Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I hate florida too, just haven't left yet.

ABI wrote:

ShadowCougar wrote:
LoL Nope, and I was wrong.. we just happen to have Ripleys, Seaworld, and NASA here in Central Florida too.

**shudders** florida....god, I can't stand the thought. Last time I was there I was SO sick. There is no accounting for my misery... eek. i shall never go back ever. never. not in a trillion years... **takes gulp of coffee** there wasn't even a bn within...dunno, i wasn't even thinking that at the time...

and i hate tampa. been there twice and there's just no appeal. (besides i'm not particularly fond of a certain boyfriend of a friend that lives there...)

gotta go. may see you guys later....

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Okay! Maybe someone has asked this but I missed it.. . . Was or Was not Stan Shunspike a deatheater???? Was he imperiused?
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

other question, again maybe covered earlier but I missed it. . . how was it that Moldy Voldy could fly with no assistance? It obviously wasn't a common gift since everyone seemed so shocked when they saw it for the 1st time.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

um, really not trying to be snarky.. but it was magic... rare powerful magic.

Auror_in_Training wrote:
other question, again maybe covered earlier but I missed it. . . how was it that Moldy Voldy could fly with no assistance? It obviously wasn't a common gift since everyone seemed so shocked when they saw it for the 1st time.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:
Okay! Maybe someone has asked this but I missed it.. . . Was or Was not Stan Shunspike a deatheater???? Was he imperiused?

He was Imperiused. Harry noticed his strange look as he was flying at him, that's why he tried to disarm him rather than doing anything that would cause him to die.

Stan was obviously released by the Death Eaters when they broke out of Azkaban at which time they probably "recruited" him against his will.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:

Yeah, this was new magic of a powerful kind. He taught it to Snape so Snape was able to fly out of the window of Hogwarts when he "took a break"...
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

I thought Snape could fly because he was an animagus and turned into a bat.
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Don't think so, he didn't transform, he just flew away, in Snape form-he made a "snape-shaped" hole in the window, and had "learned a few tricks from his master".

Auror_in_Training wrote:

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

No, that confoozing passage referred to his clothes billowing in a bat like manner as he flew.

Auror_in_Training wrote:

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
No, that confoozing passage referred to his clothes billowing in a bat like manner as he flew.

Auror_in_Training wrote:

"confoozing" lol...I know a guy who would classify that as the only word worth using in the english language.

And I forgot. I will actually be dragged back into the depths of Florida...in 2010, or whenever the theme park opens. I think we all will.

and this time i will take a plane...you wouldn't believe my friend I got to drive me home last time...omg, it took about forty eight hours from just outside of Tampa to Virginia, and we only stopped once. In the middle of no where. to sleep in the parking lot of a "waffle house" lol.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:

I was recently reading the history of Quidditch book (one of the little books Jo did for charity) and it has a little section on broomsticks, and it said that no one could fly without assistance...I guess Voldy figured it out. Lupin did say they were up against magic never before seen. What was that one spell...corpus mobilius...really fast combined with wingardium leviosa...along with speedius...I get the feeling especially from HBP that one could invent spells, if ones magical focus and intention were strong enough.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

No it says: 'Harry saw in the distance a huge, batlike shape flying through the darkness'
. . . batlike being one word . . . so it kind of leads you to believe.. . because you know if Severus Snape was going to be an animagus it would have to be a bat. I mean common :smileyhappy: I mean don't they usually reflect your personality?

ShadowCougar wrote:

Auror_in_Training wrote:

Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:

And I forgot. I will actually be dragged back into the depths of Florida...in 2010, or whenever the theme park opens. I think we all will.

and this time i will take a plane...you wouldn't believe my friend I got to drive me home last time...omg, it took about forty eight hours from just outside of Tampa to Virginia, and we only stopped once. In the middle of no where. to sleep in the parking lot of a "waffle house" lol.

Ha ha! Sleeping in the parking lot of a waffle house! I've had trips like that. Except it was at a REST STOP off some creepy highway in the middle of nowhere! I know, it sounds like the perfect beginning of a corny horror movie. Worst night of my life!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

tigerlilly wrote:
ABI wrote:

Ha ha! Sleeping in the parking lot of a waffle house! I've had trips like that. Except it was at a REST STOP off some creepy highway in the middle of nowhere! I know, it sounds like the perfect beginning of a corny horror movie. Worst night of my life!

I know, seriously. When I got home I literally collapsed. Refused to to anyone until I had had at least fourteen hrs of sleep.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:
No it says: 'Harry saw in the distance a huge, batlike shape flying through the darkness'
. . . batlike being one word . . . so it kind of leads you to believe.. . because you know if Severus Snape was going to be an animagus it would have to be a bat. I mean common :smileyhappy: I mean don't they usually reflect your personality?

ShadowCougar wrote:

Auror_in_Training wrote:

We know for a fact that Voldemort was himself, and not a bat Animagus, as he flew, as he was recognizable in the air when he attacked Harry.

When Snape later flew out of the castle with McGonagall looking at his retreating form, his cloaks made a batlike image, but he was flying just like Voldy, with only a wand. McGonagall even remarked that he must have learned that new trick from Voldemort.
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I wonder where Voldemort learned to fly without a broom, and, I have difficulty picturing him astride a broom. Something he picked up while mucking around in Albania? If he could show Snape how to do it, one wonders why other wizards didn't try to learn. Perhaps it was part of the dark magic stuff he explored, but it doesn't seem too sinister, flying without a broom, it's only because it Voldemort that it seems that way. It would certainly save on the cost of brooms.

br>

We know for a fact that Voldemort was himself, and not a bat Animagus, as he flew, as he was recognizable in the air when he attacked Harry.

When Snape later flew out of the castle with McGonagall looking at his retreating form, his cloaks made a batlike image, but he was flying just like Voldy, with only a wand. McGonagall even remarked that he must have learned that new trick from Voldemort.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ok, I would like to add, on previous posts about wizards able to do wonderful magic, cant even magic their robes to make them look better.

Theory: I think it also takes character in order to perform a certain kind of magic, I noticed this with gilderoy, whose specialty is the memory charm
He is pompous, self centered, and for lack of a better word an idiot.
He can’t do certain types of magic properly as everything in his books are simply stolen from other people’s doing. He cannot drive away the pixies in book 2 because although he knows the spell, doesn’t really have the courage to do it

Ron can’t perform magic properly because of his nerves.
Now I know there are certain spells that are not really long lasting . but I do believe it’s how wizard’s perceive themselves as well.

Even if a simple spell cast on a dress robe wouldn’t last , surely they can still re-perform the incantation and make it work again, like wingardium leviosa. Heck they can perform permanent stickin charms, they can do wonders on clothes, what’s madam malkin’s for if she can’t make wonderful robes through magic?

Bella told harry that in order to perform that cruciatus curse properly, he must really mean it. So a weak person cannot perform the spell as he wont have the courage and the means to do so.

I am posting this because its always a wonder how some wands are weaker than the others when they all can perform magic. Is it really the wand that holds the magic? Or is it the owner?
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

I think it's the owner that makes the real difference. Like if DD did't have the Elder Wand, he would still be a great wizard. Sure, a good wand helps, it makes it easier. But we know that a "good wand" is the one that best fits a particular wizard.

But, then again, when Harry's wand was broken, the replacement wands did not work well for him at all. So maybe the right wand does have a lot to do with it. Or maybe the reason those wands didn't work well for Harry was simply because some confidence was lost when his phoenix/holly wand was broken.
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think both, the wand however is a booster, it adds power. Because before they are 11 they are able to do all kinds of things like hide and re-appear on top of a bldg. that sounds like pretty serious stuff. Because after they get their wand they aren't allowed to do anything like that again until they are 17. I mean after they get their wands it's like they forgot they were able to do other stuff without the wand. That's why Harry doesn't get in trouble for blowing up Aunt Marge, it came from within him not the wand. Right?

Hermione's wand or the wand that Ron gave him didn't work very well because those were borrowed wands, the wands he won in a battle (Malfoy Manor) or in a dual worked fine, remember he defeated Moldy Voldy with Draco's wand. That's powerful stuff!

tigerlilly wrote:
I think it's the owner that makes the real difference. Like if DD did't have the Elder Wand, he would still be a great wizard. Sure, a good wand helps, it makes it easier. But we know that a "good wand" is the one that best fits a particular wizard.

But, then again, when Harry's wand was broken, the replacement wands did not work well for him at all. So maybe the right wand does have a lot to do with it. Or maybe the reason those wands didn't work well for Harry was simply because some confidence was lost when his phoenix/holly wand was broken.

Message Edited by Auror_in_Training on 11-07-2007 07:49 PM
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Here's a question: What ever happened to Florean Fortesque?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"