Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Rowling Spotter

Apparently she's been spotted working on a new crime detective novel. Following is the story link. I like that she is doing something different and I will read it. What do you guys think?

But they don't say how exactly they know what it is she is writing. Just that this author's wife spotted her writing it. So I suppose we shall see.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20347246/
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

I hope Rowling told her it was a crime novel and that the woman didn't nose around. I hope Rowling can have a fairly private life and write in peace without people trying to spy on her left and right. I'll read anything she puts out for the rest of my life : )



Kreacherteacher wrote:
Apparently she's been spotted working on a new crime detective novel. Following is the story link. I like that she is doing something different and I will read it. What do you guys think?

But they don't say how exactly they know what it is she is writing. Just that this author's wife spotted her writing it. So I suppose we shall see.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20347246/


Frequent Contributor
amm1
Posts: 702
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter


PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'll read anything she puts out for the rest of my life : )


I hope she publishes all her future books under her real name so I can be sure and NOT buy another book written by her. :smileyhappy:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

This was just reported today in _The Guardian_ to be a joke Rankin told at a literary festival. Also, if you read the original article, it says Rankin's wife was "speculating" that JKR was writing a detective/mystery novel when she (supposedly) spotted her in a cafe.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2152722,00.html

~ConnieK



Kreacherteacher wrote:
Apparently she's been spotted working on a new crime detective novel. Following is the story link. I like that she is doing something different and I will read it. What do you guys think?

But they don't say how exactly they know what it is she is writing. Just that this author's wife spotted her writing it. So I suppose we shall see.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20347246/


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

Aww, i was hoping for: "The adventures of Regulus Black: from Death Eater to Horcrux Hunter"
But howexactly can she havr been "spotted working on a novel?"
But yeah, I'll read WHATEVER she writes next
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
stacielynn
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎07-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

Yeah, from what I read it is total speculation. We will see now won't we.... I can't wait!!
StacieLynn

Why does it have to end?

JKR Please write another book series.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

It wasn't true apparently.



ABI wrote:
Aww, i was hoping for: "The adventures of Regulus Black: from Death Eater to Horcrux Hunter"
But howexactly can she havr been "spotted working on a novel?"
But yeah, I'll read WHATEVER she writes next


Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

I think she'd do well to do a detective/mystery, though, don't you? Many of her plotting skills from HP would translate very well to that genre, I think. People could easily accept a novel like that from her--and she could even write a new series out of it.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

oh yeah, definitely.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Contributor
Frogee
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎08-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

I read the article on someone's wife seeing JK writing in a cafe. It is thought to be a crime book.

I suspect that JK won't be writing any new books under her own name. She'll likely use a nondaplume. I recall her saying that as her next project she wouldn't write another children's book.

It seems highly unlikely that JK would be sitting in a cafe somewhere writing. She is after all a multi millionaire and risks kidnap as any other multi millionaire might. If she did indeed sit in a cafe, I expect she would be there under security eyesight and wearing a disguise. Lest she never get any work done.

I think this report is to throw people off the track. She may not even identify herself to a potential publisher. That way she would be truly judged on her writing talent without compromising her identity or reputation. An excellent idea.

The only give away may be her writing style. It would be interesting to see if she could disguise it well enough. Speculation will be rife.
Only Puddles Not People Should be Shallow
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Rowling Spotter

[ Edited ]
Frogee--As is mentioned above in this thread, the author who said his wife saw JKR writing a crime/detective novel in a cafe cleared up the matter in the press saying it was a joke taken out of context and then flown around the Internet.

That said, can you imagine a writer writing under these circumstances--where the world, it seems, is waiting to hear what you're coming up with next? Well, I don't think any of us needs to worry about her privacy. She has enough resources to hide from her own notoriety as much and whenever she likes.

~ConnieK



Frogee wrote:
I read the article on someone's wife seeing JK writing in a cafe. It is thought to be a crime book.

I suspect that JK won't be writing any new books under her own name. She'll likely use a nondaplume. I recall her saying that as her next project she wouldn't write another children's book.

It seems highly unlikely that JK would be sitting in a cafe somewhere writing. She is after all a multi millionaire and risks kidnap as any other multi millionaire might. If she did indeed sit in a cafe, I expect she would be there under security eyesight and wearing a disguise. Lest she never get any work done.

I think this report is to throw people off the track. She may not even identify herself to a potential publisher. That way she would be truly judged on her writing talent without compromising her identity or reputation. An excellent idea.

The only give away may be her writing style. It would be interesting to see if she could disguise it well enough. Speculation will be rife.



Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-31-2007 09:13 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]