Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

The Deathly Hallows Part One!!!

Well, I have no idea what happened to the DH movie thread we had, so I'm making a new one!  I'm just to lazy to look for it :smileyvery-happy:.  So, whoever and whenever you guys see the movie, say what you think about it.  And as always, I'm sure a SPOILER Alert would be appreciated by some, especially those who have not read the books.  I won't get to comment until Monday :smileysad:.

Correspondent
BookLoverDT
0 Kudos

Re: The Deathly Hallows Part One!!!

Kat-NE wrote:

Well, I have no idea what happened to the DH movie thread we had, so I'm making a new one!  I'm just to lazy to look for it :smileyvery-happy:.  So, whoever and whenever you guys see the movie, say what you think about it.  And as always, I'm sure a SPOILER Alert would be appreciated by some, especially those who have not read the books.  I won't get to comment until Monday :smileysad:.

All I gotta say is..I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! I went to the midnight showing last night and I am happy I did. The movie plays VERY close to the book. The cinematography is AWESOME! I am not a big fan of 3-D but there are parts in this movie that would be great for 3-D. I will go and see this movie again on Saturday. This is the best movie to date :smileyhappy:

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."-Marie Curie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reader
JKAusten
0 Kudos

Great movie! seen it twice in 48 hours!!

All I can say is it was an awesome decision to make it two movies, I don't know how they would have fit it all into 1!!!

Dobby  :smileysad: even if you hadn't read the book.. you knew what was coming!! "Dobby will always be here to save Harry Potter"...

*she says with tears in her eyes....

Counting down to Part 2... what are the chances they'll do a marathon and run the 1st immediately prior to screening part 2?

Contributor
RissaMW
0 Kudos

I absolutely LOVED this movie! It is by far my favorite Harry Potter movie to date!  It was great to see them all as adults and not in the school.  I got teary eyed a few times too!

I will hopefully go see this again this weekend :smileyhappy:

A marathon showing would be good ONLY if they do it in the same theater...My sister in law did the Twilight showing before New Moon, came out to use the restroom and saw the huge line for New Moon and ended up leaving Twilight to get in line.

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...Pursue those
Contributor
61teewsa
0 Kudos

There is so much I want to say but I am too lazy to type it! I have to first thank a person named Kimberly who I met while in a freakishly long ling. Then she had the idea to switch theaters and paid for our tickets. There was no line at the other theater and we got perfect seats. As for the movie, I loved it. It was split in the perfect place. Had it ended with Dobbey's death it would have made me want to dye my hair black and part it to the side. If it ended with the snatchers it would have been a bad ending. I loved the wardrobe in this film. Hermione's clothing was just the right mix of girlie and I-am-camping-in-a-forest-running-for-my-life. The music added an interesting affect whether you heard the brass playing a dramatic scene or the woodwinds playing a soft, emotional song. Sorry if this doesn't flow right; I got three hours of sleep and have been unable to act "normal."

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed the movie. Spoilers below - please don't read if you haven't seen the movie yet...

• The dance scene with Harry and Hermione - one of my favorite scenes. They have truly grown into great actors. They own their roles.
  • Emma Watson had more much deserved screen time and she does not disappoint. Rarely in these movies do they add something that JK Rowling did not, or at least in my opinion, have in there. Emma's scene with her parents at the beginning made me cry. To obliviate your parents' memories would have been very traumatic for her. She gave that scene such a wonderful tender touch.
  • Ministry of Magic scene - specifically David O'Hara who plays Harry playing Runcorn - really nice. David O'Hara - What a cool actor whose voice usually steals whatever show he's doing, but Harry's voice was instead in its place so that we could tell it was polyjuice potion. I love O'Hara's voice (thick, Scottish brogue), but I understand.
  • Charity Burbage scene - Oh, so sad! If you didn't hate Voldemort yet, you will here. Sets the tone for the movie. Snape's look to Charity Burbage. Really great scene - captures weight and turmoil of his predicament.
  • Sad that most of my favorite humorous scenes they left out, but they had plenty of humor to lighten then tone. I did especially love the scene with Harry and Ginny when George sneaks up on them. I hope the Phelps twins continue acting. They make me laugh, and it looks effortless on their part.
  • Amazing cinematography! The camping scenes were beautiful!
  • Oh, Won-Won! I cannot say enough about him. I adore him and his acting. Does anyone else agree that anyone else in this part would just be wrong?!
  • Daniel Radcliffe - I disagreed with his interviews where he claimed his acting in HBP was too "samey", and that he was disappointed in himself. I've loved him in all the movies, and have felt that he only gets better. But boy oh boy does he top everything in this movie! He delivers such a poignant, funny, dramatic performance. He gets it.
  • I cannot hate Lucius and Draco. Lucius is amazingly handsome. I call him Luscious. And don't they truly look like father and son? I know it is the magic behind filmmaking, but sheesh they are really quite similar looking.
  • Dobby - teardrops

I have to see it again. I am not good in crowds of people because I hear everything, the ice in an otherwise empty cup, the hand riflng through the popcorn bag, the coughing and clearing of throats, etc. Ugh! I will find a time when the theatre is mostly empty and then just go and enjoy the movie.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

While I definitely agree that it was a fantastic movie, and I love EVERYTHING that Kreacher mentioned as well as a few other things.

• When the Snatchers came really close to Hermionie and they could smell her. I was wondering what was going to happen!
  • When Hermionie gave Harry a haircut :smileyhappy:
  • I think the actress who played Fleur in this movie did a great job, despite her small role, but I am a huge Gossip Girl fan, and I've liked her more ever since she was on that show
  • The actor they hired for Pius Thicknesse couldn't be more perfect
  • The scene when Ron left was really full of emotion. I thought it might not be, because I noticed that in the movies, they don't usually have the huge shouting matches that they do in the books.
  • They really humanized Voldemort and made him less abstract; he had far more dialogue in this movie. 
  • The way they potrayed the Tale of the Three Brothers was fantastic.
  • I liked the way that they chose to end it.

There were a few things, however, that I did not like.

• I did not really like Lupin's character in this movie.
  • I wished they'd showed the memory of when Voldemort killed Harry's parents after Godric's Hollow. One of the most revealing scenes to me!
  • I really wanted to see Peter Pettigrew's retribution!
  • I would've like to see more with the wedding.

But all in all, definitely the BEST movie of the year and possibly even the best movie of the franchise!

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

On another note Kreacher, it must be ingrained into all teachers to be able to hear everything! How they do it is beyond me.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:

On another note Kreacher, it must be ingrained into all teachers to be able to hear everything! How they do it is beyond me.

I think that only happened to me as a result of being a teacher. I do not rememver being like this before.

I so agreed with all of your comments. There was so much left to think about with this movie that I neglected to add comments about them, but I am so glad you reminded me of them. Yes, the scene for The Tale of the Three Brothers was soooooo good! It was mesmerizing. Thicknesse was perfectly cast. I was holding my breath when Hermione was face to face with the snatcher. Scary! One of the things I remember not liking was the chase scene - it was too jumpy and hard to follow. I didn't think they needed to do that, but I guess they do it to make the audience feel like they are there running from them as well.

And did anyone else giggle at Ron's indignation and subsequent backpeddle with the use of the term twilight over midnight? Part of me thought that it was a little bit of a dig at the Twilight franchise, but perhaps not. I laughed out loud at that though.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

One question before I go see it:

Did anyone stay behind to see if there was a scene after the credits?  If I remember right, there was a scene after CoS, but I can't remember if the others had one!

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Everyone left our theatre, including us, but that did cross my mind as a possibility. They should've done a teaser/preview for the final movie, but I figured we'll be bombarded with them early summer anyway, so I don't feel like I missed anything anyway.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I say this after every HP movie...but DHP1 is my favorite of them all!!!!  Here are some of the highlights:

• The music was so perfectly scored to the film, I leaned over just after the polyjuice wore off and told my husband that the score was simply amazing!
  • Dobby- I cried.  Yep, I'll admit it.  I cried. (But it was a great scene)
  • Hermoine and Harry's dance- what fantastic actors Emma and Daniel have become.  
  • Ron- scene stealer.
  • I love that in such a grim storyline there was so much humor.  Twilight vs. Midnight for example.
  • The cinematography is amazing.  It's beautifully filmed and the scenery perfectly fits the mood of the storyline.
One word to parents though...I would be careful taking the little kids.  There were a couple scenes that I think would be scary for them.  

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

I don't know where to start!  Wow!!

Best HP movie by like a thousand miles (a mile just doesn't do it justice)

I'm so happy they stayed so close to the book, although I'm sure that those who haven't read the books are going to be confused on some things.  Also, the new stuff they added seemed to fit fairly well.  I loved the dance and I don't know what people are talking about; I didn't feel anything like romance going on.  It was just so sweet. 

I also liked that they showed what everyone else was going through, not just Harry.  That opening sequence.  No words for it. 

Love that Harry got lines (actual sentences, Yay!), and Ron wasn't portrayed as an idiot and was given something to do. 

I don't know what else to say except, Poor Dobby! Poor Hedwig!  Teared up a few times there.  I'll probably have more after I see it again in a week!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Can any of you lucky folks who have seen the movie tell me if Kreacher was in it?  I had gotten the impression from the trailers that they might have merged Kreacher's story into one for Dobby instead.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:

Can any of you lucky folks who have seen the movie tell me if Kreacher was in it?  I had gotten the impression from the trailers that they might have merged Kreacher's story into one for Dobby instead.

Yes, Kreacher is in the movie.  That part kind of bothered me.  It was one of those "if you haven't read the books, you'll be confused" sections of the movie.  Plus, Dobby kind of stole all the glory.  Good to see Dobby, but kind of sucked for Kreacher.  Are you seeing it soon?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I don't know when I will get the chance to see it.  I prefer to see Harry Potter movies with a family member who is also a fan, but right now we are kind of focused on getting Thanksgiving underway and we haven't scheduled anything beyond that.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

After seeing it for a second time, I can safely say that it is still completely AWESOME!!

You know, its funny, I didn't notice anything new seeing it again.  Usually I notice something I didn't before.  Guess I was paying attention for once!

I have to say that my favorite part, overall, is when they are in the Ministry of Magic (Oh Ron).  Just the whole situation and how they shot it, totally awesome. 

And my favorite quote from the movie:

Ron:  "How long do you think she'll stay mad at me."

Harry:  "Just keep telling her about the light going through your heart, she'll come around" 

Or some variation on that!

Just...eight months now.  Let's not start counting yet.  Can't wait though!

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

Kat-NE wrote:

After seeing it for a second time, I can safely say that it is still completely AWESOME!!

And my favorite quote from the movie:

Ron:  "How long do you think she'll stay mad at me."

Harry:  "Just keep telling her about the light going through your heart, she'll come around" 

Or some variation on that!

Good call on the quote, Kat-NE!  My husband almost snorted his Cherry Coke right out of his nose at that line!  Of course, he used it the following week when we had a little disagreement.  It made me laugh so hard I couldn't stay annoyed with him!

Happy New Year!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Contributor
MrsRonaldWeasley22
0 Kudos

I competely agree jwith everything you said. Can I just share, tears fell the moment Hermione said, 'Obliviate'. I mean, I know I already read all of that in HP7, but seeing it 'happen', and seeing how the spell's effect is in 'real life' is... that seen was so sad. And yes, that stare from Snape from the Burbage scene just gave me the creeps, I swear. Allan Rickman is such a great actor. I love HP7.
Contributor
JMSluvsJRM
0 Kudos

I was very, very happy with the movie. After the huge flop that David Yates called The Half Blood Prince I really wasn't expecting to enjoy Deathly Hallows, but I loved it! I laughed, I cried, I cheered. It was great and he did a really good job of following the book this time. I hope part 2 doesn't let me down. Cannot wait for it to come out!

...And so the lion fell in love with the lamb. What a stupid lamb. What a sick, masochistic lion...