Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Re: The Epilogue--Love it or Hate it?

StoryMing wrote:
Wonder if Draco's wife might be Pansy Parkinson?
I wonder, if Harry and Ginny ever had another son they might call him Sirius Remus?

I have a strange feeling Harry might name James, James Sirius Potter.
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
snapessister
0 Kudos

RiftDoggy wrote:
He's probably taken on some sort of leadership role...I still think he, and probably the rest of the group, will, at some point(s) during their lives, take on jobs at Hogwarts. Didn't anyone realize that none of the teachers ever had children among the students? I don't know if it's allowed...so, I'm guessing that any teaching roles would have to wait...though, what does that say about Neville? Hm. All of the teachers were single, you know...I wonder why?

I think I remember reading somewhere that JK said that some of the teacher's at Hogwarts are married, if they have children they may all be grown. I'll have to find that quote.

Hey, I could see Prof. Sprout, as a grandmother!!
Frequent Contributor
snapessister
0 Kudos

KTsMommy wrote:
I like the idea of the epilogue, and I thought it was a nice little glimpse into the future. I thought some of it was a bit cheesier than the stuff Rowling usually writes, and I was disappointed that we didn't find out more about what Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione are actually DOING, but otherwise....Why Albus Severus and not Albus Sirius though?

Harry said it: "he was the bravest man I ever knew" or something like that. I also think he wanted to pay homage to the man who sacrificed much of his life to protecting his family, despite the fact that he was never really loved by Lily. Now that is sacrifice.

Everyone in this book seems to have a middle name: Ronald Billius, Hermione Jean. I'm betting that his older son James already had that name....James Sirius Potter.
(any speculation as to young Lily's middle name)
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

No major complaints about the epilogue here. Lots of rich stuff going on. Teddy Lupin kissing someone; Draco nodding curtly; Ron teasing the kids; Harry's kid worring about being in Slytherin, which brings the thing in full circle; I appreciate these rich details more than knowing what happened with Luna or George, or etc.

I think we can fill in the gaps with our imaginations. There's all kinds of things they could be doing. Harry goes on to play quiddich, learns he inherited enough money from Sirius and his dad to retire; enjoys the good life his family... Ron maybe gets a nice ministry job or something and fixes up Muggle cars with his dad ... Ginny and Hermione engaging in the joys of motherhood...
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

im a bit neutral about the epilogue. i LOVED the stuff that was in it, but i cant help but want more, and thats what i dont like. but then if everything was resolved and there wasnt questions still to be answered it wouldnt be such a great book and series would it?
Julie
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, she couldn't tell us EVERYTHING that happens after DH, could she, without just...going on with Albus and James and Lily and everyone else. We'd have to just...keep going.
Frequent Contributor
lrdieter
0 Kudos

I thought it was great. We got to see that they all managed to grow up and have families of their own. I love the part about Ron getting a muggle driving license. LOL. I would have liked to hear about who was headmaster at hogwarts or what their professions were but I didn't need it. We got the basics...They survived and all found love and happiness. The world is safe for their children because they all fought against LV. JK knows what she's doing, I really liked the Epilogue! THe only thing I was really dissappointed about not seeing at the end was Kreacher. I wonder if he stayed Harry's houself. Do you think him and Ginny stayed in number 12 grimwauld place? I thought kreacher was great in this book! He made me laugh when he hit mundungus with a frying pan!
The end is almost here.... Long Live Harry and the Gang!!!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I was awaiting Kreacher's transformation in this book, and seeing him go from "Kreacher wishes the Mudblood wouldn't speak to him, yes he does" to "Fight for Master, defender of House-Elves!", or something along those lines, was very gratifying..
Contributor
MechaBeast
0 Kudos

If this book did need a epilogue, i'd rather it take place 1-2 years after the last chapter. The scene on 9 3/4 was so happy fluffy clouds that it doesnt seem to flow with the rest of the book. Someone on the boards compared it to 15yr old girl fan-fiction and Id have to agree. Everyones happy, everyones married everyone has happy innocent children. This epilogue seems more fit to a younger age group than even the SS. I wouldve preffered to read on for a couple days or weeks after the final battle and let me write (in my head) what happens 19 years later.
Harry Potter is like crack to me. Man, do I LOVE crack.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

What's so bad about a Happy Ending? Harry went through Hell to conquer Voldemort, he and his compatriots earned the Epilogue.
Contributor
MechaBeast
0 Kudos

RiftDoggy wrote:
What's so bad about a Happy Ending? Harry went through Hell to conquer Voldemort, he and his compatriots earned the Epilogue.

Nothings wrong with a happy ending. My issue is we go from DEATH, DEATH, EXPLOSION, DEATH, BITCH, NEAR MISS, DEATH to sunny days and new born puppies in no time flat. I feel that if we are going to end it on an epilogue that the reader needs more time to morne than everyone naming their kids after a notable character.
Harry Potter is like crack to me. Man, do I LOVE crack.
Contributor
Gloria40something
0 Kudos

JLW352 wrote:
I enjoyed the epilogue for what it did accomplish - it gave the reader proof that Harry did finally get the peaceful, normal existence that he has craved for so long. My disappointment with the epilogue is that it failed to resolve any of the "bigger picture" issues at hand. Rowling depicted the wizarding world as a place that had social injustice in spades. The house elves are enslaved; centaurs, goblins, and merpeople are mistreated; the Ministry is a corrupt bureaucracy whose policies are based on fear and the opinions of whoever has the deepest pockets. Rowling did her best to address these issues within the plot of Deathly Hallows, but I had really hoped that the epilogue would show us what steps the ww has taken toward change. It would be nice to know that the world Harry saved has proven that itself worthy of the sacrifice that he was willing to make for it.

Good point. But I'm wondering if JKR left many unanswered questions in the end, because life is always a work in progress. In our world, it will never be perfect, there will always be injustice.

I found the ending delightful. But my question is: Did Ginny have any say in the naming of her children? Wouldn't she want a daughter named Molly Minerva?

I especially liked that he named (Harry did) his son after snape. It really showed how far Harry had come: from blaming snape for sirius' death, to forgiving him & seeing him as a protector. I predicted this book would show forgiveness, the highest form of love, and how it triumphs over evil.
Author
DavidC
0 Kudos

I liked the difference from the endings of the earlier books, which left Harry feeling isolated because of his unique experiences. At the end of Order of the Phoenix, for instance, there's a line that goes, "An invisible barrier separated him from the rest of the world."

That's a fairly common ending in heroic tales. Joseph Campbell writes about it in "The Hero With a Thousand Faces." It could have been the ending here, too. Instead it was nice to see Harry connected to so many people.
Contributor
Harry_Potter_Fan123
0 Kudos

I think that it would have been nice to have had a little bit of action in the end but over all it was okay i still got a little confused as too whos was whos child it didn't really suprised me as to who married who but i would have liked to figure out who Malfoy Married.
Kay the Pk
BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

I confess to a similar feeling. I appreciate the gesture (as David says above) of inclusion, of showing Harry at last fully part of the community.

But it was too narrowly focused on domestic happiness for me...of course, it's absolutely appropriate that an older Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron would take pleasure in their children; and it's certainly illuminating to hear about their namesakes -- this does indeed tell us much about the way in which Harry has come to understand and accept Severus's journey, and Dumbledore's as well.

But I'm left wondering about the issues that JLW352 mentions; after such a vital and divisive conflict in the Wizarding world, surely a great deal of healing must have been undertaken. What happened to all the people (Umbridge, say) who seem to have signed on to the dreadful Nazi-like programme enforced by the Voldemort-controlled ministry? They weren't all under the Imperius curse!

As well, there are the broader destinies of the now-grown young people. That last is such a deliberate-seeming omission (given that career ambitions specifically came up time and again in the earlier books) that I found myself wanting to know exactly why JKR decided not to share it.

JLW352 wrote:
I enjoyed the epilogue for what it did accomplish - it gave the reader proof that Harry did finally get the peaceful, normal existence that he has craved for so long. My disappointment with the epilogue is that it failed to resolve any of the "bigger picture" issues at hand. Rowling depicted the wizarding world as a place that had social injustice in spades. The house elves are enslaved; centaurs, goblins, and merpeople are mistreated; the Ministry is a corrupt bureaucracy whose policies are based on fear and the opinions of whoever has the deepest pockets. Rowling did her best to address these issues within the plot of Deathly Hallows, but I had really hoped that the epilogue would show us what steps the ww has taken toward change. It would be nice to know that the world Harry saved has proven that itself worthy of the sacrifice that he was willing to make for it.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Author
DavidC
0 Kudos

LitEditor wrote: ...As well, there are the broader destinies of the now-grown young people. That last is such a deliberate-seeming omission (given that career ambitions specifically came up time and again in the earlier books) that I found myself wanting to know exactly why JKR decided not to share it.

Yes, there was a lot of worry about this in early books, and it would have been nice to learn more.

Maybe the lack of detail is related to when the chapter was written? If the final version is a lot like the original she wrote all those years ago, then she essentially wrote it before a lot of details were ever imagined. I'm just guessing here. Connie may know more about this.
New User
MikeGTWI
0 Kudos

The Epilouge is great because it is set 19 years later if Mechabeast thinks it to fast a switch he should read it again people have had plenty of time to mourne Fred,Lupin,Tonks, Made Eye, and Hedwig and the epilouge sets up future books

Albus Sevurus Potter
ROCKS
New User
MikeGTWI
0 Kudos

Re: Overall Views on the Book

Many Threads have been devoted to individual parts of the book please create a thread explain what you thought of the book as a whole (; (;
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

RiftDoggy wrote:

I don't mind a happy ending at all. It was what I wanted for Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, etc. But why not for the adults? They went through hell also. Maybe it's because I've always been more of a fan of the adults in this series, but why couldn't Lupin and Tonks have a happy ending, raising their son? Why not let Snape have some happiness for once in his life? Sirius? The list goes on...

What about the occupations of the characters? Hermione? Harry? Ron? Is that all to be left up to our imagination? Seems like it. Personally, I would have loved just a little more information on some of the other characters and not just the handful we saw. And yet, the Epilogue is at the bottom list of my complaints, as far as the book is concerned.
Reader
bookworm1125
0 Kudos

I really loved the epilogue. I think that I would have been a little upset if I didn't know at least what happened to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I wish that there would have been more about the other characters but I suppose that could be a whole book in itself. I suppose there has to be an ending somewhere even if we what it to keep going. I was glad to see that Harry and Ginny were happy in the end with children of there own. I also knew that Ron and Hermione had to be together in the end and their children were friends. I thought that was great. I think it would be great if she did a new series about little Albus Severus.