Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Thanks for doing that legwork, KreacherTeacher, I went back and read it too. The part about the dragon guarding the cup was, as you say, spot on, as was the tarnished tiara in the ROR.

Kreacherteacher wrote:
"Does anyone else find it kind of funny that Voldemort would be interested in a ring, a locket, and potentially a tiara...?" KPeterson quote from the thread The Horcruxes are Hidden"

Okay, in my search for a Beowulf thread on the entire B&N board, I came across this thread where psychee and allenctynimrod discuss Beowulf. But the above quote had me in stitches so I had to copy it here especially considering the whole DD is gay thread. In addition, I just want to add that you guys had it going on when it came to the guesswork. Your guesses were spot on when it came to the horcruxes. That was a fun thread to read.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Only one tiny question today, I promise-laundry and ironing to do-boring but necessary.

In DH, at the height of the battle, the ghosts from the headless hunt turn up and are charging around. Who told these "outside" ghosts that there was a battle going on? The ghosts can't really DO anything to contribute to the battle (although I suppose the castle ghosts could pass messages, or act as lookouts or something), but they can't actually fight. Did the headless hunt ghosts just hope to add to the confusion by rampaging around? I've also wondered if Sir Patrick-Delaney Podmore was an ancestor of Sturgis Podmore.
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

I believe they acted more as to scare and confuse. Like the oathbreakrs form LotR. They helped in the battle by scaring the orcs away.
On a wing and a prayer.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

That was my take on it too. I still wonder, however, how they found out that there was a battle going on. Perhaps ghosts have their own form of communication system, like the message patronus. As far as I know, none of the castle ghosts were members of the headless hunt-certainly not the resident house ghosts.

that's it, off to do laundry.

macross wrote:
I believe they acted more as to scare and confuse. Like the oathbreakrs form LotR. They helped in the battle by scaring the orcs away.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

We don't know how they actually communicate, but didn't Nearly Headless Nick have a letter from Perfectly Decapitated Podmore, telling him that he couldn't join the Headless Hunt Club? They must have some form of Ghost-Post, lol...

As for what they were doing... In addition to confusing and probably unnerving the enemy, which they could do by simply floating through people and giving them the cold shivers, they probably greatly added to the morale...

One question, though... might there have been ghosts who were sympathetic to the enemy that they had to fight?
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Are Dementors sorta of ghosts. Well there more like wraiths but still.

Message Edited by macross on 11-04-2007 05:13 PM
On a wing and a prayer.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Ghost-post! love it :smileyhappy:

I doubt Voldemort would have recruited ghosts, he wouldn't think very much of their ability to fight, or to be of use to him, but there may have been ghosts in the castle who might have been sympathetic. Still, I got the impression that ghosts who "lived" at Hogwarts, were loyal to the school above all else.

Psychee wrote:
We don't know how they actually communicate, but didn't Nearly Headless Nick have a letter from Perfectly Decapitated Podmore, telling him that he couldn't join the Headless Hunt Club? They must have some form of Ghost-Post, lol...

As for what they were doing... In addition to confusing and probably unnerving the enemy, which they could do by simply floating through people and giving them the cold shivers, they probably greatly added to the morale...

One question, though... might there have been ghosts who were sympathetic to the enemy that they had to fight?

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think Dementors are a seperate species, and they are alive, rather than being the imprint of a departed soul, as Snape describes them.

macross wrote:
Are Dementors sorta of ghosts. Well there more like wraiths but still.

Message Edited by macross on 11-04-2007 05:13 PM

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I know I promised only one little question today, but I watched the Philosophers Stone DVD while I was doing the ironing, and, well, something occurred to me...

It concerns the letters that students get when they are first notified of their acceptance to Hogwarts. In DH,in the pensieve memory, little Snape is telling little Lily that the letter would come by owl, but because she was muggle born, someone would come and explain it to her parents. Yet, in SS, Petunia just refers to Lily's letter.."oh, she got a letter just like that and disappeared off to that-that SCHOOL-and came home every vacation with her pockets full of frog spawn, turning teacups into rats.." So, did someone bring the letter to the Evans and explain that Lily was a witch? Or did the letter just arrive by Owl post? Could it have been Dumbledore who arrived to explain the fact that Lily was a witch to the Evans, and that is how Petunia knew who to contact? But how did she get a message to him?

As an aside, if Lily came home every vacation turning teacups into rats, why didn't the Ministry censure her-she was living in a muggle house?
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Maybe there was no need for censure then. Dunno. And girl, you need to relax. You can read/watch/think about Harry Potter without working you know? You make me nervous the way you work. You must be the queen of multitasking!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I know I promised only one little question today, but I watched the Philosophers Stone DVD while I was doing the ironing, and, well, something occurred to me...

It concerns the letters that students get when they are first notified of their acceptance to Hogwarts. In DH,in the pensieve memory, little Snape is telling little Lily that the letter would come by owl, but because she was muggle born, someone would come and explain it to her parents. Yet, in SS, Petunia just refers to Lily's letter.."oh, she got a letter just like that and disappeared off to that-that SCHOOL-and came home every vacation with her pockets full of frog spawn, turning teacups into rats.." So, did someone bring the letter to the Evans and explain that Lily was a witch? Or did the letter just arrive by Owl post? Could it have been Dumbledore who arrived to explain the fact that Lily was a witch to the Evans, and that is how Petunia knew who to contact? But how did she get a message to him?

As an aside, if Lily came home every vacation turning teacups into rats, why didn't the Ministry censure her-she was living in a muggle house?

Someone would have hand carried the letter to the Evans, explaining to the parents that Lily was a witch, etc. That person could have been Dumbledore, but I rather doubt it, because Dumbledore wasn't Headmaster when he brought the letter to Tom Riddle. It could have been McGonagall, for all we know. But the letter would have listed Dumbledore as the Headmaster, and Petunia would imagine that it would be up to the Headmaster to decide who could get in to the school.

So, she wrote the letter to Dumbledore, addressed it to Hogwarts School, and put a stamp on it and mailed it. Since Dumbledore received it, Snape thought that the Ministry must have people in the Post Office, who then took the letter and sent it on to Dumbledore. Dumbledore would have either sent the response back to Petunia via Owl Post or Muggle Post, but I'm guessing Owl post...

The other question was answered on JKR's website:

Q. In "Philosopher's Stone" Aunt Petunia says that Lily came back from Hogwarts with frog spawn in her pockets and turned teacups into rats. If this is true, why wasn't Lily expelled?

A. Aunt Petunia is exaggerating a little; you have to allow for her state of mind when she started shrieking these things. However, just like her son, Lily was not averse to testing the limits of the Statute of Secrecy, so you can safely assume she will have had a few warning letters – nothing too serious, though.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
Ok, starting to get the sneaky suspicion that Auror lives in my neck of the woods.

Auror_in_Training wrote:
Scouts! :smileyhappy: It was cool, I forgot my air mattress tho. We slept in the Ripley's Believe it or Not exhibit. We did the Sea World sleep over a couple of years ago! That was very cool too. We slept with the sharks - we just told people we were going to 'sleep with the fishes' :smileyhappy: We also spent the night at NASA one year. That was really neat too! We got to see the launch room from when the walked on the moon. We'd really like to go to Galveston and do a sleep over on the USS Lexington. I'd like to do a sleep over on the set of the next Harry Potter Movie!

tigerlilly wrote:
You spent the night there? Thats kinda strange, but very cool! I'm jealous. I spent the night at Sea World once; slept in the manatee exhibit. It was so great, they are such beautiful, graceful creatues. Maybe my patronus could be a manatee instead.

I'm in DalLAS area. . . someone was saying something about the Potter's house the other day was that you?
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

LoL Nope, and I was wrong.. we just happen to have Ripleys, Seaworld, and NASA here in Central Florida too.

Auror_in_Training wrote:

ShadowCougar wrote:
Ok, starting to get the sneaky suspicion that Auror lives in my neck of the woods.

Auror_in_Training wrote:
Scouts! :smileyhappy: It was cool, I forgot my air mattress tho. We slept in the Ripley's Believe it or Not exhibit. We did the Sea World sleep over a couple of years ago! That was very cool too. We slept with the sharks - we just told people we were going to 'sleep with the fishes' :smileyhappy: We also spent the night at NASA one year. That was really neat too! We got to see the launch room from when the walked on the moon. We'd really like to go to Galveston and do a sleep over on the USS Lexington. I'd like to do a sleep over on the set of the next Harry Potter Movie!

tigerlilly wrote:
You spent the night there? Thats kinda strange, but very cool! I'm jealous. I spent the night at Sea World once; slept in the manatee exhibit. It was so great, they are such beautiful, graceful creatues. Maybe my patronus could be a manatee instead.

I'm in DalLAS area. . . someone was saying something about the Potter's house the other day was that you?

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
0 Kudos

It was mee here in So Cali...I saw the Potters House in Perris CA. You wanna go next Sunday?
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

You know Wobbles, I've thought about that too and I think that possibly they've upped the regulations over the years. . . . You know the drinking age used to be 18 now it's 21; used to be able to drive with or without the safety of a belt, now it's mandatory, used to be able to use magic in the privacy of your own home muggles or not, now you can't . . . big brother always looking out for us. **** note the sarcasim *****

Mollywobbles wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
LOL . . . So funny, ShadowCougar is in Florida and thought I was there, you're in California and thought I was there. We're equally divided. I'm in Dallas; I thought Potter's house here was unique and exclusive to this area, I guess it's a chain. I don't know about California but, it's a huge church here, 1000's of members. But the first time I heard of it I thought about the HP connection.

LovelyLuna wrote:

It was mee here in So Cali...I saw the Potters House in Perris CA. You wanna go next Sunday?

Message Edited by Auror_in_Training on 11-05-2007 08:36 AM
Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:
LOL . . . So funny, ShadowCougar is in Florida and thought I was there, you're in California and thought I was there. We're equally divided. I'm in Dallas; I thought Potter's house here was unique and exclusive to this area, I guess it's a chain. I don't know about California but, it's a huge church here, 1000's of members. But the first time I heard of it I thought about the HP connection.

The Potter's House here is really tiny.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

Im confused. How is the Potter's house there?
On a wing and a prayer.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
LoL Nope, and I was wrong.. we just happen to have Ripleys, Seaworld, and NASA here in Central Florida too.

**shudders** florida....god, I can't stand the thought. Last time I was there I was SO sick. There is no accounting for my misery... eek. i shall never go back ever. never. not in a trillion years... **takes gulp of coffee** there wasn't even a bn within...dunno, i wasn't even thinking that at the time...

and i hate tampa. been there twice and there's just no appeal. (besides i'm not particularly fond of a certain boyfriend of a friend that lives there...)

gotta go. may see you guys later....
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Not the actual Potter House. It was in another thread where we named things we saw that were related things that were named after HP characters. In this case, there is a Potter House.

macross wrote:
Im confused. How is the Potter's house there?