Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

another tiny question is...if they cannot determine the perpetrators of magic, how does the Trace work? Psychee?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

agnijay wrote:
another tiny question is...if they cannot determine the perpetrators of magic, how does the Trace work? Psychee?

I guess the Trace must just pick up magic in the immediate vicinity of the underage witch or wizard. For nine months of the year, while they are at school, I guess the Ministry just shuts off the alarms and ignores them. During the holidays, they might pay attention to them, but not if the underage witch or wizard lives with magical adults. It seems to me that the only kids for whom this Trace is useful are those who live with Muggles, which is very unfair and is one of the reasons Harry was so angry about it when he found out.

Harry probably could have used magic when he was living with the Weasleys, as the Ministry would not have been able to tell who in the house did magic in his immediate vicinity. However, since the parents are responsible for making sure there is no underage magic going on in their home, that would have violated the Weasley parents' trust.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Well Mrs Ron,

You get just about as worked up as our Mother in law when you're angry. What language from you! :smileywink:

I had a thought . . . do we know that Pansy is worthy . . . after all we haven't heard anything about her people. Where is her tree? Her ancestors weren't mentioned in the DE crowd. How do we know she was acceptable or not by the Slytherin A listers.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Most of them didn’t know what they were getting into.
Goyle has bananas where his brain should be!

“hi im goyle and im going to produce cursed fire! –WHHOOSSHHH oh no I don’t know how to stop it!”

I hate him. Stupid git,

Anyway I learned how people can be such hypocrites. They’re all blabbing about being in or pro voldemort when they can’t even get near the guy or look him in the eye… I think the slytherin kids like pamsy Parkinson knew nothing but to yack, but deep down they’re all cowards.

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Girls!

All rules for the norm do not apply at Hogwarts. So really the kids were only penalized what maybe 2 months a year. They get on the Express about the end of June and then back to school by the 1st of September. If they didn't go home for breaks as our guys often didn't they were still welcome to use magic at school.

Psychee wrote:

agnijay wrote:

I guess the Trace must just pick up magic in the immediate vicinity of the underage witch or wizard. For nine months of the year, while they are at school, I guess the Ministry just shuts off the alarms and ignores them. During the holidays, they might pay attention to them, but not if the underage witch or wizard lives with magical adults. It seems to me that the only kids for whom this Trace is useful are those who live with Muggles, which is very unfair and is one of the reasons Harry was so angry about it when he found out.

Harry probably could have used magic when he was living with the Weasleys, as the Ministry would not have been able to tell who in the house did magic in his immediate vicinity. However, since the parents are responsible for making sure there is no underage magic going on in their home, that would have violated the Weasley parents' trust.

Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:

Psychee wrote:
oooh... lots of questions to answer! Here are my thoughts...

Let's see...

1. Harry had the trace on him and ALSO the house had a trace on it because it was Harry Potter and the Ministry initially, anyway, was monitoring for Voldemort activity. I think something like "We have been monitoring that area carefully due to the past" was said at the hearing when Mrs. Figg announced to them that she lived in the area.

Anyway, because the house had the trace on it as well, Dobby's magic was wrongfully attributed to Harry in COS.

2. Harry was never invisible to Voldemort when he was at Privet Drive. Voldemort only said that he could not touch him there, presumably because of the spell that Dumbledore cast when he moved Harry there using "blood" protection.

Therefore, there was no reason Dobby would not have been able to find Harry.

3. Back to the trace thing... Arthur Weasley had alerted the MoM that he would be picking up Harry... he had to do that in order to get the fireplace connected to the Flue Network anyway. Consequently, when he did magic there, they could assume it was him.

Presumably, Dumbledore also informed the Ministry that Harry would be picked up when Tonks did magic at the beginning of the fifth year and when Dumbledore picked him up at the beginning of the sixth year. That would cover the magic done at those times.

4. When the Ministry made a big deal about Harry doing magic in front of a Muggle, they were just throwing the book at him. Obviously, doing magic in front of Dudley did not in any way violate the Statute of Secrecy because Dudley already knew about the magical world. Similarly, the Dursleys knew about the magical world before Dumbledore did any magic around them, and before Arthur Weasley did any magic in front of them.

Those are my thoughts, anyway...

You know, I was thinking, each time Harry got busted for the magic thing, ie the hover charm COS, they could've back traced his wand

Yes. It has got to me a few times how their justice system works kind of funny. I think they give a lot of weight to the word of someone (wizard) versus wanting to find evidence. And their evidence usually seems circumstantial. I know JKR would be getting out of the whole plot or the story would lose momentum if she followed all the usual processes but, all their trials seem too weak.
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Is the Whomping Willow at Hogwarts the only one of its kind? Or are there others?
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PEGSmom wrote:
Is the Whomping Willow at Hogwarts the only one of its kind? Or are there others?

Given that it was "planted", and not transformed or magicked out of a normal Willow tree, I'd say that it was not a unique specimen. They must be very rare, though.
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Hmmmmmmm! You do seem to know everything! I am becoming convinced.....you just maybe be....you know.....JKR herself!
p.s-thanks!

Psychee wrote:

PEGSmom wrote:

Given that it was "planted", and not transformed or magicked out of a normal Willow tree, I'd say that it was not a unique specimen. They must be very rare, though.

~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley

Auror_in_Training wrote:
Well Mrs Ron,

You get just about as worked up as our Mother in law when you're angry. What language from you! :smileywink:

I had a thought . . . do we know that Pansy is worthy . . . after all we haven't heard anything about her people. Where is her tree? Her ancestors weren't mentioned in the DE crowd. How do we know she was acceptable or not by the Slytherin A listers.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Most of them didn’t know what they were getting into.
Goyle has bananas where his brain should be!

“hi im goyle and im going to produce cursed fire! –WHHOOSSHHH oh no I don’t know how to stop it!”

I hate him. Stupid git,

Anyway I learned how people can be such hypocrites. They’re all blabbing about being in or pro voldemort when they can’t even get near the guy or look him in the eye… I think the slytherin kids like pamsy Parkinson knew nothing but to yack, but deep down they’re all cowards.

*blushes!

Whoops. Sorry… you know im replying to all this real time.. lol
Ok ok ill mellow down. That’s why the wobbles must not be angered will shall suffah her displeasha

You know im as cute as an angel just admit it… :smileysurprised::smileysurprised::smileysurprised: see the halo?
Let me revise what I said. I do not like pansy Parkinson and crabbe and Goyle . lol !

Apologies my friend!
(but they really are gits! And I keep forgetting who died and who set the fire! Ooohhh must stop wiz ze whisskeeeeyyy!!!)
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ok. Here’s a question that might not matter to ya’ll but it matters to me!
Lol

They are wizards right? (duh!!!) so there is this grawps elemental thingie , I forgot already sheesh!
What do you call that rule in magic,like not being able to really produce food from thin air?

Anyway, heres something for you all.

I know the weasley’s were poor (not anymore humph)
And lupin was having financial difficulties because he’s unemployed and is a werewolf…

Why can’t they do something like for example , on Ron, who has robes too short for him , something as simple as making the robes longer, or fixing the fringes?

Or isn’t there something they can do for Lupin’s shabby ones, I understand that if JKR did that, then we wouldn’t be able to classify their actual character.
But then again, it would make sense if she did.

I just don’t under stand why dear Ronald cant wear good robes at the ball! Gggrrr!
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

That is a good question... hmmm food for thought!
On a wing and a prayer.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

**stomps foot , hands on waist!!
Well since there’s only two of us in here are you at last planning to answer my question??
Sheesh! **shakes head.

Lol! :smileysurprised:
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Good question. I never understood why Ron couldn't have at least magic-ted the lace off those nasty dress robes.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Lol

They are wizards right? (duh!!!) so there is this grawps elemental thingie , I forgot already sheesh!
What do you call that rule in magic,like not being able to really produce food from thin air?

And lupin was having financial difficulties because he’s unemployed and is a werewolf…

Why can’t they do something like for example , on Ron, who has robes too short for him , something as simple as making the robes longer, or fixing the fringes?

Or isn’t there something they can do for Lupin’s shabby ones, I understand that if JKR did that, then we wouldn’t be able to classify their actual character.

I just don’t under stand why dear Ronald cant wear good robes at the ball! Gggrrr!

~ PEGSmom~
Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Here’s another one! **smacks palm on forehead

Sheesh!! Lol
:smileysurprised:

guys , (mom) I’ll be leaving now…
I shall expect answers tomorrow!!!
**waves a fist threatenignly in the air

accio house!!!
Ka-blam!
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Where are you off too? Ugh!

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Here’s another one! **smacks palm on forehead

Sheesh!! Lol
:smileysurprised:

guys , (mom) I’ll be leaving now…
I shall expect answers tomorrow!!!
**waves a fist threatenignly in the air

accio house!!!
Ka-blam!

~ PEGSmom~
Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

PEGSmom wrote:
Good question. I never understood why Ron couldn't have at least magic-ted the lace off those nasty dress robes.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Lol

yeah could he have not just use a spell to fix those ugly robes.
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Lol

I think the Law you are thinking about is called "Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration" .

But I think the answer to your question has more to do with the durability of things that have been magicked. Though you can create stuff (not all) out of nothing, those things tend not to last very long -- like the Leprechaun Gold, they disappear after a few hours.

So, it is possible that changes made to natural materials might also be short-lived. Imagine Ron going out to the Yule Ball in a robe that has been magicked for him... at midnight, he might turn shabby again, like Cinderella!

But this does suggest that food that has been increased in volume might also disappear (along with its calories) after consumption. Might be a fun way to go on a diet!
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

y couldnt hermionie just TRANSFORM the food in DH?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
ok i don't know if someone already ask this but do you need your wand to disapparated?
sorry i just don't remember and its been bugging me.

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 10-30-2007 04:59 PM

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 10-30-2007 05:39 PM
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Hermione actually did Transfigure some food in DH. They found some moldy bread at Grimmauld place, and she transfigured it into other stuff, but it still tasted lousy.

agnijay wrote:
y couldnt hermionie just TRANSFORM the food in DH?