Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

Re: **SPOILERS** -- Favorite Moment(s)

mmm927, I love the way you described this. I also was the most moved by Dobby's death, and I think it was because we experienced Harry's heartache from the moment it happened, through the burial, with all of them taking off pieces of their clothes to dress Dobby. Dobby loved and admired Harry with no qualms or hesitation, and I don't think it was because he was innately a "servant", having been one his whole life, but because his feelings were genuine and deep. He truly laid down his life for Harry and never thought twice about doing it. (I'm actually getting teared up now and it's more than two weeks since I read that!)

I haven't read through all the comments yet, but so many of my favorite moments have been mentioned. I simply have to point out that the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, from the moment Harry pulled the cloak off, was riveting. People can call it cliche all they want to -- J.K. wrote this PERFECTLY! The fact that L.V. ultimately killed himself, in almost the same way it happened the night he attacked Harry the first time, came together and tied up the entire series as seamlessly as J.K. intended from the moment she first started plotting the series. In my opinion--breathtaking!
: Donna

mmm927 wrote:
Many of the best moments have already been mentioned. I think everyone will probably agree that Molly wins the award for best one-liner ever. However, my favorite and most touching moment was actually not in the final battle. It was the moment chapter when Dobby was killed.

More than any of the other deaths in the book, this one really touched me deeply. Perhaps it is because his death was the least expected, or perhaps because it got so much text devoted to it. While I mourned a bit for Mad-Eye and could have been heard to utter an emotional gasp at the death of Fred and a heart-felt moan for Lupin, Tonks and Colin Creavey, Harry's reaction to Dobby's death brought me to tears. I balled during that entire chapter as if I were attending Dobby's funeral in person.

It is also extremely significant for me in the course of Harry's story. Dobby's death is a passage of sorts from which Harry emerges with the full maturity and understanding required by someone with his destiny. No longer do we see the traces of his childish innocence or of the occasionally petulant and selfish teenage. Instead, Harry no shows maturity well beyond his years in his complete understanding of the consequences of his choices.

I believe that it was at the moment he laid Dobby to rest that Harry finally was prepared and ready to meet the destiny Dumbledore had been hiding from him. His quest for the horcruxes was no longer an adventurous puzzle but rather a fateful mission which he approached with dedication and determination.

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

For me, even more than Harry's point of view of Dobby, he was one of the main characters in the book that I just loved (hate to say it) to death. I knew one of the twins would die (ok I theorized it), but I liked Fred's wicked side (more than George) so I was pretty bummed that he had to be the twin to die. I'm off topic again, what can I say : )

HPSeeker wrote:
mmm927, I love the way you described this. I also was the most moved by Dobby's death, and I think it was because we experienced Harry's heartache from the moment it happened, through the burial, with all of them taking off pieces of their clothes to dress Dobby. Dobby loved and admired Harry with no qualms or hesitation, and I don't think it was because he was innately a "servant", having been one his whole life, but because his feelings were genuine and deep. He truly laid down his life for Harry and never thought twice about doing it. (I'm actually getting teared up now and it's more than two weeks since I read that!)

I haven't read through all the comments yet, but so many of my favorite moments have been mentioned. I simply have to point out that the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, from the moment Harry pulled the cloak off, was riveting. People can call it cliche all they want to -- J.K. wrote this PERFECTLY! The fact that L.V. ultimately killed himself, in almost the same way it happened the night he attacked Harry the first time, came together and tied up the entire series as seamlessly as J.K. intended from the moment she first started plotting the series. In my opinion--breathtaking!

mmm927 wrote:
Many of the best moments have already been mentioned. I think everyone will probably agree that Molly wins the award for best one-liner ever. However, my favorite and most touching moment was actually not in the final battle. It was the moment chapter when Dobby was killed.

More than any of the other deaths in the book, this one really touched me deeply. Perhaps it is because his death was the least expected, or perhaps because it got so much text devoted to it. While I mourned a bit for Mad-Eye and could have been heard to utter an emotional gasp at the death of Fred and a heart-felt moan for Lupin, Tonks and Colin Creavey, Harry's reaction to Dobby's death brought me to tears. I balled during that entire chapter as if I were attending Dobby's funeral in person.

It is also extremely significant for me in the course of Harry's story. Dobby's death is a passage of sorts from which Harry emerges with the full maturity and understanding required by someone with his destiny. No longer do we see the traces of his childish innocence or of the occasionally petulant and selfish teenage. Instead, Harry no shows maturity well beyond his years in his complete understanding of the consequences of his choices.

I believe that it was at the moment he laid Dobby to rest that Harry finally was prepared and ready to meet the destiny Dumbledore had been hiding from him. His quest for the horcruxes was no longer an adventurous puzzle but rather a fateful mission which he approached with dedication and determination.

Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

LOL! You brought to mind one of my favorite funny scenes (along with McGonagall and the galloping desks!)-- Kreacher wanting to hit Mundungus over the head with the frying pan one more time "for luck"! ROFL!

Psychee wrote:

HpFan840 wrote:
Does anyone not wonder what happened to Kreacher when they left him with that deatheater???

Personally, I hope Kreacher hit him over the head with a frying pan!

But yes, I was worried for Kreacher... more worried about him emotionally than physically, though... I didn't want him to feel abandoned...

Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

One of so many precious and moving moments, continuously revealing to Harry throughout the entire book, of the true hearts of the people in his life. Man, am I weepy today reading this stuff *sigh*

b-a wrote:
Luna's bedroom with the painting of her friends on the ceiling!

Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

I don't think it was a matter of Harry "lowering" himself to Dobby's level, but elevating Dobby to his rightful level. :smileyhappy: It was an amazingly moving and poignant scene.

halfscripts wrote:
I think the importance of Harry digging Dobby's grave without the use of magic is deep... Dobby has "served" others all his life, so now, in death, Harry is serving HIM. I think that was the most touching part of the entire scene, that Harry was "lowering" himself to Dobby's level (so to speak! If Hermoine were real & here I'm sure I would get smacked) in order to give him a proper burial, instead of just with an effortless wave of his hand.

Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

In my opinion, Snape's sarcasm throughout the series have supplied us with some of the absolute funniest moments! This was another great one!

lunaginnysnapeneville21 wrote:
My favourite part, possibly my favourite out of all the books was:

Dumbledore: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

That to me is just classic, it puts the whole meaning of Harry Potter into perspective...

I also love:

Snape: "Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

Christyna, I love you pointing out about Dudley and Draco. It shows that, although they displayed true loathing for Harry, it really stemmed from the influence of their parents and their own self-esteem issues; it wasn't a genuine hatred for Harry and there had to be an appreciation, reluctant or not, as to the type of person Harry really was. Dudley "grew up", and Draco wasn't truly a killer, nor did he want to see anyone killed.

ChristynaFunes wrote:
I really liked Mrs. Weasley defeating Bellatrix, i hated Bellatrix and was glad to see Molly finish her off. I also liked the fact that both Dudley and Draco, who had really made Harry's life impossible, appreciated Harry, because no matter how mean they were to him when it came time to let them live or die Harry saved their lives and they both seemed to come around, in their own ways, hahaha. I love how Neville showed everyone just how great of a wizard he was, he wasnt afraid to stand up to Voldemort and his loyalty always lied with Harry, he would have done anyhting to kill Nagini, he truly deserved to becomome the Herbology teacher. I wolud have liked to see what happened to the rest of the characters: the Weasleys, Hagrid, Luna, and what about Harry, Ron, and Hermione? What had they dedicated their lives to, besides getting married and having children? Overall, i loved the book, i cried when Fred died, and i couldnt believe that Lupin and Tonks were also dead, they had just had a baby, but the book was amazing, i loved it!!!

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

For some reason it took this line a while to hit me like it should have, but today i was going over the book again, listening to my ipod, and it could have been the music as it wasn't the most cheerful song, but I was SO sad when i reread it..."After all this time?" "Always."
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

Another favorite moment of mine is where the book says that Harry "saw in the distance a huge, batlike shape flying through the darkness toward the perimeter wall," but only because of something my friend said when we were going over the book together. We hadn't finished it yet, and since she was trying to convince me that Snape was evil she said, "You see? Snape IS evil! Why else would he become a bat and fly off into the night?" I nearly burst out laughing, because I found it so absurd that Snape could possibly be a bat Animagus (and that my friend could infer he was from that simple sentence)!
Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

I'm slowly rereading DH and another favorite moment of mine is when Molly gives Harry her brother's watch -- the way he hugged her and all the love he felt for her, and she for him.
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

That was a favourite moment of mine too, HPSeeker. I rather wish that Harry and Ginny had named their daughter Molly rather than Lily, after all the love and affection Molly had given to both of them. Molly really cared for Harry, knitting him sweaters, sending him fudge and pies, inviting him to stay at the Burrow when it meant inconvenience and danger. While I realize Harry felt love and loyalty towards Lily, he barely remembered her. Perhaps they could have compromised and called the kid Milly.

HPSeeker wrote:
I'm slowly rereading DH and another favorite moment of mine is when Molly gives Harry her brother's watch -- the way he hugged her and all the love he felt for her, and she for him.

Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
That was a favourite moment of mine too, HPSeeker. I rather wish that Harry and Ginny had named their daughter Molly rather than Lily, after all the love and affection Molly had given to both of them. Molly really cared for Harry, knitting him sweaters, sending him fudge and pies, inviting him to stay at the Burrow when it meant inconvenience and danger. While I realize Harry felt love and loyalty towards Lily, he barely remembered her. Perhaps they could have compromised and called the kid Milly.

HPSeeker wrote:

i think by naming his child lily he was passing on his story. he was also closing one of his many doors in his past to open a new one with his child lily.
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Frequent Contributor
Half-Blood_Canadian
0 Kudos

i have a feeling, well that is to say that after reading the epilogue i decided this is how it is, the 3 children's full names are:
Albus Severus
James Sirius (is not named after Remus because Teddy's full name is Ted Remus)
Lily Molly

Then for ROn and Hermione it's
Hugho Arthur
and Rose...something...they were originally going to name it Rose Nymphadora after Tonks, but then realized that TOnks would hate that. (oh...and when the child was born Ron joked about naming her Lavender to remember the 'fun times' then hermione got angry at him, shot a bunch angry spiders at him and watched him squirm for a few seconds before making them disappear:smileytongue:)

Mollywobbles wrote:

HPSeeker wrote:

Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

my favorite moment would have to be when Harry got to face voldy in front of everyone. through the whole series no one got to witness what Harry went through so there was a lot of doubt. now when it comes down to the wire Harry faced voldy and brought him down with everyones eyes on him. i think this proved to everyone what exactly the type of person Harry really was. if you think about i, would you believe harry and be behind him 100% in all the books if you were never there to witness any thing? if you only had word by mouth of what really happened? if all the evidence pointed the other way? this scene proved so much, that is why it is my favorite :smileyvery-happy:
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

...and for all we know, little Lily's middle name was Molly :smileyhappy:

Mollywobbles wrote:

HPSeeker wrote:

Frequent Contributor
HPSeeker
0 Kudos

...and if it wasn't for his mother, Harry wouldn't have lived after that horrible, Halloween night.

snider_kr wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

HPSeeker wrote:

i think by naming his child lily he was passing on his story. he was also closing one of his many doors in his past to open a new one with his child lily.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I know, I just think Lily Molly sounds rather awkward. And as to your next post, sure his mother saved him, but Molly mothered him. Harry spent a lot more time with Molly than he did with Lily, jeepers, she knit him sweaters and made him fudge. I'm certainly not denying the fact that Harry loved Lily, I just think that Harry seems to have named all the kids, while Ginny didn't get to recognize any of her family. Oh well, perhaps the children of James, Albus and Lily will be given names of their Weasley grandparents.

HPSeeker wrote:
...and for all we know, little Lily's middle name was Molly :smileyhappy:

Mollywobbles wrote:

HPSeeker wrote:

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Lily Molly seems like an odd name to me too. I keep wondering WHY Lily's sacrifice saved Harry. Was she so full of love that she had some special thing about her that caused it? No one else throws themselves in front of their child and the child survives an AK. I still don't get it, hopefully she'll answer that someday.

HPSeeker wrote:
...and if it wasn't for his mother, Harry wouldn't have lived after that horrible, Halloween night.

snider_kr wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

HPSeeker wrote:

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Actually, it was the combination of being given a chance to not die, and refusing to take it to protect Harry and her love of Harry that cause the Old Magic Protection. (She answered that one before DH came out)

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Lily Molly seems like an odd name to me too. I keep wondering WHY Lily's sacrifice saved Harry. Was she so full of love that she had some special thing about her that caused it? No one else throws themselves in front of their child and the child survives an AK. I still don't get it, hopefully she'll answer that someday.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Yeah but come on, is she trying to tell us that that combination hadn't been done before in the history of magic against an AK?

ShadowCougar wrote:
Actually, it was the combination of being given a chance to not die, and refusing to take it to protect Harry and her love of Harry that cause the Old Magic Protection. (She answered that one before DH came out)

PattyBNUChick wrote: