Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Jas
Contributor
Jas
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7



xradicalxmorganx wrote:
Could Ginny possibly be a horcrux? Because, V had her alone for a long time in the second book (HP and the COS.) Also, Ginny put alot of herself in V in the journal, and V put himself in her.




I thinkn that is highly unlikely given that the JOURNAL itself was a horcrux it would most likely not be able to create one.
Jas
Contributor
Jas
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7



harry_rox wrote:
no it is definitely impossible that Harrt is a horcrux. and the subject of Harry's other heritage has sparked my interest too....what about the rest of his family that has not been mentioned? Except in the first book with that mirror, in which he sees all of his family, but that subject is not pursued.




I think that James was likely the last of his line (save Harry obviously) and that after his passing the are no Potter's left. If you recall everyone in the mirror except Lily and James was very old. Also notice that although Sirius mentions going to the Potter house, and we see glimpses of James's school days there is never any mention of siblings (aunts/uncles to Harry).
Jas
Contributor
Jas
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7


rstenquist wrote:
......
4. Harry obviously can't kill Voldemort by using one of the Unforgiveable Curses. All his attempts at using them have failed, and even Snape told him he couldn't use him (Snape's still teaching). So, Harry has to find another way of 'vanquishing' the Dark Lord. Perhaps . . . . . it'll be through the curtain? Who knows. I've heard a theory that perhaps Voldemort would be kissed by a dementor. That would work too. I can't wait to find out how he's vanquished!





A dementor's kiss would not kill Voldemort, it would only suck out that one fragment of his soul that remains within him so the one of the remaining horcruxes would save him although he would be weaker...
Contributor
Lady_shay
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

Harry can not be a Horcrux Voldemort is not dumb. He would not make the mistake of making Harry into a Horcrux it wasn't his intention to do that. He went there to kill Harry so it makes no sense to me how the spells can somehow transfer. Voldemort himself did not know why Harry had survived he didn't know until Harry told him. Also why would he keep trying to kill harry if he made Harry a horcrux? He made them because he is scared of death.


Snape is baddd!!! He not only treated people like trash he killed dumbledore. Dumbledore may sacrifice himself for Harry but I doubt very seriously if he would for Snape. When Dumbldore and Draco were in the tower on their own Draco tried to tell Dumbledore that Snape and his mother had made the Unbreakable Vow. Dumbledore didn't believe him. Snape left with the death eaters he didn't stay with the others. Not only that but Harry witnessed the whole thing why would dumbledore want Snape to kill him Knowing that Harry was right there to witness it all. Who in the Order will trust Snape he is now the most wanted man in the Wizarding community besides Voldemort. He'll probably be killed on the spot.
Contributor
Auzy41592
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

Because my friend does not have an account on here. I will speak of her theories. Harry is related to Godric Gryffindor and Draco is related to Salazar Slytherin. Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor are related. I can't remember which book but one of them said that Salazar left Hogwarts because of some big thing that happened. I think it was a family thing between Salazar and Godric are related to each other. Which means Draco and Harry are related. And when Harry and Ron took the potion and turned into Crabbe and Goyle, Draco said that there are just some parts of their family they just don't talk about. Hence the Potters. It's a possibilty. And I personally am in love with Draco and I think that he will come around at some point. Because if you think about it, he couldn't kill Dumbledore meaning he didn't really want to follow Voldemort's orders. He just had to fulfill his family heritage. And Snape is evil. And my arguement ends there.
~Alaska Girls Kick Butt~
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

Anyone out there that says Harry can't be the Heir of Gryffindor, I wonder, is that really true. Here is the Leaky Cauldron interview that I found that 'seems' to say he's not the heir of Gryffindor, but there is room for a loop hole in my opinion, so if there is another place that Rowling clearly indicates that Harry is not the Heir of Gryffindor, please let me know. I mean, is Rowling saying "HARRY IS NOT THE HEIR" or is the person asking the question not asking the right question? I mean, they should have asked 'Is harry the heir of Gryffindor?'. So many of these questions are so vague its almost as if the questioner is purposly avoiding asking blunt questions that would solve things once and for all. Anyway, here is the quote:

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.

JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah.

Is this a loop hole?



Auzy41592 wrote:
Because my friend does not have an account on here. I will speak of her theories. Harry is related to Godric Gryffindor and Draco is related to Salazar Slytherin. Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor are related. I can't remember which book but one of them said that Salazar left Hogwarts because of some big thing that happened. I think it was a family thing between Salazar and Godric are related to each other. Which means Draco and Harry are related. And when Harry and Ron took the potion and turned into Crabbe and Goyle, Draco said that there are just some parts of their family they just don't talk about. Hence the Potters. It's a possibilty. And I personally am in love with Draco and I think that he will come around at some point. Because if you think about it, he couldn't kill Dumbledore meaning he didn't really want to follow Voldemort's orders. He just had to fulfill his family heritage. And Snape is evil. And my arguement ends there.


tvk
New User
tvk
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7



rstenquist wrote:
...
3. Snape isn't all bad. One of the last things he yells at Harry as he's running away is to "keep your mind closed" or something like that. Snape was still trying to teach Harry. Why would he be teaching Harry if he wanted to destroy him? I think Snape will die, though. He should die in order to save Harry or kill Voldemort.


I believe that JKR has been setting up Snape's motivation for saving Harry and his last words by emphasizing how much Harry resembles Lily. My prediction of the ending: in reply to Harry's question to the dying professor Snape of why he has sacrificed his life to save Harry, Snape will reveal his love for Lily with his reply of "Because you have your mother's eyes..."

JKR throughout has emphasized the redemptive power of love. Lily's love for Harry saved him from Voldemort the first time; Snape's love for Lily will save Harry in the end.
Contributor
rstenquist
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

Sorry. The objections to the dememtor's kiss. I know I shouldn't go into it because it's just a theory, and it doesn't matter all that much, but I just wanted to clear it up. It would work. If all of the Horcruxes were destroyed, and the last part of Voldemort's soul was sucked out of his body, how would that not work? Sure, his body would still be alive. He would not be DEAD. But where does it say he needs to die? In the prophesy which JKR carefully worded, it says he needs to be VANQUISHED. Sorry. Just had to clear that up.
New User
Kilimac
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

1) Harry can't be a Horcrux because it said "neither can LIVE while the other survives". ie: Voldemort won't be satisfied until Harry is dead, and vice versa. It, however, didn't say "neither can DIE while the other survives". ie: Voldemort can't die without Harry dying first.

2) R.A.B. is most definitely Regulus Black. J.K. Rowling brought him up twice in the fifth book, and four times in the sixth book. She's a talented author and wouldn't bother wasting her pages up with a character who's not going to prove important. Besides, in the 5th book, Sirius was telling Harry that his brother died fifteen years ago (ie: the year harry was born) and that he was a Death Eater, but tried to back out (leading to his murder).

3) Ron is most likely going to die. In an interview, J.K. Rowling said that a member of the Weasley family is going to die. In another, she said either Ron or Hermione dies. There would be no point in killing off Hermione. Ron is probably one of the most liked characters in the entire series. If she kills him off, everyone will be sad, but honestly. Can you see the series ending any other way? She's mental if she doesn't kill off the favorite character.

4) Dumbledore is dead. As in he's not coming back, dead. However, J.K. Rowling has said that Dumbledore is DEFINITELY dead, but talks to Harry in the 7th book. I'm assuming he gets a portrait on the wall, like all of the other dead headmasters of Hogwarts.

5) Sirius is going to make a re-entrance in the 7th book. I'm not saying he's not dead, but I'm thinking that 2-way mirror is going to come into play somehow.

6) Snape is good. I mean, he's an ass, but he was following Dumbledore's orders when he killed the headmaster. I think there's significance in his "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!" spiel that he was yelling at Harry. Hmm. We'll see.
Contributor
Auzy41592
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

I agree with the Dumbledore thing. I think that there will be communications through Dumbledore and Harry wither through the pensieve so that maybe some of Dumbledore's memories can help Harry in some way or via the headmaster's pictures. But then he'd have to convince McGonnagal to let him see Dumbledore all the time. But also how is Harry going to contact Dumbledore when he's on the road trying to find the horcruxes. I think that there also might be a possibility the not only will Ron and Hermione accompany Harry but so will Ginny, Neville, and Luna. Because obviously Luna is a big character in the series or JKR wouldn't have mentioned her. And they did also help Harry with destroying the proficy.
~Alaska Girls Kick Butt~
Contributor
Auzy41592
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7



PattyBNUChick wrote:
Anyone out there that says Harry can't be the Heir of Gryffindor, I wonder, is that really true. Here is the Leaky Cauldron interview that I found that 'seems' to say he's not the heir of Gryffindor, but there is room for a loop hole in my opinion, so if there is another place that Rowling clearly indicates that Harry is not the Heir of Gryffindor, please let me know. I mean, is Rowling saying "HARRY IS NOT THE HEIR" or is the person asking the question not asking the right question? I mean, they should have asked 'Is harry the heir of Gryffindor?'. So many of these questions are so vague its almost as if the questioner is purposly avoiding asking blunt questions that would solve things once and for all. Anyway, here is the quote:

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.

JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah.

Is this a loop hole?



Auzy41592 wrote:
Because my friend does not have an account on here. I will speak of her theories. Harry is related to Godric Gryffindor and Draco is related to Salazar Slytherin. Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor are related. I can't remember which book but one of them said that Salazar left Hogwarts because of some big thing that happened. I think it was a family thing between Salazar and Godric are related to each other. Which means Draco and Harry are related. And when Harry and Ron took the potion and turned into Crabbe and Goyle, Draco said that there are just some parts of their family they just don't talk about. Hence the Potters. It's a possibilty. And I personally am in love with Draco and I think that he will come around at some point. Because if you think about it, he couldn't kill Dumbledore meaning he didn't really want to follow Voldemort's orders. He just had to fulfill his family heritage. And Snape is evil. And my arguement ends there.





Yeah, I think that this might be a loop hole. Because as you've shown here, JKR didn't directly answer the question, which might leave some people confused. I still think there is a slight possibility, but as you've shown there's the possibility that he's not.
~Alaska Girls Kick Butt~
Frequent Contributor
amm1
Posts: 702
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7


Auzy41592 wrote:
I think that there also might be a possibility the not only will Ron and Hermione accompany Harry but so will Ginny, Neville, and Luna. Because obviously Luna is a big character in the series or JKR wouldn't have mentioned her. And they did also help Harry with destroying the proficy.




You are right to a certain extent. Somewhere along the way a person from each house will be with the Gryffindor trio but hopefully not at the beginning. I believe JKR made that clear at the end of HBP. These stories have always been focused around the trio and it needs to remain that way for most of DH. This is what I'd personally like to see. Though I like Luna and the other characters, I don't want to see her or Ginny with the trio throughout the whole book. Let's stick to Ron, Hermione and Harry. I think you can see this will be the case by looking at the book covers.
Contributor
Auzy41592
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7



amm1 wrote:

Auzy41592 wrote:
I think that there also might be a possibility the not only will Ron and Hermione accompany Harry but so will Ginny, Neville, and Luna. Because obviously Luna is a big character in the series or JKR wouldn't have mentioned her. And they did also help Harry with destroying the proficy.




You are right to a certain extent. Somewhere along the way a person from each house will be with the Gryffindor trio but hopefully not at the beginning. I believe JKR made that clear at the end of HBP. These stories have always been focused around the trio and it needs to remain that way for most of DH. This is what I'd personally like to see. Though I like Luna and the other characters, I don't want to see her or Ginny with the trio throughout the whole book. Let's stick to Ron, Hermione and Harry. I think you can see this will be the case by looking at the book covers.


Yes but as you said with someone from each house, who would be from Slytherin? Everyone from that house hates Harry.
~Alaska Girls Kick Butt~
Frequent Contributor
killercactus
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

1) Harry's scar is a Horcrux, or maybe his head, but not Harry "himself."

2) Snape is working for Dumbledore, but still not a very nice guy.

3) McGonagall is a Death Eater - Voldy's best kept secret. She may not even have a Dark Mark

4) The obstacles guarding the Horcruxes will be very similar to the obstacles guarding the Sorcerers Stone. Each obstacle will correspond with a Stone obstacle, specifically corresponging by Hogwarts Founder if applicable. Three have already....

5) Ron got the reprieve, but he will still attempt to sacrifice himself.

6) Someone with the last name "Longbottom" knows something vitally important that we do not know as of yet. Possibly what went on at Godric's.

7) I vote Pomona Sprout for Headmistress of Hogwarts after the war. Neville can take over the Herbology post.

8) Viktor Krum will bless Ron and Hermoine's relationship.

9) Dementors have a large part to play as of yet.
Frequent Contributor
mdd9192
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎06-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

[ Edited ]
I'm almost completely sure that harry is not a Horcrux Because someone else on a other post said that part of LV soul could not make in Harry because he can love. And Thats what DD said when LV tried to possess him. But anyways this is my theory.
1) Snape is innocent. DD begged SS to take his life.
2) Wormtail will repay his dept to Harry.
3) Fleur's wedding will be interupted by a Death Eater ambush.
4) (I think) Harry will learn to be an amigus or whatever. Maybe a Pheonix
5) A few Weasly will die and maybe Hermione.
6) Ron& Hermione will get together.
7) Harry won't be able to stay away from Ginny.
8) Harry will defeat LV but in doing so.
9) And we will find out that there are more Death Eaters at Hogwarts than we thought *cough* McGonagall *cough*

And I think that Neville might be the Heir of Gryfindor. Just think about it.

Message Edited by mdd9192 on 06-18-2007 02:24 PM
I wonder why I did...
Frequent Contributor
LLB17
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎06-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

i agree with the first one. thats what snape and dumbledore were arguing about in the forrest when hagrid saw them. snape didnt want to kill dumbledore but dumbledore didnt want malfoy to die.
i think wormtail will get killed by voldemort but he wont save anybody because he is a coward.
and mcgonagall is notttt a death eater. thats crazyyyy
Contributor
Auzy41592
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

Yeah the whole McGonnagal is a death eater. Not gonna happen. And McGonnagal is going to be headmistress next. Why would professer Sprout? She has almost no role in the story. And how could Neville take the position over when he hasn't even graduated Hogwarts?
~Alaska Girls Kick Butt~
Frequent Contributor
Reven
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎02-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

Just a few 'little' things that I firmly believe will happen in Deathly Hallows: (because I can't not do an introduction)

a) Debts only mean something to people with a sense of honor (pride) or duty. Being indebted to someone, even someone who saved your life, means nothing, or next to nothing, to a pathetic little rat whose cowardice is only shadowed by his lust for power. That being said, Peter "Wormtail" Petigrew is probably not going to save Harry's life a la Wormtoungue. In my opinion, it isn't in his character.

b) While splitting your soul is inevitable when you commit murder, horcruxes are not. It takes a special dark spell to encase a piece of your soul in something else. We know that Voldemort was aiming to KILL Harry, not make him a vessel for his immortality. Thus Harry is not an aforementioned vessel.

c) According to Jo, one character who was up on the chopping block got real lucky, but two characters were really unlucky and are going to die. These are two more characters that are going to die IN ADDITION TO whomever else was going to kick the bucket. Ginny is going to die. Whether or not she's one of those that weren't supposed to do so. If I were Voldemort and I got wind of a blossoming relationship between Potter and some chick, I would go after her like... like a rabid Potter fanatic after the seventh book... no an interview with JKR herself. Because, after all, Ginny isn't the one that is apparently indestructible and undying.

d) I was reading an old interview in which Jo expressed dismay at the amount of love readers displayed towards Draco Malfoy. (Well, you did say he was redeemable and love can redeem people...) I am one of those. I think Draco is going to end up in a meeting with Harry, possibly after The Evil One kills his father (who deserves what he gets and it's been a long time coming), and Harry, knowing Draco didn't want to kill Dumbledore and couldn't and wasn't going to, will strech out his hand to help him. 'Cause Harry's a good guy, the good guy. Thus, going back to debt and honor, Draco will join Harry against His Slithery-ness, and somehow live. (Sure it's wishful thinking, but you can't always be pratical.)
________ Life is shades of gray. ________
Contributor
rstenquist
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

-Sadly, I kind of think Ron may die too. Sad, I know. It would be terrible for Hermione, but maybe after Ron dies Hermione will get together with Krum again? I think Krum will somehow be in the last book.
-I like the whole idea of Harry being the Heir to Gryffindor. It would make sense, wouldn't it? I mean, Gryffindor and Slytherin got in a big fight, and now the Heir of Gryffindor and Heir of Slytherin are duking it out. Maybe Harry and Voldemort (if Harry is the heir), are really just finishing the ancient fight the original two founders of Hogwarts started. . .
-Personally, I think the idea of McGonagall being a Death Eater is ridiculous.
-Wormtail has to repay his debt to Harry. True, he's not honorable in any way, and if he had a choice in the matter, he wouldn't help Harry. But, we're talking about magic here. It seems like Wormtail somehow has a binding contract to Harry, whether he likes it or not. Wormtail will have to protect Harry because Harry saved his life, kind of like how Harry was protected by his mother's sacrifice.
Contributor
Auzy41592
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Theories for HP7

Now that I think about it, Wormtail does have a debt to pay to Harry. He was afterall Moony, Prongs, and Padfoot's best friend. And Harry being James' son he probably feels that he does owe something. Good theories guys.
~Alaska Girls Kick Butt~