Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
BelmontGuy06
0 Kudos

Re: There Will Soon Be 7... Question #5

[ Edited ]
I COMPLETELY AGREE MOMSHOF...now that I see the reasoning. Harry once being a horcrux but not anymore makes total sense. And the sudden ripping of a piece of someone's soul from inside you could have left Harry vulnerable to everything that happened in OOTP. Residual soul? Amazing.

Message Edited by BelmontGuy06 on 06-15-2007 09:49 AM
New User
maiuch94
0 Kudos

Nagini is the big snake Voldemort has with him.
-*((Maii))*-
New User
Gabby_070994
0 Kudos

BeccaRae wrote:
Hey...I'd never really thought of the graveyard idea...
But here's another consideration:
Call me morbid, but do you think JK Rowling was speaking literally when she said that it's important that Harry "has his mother's eyes?"
Could that have some connection?

Well... maybe the eyes are something that can help Harry become visible to the muggle world, not only physically, but mentally. I'm just guessing.
New User
genlin
0 Kudos

Perhaps Harry himself is not the horcrux but his scar is. Maybe it hurts Harry when Voldemort is near because it wants to get back to him. Could the scar be destroyed without destroying Harry?
Frequent Contributor
ProfeJanet
0 Kudos

I'm not altogether convinced that Harry is a horcrux, although I find it a fascinating possibility.
So, if he IS a horcrux, I don't believe it was an inadvertent one. It is purportedly a powerful bit of dark magic. But, it might give another reason why Voldemort is continually seeking him.

However, as I write this, I convince myself again that Harry is not likely a horcrux. Voldemort, until GoF, was not able to touch Harry and even in OotP he was unable to share Harry's body. It does not seem plausible to me that V cannot share the body where a piece of his soul must be. Additionally, Lily's love protection would surely have rejected V's soul from entering Harry's body.

In GoF, V was alive, so therefore would not have needed the bit of soul in the theorized Harry. He simply needed a body form.

My question, then is this: When V's spell backfired on him, did it actually kill him? And if so, was it that point a horcrux was released? How else would V be able to access these horcruxes unless they release upon one of his deaths? If this did happen, which horcrux was it? Thoughts?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

When the spell backfired, it 'killed' Voldemort, so his body 'died', but his soul remained alive (he was less than the meanest ghost). The horcruxes kept his soul intact, so he was basically I think just soul at that point. As long as one horcrux remains, Voldemort IMO could be killed over and over and over but as long as he can use the 'rebirthing' spell, he will still survive. I think Dkrupp? mentioned the other day, that possibly you can't go through the veil (ie really die) until all your soul pieces are destroyed. I'm paraphrasing badly, but I think thats what she was saying.

ProfeJanet wrote:
My question, then is this: When V's spell backfired on him, did it actually kill him? And if so, was it that point a horcrux was released? How else would V be able to access these horcruxes unless they release upon one of his deaths? If this did happen, which horcrux was it? Thoughts?

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

I do think this is certainly a major question of the series, and must admit that early on in these boards, trying to follow horcrux ideas started little wisps of smoke curling from my ears. And Harry as a horcrux? It will certainly be one of the reasons I'll feel some urgency about reading the last one!
Frequent Contributor
Wolfychan
0 Kudos

OMG! This is so exciting, I just on an another forem was taking about this. . . ekkkk 0.o.

Yes, I believe it's a possibility for several reasons:

1. Voldomort is looking for places to put his precious sole pieces, and (according to Dumbledoor's theory) Tom wants to have a relic of each Hogwarts house, the ring was Slytherin, and Hufflepuff and Rawenclaws were the cup and trophy(or whatever it was, mentioned in HBP) so this leaves Griffendoor. It mentioned earlier in the series that Harry's parents lived at Godric's Hallow, (a.k.a a small factor with a big imporance)Why is it called Godric's Hallow? My theory stands that is was Godric Gifffendoor's house and Lilly or James are his eres. So this leaves Harry as Griffendoor's ere. And for the major battle Giffendoor vs. Slytherin. When Voldomort killed Harry's parents he then has the power to make a horcrux, (although it is also possible that he already had his 7, so Harry could be the last or an accendital one.)

2. Harry and Voldie have a lot in common- Parsletounge, sharing the same mind(the dreams and stuff), lonely childhood, Harry was going to be a Slytherin but; chose another way, half-bloods, and their wand-brothers

3. It would be a good plot twister
"Some men are born great, some men achive greatness, and some men have greatness thrust upon them" (William Shakespeare).
tvk
New User
tvk
0 Kudos

I believe that JKR has been setting up Snape's last words. In reply to Harry's question to the dying professor Snape of why has sacrificed his life to save Harry, Snape will reveal his love for Lily in his reply of "Because you have your mother's eyes..."
New User
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
0 Kudos

In which Harry Potter book does it say that when cleaning out
grimmauld place they find a locket. And what chapter and page is it on if you know please tell me.
New User
luiensz
0 Kudos

Harry can't be a Horcruxe people, Vol. tried to kill Harry in the fourth book, if he was a Horcruxe then Why does V want to destroy a part of his soul. Vol. is a very powerful wizar if he made Harry a Horcruxe Intensially he should have known. Harry can't be a Horcruxe it dosen't make any sense.
Frequent Contributor
Wolfychan
0 Kudos

Just a though. Maybe Voldie doesn't know that Harry is one, if he is a horcrux.
"Some men are born great, some men achive greatness, and some men have greatness thrust upon them" (William Shakespeare).
Frequent Contributor
mdd9192
0 Kudos

I don't think that Voldemort would make Harry a Horcrux nor his wand. Because harry could die (get hit by a car?) and part of his soul would be lost (I guess). The same goes with the snake (Head chopped off?) As for his wand he still has it because in GOF the prior intcantatem and I think that ollivander made him a new one thats why he kiddnapped him. Put that brings up the wand chooses the wizard thing. But anyways here is my suggestions:
1) ring: destroyed
2) diary: destroyed
3) locket: Riddle house/Mundungus/R.A.B.?
4) cup: Burgins and Burkes/fat ladies house?
5) something of Ravenclaws?: Orphanage
6) ???: riddle house/lake at hogwarts?
I wonder why I did...
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I find it in Order of the Phoenix, chapter six--page 116 for me, toward the bottom of the page. Hope that helps!

Rachel

(Sorry that I can't go back and quote the post. This is in response to He Who Must Not B, asking where to locate the locket Harry found at Sirius' house.)

Message Edited by rkubie on 06-17-2007 11:33 PM
New User
vegheadHPfan
0 Kudos

wat is the last horcrux?

harry?
fawkes?
nagini?
New User
ya9ayox
0 Kudos

I think the final Horcruxes is Harry's scar. That's the big one at least. And on the far fetching/ creative side Voldemort wasn't trying to kill Harry when he killed his parents he was planning ahead to the day when Harry would want to kill Voldemort and in doing so he would have to take his own life. I also think the reason why Dumbledore trusted Snape is because Snape was working on a way to remove the scar form Harry and place it on himself or Voldemort whichever is possible. (Referencing in the first book an others after Snape's abilities to read the minds of everyone around him.) Observation: Voldemort, I don't believe, knows that Harry can see into what he's doing. If he did he would have a much higher control over Harry and I don't think he would know unless someone told him (all the other Horcruxes are objects and things). It's a long shot idea, but it could have the potential to be a great story in the end..
New User
ya9ayox
0 Kudos

Harry in the prophecy is stated to be the wizard who will stop Voldemort so Voldemort wants Harry dead. I don't he would have a problem with killing 1/7 of himself because killing that part would achieve his main goal of being the greatest wizard. I also thing Neville is going to come into play since him and Harry have the same birthday and that sort of thing. And it also doesn't say either way if Voldemort knows if Horcruxes have been destroyed or not...
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

I still think that the liquid Dumbledore drank was the horcrux. I think that Dumbledore already knew that the locket horcrux was destroyed, but didn't want Harry to know that he was actually feeding D. the horcrux so he slipped the locket into the potion so Harry would think that was what they were after.

Since the horcruxes are possesions that belonged to another, could it be liquid memories? Remember how Dumbledore was rambling after he drank it? It was as if he were a child, perhaps because he was drinking someone's childhood memories.

I think that Harry or his scar being a horcrux is a red herring. I really don't think it is possible to create a horcrux by accident, it is a very difficult thing to do, is it not? and I also can't imagine anyone dividing their soul without realizing it. V. would definitely recognize the feeling and know that he had done it because he had done it many times. JKR is very good at leading us down the wrong path then surprising us at the end. I we are going to spend a good part of the book believing that HP is a horcrux, expecting him to have to die at the end, but then we will be relieved to discover it was somewhere else all along.

So, my horcux list:
1: V himself
2: Cup
3: ring
4: locket
5: liquid D. drank
6: Diary
7: not sure, but I don't think it would be the snake because that seems to chancey for V.
Frequent Contributor
Wolfychan
0 Kudos

Idea: If Harry was a horcurx, and in the grave yard when Voldly was weak did he use part of it since he was alive, to fully bring him back. . .
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

He wouldn't have need a horcrux at that point. Voldemort survived at Godric's Hollow because of the horcruxes binding his soul to the earth. So he already had a soul at the graveyard, he just needed a body.

Wolfychan wrote:
Idea: If Harry was a horcurx, and in the grave yard when Voldly was weak did he use part of it since he was alive, to fully bring him back. . .