Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Re: Say goodbye to Ron Weasley

kpeterson32 wrote:
Well, Harry really doesn't need more of a reason to go after Voldemort, so Ron's death fueling Harry's anger is kind of redundant. Nothing will keep Harry from doing what needs to be done.

Ron's death is possible, sure. But I think if a Weasley is going to die, it will be the most undeveloped of all nine of them: Charlie.

I agree with you kpeterson I doubt that Ron would be the one to go, in any Weasley would die it would be in my opinion Percy or Charlie.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
New User
princessash
0 Kudos

I have to agree with alot of you I don't think Ron will die but I do think he will be survearly injured... But I do know that Snape and Voldemort will be killed. Like somebody says if he does use an unforgivable curse he has a motive. In my opinion I think Harry should make Voldemort suffer but I do not think he will use an unforgivalbe curse even though he has kill so many close to Harry.
New User
birdfann33
0 Kudos

Ok so i dont think that ron will die.....i think it will be LV and Harry. Why Harry. His is the last Hexrocrex. Think About it LV dissappeared after killing all those people and who "stopped" him, harry. is there any chance that is wasnt Lilly's love that saved him, it was LV himself putting a piece of his soul into him?
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Well given that JKR has said explicitly that it was Lily's love that saved Harry I guess it's possible. Then there's the fact that LV has tried to kill Harry several other times (he actually shoots an Avada Kedavra at Harry in the MOM in OotP) LV didn't set out to make Harry a Horcrux and I highly doubt he is one.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I don't think Ron is going to die, but I do think he might get sucked into one of the vaults at Gringotts and Bill will have to get him out. The sweaters Mrs Weasley knits for him are always Maroon and I wonder if thats a clue about being marooned.
Inspired Contributor
Tasses
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, my two cents:

Gut instinct tells me that Hagrid and Percy Weasley are going down. I have silly reasons for this, but I still can't shake the gut feeling. Hagrid is the next best thing to Sirius & Dumbledore in Harry's life. This death would explain the early celebrity readers warning to 'get the tissues. ' Percy will pull a sacrifice.
As for the OOP: Kingsley, Tonks & Mad-Eye 50-50 chance, Mundungus has a redemption chance, Lupin - I'm worried about him getting the ax third most after Hagrid & Percy.

I think Snape is in danger of becoming a martyr, but that is too easy. Harry's death is also too easy.

And Ginny.... I see danger surrounding her, but I think she'll make it out alive. Too much has been said about her being 'special.'

Bad guys: Voldy dead, Lucious ? maybe, Bellatrix (imagine Helena Bonham Carter - PERFECT casting!) in a fight to the death, Wormtail - life dept to Harry repaid.

As for Ron.... I just don't see it happening. I think the epilogue will include a 'Samwise Gamgee" style "Ron became the mayor of 'Wizardville' and had 7 kids with Hermione" conclusion.
See all my reviews at: Reading Rumpus and Many A Quaint & Curious Volume
New User
flb713
0 Kudos

Re: Say goodbye to Ron Wesley

I agree about the possible death of Hagrid. But I also think that it is important to take into account characters that are not directly involved in Harry's life, yet. Possibly a new hero that just played a back role in the previous books. I think that the last book had a very shocking death and nothing short of Harry can top the death of Dumbeldore. But there can also be emotional aspects of Harry's past that make the book sad. And what about the possible death of many of the characters. Whose to say that Voldemort doesn't rise to power and the deatheaters begin to wipe out anyone who stands in their path. That would be shocking and sad and make the final book very climactic and yet maybe everything will be solved in the end.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Guys, don't you read interviews? JKR SAID "As if I'm going to kill Harry's best friend." This proves that Ron is not going to die.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

lol. With Rowling, a statement like that doesn't prove anything : )

agnijay wrote:
Guys, don't you read interviews? JKR SAID "As if I'm going to kill Harry's best friend." This proves that Ron is not going to die.

Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Yeah, guys, be careful about posting quotes from JKR. Patty will find a way to twist them.

:smileyvery-happy:
(Patty, you know I'm saying that in the friendliest of teases, right??)

PattyBNUChick wrote:
lol. With Rowling, a statement like that doesn't prove anything : )

agnijay wrote:

---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

I think that maybe Percy has been so up the MoM's butt, that he hasn't got the whole story. I think that they should at least save him untill he knows. Then he should die.
Frequent Contributor
Nyyankees55
0 Kudos

Hermoninny wrote:
I've read in these threads as well as an interview by JK that two important HP characters have to die in Deathly Hallows. My theory is that Ron is going to be one of them. Why? Well, I'll tell you why. Even though we all love Ron, he is very close to Harry and could potentially become a decoy (similar to what happened with Sirius in the 5th book). There have been no Weasley deaths so far and afterall, it's bound to happen, isn't it. Perhaps Ron will die at the hands of Voldemort or one of the Death Eaters and fuel Harry's anger. Or if Ron is not used as a decoy, he may simply get in the way somehow. It's sad, but that's my conclusion.

I agree with you that Ron might die, but I would hate to see him go.
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Why couldn't it be Dobby, or Firenze? JK. He might. But Harry ahs lost too much. I don't think that JKR would write so much happening to one person.
Frequent Contributor
tonkshermione
0 Kudos

I dont think Ron will die...Ron has to live for Hermione! Lol
But I did get a little scared when Arthur said in HBP that they owed their lives for harry becuz he saved Ginny, Arthur, and Ron. Also JKR said that one character she planned to kill will not die and two she wasnt going to kill are going to die...So maybe Ron will live but Ginny and her dad die trying to save Harry... Just a thought :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Well, she has said that the seventh book is really sad and that Harry goes through a lot. (Of course, I can't find the quote again now that I'm looking for it!) I don't think it's about Harry having to deal with the death of yet another person so much as I don't see how Ron's death will be a benefit. It doesn't have to happen in order for Harry to be motivated to go after Voldemort. He has enough motivation for that already.

hihi wrote:
Why couldn't it be Dobby, or Firenze? JK. He might. But Harry ahs lost too much. I don't think that JKR would write so much happening to one person.

Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

K he's had enough motivation since his parents. Sirius and DD were just icing on the cake though technically LV didn't kill either of them (I think that spells the end of both Bellatrix and Snape respectively) I don't see the purpose of having another close to Harry die, by that I mean Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, or Hagrid, but think that the good guys will take some casualties as well.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Exactly, allen. I don't think Ron, Hermione, Ginny, or Neville will be killed. There will be some deaths, but Ron's is hardly a foregone conclusion.

Although I do believe that quote from JKR about not killing Harry's best friend referred to the death in book 4 or 5, and was not a final statement on the fate of Ron. But his death would serve no purpose other than to add to the highly charged emotions the readers will feel as they plow through the book. He may have to make a sacrifice, referring back to the giant chess match in book 1, but that doesn't have to mean his life.

allenctynimrod wrote:
K he's had enough motivation since his parents. Sirius and DD were just icing on the cake though technically LV didn't kill either of them (I think that spells the end of both Bellatrix and Snape respectively) I don't see the purpose of having another close to Harry die, by that I mean Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, or Hagrid, but think that the good guys will take some casualties as well.

Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Yeah a lot of people point to the chess match as Ron sacrificing himself to help Harry to the ultimate goal but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll die. He may stay behind guarding a door or something to buy Harry time to get a Horcrux for all we know and get injured which in effect would be the exact same type of sacrifice. Of those closest to Harry I believe the kids are safe including Neville and Luna along with the 3 I've already mentioned. I want to say that Hagrid is safe but of the people that are left that are extremely close to Harry he would be the one most likely to pass on in my opinion. Though I'd hate to be the person or persons that did him in when Grawp and Norbert and Buckbeak and the Thestrals and the remaining Blast Ended Skrewt and Madime Maxine and Harry etc. find out. Man I cut that short and could've kept going with creatures and characters that Hagrid is close to for quite a while.
New User
GryffindorGinger
0 Kudos

Actually I much rather see Hermione die, Ron is so sweet. I like him too much as a character.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I like them both and don't want to see either of them die. Besides, if Hermione died, and Ron lived, how would he feel? She's one of his best friends, plus he loves her.

GryffindorGinger wrote:
Actually I much rather see Hermione die, Ron is so sweet. I like him too much as a character.