Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lunaginnysnapeneville21
0 Kudos

Re: **SPOILERS** -- The Biggest Surprises

Dobby is such a hero. He died to save his friends, that's the best way to go...
---------------------------------------------------
Dumbledore: "I am not scared Harry...I am with you..."
New User
lunaginnysnapeneville21
0 Kudos

Who does Teddy Lupin grow up with? Shouldn't it be Harry as he is the Godfather. Isn't that the way Godfathers work?
Dumbledore: "I am not scared Harry...I am with you..."
Frequent Contributor
dancingchick094
0 Kudos

lunaginnysnapeneville21 wrote:
Who does Teddy Lupin grow up with? Shouldn't it be Harry as he is the Godfather. Isn't that the way Godfathers work?

Haha. Well, in a manner of speaking, but Teddy grew up with his grandmother, Andromeda.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I guess the reason the Potters chose Sirius (and then Pettigrew) for their secret keeper may be related to what Lily wrote Sirius in the letter? Maybe she had her doubts about Dumbledore after the things she heard about him from Bathilda Bagshot?
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Definitely Dobby's death! I didn't at all expect it.
And even though I knew Fred would die (or at least, one of the twins), my feelings were alike to my facing the dementor's kiss. It was horrifying. As she wrote, it seemed all the world stopped dead (or something like that; i don't have the book with me) for Fred Weasley could not be dead. And I sobbed at the "the ghost of his last laugh etched on his face" sentence.
On a somewhat terribly brighter note, I was stunned that Voldemort would hide the cup in so obvious a place as a gringotts vault!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

When reading the series I only cried twice, when Dumbledore died, and when Dobby died. It was so sad!
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
Glassslipper
0 Kudos

The biggest surprise to me was the introduction of the "Deathly Hallows". I was a firm believer that the horcruxes were the deathly hallows. Adding this to the entire story was an interesting twist for me. The Deathly Hallows also filled some gaps for me regarding some of Dumbledore's behavior - he was there for Harry - but yet there was something else mysterious and even a bit 'selfish' of Dumbledore regarding Harry and I never could put my finger on it. Now I understand the torture Dumbledore was in at the Cave with the locket Horcrux and I understand some of Dumbledore's actions a bit more. The part of the book that made me respect JK Rowling's writing and her complete knowledge and command of the world she built was my realization in reading Book 7 that she set up in Book 6 for Snape to kill Dumbledore - only in Book 7 did it become evident that the wand would not work right for Voldemort - because Snape killed Dumbledore. If Draco had killed Dumbledore, then Draco would have had power but also be in more danger in that Voldemort would have to kill Draco to get the power of the wand from him. This was a unique and well thought out idea. I enjoyed the surprise of it. One last thought on this is that I find it immensely amusing that Voldemort did not know about the Deathly Hallows - he was a very powerful wizard due to dark magic, but he was not amoung the brightest - only the brightest knew of the Deathly Hallows and understood how to use them. Voldemort never got there - which showed his lack of superiority. The part of the book that made me hold my breath was when Harry entered the forest and met up with his dead family, friends and mentors. He was surpremely brave and valiant in continuing to move forward through that forest towards certain death. I cried there - not because Harry was going to die, but because he was going to die and still moved towards it.
Avid Book reader
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

You know, JKR usually gives hints...and i just thought of one. I mean, I knew one of the twins would die, but i wasn't sure which one. But i realize i should have! It was Fred on PotterWatch, not George, of course! She wanted to have one last, heart-stealing moment where you realize how much you love Fred, and Lupin, and then she wrenches it away! It's so obvious!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I thought it would be Fred. In re-reading, when George has his ear sliced off, the text is something like 'Fred croaked'.

ABI wrote:
You know, JKR usually gives hints...and i just thought of one. I mean, I knew one of the twins would die, but i wasn't sure which one. But i realize i should have! It was Fred on PotterWatch, not George, of course! She wanted to have one last, heart-stealing moment where you realize how much you love Fred, and Lupin, and then she wrenches it away! It's so obvious!

New User
lindab1220
0 Kudos

Bittermellow wrote:
I wasn't surprised that Remus and Tonks got married and had a baby, but I was really surprised that JKR killed them BOTH off. I knew that she would, though. It was bound to happen. . . Also, I hadn't been expected Snape to die like that, although the whole mysterious memory bit I had figured out already.
I think that the MOST shocking thing was definitely Hedwig and Dobby. As well as Fred. . . I almost stopped reading when Hedwig died. It was just so.... Sudden! No warning at all. The whole book was like BAMBAMBAM!

Someone mentioned to me that they heard from someone else that they had read something in a previous book regarding Fred Weasley's death. They seemed to remember a quote from Fred to Percy (this is not verbatum) - "Ya know Perce, if you should ever crack a smile or make a joke I might just drop dead".

They seemed to think this may have been from Book 2 or 3. It has been a while since I have read these and I flipped through them the other day but could not find anything.

Does anyone recall this being said by Fred? If so which book (and even what page number if known)?
Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

I guess it is a surprise to me that she had wrote that both lupin and tonks died leaving teddy behind. I mean it would be no big deal but she already had that happened to Harry, why would she want to rewrite that again. Just kind of surprising she would write that again. While reading DH it was so much predictable then the other books. It also didn't give you a deeper feeling other than reading it...i Guess you could say it was hurried and everything happened so fast. The others has so much enriched into the plot besides just the text..Does this make very much sense?
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I agree, the whole kid-left-completely-alone-with-only-a-godfather scenario is somewhat of a repeat, but it didn't bother me so much. But maybe you found it so predictable because there was so much more speculating then in latter books? I mean, we couldn't have gotten everything wrong!

I guess it is a surprise to me that she had wrote that both lupin and tonks died leaving teddy behind. I mean it would be no big deal but she already had that happened to Harry, why would she want to rewrite that again. Just kind of surprising she would write that again. While reading DH it was so much predictable then the other books. It also didn't give you a deeper feeling other than reading it...i Guess you could say it was hurried and everything happened so fast. The others has so much enriched into the plot besides just the text..Does this make very much sense?

Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
I agree, the whole kid-left-completely-alone-with-only-a-godfather scenario is somewhat of a repeat, but it didn't bother me so much. But maybe you found it so predictable because there was so much more speculating then in latter books? I mean, we couldn't have gotten everything wrong!

that could be, i mean there are hundreds of theories, at least some of them could be hit and miss
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Frequent Contributor
Glassslipper
0 Kudos

lindab1220 wrote:

Bittermellow wrote:
I wasn't surprised that Remus and Tonks got married and had a baby, but I was really surprised that JKR killed them BOTH off. I knew that she would, though. It was bound to happen. . . Also, I hadn't been expected Snape to die like that, although the whole mysterious memory bit I had figured out already.
I think that the MOST shocking thing was definitely Hedwig and Dobby. As well as Fred. . . I almost stopped reading when Hedwig died. It was just so.... Sudden! No warning at all. The whole book was like BAMBAMBAM!

Someone mentioned to me that they heard from someone else that they had read something in a previous book regarding Fred Weasley's death. They seemed to remember a quote from Fred to Percy (this is not verbatum) - "Ya know Perce, if you should ever crack a smile or make a joke I might just drop dead".

They seemed to think this may have been from Book 2 or 3. It has been a while since I have read these and I flipped through them the other day but could not find anything.

Does anyone recall this being said by Fred? If so which book (and even what page number if known)?

I think it is sad that both Tonks and Remus were killed - but I always felt that Lupin was a bit of a tragic character anyways. He always thought his family would never be accepted. I also think it set up for the epilogue where we hear that Harry and Ginny have their child over 3 times a week for dinner and to be part of the family. It showed how orphans can be treated - loving Grandparents and extended family.
Avid Book reader
Frequent Contributor
Glassslipper
0 Kudos

snider_kr wrote:

I hear what you are saying snider_kr - but I think she wrote it to show how an orphan can be treated - in the epilogue she addresses how much Harry is involved in his life and how Teddy has such a good life with his grandparents. It shows how it should be done. That may be why she did it. I did not thinK the book was rushed, it took over half the book for them to 'kill' the first horcrux! I also think that this book was about the last battle - she forwarned that there will be death and that some good must die in a war. So, I found the book very good and she did what she said she was going to do, it didn't feel rushed to me - it felt high in energy and quick moving - which I think in war, that is the way of it. I regretted having to read it so fast in order not to be 'spoiled'. That led to me having to re-read spots to readdress her ideas. In total - I really enjoyed the book. I think she did a superb job.
Avid Book reader
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:
I wasn't surprised that Remus died, but I didn't expect to see them both die and leave behind a little baby. That was one of the saddest moments for me.

I agree Bill. The deaths of Remus and Tonks were totally the saddest moment for me. I was really surprised to see them go. When we learn that Tonks was dead, I kept thinking of the moment when she ran out to fight. I kept thinking of only she could have stayed inside or something. Sooo sad.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I guess the reason the Potters chose Sirius (and then Pettigrew) for their secret keeper may be related to what Lily wrote Sirius in the letter? Maybe she had her doubts about Dumbledore after the things she heard about him from Bathilda Bagshot?
i think you'll find the answer in book 3 patty! sirius , lupin, harry and the gang , with pettrigrew in the shreiking shack. sirius told pettigrew that the only reason he was made secret keeper was because nobody would ever think wormtail was even worthy of it. they already figured dumbledore and sirius might be obvious/easy targets if voldemort was trying to track who the secret keeper is/ =)
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Sorry but I would take Dumbledore over Pettigrew any day, UNLESS they doubted Dumbledore somehow. I think that it would be the doubts about him over Pettigrew being a nobody

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
i think you'll find the answer in book 3 patty! sirius , lupin, harry and the gang , with pettrigrew in the shreiking shack. sirius told pettigrew that the only reason he was made secret keeper was because nobody would ever think wormtail was even worthy of it. they already figured dumbledore and sirius might be obvious/easy targets if voldemort was trying to track who the secret keeper is/ =)

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

OK, Now the biggest surprise is that I'm reading the book for the 3rd time and even though I read it slowly the second time I STILL missed things. Which I guess is good, I'm still reading new Rowling material lol. I completely missed the thing that Bathilda was speaking Parseltongue (via the Snake).
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

my biggest surprise was that Dobby died. it made me cry i think thats the part i cried the most. it was just so sad and making his last words be "Harry Potter" was what really get me. i was not surprised that Lupin died( i did not want him to died) but i did not think Tonks would die too.another surprise was that Hedwig died.:smileysad:
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"