Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay

Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

[ Edited ]
Here are a few questions...

What were Lily and James?

Why was professor Kettlebern missing limbs?

Given that people can not see the person who does magic, why didn't Harry get in trouble when both Tonks and Dumbledore did magic at #4 Privet Drive in books 5 and 6?

Dumbledore'a mirror includes himself reconciled with Aberforth. Why then, in Book 6, did he say he was friendly with the local barman?

I know these questions don't mean much but if you know the answers, or have any other such questions, than feel free to post them...

Message Edited by agnijay on 10-14-2007 11:08 AM
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I think if it had become common knowledge that Aberforth was DD's brother, then Aberforth would definitely have been targeted by deatheaters. As it was, he was simply looked upon as an innocent, harmless person. Had Harry known about Aberforth, I think he would have bugged him and blown his cover.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI

agnijay wrote:

>

What do you mean? what were lily and James?
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41

[ Edited ]

agnijay wrote:

Why was professor Kettlebern missing limbs?

Given that people can not see the person who does magic, why didn't Harry get in trouble when both Tonks and Dumbledore did magic at #4 Privet Drive in books 5 and 6?

Dumbledore'a mirror includes himself reconciled with Aberforth. Why then, in Book 6, did he say he was friendly with the local barman?

I know these questions don't mean much but if you know the answers, or have any other such questions, than feel free to post them...

Message Edited by agnijay on 10-14-2007 11:08 AM

We were never told Lily and James' professions. We know the Longbottoms were aurors; it's possible that the Potters were as well, but we don't know. Jo did say that James was independently wealthy from his inheritance and would not have needed a well paying job. The Potters were only 21 when they were killed, which is about 4 years out of school, so it's likely that they weren't all that far along in whatever career paths they had undertaken.

You can be 'friendly,' on civil, amicable terms with someone and not be fully reconciled with them. I believe Albus and Aberforth were like this - civil and possibly even friendly with each other, but not 'buddy buddy.' I can imagine them sitting down for a pint together catching up on old times, but there would always be a little weirdness. Does that make sense? Remember too, at the time of Riddle's visit to Hogwarts, Albus would not have needed to play down his relationship w/ Aberforth for security reasons as he would in later years, with Voldemort rising to power.

Tonks producing magic at Privet Drive in book 5 would not have mattered so much; Harry was already facing suspension at the time. With Dumbledore in book 6, I suppose this could have been an issue under a different political climate, but at the time the Ministry wasn't quite so bent on discrediting Harry.

Kettleburn was Care of Magical Creatures. One would guess that he may have angered a hippogriff, or some similarly dangerous creature.

Here's a question:

Q: Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?
JKR: Good question - yes, a few of them but that information is sort of restricted - you'll find out why. (CR)

We never found out why Jo. What's the dilio??

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 10-14-2007 01:13 PM
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think there are two issues here. First is that underage wizards are not allowed to do magic outside of Hogwarts. Somewhere it says that underage wizards living in a magic household can kind of get away with it because the ministry expects the parents to police the kids. That's why Harry got accused of doing the hover charm in COS.

The second issue is doing magic in front of muggles. This seems to be a little more elastic in application. Dumbledore did magic in front of the Dursleys in HPB, so did Arthur Weasley-nothing happened to them. We know Arthur had gotten permission to pick up Harry, and had gotten a one-off connection of the Dursley's fireplace to the Floo network. I am similarly assuming that Dumbledore made the ministry aware that he was picking Harry up at Privet drive, and so there was a kind of implied permission. But Morfin was taken to task for the magic he did in attacking Tom Riddle Sr. and Harry had the whole hearing think after doing the Patronus. I don't think Tonks had a problem in doing magic at Privet drive because as I recall, Vernon, Petunia and Dudders had been lured away from the house (if you're referring to OOTP when Harry gets taken to Grimmauld place), and she was over 17, so she was legal. I would assume that the ministry had consented to the group of aurors moving Harry, and knew that magic would be performed in advance.

br>
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI

Hey...was MoM aware of Tonks and co. taking Harry away? That sounds stupid...but, dunno, with a few of the Order actually working at the ministry... Well, if they were it would be expected for some magic to be used, not necessarily by Harry. And if he was already on suspension, for such a ridiculous thing, it seems they would be eager for more evidence against him, right?
Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
0 Kudos

The second issue is doing magic in front of muggles. This seems to be a little more elastic in application. Dumbledore did magic in front of the Dursleys in HPB, so did Arthur Weasley-nothing happened to them. We know Arthur had gotten permission to pick up Harry, and had gotten a one-off connection of the Dursley's fireplace to the Floo network.

I have wondered about the rules about no magic in front of muggles if the person is muggleborn. I mean let's say Hermione or Lily, if they are overage and their family knows they are magical...I'm just saying there must be a clause in there for this instance. The Dursleys were aware of the Wizarding World, There should be a term for muggles who have magical relatives and I suppose that magic can be performed in front of them because they already know about it. The problem was with Harry's being underage.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

What about the Trace?? Dumbledore or anyone else preforming 'overage' magic would not have the Trace on them, and would not be detected... would they?
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
What about the Trace?? Dumbledore or anyone else preforming 'overage' magic would not have the Trace on them, and would not be detected... would they?

Well...dunno. wait, the ministry sensed dobby's magic, and I would bet he doesn't have a trace on him. They can detect magic, I think, but they...wait. I'm confused.

Psychee!
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have a couple theories related to house-elves and tracing. According to the HP Lexicon website, they say house-elves have their own powerful magic which requires no focusing tools such as wands or words. Perhaps it is quite impossible for the MoM to trace it either completely or even partially since it was quite different from their own practices. MoM may never have seen the need for this considering house-elves were very loyal creatures.

I also just think that perhaps this one was character that was overlooked by MoM and Voldy's crew. As these characters were, for the most part, overlooked by everyone save for Hermione for a very long time, no one saw a need to trace their whereabouts or activities.

The Lexicon also stated that house-elf magic was mostly done only by house-elves for their mundane work. Perhaps it is a good thing that Hermione had so little luck in getting them to rise up against their masters. Had she succeeded in this, maybe house-elves would have been traced; therefore, Hermione herself would have died at the hands of Bella considering Dobby was the one who ultimately saved her by apparating there. Ah, who knows.

But, Dobby remained, I believe, the only house-elf that considered himself free.

Message Edited by Kreacherteacher on 10-14-2007 06:41 PM
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I think there are two issues here. First is that underage wizards are not allowed to do magic outside of Hogwarts. Somewhere it says that underage wizards living in a magic household can kind of get away with it because the ministry expects the parents to police the kids. That's why Harry got accused of doing the hover charm in COS.

The second issue is doing magic in front of muggles. This seems to be a little more elastic in application. Dumbledore did magic in front of the Dursleys in HPB, so did Arthur Weasley-nothing happened to them. We know Arthur had gotten permission to pick up Harry, and had gotten a one-off connection of the Dursley's fireplace to the Floo network. I am similarly assuming that Dumbledore made the ministry aware that he was picking Harry up at Privet drive, and so there was a kind of implied permission. But Morfin was taken to task for the magic he did in attacking Tom Riddle Sr. and Harry had the whole hearing think after doing the Patronus. I don't think Tonks had a problem in doing magic at Privet drive because as I recall, Vernon, Petunia and Dudders had been lured away from the house (if you're referring to OOTP when Harry gets taken to Grimmauld place), and she was over 17, so she was legal. I would assume that the ministry had consented to the group of aurors moving Harry, and knew that magic would be performed in advance.

br>

I think this may be an area of contridiction . . .

At one point she says that because there were no known adult wizards in this house, and if there were known adult wizards in the home the ministry expected the parents to keep them in check.

Then in another book, it indicates that there is like a lo-jack on underage wizards for detecting just underage magic outside of Hogwarts. Was this lifted when they went to Hogsmede or was Hogsmede simply expanded to cover the school?
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

br>

I think the difference here is Dumbledore is, well, Dumbledore! and I think the magic Arthur did, fixing the twins treat, was within his job description as a ministry official. And as for Morfin, well he didn't just use magic in front of muggles, he ATTACKED a muggle. And if it's anything like today, they would have had much stronger and more well inforced rules and laws say 60 or 70 years ago. Because if Hagrid had been expelled 50 years ago and Tom was his age, it would have had to been at least 60 years prior.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Here's a question. . . if there was (what was it called - home of Harry concealed unless the secret keeper gave info) a secrecy shield on the Dursley's so voldy couldn't find him, how did Dobby find him? In fact I'd think that was very dangerous since Dobby, working for the Malfoy's, could've leaned the other direction - say not a HP fan.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:
Here's a question. . . if there was (what was it called - home of Harry concealed unless the secret keeper gave info) a secrecy shield on the Dursley's so voldy couldn't find him, how did Dobby find him? In fact I'd think that was very dangerous since Dobby, working for the Malfoy's, could've leaned the other direction - say not a HP fan.

Again, I think, this is a case of wizards underestimating elf-magic. Which in itself is very powerful, and can stretch beyond that of wizards. I think Dobby had special ability to find Harry's home. And you're right. It would have been dangerous. Any dark wizard who wasn't so obsessed with the whole pureblood superiority idea would have gone twice as far as Voldy you know...get themselves a hoard of house-elves - the most complex and powerful spy network in the wizarding world! lol.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

oooh... lots of questions to answer! Here are my thoughts...

Let's see...

1. Harry had the trace on him and ALSO the house had a trace on it because it was Harry Potter and the Ministry initially, anyway, was monitoring for Voldemort activity. I think something like "We have been monitoring that area carefully due to the past" was said at the hearing when Mrs. Figg announced to them that she lived in the area.

Anyway, because the house had the trace on it as well, Dobby's magic was wrongfully attributed to Harry in COS.

2. Harry was never invisible to Voldemort when he was at Privet Drive. Voldemort only said that he could not touch him there, presumably because of the spell that Dumbledore cast when he moved Harry there using "blood" protection.

Therefore, there was no reason Dobby would not have been able to find Harry.

3. Back to the trace thing... Arthur Weasley had alerted the MoM that he would be picking up Harry... he had to do that in order to get the fireplace connected to the Flue Network anyway. Consequently, when he did magic there, they could assume it was him.

Presumably, Dumbledore also informed the Ministry that Harry would be picked up when Tonks did magic at the beginning of the fifth year and when Dumbledore picked him up at the beginning of the sixth year. That would cover the magic done at those times.

4. When the Ministry made a big deal about Harry doing magic in front of a Muggle, they were just throwing the book at him. Obviously, doing magic in front of Dudley did not in any way violate the Statute of Secrecy because Dudley already knew about the magical world. Similarly, the Dursleys knew about the magical world before Dumbledore did any magic around them, and before Arthur Weasley did any magic in front of them.

Those are my thoughts, anyway...
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Thank god we have Psychee! for a moment i thought we'd scared you away with our comments! we're hopeless without...:smileyhappy:
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I don't think we could scare away Psychee, especially considering it wasn't our intent anyway. Psychee can see through that. Annoy perhaps, but not scare.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

This is probably the 50th time ive posted this question but still everyone ignores it.
So it fits on zis thread! **slams buttahbeah on zee fire!

Oh no!

Ok here’s ze question, IS ARIANNA RAPED OR NOT.?
If yes , then fine.
If no, please give me ample amount of evidence to support your answer…

I’m sorryi just can’t get over it. Don’t judge me.,
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

The text just states that she was attacked by three young Muggles who had panicked because they had seen her performing magic so they were scared. This leads me to believe it wasn't sexual in nature, but that they were thinking they had to protect themselves in some way.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
This is probably the 50th time ive posted this question but still everyone ignores it.
So it fits on zis thread! **slams buttahbeah on zee fire!

Oh no!

Ok here’s ze question, IS ARIANNA RAPED OR NOT.?
If yes , then fine.
If no, please give me ample amount of evidence to support your answer…

I’m sorryi just can’t get over it. Don’t judge me.,

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

If only I can bring my book here so I can quote that passage.. tsk, **mrsRW is frustrated.
Aberforth said something in his bar when he was telling his side of the story to HRO…
That made me think.

Ok.. here’s me point, if she was just ‘attacked’.. HOW?
JKR coulda just described it in detail like everything else in the story right?
Could it be that the details are sensitive especially as HP is originally a children’s book?
I know you have a point ok, I just have this thirst for information about zis zat cannotz be quenched! Hheee—eeelppp pppll—eeea—seee..
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o