Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

Things that get you all choked up

If this topic has been done, forgive me, I was off the board for 2 years.

What kinds of things choke you up in the books?  

Two things that come to mind are

-In SS when Dumbledore finds Harry in front of the Mirror of Erised and says:It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

-The other thing that chokes me up every time is when I tell someone how Rowling put Natalie McDonald in the books during one of the sortings and the story behind it.  I cannot tell someone that story without starting to cry.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Things that get you all choked up

I don't think it has been done before, Patty.  Good topic!

It's hard to remember all the places where I get choked up, but in addition to the mirror scene in the first book, here are others that come quickly to mind...

1.  OotP -- the whole emotional scene with Dumbledore, ending with "I cared about you too much".

2.  OotP -- When Harry finds the mirror and tries to contact Sirius through it and then goes to find Nearly Headless Nick, etc. 

3.  HBP -- when Dumbledore says "I'm with you".  Then later, the Phoenix lament and funeral.

4.  DH -- Dudley's stammering effort to say that he cared.

5.  DH -- Dobby's funeral

6.  DH -- Before his sacrifice -- to his parents -- "Will it hurt?"

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

- When Snape Always at the end of DH.

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

Oh an I almost forgot what chokes me up the most....in the 6th book when the Weasley House burns down....Oh but wait a minute....wait...that's not in the book and there's supposed to be a wedding there in the next movie!   Argggh... I'm calm, I'm calm : )

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

• in DH, when Ron is screaming Hermione's name while she's being tortured by Bellatrix.
  • in DH, when Dobby dies.
  • in HBP, when Dumbledore dies.
  • in DH, when Snape's story and sacrifice is revealed.
  • in DH, when Griffindor, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw stand between Harry and the Slytherins.
  • in OotP, when Harry tries to talk to Sirius through the two-way mirror.
Contributor
hollygolightlyy
0 Kudos

Besides the obvious (Harry seeing his parents in the mirror, Harry going into the forest...etc etc) one thing that really got me as I was rereading the Half-Blood Prince was when Mr. Weasley refuses to come into the house until Mrs. Weasley asks him his secret question which is "What is your dearest ambition?" and his answer is "To learn how airplanes stay up." Aw...he just gets me every time!
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

The Death of Sirius 

When Hedwig Died

I feel that those events earn capital letters. 

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
Lalo
0 Kudos

* When sirius dies and Lupin is holding onto Harry with harry screaming...

* When Harry sees Ginny jst as his about to walk into the forrest and he stuggles with the wanting her to stop him...

* SSSO agree with the does it hurt, I dnt tear up here I literally cry...

* and Dobby's funeral!!! I dont think those who only watch the movies will understand why I'm balling my eyes out when that scene is played!

* I know I have to hate percy on principle, but when his crying over Fred's body...

New User
Kira_Uchiha
0 Kudos

In the deathly hallows during the battle of hogwarts when harry, ron and hermione cannot produce patronuses and luna helps them by telling them to think something happy

When harry can't think of anything she says 'we're all still here, we're all still fighting...' (LL) chokes me up anyways

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

-Hagrid saying goodbye to Norbert(a)

-Hedwig's death

-Fred's death

-Dobby's death

-When Harry's

-Cedric's death

-When Harry's"body" is laid in front of the Hogwart's defenders, McGonagall's scream is the loudest

-McGonagall rushing to defend Hagrid when Umbridge et al try to imprison him and McGonagall takes 7 stunners to the chest.

-Lupin's after death statement about making a better world for Teddy

-Harry's "will it hurt?"

-Luna's wall friendsfriendsfriendsfriendsfriends

-Gran Longbottom's comment on arriving during the battle of Hogwarts-Of course he's fighting...and off she goes to help him.

-Dudley's "I don't think you're a waste of space"

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to any and all new members in this thread!

I'm getting choked up just reading these posts!  Good subject!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
vismyhero
0 Kudos

Sooo many:

Sirius dying

Hedwig dying

Fred dying

Dobby dying, Harry Burying him

Snape's undying love for Lily

Neville standing up to Voldemort (I start crying everytime I thin about this)

There's more I'm sure...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

In book 5, when McGonagall finds herself having to yell at Harry for standing up to Umbridge,  she instead says to him "have a biscuit", and later "Have another biscuit".  I don't know about others, but I could feel her inner tension as she repeated those words!

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

That was a good one Psychee. 

Also in book 5, I got a little congested when Neville pocketed the gum wrapper his mum gave him.

Psychee wrote:

In book 5, when McGonagall finds herself having to yell at Harry for standing up to Umbridge,  she instead says to him "have a biscuit", and later "Have another biscuit".  I don't know about others, but I could feel her inner tension as she repeated those words!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

That was a good one Psychee. 

Also in book 5, I got a little congested when Neville pocketed the gum wrapper his mum gave him.

Oh, yeah... that one really tugged on my heartstrings!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

In HBP, when Snape tells Harry to look at him so that he can die looking into Lily's eyes.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

All of Deathly Hallows, Chapter 34. Especially "Will it hurt?"

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

This is a very good topic. Many things were emotional for me, but nothing made me cry like Dobby dying and his funeral. His death, and I don't know how to put it any other way, was so beautiful. Does that make sense to anyone? I don't mean to glorify dying nor to say that his death was a good thing, but Dobby made the most amazing sacrifice, and didn't we see it coming? Dobby, who loved his friend Harry Potter, did what Harry's mother did. Lily's sacrifice was, of course, important, but we weren't as connected to her character in the books as we were to Dobby. He was an innocent, beautiful creature, and his funeral was even more important than Dumbledore's to me. It was very personal and done with such care from Harry. Isn't it the way we hope people treat us upon our deaths? Don't we hope that someone cares for us as deeply as Harry did for Dobby? Wow, it blew me away like nothing else in literature.

New User
invisilizEV
0 Kudos

• Hedwig's death!  I was so NOT prepared for her dying!  *tears up as I write this*
  • The real meaning behind "I open at the close."
  • The moment that you realize that Dumbledore is actually dead. 

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Neville killing the snake. (Yes, I got choked up. I think the evolution of Neville in the face of the Death Eaters is a wonderful side plot in the books, and I am not happy about them leaving it out of the movies for the most part.)

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"