Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

If Draco had ever really tried to understood the ROR, it would've made his job so much easier; he could of had a passage to the Hog's Head just like Neville. Although, I'm sure Abefforth wouldn't be too thrilled. It's funny how Neville was the one, above all others, even Hermione, that finally began to understand the full power of the ROR. But I'm glad it was that way because I love dear Neville!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Was it Filch who put the broken cabinet in there? I didn't get the impression that Filch even knew about the ROR. Did I miss that bit? I had the idea that the broken cabinet might have been put there by the House-proud House elves. They certainly knew about the ROR, and could get into it, but could Filch, a squib, enter the ROR. When Draco remembered the cabinet, and the possibility of a passage, he must have asked someone where it was. I think it would be more likely that Draco summoned a House Elf to give him the information. Draco was used to dealing with house elves, and they would be more likely to obey him, and give him the answer. Filch probably wouldn't have told a student anything if he could avoid it.

You and Tigerlilly are, I think both right about Draco not getting the room the way Neville did. Once he found the room, and the cabinet, he did nothing to explore the rooms possibilities, or change its nature into a private workshop.

br>

I think Tigerlilly has it right, Mollywobbles. Draco had found the cabinet in the "room of hidden things" and that's where he worked on it. But you are right... if Draco had been smart, he would have asked the room to just become a place where he could work on it privately. I don't think Draco ever "got" the room the way that Neville or Harry did.

It makes one wonder, though, if he discovered the cabinet was there by accident or if he had asked Filch where he put it...

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Why do I keep thinking about these little questions?

The house elves put up a terrific fight in the battle of Hogwarts. Later, after it is over, they are shown in the great hall mingling with everybody else-they hadn't returned to the kitchens. Do you suppose some of them would opt, as Dobby did, for freedom? Dumbledore would have been satisfied to have free house elves working at Hogwarts, but Dumbledore's gone. Once the shock of battle was over, would the house elves happily return to their kitchens, or would some seek freedom from the new Headmaster and change their arrangement to paid employment?
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Okay, this is the last one, for a while, anyway, I must get on with my Saturday chores.

So Neville becomes Herbology Professor (epilogue) Do we assume Prof. Sprout has retired? I've never heard of there being two professors in the same subject (other than the rather awkward situation with Sybil and Firenze, which was unavoidable). So if Neville is the Herbology Prof, who is now head of Hufflepuff? It's probably not Neville-most heads of house are required to live on the premises in boarding schools, and we know from Psychee's post on the book tour, that Neville and Hannah are living above the Leaky Cauldron. Also, I think that the Heads of House were generally in that house when they were students. This may not be an ironclad rule, but it seems to have worked that way-Minerva in Gryffindor, Snape and Slughorn both in Slytherin etc. Who do you think became Hufflepuff head, maybe Ernie MacMillan, or Justin Finch-Fletchly?
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Maybe it was Tonks. You never know. And who IS the new headmaster...I think I missed this.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I think most will just happily return to the kitchens.. it is what makes them happy...

Mollywobbles wrote:

The house elves put up a terrific fight in the battle of Hogwarts. Later, after it is over, they are shown in the great hall mingling with everybody else-they hadn't returned to the kitchens. Do you suppose some of them would opt, as Dobby did, for freedom? Dumbledore would have been satisfied to have free house elves working at Hogwarts, but Dumbledore's gone. Once the shock of battle was over, would the house elves happily return to their kitchens, or would some seek freedom from the new Headmaster and change their arrangement to paid employment?

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Was it Filch who put the broken cabinet in there? I didn't get the impression that Filch even knew about the ROR. Did I miss that bit? I had the idea that the broken cabinet might have been put there by the House-proud House elves.

Filch knew about the room as he used to find cleaning supplies there when he ran out. That might be all he knew about it, though. The House Elves might very well have put the cabinet in there...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

Those House Elves were very happy with their jobs... I doubt that any of them looked for freedom...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Okay, this is the last one, for a while, anyway, I must get on with my Saturday chores.

So Neville becomes Herbology Professor (epilogue) Do we assume Prof. Sprout has retired? I've never heard of there being two professors in the same subject (other than the rather awkward situation with Sybil and Firenze, which was unavoidable). So if Neville is the Herbology Prof, who is now head of Hufflepuff? It's probably not Neville-most heads of house are required to live on the premises in boarding schools, and we know from Psychee's post on the book tour, that Neville and Hannah are living above the Leaky Cauldron. Also, I think that the Heads of House were generally in that house when they were students. This may not be an ironclad rule, but it seems to have worked that way-Minerva in Gryffindor, Snape and Slughorn both in Slytherin etc. Who do you think became Hufflepuff head, maybe Ernie MacMillan, or Justin Finch-Fletchly?

We don't know who the rest of the professors are... any of the new ones might be from Hufflepuff...
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Erm, well, Tonks was kind of, dead.

agnijay wrote:
Maybe it was Tonks. You never know. And who IS the new headmaster...I think I missed this.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think you and Psychee are right, most of the house elves were very content with their lot in life. And, compared with the Malfoy manor, Hogwarts was a pretty good place to work. Still, it was nice that they stayed and hob nobbed in the great hall for a while, rather than rushing right back down to the kitchens to cook.

ShadowCougar wrote:
I think most will just happily return to the kitchens.. it is what makes them happy...

Mollywobbles wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I had forgotten about Filch finding cleaning supplies in there. Right again Psychee. Still, I think it more likely that the house elves put the broken cabinet in the ROR, and that a house elf told Draco how to get in there. It may have been Dobby. Dobby, in spite of his free elf status, still had trouble letting go of his obligation to the Malfoy family. If Draco had cornered him, I expect Dobby would have told him about the ROR.

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:
Was it Filch who put the broken cabinet in there? I didn't get the impression that Filch even knew about the ROR. Did I miss that bit? I had the idea that the broken cabinet might have been put there by the House-proud House elves.

Filch knew about the room as he used to find cleaning supplies there when he ran out. That might be all he knew about it, though. The House Elves might very well have put the cabinet in there...

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Okay, this one occurred to me while washing windows-beautiful day here today.

In OOTP, Hermione puts a Protean charm on the fake galleons so Harry can set the date and time of the D.A. meetings. Only the numerals on the coin changed. Harry changed the "master" coin, and it, in turn, caused the other coins to change.

Hermione's spells were pretty durable-Marietta's sneak jinx was still in play at the start of the next year, and Umbridge couldn't reverse it.

In DH, Neville says he used the same coins to communicate with the old D.A..So how did he overcome Hermione's original Protean charm? And since Neville didn't have the "master" coin, how would it change the other coins?
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

This occurred to me while raking, it's actually two tiny questions.

Seamus Finnigan wasn't in the D.A. until the very last meeting, the one interrupted by Umbridge. Prior to that time, he had believed the reports in the Daily Prophet, that Harry was just a headline loving git. Only after the Quibbler article does Seamus come around and attend a D.A. meeting.

From what little we see of Seamus in class, he isn't particularly gifted-can't turn water into rum, has trouble with wingardium leviosa. Yet, in D.H., without having been part of the D.A. he produces a pretty nifty Patronus-a fox I think, while it took people in the D.A. from the beginning, quite a while to produce a "corporeal" patronus. Seamus seems to have picked up a lot in the months between the end of 6th year and the battle of Hogwarts. Did Neville, Luna and Ginny actively continue the D.A. I know they did graffitti (sp?) D.A., still recruiting, but were they actually instructing the rebels?

Second question-still raking- How did Oliver Wood end up in the ROR for the battle? He wasn't in the D.A. he had graduated. Is the answer just as simple as, he kept in touch with some of his old classmates and wanted to be in on the action? He hadn't experienced the nasty turn of events when Umbridge came to Hogwarts, Dumbledore's death etc. Who was he in touch with, Fred/George, Katie. I loved it that he came back...and, off topic, very briefly, I thought the actor who played him was just as cute as a bug's ear.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

This one, while scourgifying the litter boxes. It's the last one tonight, I promise, I'm off for a much needed bath.

Perhaps this came up in discussions after SS, but I wasn't here then. The name Grindelwald intrigues me. Has there been any discussion about the similarity to Grendel (Beowulf)? Wald, in german, just means forest, or woods. Durmstrang is supposed to be somewhere colder, the students have fur capes as part of their outfits. Is Grindelwald supposed to come from the same forest as Grendel?

That's it, off to the jacuzzi.
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Good guess Molly! I looked it up on the Lexicon website...

NAME ORIGINS :
First name meaning: May refer to Bishop Gellért of Budapest (980-1046) who was martyred in a pagan Magyar revolt against Christianity. A hill, cave and four-star hotel in Budapest are named for him.
Last name meaning: 'Grindelwald' is a small village in the Alps of Switzerland. The name could also refer to Grendel, the troll-like monster of the Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf. Jo pronounces Grindelwald's name “GRIN dell vald” (TLC pt. 3).
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I had forgotten about Filch finding cleaning supplies in there. Right again Psychee. Still, I think it more likely that the house elves put the broken cabinet in the ROR, and that a house elf told Draco how to get in there. It may have been Dobby. Dobby, in spite of his free elf status, still had trouble letting go of his obligation to the Malfoy family. If Draco had cornered him, I expect Dobby would have told him about the ROR.

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Might have been the case, Mollywobbles. I can't think of any reason why an elf (Dobby or any other) would not give him the answer to that question. I can't imagine it being a secret...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Okay, this one occurred to me while washing windows-beautiful day here today.

In OOTP, Hermione puts a Protean charm on the fake galleons so Harry can set the date and time of the D.A. meetings. Only the numerals on the coin changed. Harry changed the "master" coin, and it, in turn, caused the other coins to change.

Hermione's spells were pretty durable-Marietta's sneak jinx was still in play at the start of the next year, and Umbridge couldn't reverse it.

In DH, Neville says he used the same coins to communicate with the old D.A..So how did he overcome Hermione's original Protean charm? And since Neville didn't have the "master" coin, how would it change the other coins?

Maybe it didn't work with a "master" key system. Maybe if you change any one of the coins, the rest change. When they first started the system, though, Harry was in charge of setting the time of the meetings, so he would just change his own coin accordingly and no other member of the DA would screw the system up by setting another date on their own coins.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Umbridge and I.S. were able to get in because Cho's buddy told them about it. If they knew what to ask there was nothing keeping them out. Neville understood . . . he asked it not to open itself to anyone who supported you know who. . . .

Mollywobbles wrote:
Here's another one about the room of requirement (by the way, nobody has given me their opinion of what happened to the ROR after the fiendfyre)

In DH, Neville really "gets" the ROR-knows just what to ask to get the room to provide what he needs. When the students are holed up in there, with the access to the Hogshead, somebody stays in there all the time to keep the room doing what they need it to do.

But in OOTP, Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad are able to get into the ROR. I believe Pansy got in and picked up the list of members of the D.A. But, if the D.A. members had already fled, having been warned by Dobby, how did Pansy get in without knowing what to say to make the room appear? Was this just a timing thing-she got in while there was still a D.A.member on their way out?

And why, in HPB, is Trelawney able to open the room to hide her sherry bottles, while Draco is in there messing with the vanishing cabinet.?

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

same thing for Draco and Trelawny . . . he needed the junk room and so did Trelawny (a place to hide . . .) Draco didn't ask that no one be able to get in, he only asked for what he wnated