Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I don't know why ghostly Myrtle wasn't questioned at the time. When Harry and Ron talk to her, all she says is she was crying in the loo, hears a boy come in, turns to tell him to get out, then dies. All she remembered was seeing two big yellow eyes by the sink. If nobody had figured out that the basilisk was the monster, as Hermione did, this wouldn't give them much to go on. Hagrid could have been "the boy" and Aragog could have had the big yellow eyes-nobody but Hagrid and Riddle knew about ARagog.

It has bothered me a bit that Hagrid didn't make more of a fuss. He may have tried to defend himself, but Riddle says, who is going to be believed..charming, brilliant Riddle, or oafish Hagrid who sneaks off to wrestle trolls and tries to raise werewolf cubs under his bed. Maybe Hagrid did try to explain, but wasn't believed. Dumbledore wasn't the principal then, and while I expect he stuck up for Hagrid, the decision probably was Dippets, most likely supported by favourable comments by the other teachers Riddle had charmed.

ABI wrote:
oh, yes, I haven't read CoS for a long time, which I'm sure is obvious.

But wouldn't Myrtle be put under investigation? I mean, as a ghost? Not that they would have got much out of her..

my question would be, why not Dumbledore? I mean, the man had to have a more than vague idea of what had went on? He knew Hagrid wasn't the culprit, and probably knew Riddle had framed him, so why did he not delve deeper into the topic?

And why, might I ask, are we to assume Hagird remained so oddly quiet on the subject, knowing Riddle had framed him, if not that Riddle himself was to blame, it seems logical for him to have brought up this fact. And so then Riddle would have been logically questioned, right? I mean, just to be fair. And did Hagrid get any sort of trial for this? Was he only accused, and his wand snapped? It must have been a relatively hurried ordeal, what with Myrtle's parents on edge, and the whole subject attempted to be kept quiet, but it just would seem...I mean, did Hagrid have ANY say in the matter?

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Lol wobbles! And it would be full of slime! Iiccck!!!

Another question,
When being on mom court, why cant they just use veritaserum on their suspects?
Dd and the others surely didn’t have any hesitation using it on barty crouch jr?
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I don't know why they didn't use veritaserum, it would seem a little more humane than using the unforgiveable curses. I seem to recall that there was a prohibition at Hogwarts against using veritaserum on students,but you're right they did use it on Moody/crouch. I think, a mere guess, that they were anxious to find the real Moody who had been kept prisoner all those months, and so they used the veritaserum to get at the truth quickly. Umbridge, of course, ignored the prohibition and was going to use it on Harry, except Snape gave her fake veratserum. Harry, of course, wasn't drinking ANYTHING, Umbridge gave him. Then later, Snape says he's out. Good for Snape!

Have to leave you for a while. Bubbles is getting cranky again and wants her afternoon nap. Back in a while.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Lol wobbles! And it would be full of slime! Iiccck!!!

Another question,
When being on mom court, why cant they just use veritaserum on their suspects?
Dd and the others surely didn’t have any hesitation using it on barty crouch jr?

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Scowls at bubbles! Ill teach you a spell and you need to practice it wobbles! Ok?
Here goes: ACCIO NEW COMPUTAH!!!! (and you need to do zat with conviction even if spit flies off your mouth)
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
He did have kind of a furtive air about him. Flesh eating slugs must be a common gardening problem, why would the repellent be sold in Knockturn Alley rather than in the regular apothecary shop in Diagon Alley?

Psychee wrote:

agnijay wrote:
One question... do you think Hagrid was REALLY buying flesh eating slug repellent in Knockturn Ally in book 2?

Yes. Why would he lie?

It's been a while since I've read COS but didn't he put those flesh eating slug repellent to work later in the book - something to do with the Mandrakes
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

I'm thinking if they're playing the odds - they're pretty safe I mean in a 1000 years only 2 people had ever been able to open in and, well, Ron makes 3, but he was an exception because he helped the second person get in and got to learn a little parseltongue. So the teachers, and powers that be (did the ministry ever get involved in that at all?) decided that 2 in a 1000 were pretty good odds they wouldn't have to mess with it again. And since Baslisk tend to be biodegradable they were looking good - giving back to the environment and all. :smileyhappy:)

I'm wondering, now that Voldermort killed the horcrux in Harry that gave him these unusual gifts, is Harry still able to speak parceltongue?

Mollywobbles wrote:
I think we're talking at cross purposes, I'll try to explain myself a little more clearly...need more tea.

After Harry's experience in the chamber, where he was nearly killed with basilisk poison, nobody in authority did anything about going back into the chamber to pick up and dispose of the basilisk body and fangs. Nobody did anything about permanently sealing off the entry to the chamber. Perhaps they thought nobody else could enter the chamber because nobody but Harry (at least at the time) was a parselmouth, and so they didn't worry about it. This was a bit of a risk, because Ron was able to enter the chamber just by imitating Harry, how could the teachers be so sure nobody else would have a go at it.

The legend of the chamber said it would be opened by the heir of Slytherin who would unleash the horror within. Were the teachers that confident that the basilisk was the only horror contained in the chamber? I guess so. I don't know that I would have been that confident that Salazar only had one trick up his sleeve. Since, at the end of COS, Voldy is still out there somewhere, it would have seemed prudent for the teachers to completely empty and seal off the chamber.

ABI wrote:
You have a point, but who else would know to imitate it? It was only Ron who heard Harry in the first place. And who would want to enter the chamber in the first place? Come on, even the supposal "tough" kids would never get up the courage to slide down that pipe when truly faced with it, right?

and yes, i'll be careful...

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

I've often wondered if Moldy Voldy might have had a love child. . .
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if "love" child would be correct wording, but yeah, I can see him having affairs, and perhaps a kid, if only to keep 'the line' going...ugh.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

I got the impression that Parceltongue is special and (for the most part) can't be learned, I mean if it could be learned why wouldn't people have done that before. It's a protected family secret and only heirs of Slytherin would be able to speak it. It's a gene thing.

Myrtle only saw the yellow eyes and died. That's all she knew. However, she could've told what she knew about Tom Riddle, in fact although the book didn't say specifically, that could be why 'Dumbledore never really trusted me [Riddle] again' COS.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
**nosebleeding…

urrgghh’
we can do this without psycheee!! But of course, our beautiful heads put together we can come to a conclusion!!!
Ok I suppose Dumbledore knew tom riddle had something to do with the horrors in the castle especially when myrtle died..
Here are the ‘holes’ in the story. Well at least for me:
Didn’t they make further investigation about the chamber?
Myrtle returned as a ghost , therefore students and teachers know her.
Teachers woulda had the sense to ask what and where the creature lived.,
*Dumbledore may have suspected riddle but he may have not known at the time where the actual chamber is. But still (myrtle was there!!!!! Ask her!!!)

I thought Dumbledore can speak parsletongue? Not sure.but I really think so. He can talk mermish for goodsake sake! :smileysurprised:

Question, do you think HRO had body odor ?because it was only in the lake was it featured that harry and ron took a bath.

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Thiz iz one I like! if they had the ghosts searching and they could go through walls and floors, how is it that they never found the chamber????????????????? or the diadem for that matter. by the by DD would have known that the ghost of Ravenclaw was Roena's daughter.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Wasn't Snape out because she'd used it on other students?
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I have another question that don’t matter—we it does, a bit!
Who do you think took out voldemort’s corpse?
Or what did they even do to it?
Fed it to grawp or something?

Don't forget to feed the giant Octopus in the Lake!
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

gniff wrote:

Auror_in_Training wrote:
I think they buried him in the family cemetary next to dear old dad Tom Sr., since that would've been his wish - don't you think? Eternity with his muggle line! Serves him right! :smileyhappy:

If I were in the magical world, I'd want to make sure that every trace of Voldemort was removed from the world. Lacking the ability to hurl his body into a black hole, I'd set up a catapult to throw it through the Veil. Or maybe not; maybe I'd be afraid that it would come back out again.

I can imagine the Auror office and the Department of Mysteries setting up joint teams to scour the earth for Voldyspells and remove them. This would be a group sworn never to reveal the horror's they've learned, except to each other (so they can protect each other).

For people to learn from the past all horrors should be at least written down. That is why history books exist. Some very sober, others cruelly detailed... I think the idea of having his head on the wall (or at least a picture), somewhere should remind people of not taking his same path. To be happy with the life they have, the herritage they carry (whether magical or muggle, or both!) and make the most and best of it. We cannot change the past but we can change the future.
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Ok I still am not convinced with psycheee… When he attacked the potters:::: DID VOLDEMORT LEAVE HIS BODY OR DID HE BECOME VAPOR!???

Voldemort said "I was ripped from my body". To me that means there was a body left behind and that Vapormort was made entirely of his soul.

Besides, how would anyone have known that Voldemort was hit with the rebounding curse if he hadn't left evidence behind in the form of his body? Why do you think that so many people thought he was dead?

The Horcruxes just protected his remaining soul.

But even then his body was not normal. He had already tampered with his soul and that affected his body as well, his appearance was not the same, it was snakelike. Remember the memory DD shared with Harry, when Voldemort went to apply for the DADA job (and now we know he'd also hidden the diadem in the room of req.) Also, when Hagrid is telling Harry about that night he says that no one knows where he is he might be bidding his time... (no quote here, sorry). His body could have dissolved and left his clothings in place(?) as silent evidence of his presence there... He could still be ripped from his body first....

His followers were looking for him, and that is how they ended up torturing the Longbottoms. If there had been a body, they'd have it or would have been able to see it and "known" that Voldemort was dead. Actually, as scared as people were, the Ministry could have shown it to the magical comunity as to show people they can live in peace again, and for the DEs to really feel they have been defeated.

Let's hope she adds some of this in that "HP Eencyclopedia"
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Well, I agree, the odds were pretty slim that some other student would come along in another 50 years and open the chamber. The Ministry was involved to the extent that Fudge arrested Hagrid, and Dumbledore must have informed him in order to secure Hagrid's release.

I still would have been anxious to check out the chamber to make sure there weren't any other surprises in there that could come back to bite me. As to the basilisk being bio-degradable-ick:smileyhappy: Since the basilisk lived such a long time (it had been locked up in there by Salazar) it would probably take a really, really long time to revert-and besides, it was in the castle, protected from the elements.

I don't know whether Harry would still be a Parselmouth or not once the voldy soul bit was gone. It would probably be like learning a second language, but then not using it for years. The ability was transmitted via the soul bit, but Harry would probably remember a few words, like open. He'd probably have to go looking for snakes to talk to to practice, and it's probably not a language he is interested in keeping fresh.:smileyhappy:

Auror_in_Training wrote:
I'm thinking if they're playing the odds - they're pretty safe I mean in a 1000 years only 2 people had ever been able to open in and, well, Ron makes 3, but he was an exception because he helped the second person get in and got to learn a little parseltongue. So the teachers, and powers that be (did the ministry ever get involved in that at all?) decided that 2 in a 1000 were pretty good odds they wouldn't have to mess with it again. And since Baslisk tend to be biodegradable they were looking good - giving back to the environment and all. :smileyhappy:)

I'm wondering, now that Voldermort killed the horcrux in Harry that gave him these unusual gifts, is Harry still able to speak parceltongue?

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Auror and ABI, I've wondered about this too. Would make for an interesting sequel, son of Voldemort meets James and Albus Severus Potter, or something like that.

In his senior years at Hogwarts, when Voldey is intent on immortality and was reading up on horcruxes, I expect he considered immortality through begetting children...more little heirs of Slytherin running around the place. Of course, he was interested only in his own immortality, not continuing the line. He probably figured that he would be successful in becoming immortal himself, so why bother with any more heirs?

Still, I am rather intrigued by the idea that Riddle had a "sperm of the moment" encounter-certainly not a love affair- and there might be a Voldey jr. somewhere. Eeuuugh

Auror_in_Training wrote:
I've often wondered if Moldy Voldy might have had a love child. . .

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905

Solitud wrote:

For people to learn from the past all horrors should be at least written down. That is why history books exist. Some very sober, others cruelly detailed... I think the idea of having his head on the wall (or at least a picture), somewhere should remind people of not taking his same path. To be happy with the life they have, the herritage they carry (whether magical or muggle, or both!) and make the most and best of it. We cannot change the past but we can change the future.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, too many people refuse to learn, whether or not it is documented Solitud. It is the sort of thing people assume will never happen to them, a lightening never strikes the same place twice kind of theory, already permanently planted in people's heads.

Thus remembering isn't the half of it. You've got to be willing as well...

As for the "Voldy-love-child" debate. I think it is definitely plausible. I mean, not out of any true love or anything, but just for pleasure, perhaps. I can see him seducing the unsuspecting pure-blood...as a sport, or, perhaps in moments of despair, as a way of making himself partially immortal. But you have a point Molly, he was always so self-centered, if it even occurred to him it would have been at a point of giving up. ughhhh...I shall pretend this thought never occurred to ME now.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Lately, ABI, we have been agreeing. How unusual! You're right, again, a point of agreement, that people assume bad things will never happen to them. Kids are immortal, mudslides will never happen to their house in California, floods will never happen, tsunamis and hurricane damage is something that happens to other people.

Okay, I'm really annoyed that nobody picked up on my humorous line "SPERM OF THE MOMENT".. I thought that was at least worth a "groan" from ShadowCougar.

ABI wrote:
Unfortunately, too many people refuse to learn, whether or not it is documented Solitud. It is the sort of thing people assume will never happen to them, a lightening never strikes the same place twice kind of theory, already permanently planted in people's heads.

Thus remembering isn't the half of it. You've got to be willing as well...

As for the "Voldy-love-child" debate. I think it is definitely plausible. I mean, not out of any true love or anything, but just for pleasure, perhaps. I can see him seducing the unsuspecting pure-blood...as a sport, or, perhaps in moments of despair, as a way of making himself partially immortal. But you have a point Molly, he was always so self-centered, if it even occurred to him it would have been at a point of giving up. ughhhh...I shall pretend this thought never occurred to ME now.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

lol, Molly, I actually DID pick up on that. Just forgot to reply. :smileyhappy:

And yes . .. how fortunate we have been agreeing lately.