't they disguise some building as their station (i.e. leaky cauldron as entrance to diagon alley or the store front that is the entrance to st. mungos)

and why do they have to use owls to send messages? why do they have to write messages at all? who hand writes anything in modern times - if i was a wizard i'd make up a way to "apparate" my message directly to the person i needed to send it to.

i realize a lot of it is for the sake of the story - but it just doesn't make sense to me
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Er...

Well...

They DID disguise their train station as a normal building...a train station.

And, you don't just Apparate a message...you'd have to be holding it, you'd have to be WITH it...as we see in HBP, it's rude to just Apparate into someone's home...owls are just more convenient. Plus, they're cute.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Hear ye, hear ye!

JKR is having a live chat on July 30th, and you can submit questions in advance for consideration here:

I just submitted all my questions to that site. Hope we get a few answers!
New User
hermiones_homie
0 Kudos

Ted Tonks wasn't a muggle. In OoTP Sirius said, "Andromeda's (Tonks' mom) sisters (Bellatrix and Narcissa) are still here because they made lovely, respectable pure-blood marriages, but Andromeda married a muggle-born, Ted Tonks, so ---"
Ted Tonks was a muggle born wizard, not a muggle. And yes, Petunia had been in contact with Dumbledore, but not recently. When he implied that he had been in contact with her before, it was explained in DH that she had written to him asking to be accepted into Hogwarts when Lily had been accepted and I don't believe they had any contact between then and the night Harry was left on their doorstep.

delphiandreams wrote:
Alright IMHO, I think several of the things you listed where answered. Here are my views...

Psychee wrote:
Thanks for the thread!

1. Who was the non-magical person who did magic under desperate circumstances?
Weren't we told several times that Andromeda married a muggle, Ted Tonks. That is why she was erased from the Black family tree. When Harry arrives at the Tonks's house after his run in with the Death Eaters its says on page 64 of the american edition, "Anything else broken? I've fixed your ribs, your tooth, your arm. I'm Ted, by the way, Ted Tonks" I guess it is possible he could have simply muggle set bones...but put a tooth back?

2. What happened the night the Potters died? Who informed Dumbledore? Why didn't Dumbledore get the child himself? Why did he send Hagrid? When did Wormtail retrieve Voldy's wand?

3. Where is Voldemort's old body buried?

4. What do those silver instruments in Dumbledore's office do? How does his watch work? How was he "watching Harry more carefully than he would know"? How did he know to send the owl to Petunia in the kitchen?
How did he know how to send the owl? He's Dumbledore! And he and Petunia had been in contact before...
5. Are any of the Death Eaters besides Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Wormtail dead?
I believe so because it says Voledmort screamed when Bellatrix "hist last leutentant died" (forgive my atrocious spelling)
6. How did Fenrir Grayback get out of the castle and able to come back to fight again after he was seen unconscious after being hit over the head by Trelawney's crystal ball?

7. Why was the Sorcerer's Stone in Dumbledore's possession at the start of the story?
Start of the series? Because Nicholas Flamel asked him to guard it because Dumbledore thought Voldemort may be out to get it
8. Why didn't the Order and the "seven Potters" have disillusionment charms on themselves as they were leaving Privet Drive?
That would have defeated the purpose, they wanted to distract and confuse the Death Eaters
9. Where were the Dursleys taken and how are they?

10. What did Dudley see when the dementors attacked him -- why did he hear scary voices?

11. Why were the house elves not using elf magic when they joined the fight?

12. Where was Sirius' motorcycle stored all these years?

13. What was the career path of all the principles of the story after the fighting was over? Did the three heros return to school to finish their seventh year?

14. Why did JKR tell us that Harry might get a new pet?
Because she thought he might, maybe she was going to write in another pet after she killed of Hedwig. Maybe the dragon lol
15. Did Umbridge ever get punished?

16. Where's Fluffy and why wasn't he fighting?

17. Why wasn't Victor Krum fighting? Where was Madam Maxine?

18. Did the elves ever get more freedoms?

19. How did the Durmstrang boat appear inside the Lake? Is there a connecting waterway?
Magic
20. What happened to Florean Fortescue?
My guess is Voldemort killed her
21. What did James and Lilly do for a living?

22. What are the twelve uses of dragon's blood?

23. How was Dumbledore able to see invisible things?
Did I miss that? Where does it say that?
24. How did Dumbledore learn how to understand Parseltongue?
I don't remember this being discussed either but since Ron figured out how to open the Chamber of Secrets by imitating Harry I guess it can be learned
25. Which teachers are married? I can't see any of them being married, its like a Catholic school...they are nuns and monks lol

Contributor
xoxocutiexoxo
0 Kudos

Who is Victorie?... Who Teddy Lupin was seen "snogging"?

cute question lolzzzzzz
..::ME::..
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Wow thanks Psychee! I just submitted some too.

Psychee wrote:
Hear ye, hear ye!

Contributor
jurnee
0 Kudos

Psychee came up with wonderful questions! To answer Toner, I thought that the statement "in essence divided" is now referring to the split of Voldemort's soul, one being in Harry and the other stayed with him. And I agree with munkyluv 717 that these books seem to be flowing towards adultish material. Some questions I had were along the lines of everyone else, I was curious:

1. Had Dumbledore not removed Riddle from the orphanage what would of happened?
2. Did the teachers have partners and did they all live in the castle?
3. Where did Regulus end up?
4. What now happens to Grimmauld Place?
5. I miss that a family tree wasn't included about the Potter/Evans lineage, we were never given the names of Harry's grandparents.
6. What happened to Neville's grandmother?
7. Did the Malfoy's suffer any lingering repercussions since they were connected to Voldemort?
8. If Voldemort had looked into the Mirror of Erised, what would he have saw?

I would like to assume that George would of experimented with the Extendable Ears idea to replace what he had lost. I just wish more loose ends would of had a definite answer :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

To answer all of that would have required the extra chapters of The Lord of the Rings. It makes sense there because, as Orson Scott Card says, that is a story about the Milieu, and does not end until the last Ring-Bearer has left, closing the epilogue of the Third Age. And for the same reason, Tolkien includes all the appendices. But this is a story about Harry's struggles. In Card's taxonomy, it could be either a Character story or an Event story (the fourth kind is the Idea story, MICE).

I was hoping that the Narrator would step in and sum things up, closing the story in the same fashion it opened. Rowling chose otherwise, and I can pretend to just enough humility to say that she knew what she was doing.
0 Kudos

This one I can answer: In "Kreacher's Tale" he tells HRH that the Inferi in the lake dragged Regulus under the water.

jurnee wrote:
Where did Regulus end up
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Contributor
jurnee
0 Kudos

Thank you! That's what happens when you rush :smileywink: I'm re-reading HBP and will then do book #7 again, I always understand a bit more with repetitive readings.
Contributor
NanMcD
0 Kudos

Elderwand wrote:

Psychee wrote:
Delores Umbridge... she had a Horcrux but she didn't receive it until sometime after she sent the Dementors to get Harry on Privet Drive. We truly do not know when she actually received it...

I don't think she was made more evil by wearing the Horcrux... what do other folks think?

Why is it that when DD wore the ring, he suffered a major curse because it was a horcrux, but Delores Umbridge suffered nothing from wearing the pendant....I don't recall now whether thy had to break the horcrux or whether RAB had already done this....did RAB receive a curse from uplifting the pendent originally, or was this what Kreacher experienced when he was underwater in the cave..?

I think the problem was that DD tried to USE the ring as a Hallow, forgetting that it had been turned into a Horcrux which caused his arm serious damage. It wasn't the wearing of the ring that hurt him, but trying to use it's magical properties. Does that make sense?
"Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does... I am the true master of the Elder Wand."
~Harry (DH p.743)
Contributor
NanMcD
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Here's an addition to my questions list:

How did Peter Pettigrew ever get sorted into Gryffindor? It seems to me that he had all the qualities of a Slytherin, taking care of himself first, latching onto more powerful people, etc...

Didn't Harry tell his son Albus that the Sorting Hat listens to what you want too? Maybe he knew Sirius and James (since he idolized both of them) and wanted badly for the Sorting Hat to place him in Gryffindor...
"Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does... I am the true master of the Elder Wand."
~Harry (DH p.743)
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

NanMcD wrote:

Psychee wrote:
Here's an addition to my questions list:

How did Peter Pettigrew ever get sorted into Gryffindor? It seems to me that he had all the qualities of a Slytherin, taking care of himself first, latching onto more powerful people, etc...

Didn't Harry tell his son Albus that the Sorting Hat listens to what you want too? Maybe he knew Sirius and James (since he idolized both of them) and wanted badly for the Sorting Hat to place him in Gryffindor...

Hmmm... I thought the Sorting Hat gave Harry the option of choosing because he was "very difficult" to sort. He had qualities of a Slytherin -- ambition, a desire to prove himself, etc., and the Sorting Hat felt that this could be a house that would help him realize his ambitions. On the other hand, he had courage and a bright intellect. Harry told him "Not Slytherin!" and the Sorting Hat therefore placed him in Gryffindor.

I don't think it would make much sense for the Hat to place a kid in any house he chose; I think the child would have to have the qualities of that house before he would get in.

Was Harry leading his child to expect a choice when there was none? I don't think so. If the child was a lot like him, the child might have the same choices...

Those are just my thoughts, though... others might have different ideas...