Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Things that get you all choked up

Kreacherteacher wrote:

This is a very good topic. Many things were emotional for me, but nothing made me cry like Dobby dying and his funeral. His death, and I don't know how to put it any other way, was so beautiful. Does that make sense to anyone? I don't mean to glorify dying nor to say that his death was a good thing, but Dobby made the most amazing sacrifice, and didn't we see it coming? Dobby, who loved his friend Harry Potter, did what Harry's mother did. Lily's sacrifice was, of course, important, but we weren't as connected to her character in the books as we were to Dobby. He was an innocent, beautiful creature, and his funeral was even more important than Dumbledore's to me. It was very personal and done with such care from Harry. Isn't it the way we hope people treat us upon our deaths? Don't we hope that someone cares for us as deeply as Harry did for Dobby? Wow, it blew me away like nothing else in literature.

I sure can agree with you, KreacherTeacher!  I think the facts that Dobby was so innocent, so pure of heart, and idolized Harry in such a childlike way, to the point where he would do anything for him, no matter how terrified he was, made his death the most poignant of all.   And the fact that Harry understood this and felt the profound responsibility, honoring him in death with the sweat of his own hand digging, as though he was the servant and Dobby his hero, made that funeral very powerful indeed.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Poignant was the perfect word. Thanks! There was still a beauty in it, but poignant seems to be more appropriate.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Somehow that final rescue brings back the moment when, wearing his new-found freedon like Dumbore's most magnificent robes, Dobby steps in front of Harry, announces "You shall not hurt Harry Potter!", and then bounces the proud Lucius on his Lucious butt.

And many thanks to Jason Isaacs for playing that role to the hilt.

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Poignant was the perfect word. Thanks! There was still a beauty in it, but poignant seems to be more appropriate.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Snape:  Avadra Kedavra!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

I had 2 reactions to Snape's "It is over." line.  One from the book and the other from the movie.

To me, in the book, Snape was his controlled, all business, no nonsense self, getting danger away from Harry, Draco out of danger and the DE's out of the tower before they could harm anyone else.  He'd done his hateful job and it was time to get out of there as quickly and as cleanly as possible.  Any reaction could come later, when there was time.  Perhaps much later.

In the move, Alan Rickman's reading of those two words was so different, so much more.  All the impact of Dumbledore's death was there instantaneously...

The end of Dumbledore's era in the Wizarding World

The end of Dumbledore's Hogwarts

The end of his own Hogwarts world, where he was accepted, even if only because of Dumbledore's acceptance of him,

The end of his friendship with the only one who knew, accepted, respected and appreciated all of him for the man he was

If there was ever an Academy Award Winning Performance, that was it.

Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

I don't remember if it was the same in the books (it's been a while since I've read GOF), but at the end of the movie when Colin's father realizes his son is dead. that one makes me want to find a pillow to scream into

Dobby's death

Sirus's death

Dumbledore's death

Hedwig's death

basically deaths in general. soo sad.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Frequent Contributor
Lalo
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

I had 2 reactions to Snape's "It is over." line.  One from the book and the other from the movie.

To me, in the book, Snape was his controlled, all business, no nonsense self, getting danger away from Harry, Draco out of danger and the DE's out of the tower before they could harm anyone else.  He'd done his hateful job and it was time to get out of there as quickly and as cleanly as possible.  Any reaction could come later, when there was time.  Perhaps much later.

In the move, Alan Rickman's reading of those two words was so different, so much more.  All the impact of Dumbledore's death was there instantaneously...

The end of Dumbledore's era in the Wizarding World

The end of Dumbledore's Hogwarts

The end of his own Hogwarts world, where he was accepted, even if only because of Dumbledore's acceptance of him,

The end of his friendship with the only one who knew, accepted, respected and appreciated all of him for the man he was

If there was ever an Academy Award Winning Performance, that was it.

Jules - I can not even begin to tell you how much I agree with you!!!! but heres the question would the Academy even consider offering up such an award to a HP movie? Come to think of it have they been globally achknowledged for anything?

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

I don't see why not -- Warner Bros is a US company.  And didn't they give Peter Jackson and Oscar for Return of the King, which was "understood" to be for all 3?  Personally, I think he should have had 3, not one.

But then, a movie has to be "campaigned" to be nominated and selected, and I doubt that will be done.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

Much as I like the Harry Potter films, they just don't even approach the same level as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. The acting, the production design, special effects, musical score, the screenplays themselves... everything was exceptionally done across all three films. The Potter films have been far more uneven as they've changed directors, and had the kids grow into their roles (the first two films are kind of rough going, though they were better than I remembered when I re-watched all five in order leading up to HBP's theatrical release).

Perhaps the two-part Deathly Hallows will be that good, but I'm kind of doubtful. A genre film has to be incredibly exceptional in its impact (e.g. Star Wars, LOTR, The Dark Knight) for it to get Oscar nominations outside of the technical/artistic categories. So far none of the Potter films have come even close, and I say that as one who likes them.

Frequent Contributor
TheChippedWarlockBust
0 Kudos

There have been a lot of great moments mentioned in this thread that choke me up.  I think the biggest for me were:

The moment you realized that Dumbledore was really dead (that was part way through the DH for me... I know, I know... but I just couldn't believe it was true so I kept holding out that he might somehow be alive)

Snapes last moments.  (With the forknowledge of DH, the scene where snape kills dumbledore in OotF is also a good one.  The combination of seeing it acted out and actually knowing that Dumbledore's "Severis... please!" cry was actually a plea for Snape to go through with killing him and all of the internal struggle that must have been going on in Snape)

Dobby's death and funeral.

Ok, moving on to what has not been mentioned:

Barty Croutch at the moment that his son is accused of being a Deatheater and knowing he must sentence him to Azkaban... a virtual death sentence... or actually, worse than death perhaps.

Harry breaking up with Ginny for her own safety.  Not only is he giving up the love of his life, but he standing at a fork in the road.  Down one path is happiness with Ginny, life at Hogwarts (his home), and everything good and innocent and happy.  Down the other path is uncertainty, danger, darkness, evil, a crushing weight of what he must do, the pain of all the culmulative losses that have marked his life for this journey down that path, and even the knowlege that he will most likely die down that path, never to see Ginny again.  We see other glimpses of this struggle, like when Harry says that he's not going back to Hogwart's whether it remains open or not... or when he sees Ginny right before going in the woods to face Voldemort. 

Trelorney (sp?) being thrown out of Hogwarts by Deloris Umbridge.  She was just so pitiful and like so many others (Harry,  Riddle, Snape, Hagrid, Dumbledore?), it was her true HOME... the place she felt completely accepted and safe... the place she was truly happy in.  I couldn't help thinking about how Hogwarts was more than a school to so many... it was a special place.  It's fitting that the final battle occurs at Hogwarts.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote, in part:

Much as I like the Harry Potter films, they just don't even approach the same level as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. ... 

Very True.  I just used LOTR as an example of a foreign film that was rewarded by the Academy.
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

DUMBLEDORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

AlejandroOchoa wrote:

Oh, yes; though my Dumbledore is quite different from JKR's or Hollywood's, but that's the privilege of being a reader!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Ick!  Two faced, deceiving, duplicitous old coot.
ConnieK wrote:

AlejandroOchoa wrote:

Oh, yes; though my Dumbledore is quite different from JKR's or Hollywood's, but that's the privilege of being a reader!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

Mercy, Molly!  You don't like Dumbledore any more, do you?  I still have "my" Dumbledore as a reader, so he's the one I know, and I didn't read him that way.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
booksntea
0 Kudos

Definitely when Hedwig dies, it was basically the start of all the deaths in the book. And in real life, I'm afraid of birds, so this was big for me.

Also, I think maybe my biggest choke up was Ron yelling Hermione's name at Malfoy Manor. That just...*sigh* wow. Yeah. Oh and then Dobby's death soon after was kind of the breaking point where I had to close the book and cry before I could continue.

Well if I ever need a good cry I know which forum to go read! :smileysad:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

No Connie, I have never been able to get past Dumbledore's betrayals.  I've tried, but I can't seem to get there.  Sadly, I've never been fond of idols with feet of clay, and Dumbie is wearing concrete sneaks.
ConnieK wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Mercy, Molly!  You don't like Dumbledore any more, do you?  I still have "my" Dumbledore as a reader, so he's the one I know, and I didn't read him that way.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I don't think I ever said "hello and welcome".  I love your name "booksntea"! My idea of how to get through the winter!

Sorry this is veering off topic, but you mentioned "well if I ever need a good cry".  When I need a good cry, (as opposed to a BAD cry) I watch "How Green was my Valley" .  Evocative though the Potter books are, the films less so, they don't get to me in quite the same way. 

booksntea wrote:

Definitely when Hedwig dies, it was basically the start of all the deaths in the book. And in real life, I'm afraid of birds, so this was big for me.

Also, I think maybe my biggest choke up was Ron yelling Hermione's name at Malfoy Manor. That just...*sigh* wow. Yeah. Oh and then Dobby's death soon after was kind of the breaking point where I had to close the book and cry before I could continue.

Well if I ever need a good cry I know which forum to go read! :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
booksntea
0 Kudos

Why thank you Mollywobbles! I did put some thought into the name:smileyhappy: Your name is fun to say, it makes me smile after I say it! I will definitely keep that in mind for when the occasion arrises, I am a huge movie buff as well as book buff (I'm an English major, how can I not be??) so I always like to hear new suggestions of movies!

Now I don't know if this is relevant, but apart from the books, I do remember the first thing that made me cry in the HP movies, and that was at the end of the 2nd movie with everybody applauding for Hagrid (different and cheesier than the book yes, but still effective on my tear ducts). Also Cedric dying (in both movie and book) was a big tug at the heartstrings.

Frequent Contributor
Rose_W
0 Kudos

I love these books dearly and there are many times i get choked up

-Ron yelling Hermione's name in malfoy manor

-All of the deaths throughout the series (...well, most of them anyway) 

-Luna's room in DH

-Luna encouraging harry, ron and hermione when they can't conjure the patronuses in DH

-Harry breaking up w/ ginny while ron is holding hermione

-Professor McGonagall after dumbledore dies

I'm sure there are plenty more, this is all i can think of right now.