Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

I was wondering if all the references to 'pink' in the books was a clue that Umbridge had a horcrux?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I'm kind of grossed out about what Dumbledore said about Bellatrix, something about 'she likes to play with her victims before she eats them' or something like that? I think that was Dumbledore, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Anyway, Bellatrix, what a wacko!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm kind of grossed out about what Dumbledore said about Bellatrix, something about 'she likes to play with her victims before she eats them' or something like that? I think that was Dumbledore, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Anyway, Bellatrix, what a wacko!

Bellatrix "likes to play with her food before she eats it"... that was a metaphor for the sadistic pleasure she got out of humiliating her victims before she killed them....
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

lol, thanks Psychee, I thought she was a cannibal or something! Oh geez : )

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Bellatrix "likes to play with her food before she eats it"... that was a metaphor for the sadistic pleasure she got out of humiliating her victims before she killed them....

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I realize that it wouldn't have been a 7 book series and all that if it had happened in the first book, but why was Voldemort bothering to drink Unicorn blood and get the SS if he could have just regenerated himself? Quirrell seemed like he was trying to kill Harry on his broom in the Quiddich match, so did Voldemort not realize until after that 'year' of Harry's life that he could regenerate? If he was trying to wait until he got Harry's blood, why have Quirrell try to kill him and if he didn't know the spell to regenerate himself then he didn't do enough research on Horcruxes. Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, Patty, let's just say that ol' Voldy didn't turn out to be such a smartypants as he thought he was. Maybe he should have spent more time in the library like Hermione did. But then he never anticipated that an AK of his would backfire on him and turn him into Vapormort. I wonder if he did his own research or had his faithful DE's do it for him?

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I realize that it wouldn't have been a 7 book series and all that if it had happened in the first book, but why was Voldemort bothering to drink Unicorn blood and get the SS if he could have just regenerated himself? Quirrell seemed like he was trying to kill Harry on his broom in the Quiddich match, so did Voldemort not realize until after that 'year' of Harry's life that he could regenerate? If he was trying to wait until he got Harry's blood, why have Quirrell try to kill him and if he didn't know the spell to regenerate himself then he didn't do enough research on Horcruxes. Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Message Edited by dcsbelle on 08-07-2007 12:41 PM
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
New User
Laura2608
0 Kudos

The only question "unanswered" I can think of is.. Why is Snapes' hair so greasy? Poor dude, never heard of a bit of shampoo.
"The only problem with reality is that there is no background music"
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I thought of it as something my cats do when they catch a mouse..they like a bit of sport before their meal.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Thanks for reminding me why I keep my cats indoors!

Mollywobbles wrote:
I thought of it as something my cats do when they catch a mouse..they like a bit of sport before their meal.

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Debbie

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

My cats (all 6 of them) are for the most part indoor cats. We go out for supervised Walkies every day, however, in lots of 3. Regardless, the lure of prey is irresistible to them and then they pounce. Usually I can get the mouse away from them before it is too late, but that doesn't keep the instinct at bay.

dcsbelle wrote:
Thanks for reminding me why I keep my cats indoors!

Mollywobbles wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

LOL! I'm getting a mental picture of you walking three cats simultaneously! It's not exactly like walking dogs, is it? My cats someitmes go out on the patio on a leash and have never seen anything other than insects, birds, squirrels and once an escaped gerbil. I doubt they'd know what to do with one if they caught it, unlike Bellatrix (cleverly bringing us back on topic.)

Mollywobbles wrote:
My cats (all 6 of them) are for the most part indoor cats. We go out for supervised Walkies every day, however, in lots of 3. Regardless, the lure of prey is irresistible to them and then they pounce. Usually I can get the mouse away from them before it is too late, but that doesn't keep the instinct at bay
Debbie

Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
lol, thanks Psychee, I thought she was a cannibal or something! Oh geez : )

lol, that is the funniest thing I have read all day! :smileyvery-happy:

*allows mind to wander into a HP where Bella was a cannibal...

...sees Bella and Fenrir dating...

...vomits...pulls self out of wandering weirdness...*

:smileywink:
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

i have a lot!
1.) im guessing i have the correct answer
--but Arianna got raped, right?
im a bit surprised none of you has popped the question yet and seems to have minimal impact , me and my cousin watched it on the internet , JKR herself
revealed there's going to be a "date rape" on the fifth chapter on the final book, entitled " Blood on The cloak", --that was her on brittish muggle news on the net ! guys, anybody of you who watched this, back me up pls. but anyway, JKR obviously didnt do that on the book., again, arianna got raped , right?

2.) JKR didnt really revel on the reason, or at least gave us more information on why VOLDEMORT became the way he is. i mean , i have my ideas, that JKR ,meant to say that even though he and harry had similar family backgrounds, and childhood experiences, it was still the choices you made that mattered .. so VOLDEMORT chose to be bad... is that it?

3.) what happened to hagrid's hut?

4.) arent we getting any sirius closure and any more info about the "veil"?

more questions to follow. ...
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
i have a lot!
im a bit surprised none of you has popped the question yet and seems to have minimal impact , me and my cousin watched it on the internet , JKR herself
revealed there's going to be a "date rape" on the fifth chapter on the final book, entitled " Blood on The cloak", --that was her on brittish muggle news on the net ! guys, anybody of you who watched this, back me up pls. but anyway, JKR obviously didnt do that on the book., again, arianna got raped , right?

Hmm... I did not get the impression that she had been raped. Her brother just said that the boys "got carried away"... I also had the impression that these were young boys and she was a young girl. I have a difficult time putting together "carried away" with rape in this context... it certainly wasn't a date!

I don't know what JKR had in mind as far as that torture went, she was just so outnumbered that anything that they might have done to her (e.g. pulled her hair, burned her, twisted her arm, etc.) that she was scared out of her wits that they would come back and do it again if she ever used magic again...
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

No, I didn't watch that---and the idea of her actually getting raped didn't even cross my mind, I suppose I was thinking something along the lines of "It's HP...an (originally) children's series."
And I've been posting about Voldemort for a while now---I want to know HOW exactly TOM RIDDLE became the VOLDY we know. I mean, people are NOT just born serial killers...and his overwhelming fear of death needed something to fuel it. And I just DON'T think he "just chose to be bad." SOMETHING had to encourage that choice.
And I really wanted to know more about Sirius' presumed death. I was so convinced he was going to back! He was hit by a jinx! What is it about that veil!? Really! I was frankly disappointed she didn't explain better. To present such an interesting thing like that, and then to not delve any farther into teh matter?

________________________________________________________________________________

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
i have a lot!

2.) JKR didnt really revel on the reason, or at least gave us more information on why VOLDEMORT became the way he is. i mean , i have my ideas, that JKR ,meant to say that even though he and harry had similar family backgrounds, and childhood experiences, it was still the choices you made that mattered .. so VOLDEMORT chose to be bad... is that it?

3.) what happened to hagrid's hut?

4.) arent we getting any sirius closure and any more info about the "veil"?

more questions to follow. ...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
....And I've been posting about Voldemort for a while now---I want to know HOW exactly TOM RIDDLE became the VOLDY we know. I mean, people are NOT just born serial killers...and his overwhelming fear of death needed something to fuel it. And I just DON'T think he "just chose to be bad." SOMETHING had to encourage that choice.

And I really wanted to know more about Sirius' presumed death. I was so convinced he was going to back! He was hit by a jinx! What is it about that veil!? Really! I was frankly disappointed she didn't explain better. To present such an interesting thing like that, and then to not delve any farther into teh matter?

Voldy being bad question:

The text leads us to believe that hundreds of years of interbreeding with their cousins had left the Gaunts with chromosomal damage which could be passed on as evil unstable personalities. Tom Riddle was an unusual baby who never cried. He became a boy who was very narcissistic, believed himself extra special, had powers to make things happen just by thinking about them, was blessed with a high intellect, and never had need or desire for friendship with anyone. Yet, in spite of his "specialness" he was a poverty-stricken orphan, and he resented it. He became an orphan through the death of his mother, so death became his fear and his enemy. Add to that the "choices", and that pretty much sums up, in my mind at least, how he became Lord Voldemort...

Sirius Death Question:

I'm not sure what part here you didn't understand so forgive me if this answer seems lame... but "going beyond the veil" is a popular euphemism for death. That arch, with its veil, was supposed to be a portal to the "beyond", a portal to the Afterlife. Once Sirius went through it, he could not return -- he was dead.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Voldy:
Pyschee, I see what your saying, and i thought of that too, but i was thinking more of how his father was under a love potion when he was conceived. Because really, even if the Gaunts were interbred, and so somewhat messed up, his mother married a muggle of no relation to her once-so-ever, as is clear noting Tom Riddle's terrible brilliance he is obviously not alike to the rest of the Gaunt family (morfin in particular). But I still want to know more about his Hogwart's years...if anything really profound happened to him, t prove there was another cause for his wretchedness besides a wayward gene!

Sirius:
Yeah, I know, but NOTHING is so simple in HP! Jo takes lot's of old sayings and such and twists them into something more, I just figured, since she made it seem so...enthralling, she might have something really good up her sleeve!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
Voldy:
Pyschee, I see what your saying, and i thought of that too, but i was thinking more of how his father was under a love potion when he was conceived. Because really, even if the Gaunts were interbred, and so somewhat messed up, his mother married a muggle of no relation to her once-so-ever, as is clear noting Tom Riddle's terrible brilliance he is obviously not alike to the rest of the Gaunt family (morfin in particular). But I still want to know more about his Hogwart's years...if anything really profound happened to him, t prove there was another cause for his wretchedness besides a wayward gene!

Sirius:
Yeah, I know, but NOTHING is so simple in HP! Jo takes lot's of old sayings and such and twists them into something more, I just figured, since she made it seem so...enthralling, she might have something really good up her sleeve!

Voldy:

Sure, you could add in the loveless-union conception and the mother-who-didn't-love-enough-to-stay-alive-for-her-son into the mix... the mix of messed-up-genes to a Muggle doesn't take away the messed-up-genes, though... he still could have inherited that from his mom. The Muggle she married, though, could have added more to the arrogant profile as well -- that family was not known for its kindness. The father was pretty full of himself...

I wouldn't have imagined anything profound happening to him at Hogwarts -- he was already killing animals and terrorizing children before he got there. I think we are left to just consider him a "bad seed" -- there was a really scary movie about that concept in 1956 -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bad_Seed

The Veil:

She took the saying and DID twist it into something more -- she brought it to life in the form of an Arch with a veil over it, behind which one could hear whispers of dead people... Guess that wasn't enough for you, though... You wanted more? Perhaps to see someone come OUT of it?
Frequent Contributor
HarryIsMyHomeboy
0 Kudos

I think the fact that he was conceived from a loveless union had a lot to do with it, both symbolically and logically, as he grew up.

Tom Riddle came from a union where love was not involved; and then, just minutes after Riddle was born, his mother died. He come into the world without love, and he was raised without love. That may be why he had such a hard time understanding the concept of love at all - it was never something he was familiar with, never something he had or, I guess, thought he needed. He hardened himself because he knew he wouldn't have love from another, and I think that allowed him to convince himself that he never would need love; just power.

Everything would have been different for Tom if Merope had survived and raised him and loved him. I think he felt resentful over the fact that his own mother had not loved him enough to stay alive for him. He saw that as weakness...and that is where the need to conquer that came from.

ABI wrote:
Voldy:
Pyschee, I see what your saying, and i thought of that too, but i was thinking more of how his father was under a love potion when he was conceived. Because really, even if the Gaunts were interbred, and so somewhat messed up, his mother married a muggle of no relation to her once-so-ever, as is clear noting Tom Riddle's terrible brilliance he is obviously not alike to the rest of the Gaunt family (morfin in particular).