Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Re: Tell me why.

I hate hype.  Always have.  When HP first came out, and everyone started raving, I refused to read the book.  Someone else here mentioned they didn't want to give in to the hype, that's me too.  I had gone through too many fads with the kids, having to have EVERYTHING Powerpuff, or EVERYTHING Pokemon, and I thought that HP was just another in the long list.  All the superlatives being used, exclamation marks with everything HP, JKR's being hailed as a genius, it all simply set my teeth on edge.

Then, sometime after the fourth book was out, a friend gave me a copy of the first book as a gift.  I sat and read it in one sitting....and the next day went out and bought books two, three and four.  The rest I pre-ordered as soon as I could.  Shared them all with my daughter. 

Isn't it refreshing when for once, all the hype is actually true?
:smileyvery-happy:
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

I was at Barnes and Noble the night book 7 was being released.  I was there just to have a coffee with a friend when all sorts of people (age 6 to 60) were dressed in costumes and having a great time in the aisles.  The store was crazy and I loved that this book would ignite this passion for reading across generations.  I caught the bug that night. 
I mentioned to my step kids that I had not seen any of the movies or read the books and they were shocked.  They are in their early 20s and Harry Potter is such a big part of their pop culture.  So they got me the first two books for Christmas.  I have a long TBR list and so I actually got to them the first weekend in February.  I just finished book 7 yesterday afternoon.  ( I read it in less than 24 hours).  I loved the series from book  1, page 1 and now look forward to re-reading the series.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Hello guys!

Raven, its really cool that you and your husband got into HP together..its rare that I hear of couples who, you know, share interests and do them together and stuff. That’s really a good thing.,

Chana, I understand what you mean about hype and trying not to be pulled in to whats ‘in’. but you know what, if people like it, it must be for a good reason. but you know, its just like those surveys… 80% of this says that blah blah blah.. it’s not fact. Its just what people says. But HP obviously is something else isn’t it. People like it because its really really good.

My friend wanted me (actually forcing me!) to read those um.. paolo coehlo books (did I spell it right?) I still don’t get it. Lol.

Mad chatter! U cant believe you just finished book seven! But that’s cool! This board is HUGE! We’d be happy to hear your thoughts on DH and other HP related topics. This is so exciting!

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

I'm not really saying everything "in" is bad, some things are terrific and some are horrendous.  I spent many a midnight dressed up and participating at a showing of Rocky Horror in my day.  (My parents were appalled.)   It's just the fantastic claims about things - like they're the best thing since ice cream - it makes my hackles rise. 

So much publicity is drummed up for profit regardless of quality, I guess I'm just old and jaded and skeptical.    :smileyvery-happy:
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This is such a great story, mad_chatter--I'm always intrigued to hear about how new readers get into Potter.  It will be interesting to hear how readers from now on (that is, "post-hype") will come around to picking up the books. 

~ConnieK

the_mad_chatter wrote:
I was at Barnes and Noble the night book 7 was being released.  I was there just to have a coffee with a friend when all sorts of people (age 6 to 60) were dressed in costumes and having a great time in the aisles.  The store was crazy and I loved that this book would ignite this passion for reading across generations.  I caught the bug that night. 
I mentioned to my step kids that I had not seen any of the movies or read the books and they were shocked.  They are in their early 20s and Harry Potter is such a big part of their pop culture.  So they got me the first two books for Christmas.  I have a long TBR list and so I actually got to them the first weekend in February.  I just finished book 7 yesterday afternoon.  ( I read it in less than 24 hours).  I loved the series from book  1, page 1 and now look forward to re-reading the series.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

I'm assuming the hype will continue until the last film is released, which will hopefully still nudge people into reading the books as well. 

And then,  we still have the encyclopedia which will bring more hype.

After that, it is an interesting question........

I'll do my part by buying the books as gifts as long as I can find people who haven't yet discovered the wizarding world.....
Chana

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I just need to repeat myself. Haha!

I didn’t like harry potter but changed my mind when I finished the first paragraph about Vernon dursley, thank you very much.  That did it for me. And ever since…

We have this ‘rehab’ thread, where in we were all imagining how it would be if we would be in a potter rehab. It was really fun. I love the fact the HP changed lives, challenged people’s point of view, got people together.  And I love debating about it too.

Its interesting how one person can read the same lines differently compared to how I understood it. I love it.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think for sheer charm I like SS the best.  As I have said repeatedly, however, OOTP is my favourite.  In SS the little phrases like, thank you very much, and don't you know, felt like it was a book you could happily read to a kid at bedtime. I'm expressing this poorly, but I think that book would lend itself to being read aloud more easily than some of the later books.  Perhaps this goes back to Connie's comment on another thread that Rowling was more adept as an oral storyteller, rather than a novelist.  I think trying to read OOTP aloud to a kid would be much tougher sledding.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

I just need to repeat myself. Haha!

I didn’t like harry potter but changed my mind when I finished the first paragraph about Vernon dursley, thank you very much.  That did it for me. And ever since…

We have this ‘rehab’ thread, where in we were all imagining how it would be if we would be in a potter rehab. It was really fun. I love the fact the HP changed lives, challenged people’s point of view, got people together.  And I love debating about it too.

Its interesting how one person can read the same lines differently compared to how I understood it. I love it.

Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

May I just say that reading the OOTP was soooooo hard.  A petulant Harry is a very hard read. 
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

the_mad_chatter wrote:
May I just say that reading the OOTP was soooooo hard.  A petulant Harry is a very hard read. 

I love reading aloud......but I agree, after the first half of the series I seriously considered investing in the audio books. 
Chana

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Good thing! I currently re-reading book five my dears. :smileytongue:

You know whats funny, I read two chapters yesterday before I went to sleep.

Its really fascinating how JKR writes the flow of the story.

See here, after the incident at grimmauld place where Molly tackled the boggart in vain (by which see saw the bodies of her dead family) and after Lupin consoled her. Harry made his way to his room.

Then the passage went like this:

The scar on Harry’s forehead starting throbbing with pain and Harry rubbed it.

‘Cut it out,’ he said.

And a chuckle coming from the blank portrait was heard , and it said, ‘first sign of madness, talking to yourself.’

Then the next chapter is entitled: Luna Lovegood.:smileytongue:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Interesting, Mad.  One of the reasons OOTP is my favourite is the fact that Harry is petulant, throws a few tantrums, and is just edgier than ever before.  This just had a truer ring to me and seemed quite age appropriate.

the_mad_chatter wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

You've gotta love Phineas!

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Then the passage went like this:

The scar on Harry’s forehead starting throbbing with pain and Harry rubbed it.

‘Cut it out,’ he said.

And a chuckle coming from the blank portrait was heard , and it said, ‘first sign of madness, talking to yourself.’

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

15 years old. Right/ :smileysurprised:

this was the book where harry first said he felt ‘older’….

I like this book, but damn why did Sirius have to die?

Frequent Contributor
ravensilverlight
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I think for sheer charm I like SS the best.  As I have said repeatedly, however, OOTP is my favourite.  In SS the little phrases like, thank you very much, and don't you know, felt like it was a book you could happily read to a kid at bedtime. I'm expressing this poorly, but I think that book would lend itself to being read aloud more easily than some of the later books.  Perhaps this goes back to Connie's comment on another thread that Rowling was more adept as an oral storyteller, rather than a novelist.  I think trying to read OOTP aloud to a kid would be much tougher sledding.

I have read all seven books out loud...for those of you who joined after I mentioned this, my husband is dyslexic and it was a great way for us to share HP (we've also read a lot of other books, it's great on long car trips lol).  They really did get more difficult to read aloud as they went on, but it truly brings the books to life.  Reading out loud, or listening to the audio books, opens up the world; it allows the listener to visualize the events instead of concentrating on the words themselves...
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

I also started reading the first book aloud to my husband (he also wanted to know what the hype was about, but -get ready for it-hates reading-GASP!).  So I was reading from book 1 aloud and I just got greedy because I knew I could read so much faster if I didn't.  He never made it past the "No post on Sunday"...the anticipation was tooooo much I had to drop him and read!  :smileywink:

However, I agree with you that reading the book aloud helps you to visualize the scene and the inflection of the dialogue. 
Contributor
hannahkay13
0 Kudos

Well, I believe that my brother convinced me to read them. I started to Read the first one about 2 years after it came out when I was 7 or 8. I was a pretty early reader so I read pretty difficult books for my age. I absolutely loved them so of course I couldn't stop. And yes. I was hooked right away, and after I started I need to keep reading them and reading them. I have always been a pretty big reader since then so I get hooked to some books pretty easily.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

_-Hannah//.
Frequent Contributor
Kate_b
0 Kudos

M mother gade me a beutiflu copy of the 1st harry potter book when i was young and i have devoured them all (several times).I thought the crhonicals of narnia was good when iwas good and a wrinkle in time.I loved the book from senctnce one (not really but i got caught up in the world quikly)
A verey merry un-birthday to you and you. and you is it your un -birthday too?
Contributor
gossipgirlwhoreads
0 Kudos

I picked Harry Potter to read, because my Aunt bought it for me and said it was the best book she's ever read, and at the time she was fourty seven. My cousin also recommended it.
I started reading them when I was ten, so probably when Order of the Pheonix was just coming out?
I became obsessed after page one. i needed the other books, i was in pain while waiting for the sixth and seventh.
Frequent Contributor
zman1980
0 Kudos

I started reading them after HBP came out.  My bosses kids were reading them and he told me how good they were, and recommended them.  I had seen the movies and thought that they were good, but I still thought of the books as kids books.  Was hooked after the first chapter, and quickly learned that after POA they weren't kids books anymore.  I know I wouldn't let a kid younger then 10 read GOF, OTP, HBP, or DH on their own.