Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Tell me why.

Here are my questions du jour:

Why did you pick up Harry Potter to read?
Were any other books out in the series when you began reading them?
Did you like it from book 1, page 1?

I did it solely because I teach and I felt a responsibility to read what the kids read.
I began reading book 1 around the time book 5 was being published.
I loved it and was hooked from book 1, page 1.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Tell me why.

Kreacherteacher wrote:

I did it solely because I teach and I felt a responsibility to read what the kids read.

The series was recommended to me by a colleague after the second book was out; he knew that the humor and the overall ambience of the storyline was something I would greatly enjoy. So I read the first two back to back and indeed, I loved it from Page 1.
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:

I started when book 3 was coming out, and I had never really read a book about magic. I loved it from page 1 ,book 1.
Contributor
Frostilaire
0 Kudos

Well.. I first encountered HPSS when my uncle gave it to me for my birthday. I read it because I thought it was going to be a good book. I was 6 years old.

I think that the second and third book were out too.

At first I couldn't really imagine what it was like in the book, so I was kind of confused. Then I understood it better and came to like it. I thought that Dumbledore was way younger than he actually is!
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I read them when I was five because my dad made me, and I ended up loving them.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

I picked it up because there used to be a mandatory accelerated reading program at my elementary school, and the HP books were worth a lot of reading points.
I started the 1st one a while after GOF was released.
I liked it from book 1 page 1! I LOVED it by book 3! And I became COMPLETELY OBSESSED during book 5!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
**starts singing - terribly**

"...Tell me whhhyyy you cry...and why you liiiiieeed to meeeee...."

Okay. Why? I picked up Harry Potter because everybody else was reading it. (I was somewhat young) Well...at least they SAID they were. When I turned up at the end of the summer looking crazed and oh too excited, teary eyed on some subjects, everyone in my class stared at me as though they didn't know the meaning of HP. You can imagine my disappointment...i thought I was going to have people to discuss it with!

Then I waited many sad years, no HP companion to speak of, and then, end of story, I found you guys! *beams*

Message Edited by ABI on 11-28-2007 11:03 PM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:

lol.... speaking of when we encountered things for the first time... ABI, I heard that Beatles song when it first aired on NYC AM radio, WABC, with Cousin Brucie... and I loved it from the first note, lol...
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

ABI wrote:

lol.... speaking of when we encountered things for the first time... ABI, I heard that Beatles song when it first aired on NYC AM radio, WABC, with Cousin Brucie... and I loved it from the first note, lol...

oh cool psychee. Unfortunately, I encountered all Beatles songs second generation. Ahhh...but in a way I grew up with them. Correction, I did grow up with them. what can I say, I'm a classics girl.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:

Psychee wrote:

ABI wrote:

oh cool psychee. Unfortunately, I encountered all Beatles songs second generation. Ahhh...but in a way I grew up with them. Correction, I did grow up with them. what can I say, I'm a classics girl.

Funny, when I was growing up, "classics" referred to Mozart, et al., lol... Yet, you are so right. Beatles, Beach Boys, and the like are very much classics now. I do remember my mother complaining about that music as "trashy", though, with ridiculous and repetitive lyrics, and I always argued with her. She, of course, was comparing my songs to the music of HER generation, the forties music which now is sung by Rod Stewart in his "Great American Songbook" collection, and she was right, because the lyrics of her generation were incredibly witty and intelligent. The rhythms were also more complicated, and in truth, are now my favorite stuff to drive by. But although at the time HER music was played in elevators and in the supermarket, now all the stuff I listened to as a youngster are being played in the elevators and the supermarkets as "classics". I wonder what they will play twenty years from now? I hope it isn't rap, as that will surely tempt me to my grave... :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Ha! She thought the Beatles were trashy! :smileyhappy: If that's trashy, than I don't even know how one would categorize the rap of today!!!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
kat26
0 Kudos

I started reading HP when the ebook was released/ spammed in our office.. i already had the HPOTP since last year but havent had the time to read it.. but when i started reading HPSS, man! i got hooked!! i never missed the movie though but i realized it was way diff from the book.. kind of disappointed already with the movie!!!

im planning to buy the complete series now for my daughter!

think im crazy coz im actually trying to cast some spell in my mind.. haha!! :smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos

I *saw* SS and then read CS, POA, and GOF back to back. I didn't read SS until this year! So the movie got me into it, but yes, I was hooked from the beginning.

My sister knows this crazy family where the children are *required* to read the books in order AND not allowed to see the movies until they've read the books.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Frostilaire!

~ConnieK

Frostilaire wrote:
Well.. I first encountered HPSS when my uncle gave it to me for my birthday. I read it because I thought it was going to be a good book. I was 6 years old.

I think that the second and third book were out too.

At first I couldn't really imagine what it was like in the book, so I was kind of confused. Then I understood it better and came to like it. I thought that Dumbledore was way younger than he actually is!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

Saw the first 2 movies and thoght they were fun and entertaining but I was never fanatical about them; I was first interested in the books when OOTP came out and I heard all the reviews about how huge and dark and complex the story had become. I tried to start reading 5, but none of it made any sense, so I went back to III and have been engrossed ever sinse. I think it was the last 100 or so pages of GOF that really got me hooked, and by the time 5 came out, I was staying up all night, reading it nonstop.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Loved it from Book 1, page 1! My sons got me into them, early on. I remember hearing about the author's story first, though, before I read the books. I was intrigued about this single mother on welfare writing this book that was so popular in Britain, and I wanted to know more. I remember seeing JKR on _The Rosie O'Donnell Show_, telling her story. That had to be one of her first, if not the first, American book tour.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
well i started reading HP after the second movie came out. i was going to read it after the first movie but i was young and i didn't like it so i stop reading it. after the second movie i thought " well i should give it other go" so i did. and when i started read it again i fall in love with the series and ever since then i have been a Harry Potter freak and happy about it. i am so glad i decision i pick up Harry Potter again.

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 11-29-2007 12:41 PM
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Isn't in interesting when we find a book or books we love how fulfilled we feel? I don't know quite how to explain it, but it's a thirst that drives us for more. I could live in a bookstore. I would be frightfully pale and have a huge head with a well-nourished brain, but I would love it. I'd also have jitters from all of the coffee.

Message Edited by Kreacherteacher on 11-29-2007 05:50 PM
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Must admit I got into them b/c my sister had me drag her to see SS in theaters. After watching the first movie I "stole" her copies of COS and POA and GOF and read through them all in very short order. I've been hooked ever since for the most part.

*looks around sheepishly* Probably a bad thread to admit this but I loathe the Beatles. Just way to pop friendly for me to enjoy. Always been more of a Stones and Zeppelin fan myself.
Frequent Contributor
FantasyFan
0 Kudos

I actually saw the first 2 movies then started reading them. Order of the Phoenix had been released for month at that time so I got the read the books back to back for the first 5. At first I did not want to read them because I did not want to "give into the hype" then a friend talked me into it. I'm so glad I caved! Since then I have become this crazed fan even going to the mid night party. I felt like a kid at Christmas!