Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
dandyMW

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I have a question. Just reread the Prisoner of Azkaban and was wondering...

How did Fred and George know how to work the Marauder's Map?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
— Groucho Marx
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

JKR never said anything in the books, and I don't remember her saying anything in interviews, either.  Maybe someone else recalls something. 

I'd guess, and it's just a guess, that she'd say that F&G were such marvelous mischief making wizards that they could "sense the presence of mischief" much as Dumbledore could sense the presence of magic.  They would just have an instinct for it.

Other than that, they  may have just hacked away at it until they hit on the right words.

I don't think the question has ever come up before.

New User
maxrideFAN
0 Kudos

in her youtube video about pottermore she says that she will release her books in ebook format

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Does "ebook format" mean that both Nook and Kindle can read them?

Frequent Contributor
booksntea

It should! I've read that the books will be available in all popular formats, and pretty much Kindle is the only one that doesn't do ePub format. But there's no way they could ignore the biggest market share of ebook readers- the ones who own Kindles. Nook comes in right after that, but it like many others does ePub format so yes, the impression I'm getting is it will be available for all devices. As a nook owner and former English major I'm VERY excited to get those ebooks! Now I can go through and read and highlight or make notes without ruining my physical copies of the books! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I'm a bibliophile myself, and don't think it would be as comfortable curling up with a hand-held device as it is with a good book.  LoL  But I do see the advantages you've just mentioned -- adding remarks, annotations. hilites and searching.  Yeah for searching!! -- where were they talking about the silver knife???" --  Great for studying & research.

Contributor
jcbowen
0 Kudos

I'm just curious to see if anyone has thought about the fact that Voldemort made Nagini his 7th horcrux?  Why made a living creature a horcrux?  What happens to the bit of Voldemort's soul when the snake would eventually die (even if Neville didn't manage to hack off it's head)?   Does making the snake a horcrux also make it immortal?

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Being a Horcrux would not make a person/creature immortal. Having a Horcrux makes one unable to die as long as the soul-bit survives.

IMHO, Voldy used Nagini because he ran out of other things -- souvineers of the founders -- to use and didn't feel safe without there being 7 (that he knew of).  If he thought about it at all, he prob figured he'd just make another one when Nagini perished.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

OK, so here's a question that's been bothering me for a LONG time!

In CoS, Ron & Harry were able to catch up with the train, right? So why can't people just find the track and backtrack to the station! If Ron & Harry were able to go to the track and then go back to the station, they could've found Ron's parents and explained the whole situation. It just makes no sense to me.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Right!!!!

And, When Molly and Arthur came back thru the barrier from 93/4, they had no way home!

Correspondent
padr49904

Lol, they mentioned in the book that they could apparate, so they weren't completely helpless.  And I think they were more concerned with making it to Hogwarts than getting to his parents.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

LoL  Just like 2 12-year-olds.  Never mind that Mon and Dad didn't see them onto the train, and can't find them on Platform 9 3/4, or anywhere in the station, and the car is missing -- they can just appartate back home. 

No wonder parents get grey.  :smileymad::smileywink:

Correspondent
padr49904
0 Kudos

Probably a lot worse with wizard parents since before their children go to school they have untrained magic to terrorize their parents with. 

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Right!

Can you imagine the life of muggles when their little bundle of joy is a wizard -- esp the terrible-twos?  And I think Hogwarts was invented to get the teenagers out of the house while there is still a house to get them out of!

Distinguished Correspondent
dobys_girl_55
0 Kudos

It would be so confusing.  Its probably the biggest relief to learn they are witches or wizards. I bet some of them think that there is a few ghosts around. 

You gotta hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain, because most of lifes lessons are learned because of pain
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

Or the muggle parents suspect it all coming from there child and maybe try in some ridiculous way to train or use them somehow.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Hmmmmmmmmmm......Like How?

Correspondent
padr49904

Well parents sometimes have people in their lives they don't really like, they might unleash their kids on that unsuspecting person.  They might also be able to use them to commit crimes and stuff like that but the Ministry of Magic probably steps in when those situations occur.

Contributor
damamabear33
0 Kudos

I'm afraid to send my kids to their friends house because my kids can be VERY mischievous. I called the other parents "Unsuspecting Victims". I cringe at the thought of adding magic into the equation! We all would be in jail or the "Nuthut" trying to explain some of the stuff in the books! LOL!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

To bad they're like that. If they're as bad as you say they are then adding magic there would be a crisis on a whole different level.