Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Super_Reader
0 Kudos

RUMORS THAT HAVE BEEN ANSWERED BY JK HERSELF

Debunked Rumors

Before each Harry Potter book comes out, there are always people who will try to turn theories they've concocted into fact, or even those who will simply create rumors for the fun of it. Currently, there are a few rumors about Book 7 and below you can find the ones which JKR has debunked.

Character Information
Dumbledore is really dead. He is not in hiding and is not coming back.
There will be no character named "Icicle," and JKR said she didn't recall saying there ever would be.
Dumbledore is not related to Harry.
Harry is not related to Voldemort, and he is not related to Salazar Slytherin.
Lily Potter is not alive.
Lily was not a Death Eater
Crookshanks is not an Animagus.
Neville is not Peter Pettigrew's son.
Remus Lupin does not have a twin brother.
Petunia is not a Squib.
Dumbledore is not Harry/Ron from the future.
Mrs. Norris/Crookshanks is not an Animagus.
Plot Information
Harry will not become Minister of Magic.
Peter Pettigrew’s silver hand will not kill Lupin.
Lupin will not return as a DADA professor.
The prophecy refers to Harry, and not in any way to Neville.
The final part of the prophecy does not mean Harry has to kill Neville, or vice versa
Other
The title of the book will not be "Harry Potter and the Pyramids of Furmat."
No prequel books (books that take place before Harry's time at Hogwarts) are planned.
"Keeper of the Keys" has no secret meaning.
The Sorting Hat is not a horcrux.

some of these i am sad to read
New User
seraphim
0 Kudos

Re: RUMORS THAT HAVE BEEN ANSWERED BY JK HERSELF

Agreed. I would be extremely disappointed in Rowling if any of those rumors were true. Some of them are just stupid. (sorry, it's true)
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

You may think they're stupid, but people seriously considered most of them before JKR debunked them. : )

seraphim wrote:
Agreed. I would be extremely disappointed in Rowling if any of those rumors were true. Some of them are just stupid. (sorry, it's true)

Contributor
Kristaren
0 Kudos

So my prediction that Peter’s silver hand will become self aware, detach itself from Peter’s arms, name itself Icicle, and commence in strangling Lupin in witness of, Peter’s estranged son Neville, Lilly the Death Eater, her squib sister Petuna, and his horrified twin Ramus atop the historical Pyramid of Furmat won’t happen???

Bummer…

Back to the drawing board!! ;o)
Frequent Contributor
Super_Reader
0 Kudos

i love how you pretty much used every debunked rumour in the book!!!

Kristaren wrote:
So my prediction that Peter’s silver hand will become self aware, detach itself from Peter’s arms, name itself Icicle, and commence in strangling Lupin in witness of, Peter’s estranged son Neville, Lilly the Death Eater, her squib sister Petuna, and his horrified twin Ramus atop the historical Pyramid of Furmat won’t happen???

Bummer…

Back to the drawing board!! ;o)

Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Notice how it says "Lily Potter is not alive", but nothing about James?

Is that a hint, something she forgot, or just my wishful thinking?

:]

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Contributor
Kristaren
0 Kudos

Thanks Super! And that is an interesting thought Madelia - it is true that whenever Harry recalls the event he only recalls his mothers death - we only assume Voldy was able to kill James before going for Lilly/Harry. Although I don't know why James would have stayed away for all this time.......
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Sending back to the top...
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Kristaren wrote:
Thanks Super! And that is an interesting thought Madelia - it is true that whenever Harry recalls the event he only recalls his mothers death - we only assume Voldy was able to kill James before going for Lilly/Harry. Although I don't know why James would have stayed away for all this time.......

Maybe there's a reason. Of course, there's one for everything in JK's world. :3
But this brings me back to the order that the torso's of the Potter's ghosts came out of Voldemort's wand in GoF... wasn't it messed up? It was in reverse order, but James' torso came out first...meaning he would have been killed after Lily? Maybe it was just a mistake on JK's part, but I remember there being a huge stir about it for awhile.

Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
i wanted to double check that i was sure of this, but james is also dead....
JKR has confirmed....

its in at least this one interview on the leaky caldron
It would be nice though if some important and strong to Harry would come to his aid....

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#static:tlcinterviews/jkrhbp1

oh! and of course James came out of Voldemorts wand in GOF.

so, its wishful thinking.. but i think we all want to come up with ways so Harry is protected.

Message Edited by princesspotter on 06-18-2007 03:28 PM
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I saw that website with the rumors...I never heard the one about Icicle??? WHere did that come from? Any way, I pretty much knew all of those were wrong, though she never said anything about Sirius... also, the reprieve could be of a character who died in a previous boook? I don't know, it's just an idea.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

princesspotter wrote:
i wanted to double check that i was sure of this, but james is also dead....
JKR has confirmed....

its in at least this one interview on the leaky caldron
It would be nice though if some important and strong to Harry would come to his aid....

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#static:tlcinterviews/jkrhbp1

oh! and of course James came out of Voldemorts wand in GOF.

so, its wishful thinking.. but i think we all want to come up with ways so Harry is protected.

Message Edited by princesspotter on 06-18-2007 03:28 PM

Yeah, I just meant the order in which he and Lily came out of his wand was reversed.

And I don't really care about Harry a whole lot... I just wanna see James. :]

Contributor
ryroryroryro9000
0 Kudos

who would ever think that the title was different from Harry Potter and the Dethley Hollows
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ryroryroryro9000 wrote:
who would ever think that the title was different from Harry Potter and the Dethley Hollows

That rumor was started long before JKR announced the title of the book.
Contributor
ryroryroryro9000
0 Kudos

oh,so thats why
Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

you dont care about Harry??? I LOVE HARRY!!.......
Contributor
ryroryroryro9000
0 Kudos

i'm stuck here. does any1 have anything to say on this topic?
Contributor
ryroryroryro9000
0 Kudos

wait.who said they don't like harry?!
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Didn't JKR say also that there would be a non-magical person that does magic? Because I remember alot of people were saying it was Petunia. Could it be Dudley?
Frequent Contributor
Phantom531
0 Kudos

hey, I put this on the snape board, but since this is the rumor board, I figured I'd bring it up here to:

Rowling said that Luna Lovegood wasn't Snape's illegitimate daughter, as someone said. She said Snape doesn't have a daughter. Any thoughts on the theory Snape might have a son out there (possibly not even involved in the story as yet, but might come up later?) Just checking.
I support the death penalty for animal cruelty and poaching.