Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

Another question that has been answered is how Dumbledore knew to come back at that critical point in Sorcerer's Stone. When Harry mentioned seeing Dumbledore presenting him with the House Cup (as he was looking in the Mirror of Erised, and making something up for Quirrel) Dumbledore's Deluminator must have picked up his voice and Dumbledore knew he was in trouble...
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Yeah, Psychee, never thought of that, actually.

Here's my relatively short list of insignificant questions i would like her to have filled answers to(that might have been a little too wordy):

#1 Harry and Dudley's relationship following their somewhat awkward make-up.

#2 the fate of Kreacher, Grawp, and Hagrid.

#3 Whether or not any of Harry's kids inherited his scar (which seems unlikely, but who knows?).

#4 How the Weasleys accepted the death of Fred.

#5 What happened to Griphook?

#6 What happened to the Malfoys (Narcissa and Lucious).

#7 Who is Headmistress/master at Hogwarts after McGonagoll.

Additionally, I'd like to ask why one of Harry's kids weren't named after Sirius?
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Maybe James' middle name is Sirius. I would bet it is : ) Or maybe its James Arthur?

ABI wrote:
Yeah, Psychee, never thought of that, actually.

Here's my relatively short list of insignificant questions i would like her to have filled answers to(that might have been a little too wordy):

#1 Harry and Dudley's relationship following their somewhat awkward make-up.

#2 the fate of Kreacher, Grawp, and Hagrid.

#3 Whether or not any of Harry's kids inherited his scar (which seems unlikely, but who knows?).

#4 How the Weasleys accepted the death of Fred.

#5 What happened to Griphook?

#7 Who is Headmistress/master at Hogwarts after McGonagoll.

Additionally, I'd like to ask why one of Harry's kids weren't named after Sirius?

Message Edited by PattyBNUChick on 07-31-2007 08:49 PM
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
From Rowling's website: Wizard of the Month for August
Rowena Ravenclaw
Medieval (precise dates unknown).
One of the four famous Founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Rowena Ravenclaw was the most brilliant witch of her time, though legend has it that a broken heart - cause unknown - contributed to her early demise.

Its Aug 1 in England so I guess she's it. She's wearing the tiara, like that was any surprise. : )

Message Edited by PattyBNUChick on 07-31-2007 08:55 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Rowena Ravenclaw
One of the four famous Founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Rowena Ravenclaw was the most brilliant witch of her time, though legend has it that a broken heart - cause unknown - contributed to her early demise.

Its Aug 1 in England so I guess she's it. She's wearing the tiara, like that was any surprise. : )

We predicted that she would wait until August 1 to show us Rowena with her Horcrux object, didn't we?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Yes thats right! 10 points for Psychee, Patty and others : ) I wonder if there'll be one next month and WHO will it be? Dumbledore? Snape? Someone else?

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Rowena Ravenclaw

We predicted that she would wait until August 1 to show us Rowena with her Horcrux object, didn't we?

Message Edited by PattyBNUChick on 07-31-2007 09:19 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Yes thats right! 10 points for Psychee, Patty and others : ) I wonder if there'll be one next month and WHO will it be? Dumbledore? Snape? Someone else?

Ignotus Peverell, I think. Or maybe Grindelwald. Dumbledore already has one.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I was thinking of the Perevell's too and I had a vague recollection about Dumbledore. She's got to stick Snape in there somewhere : ) Maybe September! : )

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Ignotus Peverell, I think. Or maybe Grindelwald. Dumbledore already has one.

Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ABI wrote:

From J.K.'s Bloomsbury Fan Interview:

Georgina: Did lucius malfoy, and all the other escaped death eaters, go back to azkaban

J.K. Rowling: No, the Malfoys weaseled their way out of trouble (again) due to the fact that they colluded (albeit out of self-interest) with Harry at the end of the battle.

Message Edited by HarryIsMyHomeboy on 07-31-2007 09:38 PM
gniff
0 Kudos

Whatever did happen to Number 4 Privet Drive? Was it sold anonymously, with the money paid to the Dursleys? What about Dudley's friends? And what happened to his Smeltings education? Did he have a year left? What did Dudley do with his life, anyway? Or did the Dursleys return to #4 after the Voldemort's death? If not, how did they explain the move to Aunt Marge?

Are the Dursleys and Harry completely and finally done with each other? Was Petunia ever told that That Awful Boy became a hero (in spite of his hair)?

How did they explain their move to Aunt Marge? (I'm trying to imagine a meeting between her and Minerva--or Horace.)

When they removed that depraved abomination of a statue from the Ministry, what did they replace it with? It seems a vile travesty of the Lincoln Memorial. Lincoln freed the slaves; the VoldeMinister would have made muggles less even than chattel slaves.

What did they tell to the Muggle Prime Minister?

Was Percy's resignation from the Ministry final, or did he go back in some more humble capacity?

What did Dumbledore mean by his offer to hide Draco Malfoy, and the comment that Voldemort cannot find someone who is already dead?

How did the repairs go at Hogwarts? Was the Come and Go Room damaged by the FiendFyre in its attic? Was the attic ever usable again? How many owls were killed?

Did Trelawney continue to teach Divination? When she finally left or retired, was the subject continued?

Did any of Hagrid's Acromantulas survive? Does Grawp still live in the cave up in the hills? Did he and the Centaurs ever come to terms with each other?

And how did Albus rescue Dolores Umbridge? Was it by force or by reason? Was she malingering after her rescue, or was she damaged? St. Mungo's? Dr. Ubbly's Oblivious Ointment?

Who gave the order to send the Devil's Snare to St. Mungo's, and how was it arranged?

Did Mr. Ollivander go back into business?

And why did Voldemort chose the day of Harry's Diagon Alley trip to try to steal the Stone? And how did Albus know?
0 Kudos

If Dumbledore could see through Harry's cloak by using "Hominum Revelio" (sp?), and if that spell is common enough that Hermione knew it, why didn't Snape use it at those times in other books when he sensed that Harry was near him under his cloak, such as when Harry was caught on the vanishing step after dropping his egg in Goblet of Fire?

The ony thing I can think of is that only the master of the Elder Wand, using the Elder Wand, could cast that spell strong enough to see within the cloak...

What do others think?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I found that puzzling, too. And when HRH apparated in Hogsmeade the DE's searching for them could've invoked the spell there. Your idea may well be the answer but I don't remember anyone ever trying it. Strange...!

Psychee wrote:
If Dumbledore could see through Harry's cloak by using "Hominum Revelio" (sp?), and if that spell is common enough that Hermione knew it, why didn't Snape use it at those times in other books when he sensed that Harry was near him under his cloak, such as when Harry was caught on the vanishing step after dropping his egg in Goblet of Fire?

The ony thing I can think of is that only the master of the Elder Wand, using the Elder Wand, could cast that spell strong enough to see within the cloak...

What do others think?

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Another question:

Why wasn't Voldemort acting hesitant about AKing Harry at the end when just an hour or so before he himself had been knocked unconscious by doing that same thing?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

He remained arrogant to the end, I guess.

Psychee wrote:
Another question:

Why wasn't Voldemort acting hesitant about AKing Harry at the end when just an hour or so before he himself had been knocked unconscious by doing that same thing?

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Maybe Snape did use the spell sometimes, but nonverbally so Harry wasnt aware of it?

Psychee wrote:

What do others think?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Maybe Snape did use the spell sometimes, but nonverbally so Harry wasnt aware of it?

Psychee wrote:

What do others think?

But if that was the case, then Snape would have caught him and he never did...
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I was kind of expecting Slughorn to have more of a role in DH; I wonder how he was holding out wiht the DE's in charge, and if he ever displayed any real bravery.

It also seemed like something sinister was going on with the green plants he ordered from Sprout, and moreso with his sudden interest in Acromantula venom... I guess that turned out to be a red herring...

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 08-02-2007 02:09 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
I was kind of expecting Slughorn to have more of a role in DH; I wonder how he was holding out wiht the DE's in charge, and if he ever displayed any real bravery.

It also seemed like something sinister was going on with the green plants he ordered from Sprout, and moreso with his sudden interest in Acromantula venom... I guess that turned out to be a red herring...

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 08-02-2007 02:09 AM

We don't know how he behaved with the DE's in charge, but when we first saw him in DH, he appeared like he wanted to take the safest route. Then McGonagall told him he could leave with the Slytherins but if anyone fought against the good guys he needed to know that they were dueling to kill. He left with the Slytherins for the first round but then returned up front with all the parents and townspeople for the second go-round and at the end he was dueling with Voldemort himself.

So, I guess it took him some time to get up his nerve, but at the end, he was the only dueling Slytherin. In pajamas, no less!
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

True

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

What do others think?

Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
True

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

What do others think?

I agree with the Elder Wand theory. Perhaps because the elder wand and the cloak are connected? The magic of one can be sensed by another.

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds