Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

Well, everyone else has pretty much covered the questions I thought hadn't been answered in Book 7, but today one popped into my head which I'm pretty sure no one here has mentioned yet: What ever happened to Ludo Bagman? He was once suspected of working for Voldemort (I forgot doing what, though), but DID he actually ever work for him? I know that in Book 4 he is cleared of all charges at his court session, but that is only because he was well-liked by most of the people in charge of his sentence. He was a big Quidditch star, and most people couldn't actually imagine him doing the cruel things he was tried for doing. I'd just really like to know whether he actually was innocent or not, but he seemed to mysteriously disappear after Book 4...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

acciobrain wrote:
Well, everyone else has pretty much covered the questions I thought hadn't been answered in Book 7, but today one popped into my head which I'm pretty sure no one here has mentioned yet: What ever happened to Ludo Bagman? He was once suspected of working for Voldemort (I forgot doing what, though), but DID he actually ever work for him? I know that in Book 4 he is cleared of all charges at his court session, but that is only because he was well-liked by most of the people in charge of his sentence. He was a big Quidditch star, and most people couldn't actually imagine him doing the cruel things he was tried for doing. I'd just really like to know whether he actually was innocent or not, but he seemed to mysteriously disappear after Book 4...

I believe the text left us to believe that he was just an idiot who unknowingly passed on information. When we last heard of him, though, he was on the run from the Goblins, so he might have re-located out of the country or else is just dead for attempting to cheat the Goblins.

But you are right, it would have been nice to have known for sure what happened to him.
Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

Hmm, I think you're right as to why Bagman was suspected in the first place, that he just inadvertently passed on information. I guess that's what I thought had happened, but I wasn't quite sure, I guess because I expected more closure on where Bagman's true loyalties lay.

Hopefully the encyclopedia that Jo said she'd probably write will give answers as to what happened to him after he went on the run from the Goblins!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yet another question... Remember that part they took out of HBP in subsequent editions? The bit on the Tower about making Draco seem dead? We were told that it was taken out because it gave too much away but there was nothing in the last book even remotely sounding like that... so why did they remove it?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

See this just gives me more hope that she planned on McGonagall revealing herself as a DE in book 7 and couldn't fit it in : ) Unless Jo specifically poopoos that in some interview or in the future Encyclopedia, I'll probably go to my grave believing that lol.

Psychee wrote:
Yet another question... Remember that part they took out of HBP in subsequent editions? The bit on the Tower about making Draco seem dead? We were told that it was taken out because it gave too much away but there was nothing in the last book even remotely sounding like that... so why did they remove it?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
See this just gives me more hope that she planned on McGonagall revealing herself as a DE in book 7 and couldn't fit it in : ) Unless Jo specifically poopoos that in some interview or in the future Encyclopedia, I'll probably go to my grave believing that lol.

Psychee wrote:

You see a connection between that part taken out and McGonagall?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

No, not at all. I just think she left a lot out of book 7 due to book thickness constraints and because she seems to have changed her mind on a number of things. So, based on those 2 things, I'm sticking to my 2 main off the wall theories that MM was a DE and Lupin was guilty of something, but she chose not to put the revelations of those in book 7 for one reason or another : ) I like it better that way then trying to make them innocent in my head lol.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

You see a connection between that part taken out and McGonagall?

Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

Has anyone thought about the Room of requirement? It had the horrible fire and I was thinking about if it had been destroyed or not. Did they ever get crabbes body out of the room or what was left of it?
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

I just thought of something..when snape was the Dada teacher and asked what the best way to get rid of a dementor was....did we ever find out his answer?>
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

snider_kr wrote:
I just thought of something..when snape was the Dada teacher and asked what the best way to get rid of a dementor was....did we ever find out his answer?>

Nope! We can add that one to the list!
Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

snider_kr wrote:

I was wondering about that too-then I thought that this passage from chapter 36 may be pertinent to that:

And now a chill settled over them where they stood, and Harry head the rasping breath of the dementors that patrolled the outer trees. They would not affect him now. The fact of his own survival burned inside him, a talisman against them, as though his father's stag kept guardian in his heart.

Then, working as my mind does, this section brought me to chapter 19 of POA, when Sirius discusses how he escaped from Azkaban:

'I don't know how I did it," he said slowly. "I think the only reason I never lost my mind is that I knew I was innocent. That's wasn't a happy thought, so the dementors couldn't suck it out...but it kept me sane and knowing who I am..."

Maybe that was Snape's thought on how to ward off a dementor: not to focus on a happy memory and conjure a Patronus, but instead focus on a present thought that was not happy but a reminder of your sense of self, a memory that the dementors could not take from you. Harry's survival wasn't a happy memory, it was a burning fact that guarded him, in a sense of speaking. Same with Sirius, who knew he was innocent. That wasn't a happy memory, it was a undeniable fact that kept Sirius from going crazy or succumbing to despair. Perhaps that was what Snape thought was the best way to battle a dementor?

Message Edited by HarryIsMyHomeboy on 08-03-2007 12:23 PM
snider_kr
0 Kudos

HarryIsMyHomeboy wrote:

snider_kr wrote:

I was wondering about that too-then I thought that this passage from chapter 36 may be pertinent to that:

And now a chill settled over them where they stood, and Harry head the rasping breath of the dementors that patrolled the outer trees. They would not affect him now. The fact of his own survival burned inside him, a talisman against them, as though his father's stag kept guardian in his heart.

Then, working as my mind does, this section brought me to chapter 19 of POA, when Sirius discusses how he escaped from Azkaban:

'I don't know how I did it," he said slowly. "I think the only reason I never lost my mind is that I knew I was innocent. That's wasn't a happy thought, so the dementors couldn't suck it out...but it kept me sand and knowing who I am..."

Maybe that was Snape's thought on how to ward off a dementor: not to focus on a happy memory and conjure a Patronus, but instead focus on a present thought that was not happy but a reminder of your sense of self, a memory that the dementors could not take from you. Harry's survival wasn't a happy memory, it was a burning fact that guarded him, in a sense of speaking. Same with Sirius, who knew he was innocent. That wasn't a happy memory, it was a undeniable fact that kept Sirius from going crazy or succumbing to despair. Perhaps that was what Snape thought was the best way to battle a dementor?

that very well could be. thanks for opinion, it helps settle some of the curiosity that I have...now If only someone could help me with my previous question about the room of requirement.
Contributor
books1708
0 Kudos

Ok im kind of confused. I recall voldemort burning the sorting hat and yet if he did that and the sorting hat is well..dead, then how the kids 19 years later being sorted into there houses? This is really bugging me!
"His scar had not hurt in nineteen years. All was well." =)
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

books1708 wrote:
Ok im kind of confused. I recall voldemort burning the sorting hat and yet if he did that and the sorting hat is well..dead, then how the kids 19 years later being sorted into there houses? This is really bugging me!

None of the spells that Voldemort tried to hurt people with worked after Harry offered up his life to protect them, including the fire spell that he tried to torch Neville with.

The Sorting Hat looked like it was burning, but that, too, did not last, presumably as a result of self-protection spells on the Hat itself -- the thing is over 1000 years old and should have disintegrated long before this even without being torched, so I think it is safe to presume that nothing can really hurt it.

Does that help?

Message Edited by Psychee on 08-03-2007 11:49 PM
Contributor
books1708
0 Kudos

books1708 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the spells that Voldemort tried to hurt people with worked after Harry offered up his life to protect them, including the fire spell that he tried to torch Neville with.

The Sorting Hat looked like it was burning, but that, too, did not last, presumably as a result of self-protection spells on the Hat itself -- the thing is over 1000 years old and should have diintegrated long before this even without being torched, so I think it is safe to presume that nothing can really hurt it.

Does that help?

ahh ok thanks that helps alot =)
"His scar had not hurt in nineteen years. All was well." =)
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I have a question, I don't know if someone alread asked, but what is it or where is it in the book that we see or learn what we see in the cover of the US cover? In the cover we see Harry and Voldy not far behind, what is this? And where in the book do we see it?
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

dayrenm wrote:
I have a question, I don't know if someone alread asked, but what is it or where is it in the book that we see or learn what we see in the cover of the US cover? In the cover we see Harry and Voldy not far behind, what is this? And where in the book do we see it?

That is the last duel between Harry and Voldemort in the Great Hall right at that point where the Elder Wand has left Voldemort's hand and Harry is catching it; Voldemort is about to get hit with his own backfiring AK. The color comes from the fact that an orange sun is just rising and reflected in the ceiling. The arches are windows. The shapes in the background are the people around watching outside the protected space.

The curtains are not in the scene at all. The artist had put curtains in the first book cover and decided to put them in the last as well for symmetry. These go with the words that are on the inside cover -- "We now present... " -- as if this action were on a stage.

Harry should have Draco's wand in his other hand but he does not have it in the picture.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I'm still confused about what Hermione seems to be holding onto on the Dragon.

dayrenm wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm still confused about what Hermione seems to be holding onto on the Dragon.

I don't think she's holding onto anything. I think you are just seeing the scales of the dragon in shadow there...
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

dayrenm wrote:

That is the last duel between Harry and Voldemort in the Great Hall right at that point where the Elder Wand has left Voldemort's hand and Harry is catching it; Voldemort is about to get hit with his own backfiring AK. The color comes from the fact that an orange sun is just rising and reflected in the ceiling. The arches are windows. The shapes in the background are the people around watching outside the protected space.

The curtains are not in the scene at all. The artist had put curtains in the first book cover and decided to put them in the last as well for symmetry. These go with the words that are on the inside cover -- "We now present... " -- as if this action were on a stage.

Harry should have Draco's wand in his other hand but he does not have it in the picture.

Thanks Phychee.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!