Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Tell me why.

ABI wrote:
Psychee, you owe me for the eye surgery I now require due to this insane colorizing! It's blinding me! lol.

I've made a pair of neutralizing spectacles for you... sending them to you by owl... no guarantee of delivery, though, lol, as that poor owl will have to negotiate through the metropolitan airspace... ! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
kat26
0 Kudos

hahaha! yeah ive enjoyed those colored thingy..
ive made one for my signature too! haha!

try it abi.. its fun!!:smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos

Hey! I was the first to discover the color on my signature.
It is quite fun!
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Hey Belle, I don't think that I've ever directly talked to you. Hey! AND I've caught you on
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
kat26
0 Kudos

haluuuuu everyone! hi belle! hi agnijay!

hows ur day?:smileyhappy:
0 Kudos

Hello Jaya! Hello Kat!

My day is going well. Thanks for asking.

How is yours?
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
Frequent Contributor
SnapeIsMyHomie
0 Kudos

I actually saw the first two movies first. And then I read the books, and I realized how much they missed out in the movies. I was hooked was page 1, book 1. I like the books way better then the movies.
.Snape Is My Homie.

Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale.
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

Every book is better than the movie! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
SnapeIsMyHomie
0 Kudos

Yup. I'm glad you agree! *hugs peculiarbelle*
.Snape Is My Homie.

Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale.
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

I think every bookworm should agree. I can't stand to see books made into movies. That is probably my biggest pet peave.
Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My aunt worked for a publishing company (when we still lived in Canada) and give it to me the year I turned 11. Ten years ago, yeesh. I read them as they came out but I didn't become a ~fan of the series until around book 5. It's actually quite rare that I would get so into a fantasy series since usually I don't like them.

Message Edited by halfscripts on 12-16-2007 11:03 AM

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I really don't know why I got into HP. I'm not a fantasy person at all. LOTR is the extent of my knowledge in the said subject. And now HP.
Hmmmm...want to know something? I'm bored.
You guys really know I'm bored cause...

:smileyhappy:

I'm using COLOUR!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

How do you do the color thing??
On a wing and a prayer.
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

Abi you crack me up. Not able to sleep...again, my dear?
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

My darlings! I found another great thread for you! For the newbies and the O.A.D. (Old as dirt) members such as mahself who is fantatstic and wonderful….. have fun!

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
ciproano
0 Kudos

Funnily enough, I don't remember just where I heard about the Harry Potter series, but I had heard enough good things that I wanted to read them...but with two (then) young boys, so little time.  In late 2002 I had spinal surgery and had eight weeks of recuperation time to enjoy reading at leisure...so I had the first four stacked up ready to go when I got out of the hospital.  I don't remember love at first page, but was definitely hooked by the end of the first book.  As I've long been a fan of audiobooks, I discovered the Jim Dale readings not long after and was smitten.  It was also a wonderful way to share the books with my sons, and we've all been fanatics ever since. 

It is totally unlike anything I usually enjoy reading.  Like others here have mentioned, fantasy wasn't something I have ever liked.  But I have never really seen the whole magical context as "fantasy", more like the backdrop for the real story.  It does make for some fun, though!  And I think there has always been an underlying lesson:  that even if you could wave a magic wand, it wouldn't necessarily make homework, chores, heartache or bullys go away.   I just loved the scene at the opening of HBP when Fudge and Scrimgeour visit the Other Minister and he whines about why they can't just fix it with magic (because the bad guys have magic, too, they reply, without adding, "Dolt!" like Phinneas Nigellus would).

One of the things I like most about Harry is his ability to buck up and face whatever needs facing, whether it is dementors, dates for the Yule Ball, or homework.  It is a wonderful role model for all the young readers (and many of us oldies as well).  So although I have enjoyed the story line of the series, I have enjoyed more the deeply thoughtful "lessons", watching Harry (and friends) grow up and waiting for the next priceless DD quote!

Cindy
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I've had some tough times, being five years old when I read it for the first time. By the time I was seven, I had finished the fourth one, and I didn't really understand the beginning part at the time. There are a few times I thought "GET TO HOGWARTS ALREADY" but I managed to get through the first 11 chapters, and after that it was all uphill.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

You started reading at five jaya? Wow that’s really great.

You’re right cip! HP is a great role model  for young and old people alike..

I love harry because it talks about friendship, love and family.

And Ronald weasley is like my twin, without the freckles.

I was so glad when I found out about this board.

Because to  me finding another fan who understood and appreciated the book for its every details is really something!

Im looking forward to meeting new members and hearing about their life.

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

my older sister was reading them.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Frequent Contributor
ravensilverlight
0 Kudos

I had heard all the hype about HP, and it didn't really affect me.  I have never really cared what was popular, I'm always behind in fashion and music and things like that.  Then my little brother started raving about the books, and I decided to give them a try since we often share interests.  I was hooked from page 1.  I borrowed the first three from him (that's all there were back then *sigh*). I read them...voraciously.  Then I bought my own copy and shared them with my husband.  We both were absolutely smitten.  We got on the waiting list for GoF as soon as we could and we've never looked back.  I can't believe it's over...but we still have this board!!! Yay!!!:smileyvery-happy: