Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Re: The Snape Thread

I wonder if Snape had any foresight to sense his end once he had to get back in with Voldy. Surely he must have known it was a possibility. Could he have used occlumency on Harry without Harry knowing it? If so, he could probably tell or sense that Harry was nearby. Oh, even better or worse, he could get into Voldy's mind. Would he have had the guts?
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I'm sure Snape knew that Voldemort could turn on him at any time. In that final scene in the shrieking shack, I think Snape knew it was coming.  I don't think Snape would have been able to sense Harry nearby-he didn't have the horcrux link with Harry.  I think too that occlumency or legilimency requires intent, and since Snape didn't know Harry was close, how would he even be able to try to read/block Harry's thoughts?

I don't know that I'd want to attempt legilemency on Voldemort.  It probably took all of Snape's mental discipline to block Voldemort's mental incursions. 

I've often thought it was pretty dumb of Voldemort not to make more use of the mind link with Harry.  Harry uses it to good advantage, even if it causes him a lot of pain.  When Voldemort possessed Harry at the MOM, he experienced excruciating pain, but we don't hear of him experiencing any pain when he plants the false images of Sirius in Harry's mind. You'd think Voldemort could have "seen" that Harry was going after the horcruxes, and have taken steps to protect them more-or better yet, intercept Harry in the forest.

Kreacherteacher wrote:
I wonder if Snape had any foresight to sense his end once he had to get back in with Voldy. Surely he must have known it was a possibility. Could he have used occlumency on Harry without Harry knowing it? If so, he could probably tell or sense that Harry was nearby. Oh, even better or worse, he could get into Voldy's mind. Would he have had the guts?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I think Voldy might have made better use of that mind link if he ever considered the nature of it -- that a part of his soul was inside Harry.   Theoretically, he might have been able to will that bit to do more damage to Harry's mind.  But as it was, he just thought it was some kind of accidental uber-connection brought about by the backfired curse which made himself more vulnerable to leaking info to Dumbledore than the other way around.

I'm also sure he didn't enjoy the pain of sharing his mind with Harry when Harry was thinking loving thoughts...  He probably only lasted as long as he did in Book 5 because Harry was so angry for most of the year.

Snape didn't seem to question the nature of that connection, either...  I wonder if they ever talked about it?

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Well in a way, the connection was formed by the backfiring AK, but I know what you mean. 

Good point about Voldemort not realizing how much pain the link could cause him-he didn't realize it while Harry was going through his cranky phase.

I imagine Voldemort must have questioned Snape extensively about Harry.  You'd think he'd want as much information as possible-and, much as I hate to admit it, a good reason for Dumbledore not to confide his suspicions about the Harry/horcrux to Snape until near the very end. 

Psychee wrote:

I think Voldy might have made better use of that mind link if he ever considered the nature of it -- that a part of his soul was inside Harry.   Theoretically, he might have been able to will that bit to do more damage to Harry's mind.  But as it was, he just thought it was some kind of accidental uber-connection brought about by the backfired curse which made himself more vulnerable to leaking info to Dumbledore than the other way around.

I'm also sure he didn't enjoy the pain of sharing his mind with Harry when Harry was thinking loving thoughts...  He probably only lasted as long as he did in Book 5 because Harry was so angry for most of the year.

Snape didn't seem to question the nature of that connection, either...  I wonder if they ever talked about it?

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

It has been 11 days since the last post. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. We must keep Snape alive, people! I know it appears as though we have talked endlessly about him, but I assure you, there is soooo much more to talk about. For example, we could ask each other what kinds of shoes he wore, do you think he shined them, did he need to? I bet he dropped potion goo on them from time to time so I bet he would need to shine them. Some veritaserum ingredients could be quite caustic by themselves. I bet the man went through a few pairs of shoes over the years even more so when Harry was at school.

We could also ask ourselves what Snape would be like if he were a guest on some of our favorite television shows. I for one, would love to see him on Jeopardy. I bet he would wipe the floor with that Ken dude. He would be sooooo excellent on any reality show. Think those people cry now? Wait til they get a load of the Snape.

Last, but not least, what if Snape walked into a Barnes and Noble store, his black cape billowing behind him, and you worked there? Mind you, this is not a stretch for some of you. He wanted a particular book, but you were out of stock of that book, what would you do? This, ladies and gentleman, should be a question to all prospective B & N applicants. And that is a funny word...applicants. Shouldn't it be appliCANS? Come on, people! Our world is messed up. But you CAN do your part. Keep the dream alive, and keep Snape at the top of the slop. He deserves our utmost respect! I CANnot do this on my own. Okay, I CAN, but I will complain the entire time and make you feel less than you truly are.

Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

In the world of what ifs...what if Snape moderated the second presidential debate?  What punishment would he extend if the candidates exceeded their time limit?
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I like the way you think , the_. Do you mind if I call you the_? That is an excellent question considering the last debate. I don't think they should use an unspeakable curse. Perhaps just a bit of a stun to keep them in line. Now as for those who are responsible for our financial woes and mortgage crisis, well they need to go to Azkabank Prison.
the_mad_chatter wrote:
In the world of what ifs...what if Snape moderated the second presidential debate?  What punishment would he extend if the candidates exceeded their time limit?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

He never washes his hair -- why would he care about his shoes?  :smileyhappy:  If he got potion on them, he would just Evanesco!  or Scourgify! the stuff off of them, wouldn't he?  Or maybe he'd polish them with a little hair grease?

Kreacherteacher wrote:

It has been 11 days since the last post. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. We must keep Snape alive, people! I know it appears as though we have talked endlessly about him, but I assure you, there is soooo much more to talk about. For example, we could ask each other what kinds of shoes he wore, do you think he shined them, did he need to? I bet he dropped potion goo on them from time to time so I bet he would need to shine them. Some veritaserum ingredients could be quite caustic by themselves. I bet the man went through a few pairs of shoes over the years even more so when Harry was at school.

We could also ask ourselves what Snape would be like if he were a guest on some of our favorite television shows. I for one, would love to see him on Jeopardy. I bet he would wipe the floor with that Ken dude. He would be sooooo excellent on any reality show. Think those people cry now? Wait til they get a load of the Snape.

Last, but not least, what if Snape walked into a Barnes and Noble store, his black cape billowing behind him, and you worked there? Mind you, this is not a stretch for some of you. He wanted a particular book, but you were out of stock of that book, what would you do? This, ladies and gentleman, should be a question to all prospective B & N applicants. And that is a funny word...applicants. Shouldn't it be appliCANS? Come on, people! Our world is messed up. But you CAN do your part. Keep the dream alive, and keep Snape at the top of the slop. He deserves our utmost respect! I CANnot do this on my own. Okay, I CAN, but I will complain the entire time and make you feel less than you truly are.

Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

You may certainly call me the_.  All my closest friends do!  I like all your ideas along with a segment where Sanpe would then be able to tell us exactly what the candidates where really thinking.
Kreacherteacher wrote:
I like the way you think , the_. Do you mind if I call you the_? That is an excellent question considering the last debate. I don't think they should use an unspeakable curse. Perhaps just a bit of a stun to keep them in line. Now as for those who are responsible for our financial woes and mortgage crisis, well they need to go to Azkabank Prison.
the_mad_chatter wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Personally, I think a couple of well placed Langlocks wouldn't go amiss.  I can hear Snape now..."Sarah Palin, our new celebrity!"  Up here, in our federal election, he wouldn't even need to cast the Petrificus Totalis-the candidates have already done that themselves.

the_mad_chatter wrote:
You may certainly call me the_.  All my closest friends do!  I like all your ideas along with a segment where Sanpe would then be able to tell us exactly what the candidates where really thinking.
Kreacherteacher wrote:
the_mad_chatter wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I love it when you get silly Kreacherteacher :smileyhappy:  You're absolutely right though, we have been neglecting poor Severus.

Perhaps you've hit on the reason for Snape's sour expression, his feet hurt!  Maybe some Dr. Scholl's inserts would help-then he could be "gellin" along with everybody else.

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

lol!  Good one, Mollywobbles!

Mollywobbles wrote:

Up here, in our federal election, he wouldn't even need to cast the Petrificus Totalis-the candidates have already done that themselves.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Off Topic briefly-the election was yesterday, and $300 million dollars later,we still have a minority government.  Plus, and this goes to my Petrificus Totalus comment, we had the lowest voter turnout in Canadian history at about 59%. Shameful.

Psychee wrote:

lol!  Good one, Mollywobbles!

Mollywobbles wrote:

Up here, in our federal election, he wouldn't even need to cast the Petrificus Totalis-the candidates have already done that themselves.

Frequent Contributor
laloz
0 Kudos

ok so I'm at work and just finished re rereading 'the princes tale' and can I say everytime i reread this chapter I fall in love with Snape al over again!

And when he says look at me.. I still want to cry!!!! I hope they don't cut any of that out of the 7th movie.. they have twice as long for this film so they ought to pay the respect thats due to Professor Snape.

Frequent Contributor
laloz
0 Kudos

Also because Alan Rickman will pull it off sensationally!!!!
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I'm with you laloz, that whole scene with Voldemort, Nagini, Snape and Harry is going to be awesome-a word I rarely use!

laloz wrote:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

laloz wrote:

Definitely something to look forward to.  And the film for Book 7?  His role at the end of that one will be an actor's dream, I should think!  I'm looking forward to that scene in the woods.....

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
TPau1
0 Kudos

Alan Rickman just rocks !
The more I know man, the more I like my cat.
Frequent Contributor
laloz
0 Kudos

To those in the US - Congratulations on a new President!!!!

On a Harry note - I  was scannng the top of this page re the last scene with LV & Snape.... I'm not sure if this has been covered as yet, but does LV not AKing Snape show some sort of sentiment, respect or feeling for Snape? Or would having Nagini kill Snape as it is more brutal been the last take that from LV?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Good question, laloz.  It could have been sentiment, but I think it is more likely that he didn't kill Snape with his wand because he thought that Snape was the Master of the Wand.

That's why he thought it necessary to kill Snape, after all.   Killing Snape by use of Nagini was risk-free for him.

laloz wrote:

To those in the US - Congratulations on a new President!!!!

On a Harry note - I  was scannng the top of this page re the last scene with LV & Snape.... I'm not sure if this has been covered as yet, but does LV not AKing Snape show some sort of sentiment, respect or feeling for Snape? Or would having Nagini kill Snape as it is more brutal been the last take that from LV?