Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Questions left unanswered?

ConnieK wrote:
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this, Psychee. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with rumors on the Internet or young people learning to check sources. JKR (in published interviews) led people to believe that she would answer certain questions in the 7th novel that she did not. I heard her, in person, make such promises myself. She has instead gone around in interviews revealing some of that same promised information, some of which was also changed since she mentioned bits or pieces of it earlier. *snip*

Psychee wrote: Well, let's see... If they have only gotten this information through others and have not read it themselves directly from a transcript, then they are on slippery ground to begin with*snip*

If she had not given us such a million-dollar read to begin with, we wouldn't care enough about this to be complaining, would we? It seems like a situation in which "no good deed goes unpunished"...

I can live with the disagreement, Connie :smileyhappy:

I just did a few searches on Accio Quote to find out how many times she actually said that we would have to read the seventh book for answers, or she said "keep reading" as an answer... and then I looked at those instances and found that all those specific questions were actually answered. Now, it is very possible that my search didn't find everything she promised, but before one accuses her of being "irresponsible", I think they would need to find an exact reference of something she specifically promised which was not delivered. Most of the time, I think she just responded to questions by saying that she couldn't answer them and then people ASSUMED that she would answer those questions by the time the story finished.

So, in fairness, I think people need to be very specific about what she hasn't told us in the story and then specify exactly where she promised that she would give people that answer in her last book.

As far as I can tell, Harry got all his questions answered in the book. It is the readers' subsequent questions which weren't answered, and I don't see why she can't answer them in the same venue as they were asked in the first place...

And as for buying another book... I recall her telling people just to go to the library for her books; I've never read her saying anything like "buy the book".

The encyclopedia she is talking about might very well be something she chooses to do for charity; she has made comments along the lines of not wanting to milk Harry for every dollar she could make out of him when asked if she would consider doing a Dumbledore prequel... she has never struck me as the kind of person who is in the least bit greedy... and I think those who accuse her of it are only projecting their own impulses onto her -- they themselves would be greedy if given the chance, so they accuse HER of it...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Glassslipper wrote:

Psychee wrote:
Here's another question...

Dumbledore met Grindelwald when he was under 20 years of age, right? He was 150 in this story, which puts his birth at around 1840, and his meeting Grindelwald then would be about 1860.

He dueled Grindelwald in 1945. That is 85 years later!

We know that Grindelwald got the Elder wand as a young man, looking very much like the boy in the picture with Dumbledore, so we are led to believe that he got the wand shortly after his time with Dumbledore.

Are we supposed to believe that it took Grindelwald 80 years or so to become a menace to society with that wand in his possession?

Well - Grindelwald was a bad wizard for a long time - I remember reading that it took Dumbledore a very long time before he went out to fight Grindelwald. It read something to the effect that it was to a point where it was embarrassing for Dumbledore to NOT fight Grindelwald. Perhaps when you live 150 years - 80 years is half your adult life (about) and that's the 'normal' timeline for something like that.

The text said that Dumbledore waited 5 years... no matter how we figure this, we have 75 years or so left unaccounted for between the time that Grindewald got the Elder Wand and the time he started to be a public nuisance that Dumbledore was feeling obliged to take out...

JKR has said that she is awful at Math, though, and she probably didn't think through this age thing very well before she answered the question... I think she just wanted him to be "really old" and picked 150 out of the air without giving it closer scrutiny...

I think Dumbledore's age should probably be more like 80 or 90 at most...
Contributor
Ms_Necole
0 Kudos

Snakes and other animals (Ms. Norris) can sense them while under the invisability cloak by using their other highten senses. Snakes, for example, use smell and body heat senses as humans use sight. That's why she was able to clearly see that they were in the grave yard. Ms. Norris used her sense of smell to detect anyone under the cloak. Anyone using it could alway be detected by all senses other than sight...hence the "invisibility". That's how others are able to take it off, it's wearer can be heard, smelled, touched and tasted.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

I think this is a very good point, Psychee! I agree that it's *Harry's* questions, to a great degree, that are important to get answered within the confines of the novels. That factor is perhaps more important as well when evaluating the series in terms of questions the various books raise. The reader needs to decide whether s/he is satisfied within that world (i.e. between the covers of the books) and not confuse that with all the outside information, discussion, author suggestions, etc. that were swirling around at the time the books were still being written.

What will be interesting to find out is how future readers of the series respond to the ending--will they have the same questions since they were not influenced by all the interviews and publicity? That is, do the books themselves raise questions that the reader can reasonably expect to have answered which are not?

~ConnieK

Psychee wrote, in part:
As far as I can tell, Harry got all his questions answered in the book. It is the readers' subsequent questions which weren't answered, and I don't see why she can't answer them in the same venue as they were asked in the first place.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
crookshanks25
0 Kudos

munkyluv717 wrote:
I TOTALLY agree with you. Overall I thought the book was well written, BUT (this may not be a very popular opinion also), I was actually waiting for Harry to die. You know, the tragic hero sort of thing. And is it just me or was Fred's death VERY sudden. I know they were in the middle of a war, but no one seemed to mourn, which goes back to the "how is George coping" thing, you know?

And I dont know if anyone already mentioned this, but what on earth was that small creature/child thing when Harry was laying unconscious and he was talking to Dumbledore. At first I thought it was supposed to be innocence, but everytime JK referred back to it, its presence seem to get uglier and uglier. I thought maybe she was using a metaphor to what happened to T. Riddle or what was happening to Harry???

I thought the ending was so cliche-ish, but I guess because she was trying to teach a lesson to the young readers. Which by now are not young, I'm sorry, but I felt that as of book 4, these were NOT childrens books...

Hope I didn't offend anyone out there by saying that I would have preferred for Harry to die...but I think it would have been better...

The flayed child in King's Cross was LV. It was what was left of his soul. Harry did enter a limbo somewhere between life and death when LV hit him with the Avada Kedavra curse...but instead of killing Harry, it killed the 8th (unintentional) horcrux that LV created when he killed Lily, that was latched onto Harry's sould but not protected like his other intentional horcruxes were.
So Harry came as close to dying as one might, and then he made the choice to return and fight.
New User
ac_milan22
0 Kudos

Overall a wonderfully written book, full of unexpected twists and turns. However, of course , J.K left us with a lot to talk about, and thankfully so, otherwise we could only talk about the book and what it tells us. One thing I didnt see that I was looking forward to was what lied beyond the Veil in the Dept. of Mysteries. Also, it seemed like Sirius, and all talk surrounding him, was for some reason omitted altogether, possibly becaause J.K couldnt fit it in the already vast storyline?
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

The veil was exactly what she said it was, which I guess was a bit of a red herring. The veil was a psychical representation of the line between life and death, and all that was beyond the veil was death. Sirius is mentioned some.. but he is dead, so he wasn't coming back.

ac_milan22 wrote:
Overall a wonderfully written book, full of unexpected twists and turns. However, of course , J.K left us with a lot to talk about, and thankfully so, otherwise we could only talk about the book and what it tells us. One thing I didnt see that I was looking forward to was what lied beyond the Veil in the Dept. of Mysteries. Also, it seemed like Sirius, and all talk surrounding him, was for some reason omitted altogether, possibly becaause J.K couldnt fit it in the already vast storyline?

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
Socratea
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Elderwand wrote:
My #1 question (the bit I didn't get) was that the rightful master of the wand was Draco not Snape, as he obtained it off Dumbeldore ---how when did this happen? I thought he couldn't do it so Snape killed him instead...so I'm a bit confused about that one...

Also, wasn't it supposed to be either Ravenclaw OR Hufflepuff object as a horcrux...it ended up being a cup AND a diadem...

And why was it so important that Harry had his mother's eyes...?? Was this just so Snape would keep protecting him? Seems a bit lame when JK seemed to think it was critical that he had Lily's eyes...

So if anyone has answers to those things....

The rightful master of the Elder wand was not the person who killed the owner, but the person who DEFEATED the owner. Through his simple "Expelliarmus!", forcing the wand out of Dumbledore's hand, Draco became the new master of the Elder wand.

But then Harry defeated Draco and got Draco's wand... this then transferred the Master role to Harry...

Horcrux question... We always knew the Hufflepuff cup was a Horcrux. The unknown Horcrux was "something of Ravenclaw or Gryffindor", so the Ravenclaw diadem or tiara was that one...

One might also say that Voldy sort of got a Gryffindor Horcrux without knowing it, given that he lost a part of his soul to Harry as well...

The Eyes... only important as a reminder of Lily... both to Snape as a comfort in his last minutes of life, that she was with him as he died, and earlier, as a means of reminding Slughorn that he needed to do the right thing in memory of her...

I think it mattered, too, that Harry's eyes resembled Lily's exactly because of their natures. We hear so much about how Harry looks *extraordinarily* like James, and even acts like him sometimes, too, but not so much about how Harry resembles Lily, except for the eyes.

Eyes have been called "the window to the soul" and as Dumbledore says to Snape, "Harry's nature is much more closely aligned with Lily than with James's...you see what you want to see, Severus" (paraphrased). I think Ms. Rowling wanted us to think about that Harry/Lily connection, and just in case we didn't quite "get it" yet, she hits us over the head with it again: When Harry sacrifices himself for the cause, the greater good, and most importantly, his friends and loved ones, he mimicks his mother's sacrifice, almost to the letter.

I'm glad for this revelation. Like Harry, I'd heard the "Lily's eyes" comment one too many times and found it a bit..."wearing." :smileywink: But in the end, when we are shown the purpose and importance of Harry's eyes, it becomes a bit more bearable to hear. :smileywink:

Sorry if this has been answered already by the innumerable posts on this board. I'm playing catch-up and can't help commenting here and there when the mood strikes me. I don't mean to be redundant. :smileywink:

Also, I have a question of my own: If Harry's cloak is truly a Deathly Hallow, impenetrable to spells or Revealing Charms, how is it that Mad-Eye Moody (fake & real) was able to "see through" the cloak? We know that Dumbledore didn't "see" it, but used the "Homenum Revelio" spell nonverbally to detect another person's presence. So how did Mad-Eye manage it?
§ Slytherin, Noblest of the Hogwarts Four §

“oh no a Lethifold’s got me I’m suffocating.”
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Socratea wrote:
Also, I have a question of my own: If Harry's cloak is truly a Deathly Hallow, impenetrable to spells or Revealing Charms, how is it that Mad-Eye Moody (fake & real) was able to "see through" the cloak? We know that Dumbledore didn't "see" it, but used the "Homenum Revelio" spell nonverbally to detect another person's presence. So how did Mad-Eye manage it?

I think JKR would say that Moody's Eye was a special thing... it had some kind of X-Ray like ability that no human could have. It was able to see through the back of his head and through wood inside a closed desk to see that boggart.

I'd love to know what form the boggart took when he looked at him, though, considering the fact that the boggart couldn't see Moody looking at him... :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I'm still confused about Dumbledore's sentances in the cave after he drank the potion. What do they mean? I'm in the middle of my 3rd re-read and maybe I've forgotten something, but it still makes no sense to me. So if anyone can help me here, I'd appreciate it : )
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm still confused about Dumbledore's sentances in the cave after he drank the potion. What do they mean? I'm in the middle of my 3rd re-read and maybe I've forgotten something, but it still makes no sense to me. So if anyone can help me here, I'd appreciate it : )

His words are a combination of two things -- him, in the present, saying that he didn't want to drink any more potion, and him in the past, telling Grindelwald not to hurt his brother and sister but to kill him instead. He keeps going back and forth between the two states of mind...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

But it still doesnt make sense to me. He says "its all my fault, all my fault, make it stop. I know I did wrong, oh, please make it stop". Make WHAT stop? It still doesn't make sense in that context to me.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

His words are a combination of two things -- him, in the present, saying that he didn't want to drink any more potion, and him in the past, telling Grindelwald not to hurt his brother and sister but to kill him instead. He keeps going back and forth between the two states of mind...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
But it still doesnt make sense to me. He says "its all my fault, all my fault, make it stop. I know I did wrong, oh, please make it stop". Make WHAT stop? It still doesn't make sense in that context to me.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

It's his fault that his brother got into a duel with Grindelwald. His brother was telling him that he couldn't go on this quest to take over the world with a sick sister in toe; Grindelwald didn't want to hear that, and started Cruciating Aberforth. Albus was telling him to stop, that Aberforth was right, that he (Albus) should have realized the truth before that, it was HIS fault that Aberforth had to resort to taking out his wand, because if he had not been so full of himself, Aberforth would never have had to get into this confrontation...

So he was, in effect, saying to Grindelwald -- Stop hurting my brother, he's right, I can't go with you, and if you are still mad about that, take it out on me instead... kill ME if necessary, but leave my siblings alone...
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I have noticed that when someone says..I wanted to find out about..?
certain posters get quite irked, saying it wasn't necessary to the plot etc. Allow me to preface these questions by saying, I am not upset that the author didn't address my questions; that the author did not promise to answer these questions, and then did not. I simply would like to know what other contributors think about these:

Madam Rosmerta: She is mentioned, or has a role to a greater or lesser extent in books 3-6. The last I recall is Harry teling Minerva that Rosmerta has been imperiused. What happened to her? Who Imperiused her in Book 6? I don't recall her being at Dumbledore's funeral.

Mundungus: What did Dung do that was so bad he got tossed out of a dodgey pub like the Hogshead?

Aberforth: Why is he a bartender, or landlord? I know he was not academicaly inclined like his older brother, but a barkeep? Sure he had that goat thing hanging over his head,but a barkeep? On the subject of Aberforth, we know he and Albus had a falling out after the death of Ariana. But Aberforth was in the original order of the Phoenix. They must have had some kind of a reconciliation. So, was Aberforth a barkeep by preference, or did Albus plant him there as part of a back up plan?

Minerva the magnificent!. It seems that most of the teachers, in the battle of Hogwarts, played to their strengths. Why did Minerva do a charm on the desks, (Charms were Flitwicks strength), rather than transfigure the desks? She could have transfigured the desks into Blast ended Skrewts, dragons, etc. Why a simple charm?

Hermione and Ron went back to the Chamber of Secrets to collect Basilisk fangs, but they never needed them-what was the point of that, other than to show that Ron could remember the Parseltongue commands to open the chamber?

Inquiring minds want to know.

rkubie wrote:
So, do we still have any mysteries to unravel? On any points--minor or major--did JKR leave us hanging?

Rachel

New User
NobleGryffindor
0 Kudos

I Have a answer to one of your questions out of them all lol Victorine is Bill Weasleys & Fleur Delacours Daughter.
Thats why they said he would fully be apart of the family.

I seen J.K Inform us about this in a interview.

Teddy Lupin is not going to hogwarts because he is 19 he was just bidding Victorine Goodbye. While he was snogging her lol.

J.K Said in a interview the whole reason she left an epilouge is because of "Teddy Lupin" She felt humungously horrible for killing off both of his parents and wanted to inform everybody that he is okay in the epilouge and that he has a girlfriend and life is moved on.

I Thought in this book teddy lupin was my favorite only because tonks and lupin getting together in my opinion was the best! Teddy Lupin was so cute when they described him as a baby with his shiftshaping hair colors.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I realize they got the sword back in the end, but didn't Ron and Hermione destroy the cup with one of the fangs? Perhaps since Neville had the sword, they wouldn't have been able to destroy the cup before Voldemort did himself in so maybe it was needed. But I agree, it was like 'Big deal, they have the fangs, we have a sword now', I found that odd too.

Mollywobbles wrote:
I have noticed that when someone says..I wanted to find out about..?
certain posters get quite irked, saying it wasn't necessary to the plot etc. Allow me to preface these questions by saying, I am not upset that the author didn't address my questions; that the author did not promise to answer these questions, and then did not. I simply would like to know what other contributors think about these:

Madam Rosmerta: She is mentioned, or has a role to a greater or lesser extent in books 3-6. The last I recall is Harry teling Minerva that Rosmerta has been imperiused. What happened to her? Who Imperiused her in Book 6? I don't recall her being at Dumbledore's funeral.

Mundungus: What did Dung do that was so bad he got tossed out of a dodgey pub like the Hogshead?

Aberforth: Why is he a bartender, or landlord? I know he was not academicaly inclined like his older brother, but a barkeep? Sure he had that goat thing hanging over his head,but a barkeep? On the subject of Aberforth, we know he and Albus had a falling out after the death of Ariana. But Aberforth was in the original order of the Phoenix. They must have had some kind of a reconciliation. So, was Aberforth a barkeep by preference, or did Albus plant him there as part of a back up plan?

Minerva the magnificent!. It seems that most of the teachers, in the battle of Hogwarts, played to their strengths. Why did Minerva do a charm on the desks, (Charms were Flitwicks strength), rather than transfigure the desks? She could have transfigured the desks into Blast ended Skrewts, dragons, etc. Why a simple charm?

Hermione and Ron went back to the Chamber of Secrets to collect Basilisk fangs, but they never needed them-what was the point of that, other than to show that Ron could remember the Parseltongue commands to open the chamber?

Inquiring minds want to know.

rkubie wrote:
So, do we still have any mysteries to unravel? On any points--minor or major--did JKR leave us hanging?

Rachel

Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

just wondering what happen to Lavender Brown did she die or not?
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I think someone (can't remember if it was Harry or Ron or ?) saved her from almost being attacked by Greyback.

blinkgirl89 wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I think someone (can't remember if it was Harry or Ron or ?) saved her from almost being attacked by Greyback.

blinkgirl89 wrote:

Hermione got Grayback off of Lavender -- Lavender was still stirring, so she wasn't dead -- then Trelawney bonked Grayback over the head with a crystal orb.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

that still doesn't tell us whether or not she died...just "stirring" doesn't sound very promising.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."