Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

The Epilogue--Love it or Hate it?

While we have one thread for the end of the book, the Epilogue itself is drawing much attention from readers of _Deathly Hallows_. Let's use this thread for focused discussion on the Epilogue specifically. Did you like this section of the novel? Dislike it? Were you indifferent, perhaps wondering why it was included? Tell us your thoughts!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: The Epilogue--Love it or Hate it?

Well, I think it was necessary, and that it was great. We learned about the main pairs' kids, we saw budding new relationships (friendships, I mean), and we saw some healed rifts (Harry and Ron don't hate Draco anymore, which gives all the children a fresh start). I liked the entire thing; I didn't feel that we were missing anything. She tied everything together in The Flaw in the Plan/Chapter 38, so this was more of a new beginning sort of thing.

*Waits for people to start complaining about unanswered questions* Well, what did everyone else think?
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
While we have one thread for the end of the book, the Epilogue itself is drawing much attention from readers of _Deathly Hallows_. Let's use this thread for focused discussion on the Epilogue specifically. Did you like this section of the novel? Dislike it? Were you indifferent, perhaps wondering why it was included? Tell us your thoughts!

I liked it, though like on the other boards agree , it still left out some things. His job, Luna, and other stuff. But I still liked it. I am SO glad he lived!!!!!!!!!!!! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Could wish to know about Luna, about how George is doing w/o Fred, about Hagrid-and-Mme-Maxime, abt whether Harry ever became an auror, and possibly more about Neville.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Hm...I'm neutral about Luna's absence, but I suppose she WAS a fairly new character, compared to Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Malfoy, and Neville...I liked that she left out most of the details; I'm not a fan of fanfiction, but she definitely left the rest of the group's lives pretty much wide open for speculation...I don't know if Harry would be an Auror, especially after all the crap he's gotten from the Ministry. He's probably taken on some sort of leadership role...I still think he, and probably the rest of the group, will, at some point(s) during their lives, take on jobs at Hogwarts. Didn't anyone realize that none of the teachers ever had children among the students? I don't know if it's allowed...so, I'm guessing that any teaching roles would have to wait...though, what does that say about Neville? Hm. All of the teachers were single, you know...I wonder why?
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I really liked the epilogue. It gave us a picture of the future and tied up loose ends. It was nice to see the couples together with their children, children following in their footsteps. I also enjoyed seeing that there was a more positive outcome for Draco than I had thought - family, children attending Hogwarts. It was a fitting end to the book.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

StoryMing wrote:
Could wish to know about Luna, about how George is doing w/o Fred, about Hagrid-and-Mme-Maxime, abt whether Harry ever became an auror, and possibly more about Neville.

As for George, I think he's doing fine...he's probably a much more sober person, though. He'll never lose his sense of humor...for some reason, I picture him as a teacher! WTF?

As for Hagrid/Mme. Maxime, that never struck me as a "real" relationship, though I'm sure that he got with someone...perhaps McGonagall?
New User
preyel
0 Kudos

she said that this was the end of the Harry Potter series. Who knows she might start a new series about Albus Severus Potter? I really hope she does!
New User
preyel
0 Kudos

I wonder who is the new headmaster or headmistress of Hogwarts
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

preyel wrote:
she said that this was the end of the Harry Potter series. Who knows she might start a new series about Albus Severus Potter? I really hope she does!

She also said "never say never" to another book. I think that it would be pretty good. I think she left some parts hanging, just in case she does want to go back.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

When she does do another book, it won't be a part of the Harry Potter sequence...

Seriously, what is Jo going to write next? I love Harry Potter, but I love Jo's writing as well! Even if it isn't part of the Harry Potter sequence, I'd love a new book from her...
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

Wonder if Draco's wife might be Pansy Parkinson?
I wonder, if Harry and Ginny ever had another son they might call him Sirius Remus?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

StoryMing wrote:
Wonder if Draco's wife might be Pansy Parkinson?

Oh, I hope not! She turned out to be one of the three most evil students in the school. If Draco married her, it would mean that he had learned nothing at all, I think, and that would be very sad.
Frequent Contributor
KTsMommy
0 Kudos

I like the idea of the epilogue, and I thought it was a nice little glimpse into the future. I thought some of it was a bit cheesier than the stuff Rowling usually writes, and I was disappointed that we didn't find out more about what Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione are actually DOING, but otherwise....Why Albus Severus and not Albus Sirius though?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Nah. The fact that Draco's wife is left unnamed is a good sign that she's someone we never met, and thus not mentionable in the Epilogue, where we only meet characters we know, and their children.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

I just felt that the Epilogue was so cheesy and fic-like. I can't say I liked it, but I don't hate it...

But I definitely want to know about George. I just want to know he's okay. Fred's death was the one that hit me the hardest, and I think it would have been nice to see that he'd gotten married and had a kid named Fred. It would have been worth getting through the rest of the sappy epilogue if we had just seen something about that.

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

I must say I was REALLY happy when i found out the child's name was Albus Severus. I was all like "What , Harry never forgave Sev?" and then he said he was one of the bravest men he'd met or something to that extent and it made me feel really proud of being on old Sev team the whole time. I think James' middle name is probably Sirus :smileyhappy:
Oh and as some of you know i LOVE fanfiction , and this little epilogue (although maybe unknowingly) was a beutiful gift from JK to fanfic authors :smileyhappy:
~*~it's the unknow we fear when we look upon death and darkness~*~
New User
o0Phoenix_Tears0o
0 Kudos

i personally loved the epilogue, but i still think that we were missing a little from it, i would of like to have heard more about what happend to the pther characters, like luna, and George, i would of like to heard about what happend to mr. and mrs.weasley, or who the head masterof hogwarts was. but i'm a little excited that she chose to leave it like that, it makes me wonder if she's thinking about another book. btw does anyone have any ideas about who ron and hermoines kids are named after?
No ending can be right, because it's not suppose to end. The magic's not supposed to stop.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I think it left a lot to be desired. It was too short, and felt way too much like a new beginning to me, which would be understandable if she is going to come back and write something more to it someday, but she does not plan to. (I know she said that she wouldn't say Never about it, but I am sure we can all agree that from what she has said, at this time she has no plans to do so?) There are a lot of unanswered questions here, and sorry, I don't read fanfic (Although if Patty writes hers I probably will).
As a side note, and yes this will probably get me Hate Mail, but Harry is not even remotely qualified to teach, sorry. Maybe DADA, but as he has said, it is mostly luck, and bravery. You have to remember, that Hermione has been doing his and Ron's homework for 6 years. I love Harry, but while he can do magic well, and yes, faced Voldemort, The Hogwart's Teachers are the Best of the Best, even Snape, who I hate, was a great potions maker, which we know from his potions book.

ConnieK wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Contributor
Emrys
0 Kudos

Even though I was sad we lost Remus, Tonks, Fred, Mad-eye and Doby, I was thrilled with the happily ever after ending. I think the epilogue was a wonderful and necessary way to end the saga of Harry Potter and friends!
There is no greater entertainment than a good book! ~ Emrys