New User
mathman911
0 Kudos

THE END (only if you've finished book 6)

Do you think that Snape and Dumbledore had something worked out so that the Death Eaters wouldn't see Snape try to protect Dumbledore from them since he was weak, or is Snape straight out FOE?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: THE END (only if you've finished book 6)

mathman911 wrote:
Do you think that Snape and Dumbledore had something worked out so that the Death Eaters wouldn't see Snape try to protect Dumbledore from them since he was weak, or is Snape straight out FOE?

Mathman911 -- why don't you come over to the "Waiting For Harry" board to discuss this. You'll find a lot of threads there in which we talk about this subject (and many more! )
Frequent Contributor
Super_Reader
0 Kudos

mathman911 wrote:

he had a deal, and Snape was supposed so not truely kill him, but, as Snape was going up to the tower, he was put under the imperious curse, and as he was about to say the incantation "he had a look of utter revulsion" beacause he weakened the spell just enough to make a face

thats just my theory though

you should try WAITING FOR HARRY

that answers this kinda stuff
Frequent Contributor
scamp5
0 Kudos

This might be way out there, but what if Dumbledore was a horcrux and had to get killed?
"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
Frequent Contributor
Kimberlh
0 Kudos

mathman911 wrote:

I think snape is good and Dumbledore when saying Please Snape was telling him to kill him. And Snape yelling at Harry at the end he can't win against him as long as his mind is open was a warning to harry to practice closing him mind.
Contributor
bree
0 Kudos

He wasn't under the inperous curse! He was working for Dumbledore but also for Voldormort! So, he wasn't under the imperious curse!
Thanks, Bree
Contributor
herbsinger42
0 Kudos

Any double agent is under suspicion from both sides... and Snape suffers for his following Dumbledore...

I am surprised that Snape was in love with Lilly. Not that Harry's mom wouldn't be loveable... but that Snape would have held a torch for a girl that chose James. It does say something about his soul, that no other action would have. James may have grown enough for Lilly to love, but he would have had to done something amazing to redeem himself to Severus.

I was also surprised at the relationship between Severus, Lilly and Petunia. Who would have guessed that Severus' family would have chosen to live near Privet Drive? His family was a wizarding family... and then, of course, the idea that the family home was there... tho James' home was so famous... and the rift between two wizarding families...would have gotten so out of hand before the rise of the Deatheaters...

Not that feuds don't happen. I found no problem with,say Snape and the "James gang" having issues at school... but that the headmaster wouldn't have been "forced" to take action to either protect Snape or curb James, et al. With the 'House System' in play... although I really don't have any insight into a boarding school. ( American public school is my reference) With magic afoot-- even with the legacy of the cloak and the marauder's map... wouldn't there have been ways to "spot" kids engaging in inappropriate behavior?
I'm not trying to re-write the books... well, only sort of...
You can't stop the signal, Mal.
-Mr. Universe
Frequent Contributor
Nyyankees55
0 Kudos

Y'know, I actually suspected that Snape loved lily since book 5. I had wondered why James and Severus hated each other so much, and I figured that it was because they both loved Lily, and Snape was afraid that James would go out with her.
Frequent Contributor
stacielynn
0 Kudos

James was in Snape's way especially after all Snape had done for her. He loved her from first sight. It is hard to love someone from afar and to be outdone by someone who always picked on him. I actually feel bad for Snape now.
StacieLynn

Why does it have to end?

JKR Please write another book series.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

stacielynn wrote:
James was in Snape's way especially after all Snape had done for her. He loved her from first sight. It is hard to love someone from afar and to be outdone by someone who always picked on him. I actually feel bad for Snape now.

But he wasn't loving her from "afar"... they were "best friends" -- he always had her as a close friend until he called her a "filthy mudblood" and started planning with his friends to become a DeathEater.
Frequent Contributor
Glassslipper
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

stacielynn wrote:

But he wasn't loving her from "afar"... they were "best friends" -- he always had her as a close friend until he called her a "filthy mudblood" and started planning with his friends to become a DeathEater.

Lily was close to Snape - but was starting to argue with him when he started hanging out with the Slytherin crew who hated so called 'mudbloods'. She began to have an issue with his aliances, and she told him so. He never took her word for it, his love for the dark arts out weighed his love for her. Once he called her the name - that was the end for her - she broke off her friendship with him - but it was his fault that this happened - he could have changed - but didn't. Unfortunately for Snape - she turned to James more so after this. Snape's story is a sad one - but he did have some control of his relationship with Lily - and he was the one that blew it. I do think that James was a prankster - but more so to Snape because he knew about Snape's feelings for Lily or sensed it. Snape's regret for losing Lily stopped him in his tracks - all the other death eaters found wives - why not Snape he was stuck on a relationship that would never work - and he couldn't move off of it and progress ahead. Don't get me wrong - I feel for Snape too - he is truly a tragic character in the series, but he is not faultless in what happened between him and Lily and if anything; had more to do with them breaking off than Lily did. My humble opinion. :smileysad:
Avid Book reader
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

mathman911 wrote:

I think the whole Snape not telling the others was great from JKR since telling it before hand would have given away the last bit of info and made Snape less interesting than he was to us all. JKR kept us guessing about Snape till the end, and that was totally awesome.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

dayrenm wrote:

mathman911 wrote:

I think the whole Snape not telling the others was great from JKR since telling it before hand would have given away the last bit of info and made Snape less interesting than he was to us all. JKR kept us guessing about Snape till the end, and that was totally awesome.

I liked that,too. Critics give her a real hard time about that, though. One person called her Pensieve chapter a "constipated info-dump". I LOVED getting all the information at once!
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

the HUGE flashback montage from Snape, I think was a bit awkward for the sake of narrative flow. But it serves the story in that this was chosean as the time that Harry was supposed to experience these revelations. Human experiences do not always conform to the principles of smooth narrative flow, do they?

As a writer, I'm sure there's a 'better' way she could have given us this info. But if she had given it to us more gradually, we wouldn't get so worked up over Snape, and I think she's had alot of fun hiding Snape's motives over the years.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

i agree phrodo... i thought it would be better IF jkr decided to let harry know the truth about snape earlier. then harry would go save snape after mustering the strength to let himself hav an open mind and forgive snape. then would be in vain because voldemort would still be able to kill snape , ending in a chase. harry would hide. then voldemort would make his last announcemet, then battle of hogwarts.. etc. you know the story...
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
the HUGE flashback montage from Snape, I think was a bit awkward for the sake of narrative flow. But it serves the story in that this was chosean as the time that Harry was supposed to experience these revelations. Human experiences do not always conform to the principles of smooth narrative flow, do they?

As a writer, I'm sure there's a 'better' way she could have given us this info. But if she had given it to us more gradually, we wouldn't get so worked up over Snape, and I think she's had alot of fun hiding Snape's motives over the years.

I agree. I think she held back information from us for as long as she possibly could, playing games with our minds. For those of us who obsessed beforehand as to what she was hiding, that chapter was a gift. No holding back, a flood of information... but it is IS unusual...
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

im no writer, but i thought the 7th book is the least edited book.but i still like it!
i just feel for snape. =(
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

I think it would be a good idea for the filmmakers to include some of this information in the 6th film - Snape and Dumbledore arranging his death; the argument in the forst... it would make the 7th film alot simpler.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Personally, I don't know how they are going to cover the story with those movies. The sixth book just ends in a cliffhanger, and you have to know what was in the sixth to understand the seventh. It seems to me that it is all one story.

I wonder if they changed the script for the sixth when they read the seventh book. They were already in production when it came out, weren't they?
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Personally, I don't know how they are going to cover the story with those movies. The sixth book just ends in a cliffhanger, and you have to know what was in the sixth to understand the seventh. It seems to me that it is all one story.

I wonder if they changed the script for the sixth when they read the seventh book. They were already in production when it came out, weren't they?

I think so Psychee, but i do believe that they aught to change the production now that we know how it ends simply because there were many unanswered questions before 7that if no included in six would make no sense.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!