Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bertie-botts
0 Kudos

Re: **SPOILERS** -- Favorite Moment(s)

Neville, pulling Godric Gryffindor's sword out of the Sorting Hat, and killing Nagini. Poignant and dramatically underscores how close Neville came to being in Harry's shoes, but mostly just a huge vindication for little ol' Neville!
Contributor
GinnyWeaslby
0 Kudos

percy scene

I was an idiot ectect
~Nittwit Oddment BlubberTweak~
~GInny W ~
Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

I think the importance of Harry digging Dobby's grave without the use of magic is deep... Dobby has "served" others all his life, so now, in death, Harry is serving HIM. I think that was the most touching part of the entire scene, that Harry was "lowering" himself to Dobby's level (so to speak! If Hermoine were real & here I'm sure I would get smacked) in order to give him a proper burial, instead of just with an effortless wave of his hand.

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
Contributor
Reus
0 Kudos

My favorite moment was Percy's return, though I bawled through the scene where Dobby is buried. When Luna closes his eyes and says, "There, now he could be sleeping," I was done in. And Ron's giving him shoes and socks and Dean the wool hat. Too much.

I also loved, though, the scene where Bill is telling Harry and Ron about how blood-thirsty the Goblins are. This was great because of all the many times the Goblin rebellions, Goblin wars, etc., have been mentioned in the series. Ron made up the answers about Goblins on his final exam in book 4. There's just a constant mention of the Goblins that R/H ignore because, of course, Professor Binns was so darned boring. So funny - there's nothing better than the way she pulls these things together.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I went back and re-read the passage at the end of OoP when Dumbledore was telling Harry about the prophesy -- beginning with the "I couldn't tell you when you were 11... 12 was hardly better... should I have told you when you were 13?.... and so forth...

When you re-read that passage, knowing that Dumbledore knows that Harry is carrying a Horcrux and that at some point in the future this already overburdened and much beloved child is going to have to submit himself to being killed, Dumbledore's tears take on an extra-special poignancy... they were poignant as they were first presented, but with this added knowledge of what was going through his mind at the time, his grief is even more acutely felt...
Frequent Contributor
zman1980
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DSaff wrote:
There are many moments I enjoy in this book, but I think that my favorite is near the end of the battle. Watching everyone joining the fight, coming from everywhere was awesome, but then the house elves joined and that brought tears to my eyes. The description of their fighting was great. I liked seeing the battle joined by all.

The funniest moment for me was when Ron and Hermione kiss for the first time and Harry tries to get them back on track. But, Ron in his simplicity is right in saying that there is no time like the present. I loved that.

I have two moments where characters showed their true courage as never before - Molly going after Bellatrix and Neville killing the snake. Those were awesome to me!

Reading through the post got me thinking of what really was my fav. part of the book.
I finally stopped on 2 parts Neville killing the Snake because Neville has always been one of my favorites, but I still wondered clear up till this book why he was in Gryfindor and not Huffelpuff. This book really showed how strong of person Neville was and I loved that he was the one that stepped up and lead the resistance at the school in the absence of the big 3. Also Harry picking Neville alone to be the third person to know to kill Nagini. I mean it really would have made more sense to tell Mr. or Mrs.Weasley or any of the remaining order. But he picked Neville to help out with a major part of what needed to be done, he told him more then what he was willing to tell Lupin, Ron's parents, or any of the order.

Message Edited by zman1980 on 07-28-2007 01:22 AM
Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

I have many, many, many favorite moments in Book 7, but these are the ones which immediately come to mind:

*The part where Snape conjures the silver-doe Patronus, Dumbledore asks, "After all this time?", and Snape says, "Always".

*The part where, after saving Harry's life, Ron destroys the locket Horcrux; I like how it shows what Ron had been feeling for quite a long time.

*The part where Ron expresses a concern for the safety of the house-elves at Hogwarts, Hermione kisses him, and then Harry gets impatient and says something along the lines of, "There's a fight going on here!"; It was both hilarious and touching.

*The part in the epilogue where Harry tells his son that his middle name came from Snape, a Slytherin and "probably the bravest man [he] ever [knew]".

*The part where Snape says, "Look...at....me" to Harry in order to see Lily's eyes once again.

*The part where Dudley tells Harry that he doesn't think he's a waste of space and Harry says, "Well...er...thanks, Dudley".

*Harry's last battle with Voldemort at the end of the book, where Harry is telling Voldemort about all the things that he "just doesn't get".

*Harry's conversation with Dumbledore after the Horcrux inside him gets destroyed; It was just so great to see Dumbledore again!

*And, finally, the time when Mad-Eye Moody says that "there will be seven Harry Potters flying through the skies tonight"; That quote just struck me as funny.
New User
lunaginnysnapeneville21
0 Kudos

My favourite part, possibly my favourite out of all the books was:

Dumbledore: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

That to me is just classic, it puts the whole meaning of Harry Potter into perspective...

I also love:

Snape: "Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"
---------------------------------------------------
Dumbledore: "I am not scared Harry...I am with you..."
New User
lunaginnysnapeneville21
0 Kudos

You said it all, every bit is wonderful, better than I could ever have hoped for...
Dumbledore: "I am not scared Harry...I am with you..."
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

"We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
and Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!"
-Peeves (p.746)
I read this multiple times and laughed out loud every single time.
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I know I'm probably one of the last people on the planet to finish the book, but I decided to take it slowly because this was the last time there would ever be a first reading of a Harry Potter book, and I wanted to prolong the experience.
So many favorite moments in this book.
*The chapter when Harry and Hermione visit Lily and James' grave. JKR wrote it beautifully; it was so chilling, but gorgeous in terms of literary style.
*Fred and George: hilarious as usual, although I hate that Fred died. :smileysad:
*Dobby's death was sad, but I loved how JKR described his eyes after he died.
*Ron and Hermione's kissing scene: gorgeous! I was wondering when and how it would happen, and JKR totally did not disappoint me.
*Ron's destruction of the Horcrux. Some of the best character revelation EVER.
*Harry coming to the realization that he must die, and having all his loved ones around him for support.
*By far, my favorite moment of the book (of the whole series, actually) was the Snape Pensieve scene. I loved all the memories and reading about his incredible love for Lily. Snape is now probably my favorite character in the series, even though I remained undecided for the longest time as to whether he was good or evil.
*Also extremely happy that one of Harry's kids was named Albus Severus. The one with Lily's eyes. Made me cry.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Glad to see you here on "the other side," APen, from the "Reading _Deathly Hallows_" board! Favorite moments for many of the 'speed readers' are sinking in about now, or possibly cropping up more distinctly on a slower re-read, so you're not late to the discussion by any means!

~ConnieK

APenForYourThoughts wrote, in part:
I know I'm probably one of the last people on the planet to finish the book, but I decided to take it slowly because this was the last time there would ever be a first reading of a Harry Potter book, and I wanted to prolong the experience.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

My favorite moments are also many of the ones previously mentioned but also when Harry has "died" in the forest and LV sends Narcissa Malfoy to go see if he is dead. Wehn she discovers that Draco is still alive she lies to LV about Harry.
I love the irony that Harry has Draco's wand when he walks into battle.
My very favorite is probably the stuff about Mrs. Longbottom, how the DE tried to get her and failed, how she marches into battle and the best part when she states how proud she is of Neville, that part topped the cake, finally, Neville has been trying to live up to her expectations forever and he finally did, he finally made her proud.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I loved the entire 'Snape and Lily' relationship. And I was in hysterics when Mrs. Weasley yelled to Bellatrix: "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
Oh, i loved when Bella died Voldemort is almost sad for her and then discovers Harry's still living:

Bellatrix laughed, the same exhilarated laugh her cousin Sirius had given as he toppled backward through the veil, and suddenly Harry knew what would happen before it did.
Molly's curse soared between Bellatrix's outstretched arm and hit her squarely in the chest, directly over her heart.
Bellatrix's gloating smile froze, her eyes seemed to bulge: For the tiniest space of time she knew what had happened, and then she toppled, and the watching crowd roared, and Voldemort screamed.
Harry felt as though he turned in slow motion; he saw Professor McGonagall and Kingsley, and Slughorn, blasted backwards through the air, as Voldemort's fury at the fall of his last, best lieutenant exploded with the force of a bomb. Voldemort raised his wand and directed it at Molly Weasley.

"Protego!" Harry roared, and the Sheild Charm expanded in the middle of the Hall, and Voldemort stared around for the source as Harry pulled off the invisibility cloak at last.
The yells of shock, the cheers, the screams on every side of "Harry!" "HE'S ALIVE!" were stifled at once.

My absolute favorite though, would have to be:
Harry: "Your right, but before you try to kill me, i'd advise you to think about what you've done.... Think, and try for some remorse, Riddle..."
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

My favorite would have to be the scene with the dragon and about gringotts. They have always been mysterious. I wish the dragon tho, could of been norbert. I do think it was kind of easy to get down into the vaults. I mean if someone actually put the time and effort into the could of put the goblins under the spell as well.

I also liked the part at the end where snape wants to look into harrys eyes. At least he died with the thought of lily in his mind. snape was always mean towards harry but you have to feel for him at the end of the book. Just think if voldemort would of really thought about that scenario on the tower where dumbledore died he might of realized it was draco who really owned the wand. Then draco would of been killed, which snape would have to intervene anyways cause of the unbreakable vow.

NEways lol...now That I got that out of my system...i Also really like the fact that alberforth really got into the last battle.
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Reader 2
maddie33
0 Kudos

Oh I love the Weasleys too I was so sad when Fred died i don't understand why he had to nobody else died in that corridor from falling rubble!!!
New User
firebolt462
0 Kudos

A lot of my favorite parts have been mentioned, but a few that really stick out to me:
1. When Pansy Parkingson says something like why don't we just hand over Harry and all the Gryffindors, then Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws stand to protect him.
2. Luna's room, with the portraits of Harry Ron Hermione and Neville that says friends friends friends.
3. Colin Creevy's body being 'so small in death' - made me tear up a lot.
4. At the very beginning, after the Dursleys have left Privet Drive and Harry looks at the cupboard under the stairs.
5. Reappearance of Quidditch team during the battle.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Oh, and i forgot, though this scene is unbearably depressing, i cannot help but appreciate Fred's death; how he laughs at Percy right before he's blown away---it is very noble, i think, and very like Fred.

And when Percy is reunited with his family, well, that brought tears to my eyes.
New User
ChristynaFunes
0 Kudos

I really liked Mrs. Weasley defeating Bellatrix, i hated Bellatrix and was glad to see Molly finish her off. I also liked the fact that both Dudley and Draco, who had really made Harry's life impossible, appreciated Harry, because no matter how mean they were to him when it came time to let them live or die Harry saved their lives and they both seemed to come around, in their own ways, hahaha. I love how Neville showed everyone just how great of a wizard he was, he wasnt afraid to stand up to Voldemort and his loyalty always lied with Harry, he would have done anyhting to kill Nagini, he truly deserved to becomome the Herbology teacher. I wolud have liked to see what happened to the rest of the characters: the Weasleys, Hagrid, Luna, and what about Harry, Ron, and Hermione? What had they dedicated their lives to, besides getting married and having children? Overall, i loved the book, i cried when Fred died, and i couldnt believe that Lupin and Tonks were also dead, they had just had a baby, but the book was amazing, i loved it!!!
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

In the epilogue, Harry's kid says (i honestly forget which one!)"
"Our Teddy Lupin snogging our Victorine?"

When Snape conjures his patronus, and Dumbledore says: "After all this time?" and his eyes fill with tears. **crying**

Fred's last words: "You actually ARE joking, Perce, i don't think I've heard you joke since you were---"
And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh etched upon his face...**now sobbing**

And in the Prince's tale: "Her son lives. He has her eyes, precisely her eyes. You remember the shape and colour of Lily Evan's eyes, I am sure?"
"DON'T!" bellowed Snape. "Gone...dead..."
"Is this remorse, Severus?"
"I wish...I wish I were dead..."

---Ah...so sweet, bitter, bittersweet!