Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I think the person we really see mature is Ginny. She went from a little girl to a young lady to a woman, I could see the change in her I even felt the difference in the 19 yrs to the future, not so with Harry & Ron, they still seemed to maintain some youth. Probably since Ron is still acting like a kid . . . men! :smileywink:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Well let’s make hagrid as an example. He is considered as an adult but if you see how hro talks to him, it feels like they’re the same age or something,. They are of age because yes, in the wizarding world you’re an adult if you’re 17. however, the experiences they’ve had will determine how they will sound like. I thought Harry sounded older starting in book five. He became more serious, especially on that book as he’s just finding out all the truths about him. Plus VD possessing him doesn’t help either.
How old do you think I am? Let’s see.. haha!

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

I think DD had bulked up by book 6, in book 1 we were still feeling pretty safe!

Mollywobbles wrote:
While poking back through a couple of threads, I noticed a question raised, can't remember who asked it, sorry about that, but the question went unanswered...

There were loads of enchantments around Hogwarts to prevent people from coming and going at will-Dumbledore in HPB was seen making all sorts of wand movements to remove the enchantments so he and Harry could enter at speed on their brooms and land at the astronomy tower. The question was, if there were all these enchantments, how did Charlie Weasley's friends manage to get to the astronomy tower to pick up Norbert?

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Neville matures a lot too, from the terribly insecure youngster, browbeaten by his gran, mocked by Snape, unsure of his own magical skills, Neville turns into a leader. He openly defies Voldemort, and polishes off Nagini. Way to go Neville. I can imagine him being a wonderful Herbology teacher, first, because he loves his subject, and secondly because I think he would be very patient with his students.

Auror_in_Training wrote:
I think the person we really see mature is Ginny. br>

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Well let’s make hagrid as an example. He is considered as an adult but if you see how hro talks to him, it feels like they’re the same age or something,. They are of age because yes, in the wizarding world you’re an adult if you’re 17. however, the experiences they’ve had will determine how they will sound like. I thought Harry sounded older starting in book five. He became more serious, especially on that book as he’s just finding out all the truths about him. Plus VD possessing him doesn’t help either.
How old do you think I am? Let’s see.. haha!

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

The Snape fans are going to be apoplectic on Monday morning, unless someone posts on the weekend. The thread has dropped to page 2.

agnijay wrote:
I know! But not many people post there so much. I think we got Snape as analyzed as we can get him and we made specialized threads for everything discussed there.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Okay, brace yourself for my usual spate of silly Saturday questions. I'm going to post them seperately so I don't confuse myself, and, besides, it's a slow post day, only ABI and I appear to be here.

When Voldey AK's Harry in the forest, they both appear to have been knocked out. Harry ends up in King's Cross, but so does the flayed, naked, childlike thing, which I presume is Voldey's remaining soulbit. Was this "thing" having the same experience as Harry, in that it knew where it was, heard conversations etc, or was it so damaged all it felt was pain?

When Harry and Voldey return to the forest, what did Voldey think had happened...was it happening in his head too? Voldemort is wary of approaching Harry, and so sends Narcissa, so he must have had some kind of an experience during the time he was "out".
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

When Harry gets to King's Cross, he is naked and without his glasses-why? Is this simply to illustrate innocence, purity, whatever? The Voldey/childthingie is also naked.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

When Harry uses the resurection stone going into the forest, James, Lily, Lupin and Sirius immediately appear, and seem to know everything that is going on,right down to the fact that Harry was going in there to die. How did they know this? Did they have a pow wow with Dumbledore's spirit, who filled them in? Are we supposed to think that they had been watching over Harry all along and knew everything that was happening to him? I can maybe see this of Lily and James, following their deaths, but not Lupin and Sirius. I know these four aren't actually ghosts, Harry compares them more to the memory of Riddle that came out of the diary, but I can't think of a better word than ghost. When Sirius died, and then Lupin, did Lily and James meet up with them right away and catch up on old times? Still, nobody but Dumbledore knew the complete picture, unless ghosts just know things without being told.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Dumbledore said he intended for Snape to become the master of the elder wand, but that bit didn't work out according to plan. Still, if Snape had captured the Elder Wand, what was he supposed to do with it? For Harry to become the master of death, he would have had to have captured the wand from Snape, and have had the other hallows. Did Dumbledore feel a confrontation between Harry and Snape was inevitable? Did Dumbledore figure that Voldemort would get the wand from Snape, and then, in turn, face Harry? If so, did Dumbledore plan on sacrificing Snape to Voldey too in order to complete the transfer of the elder wand?
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Last silly Saturday question, I think, and it's probably a pretty silly one.

When Harry is going into the forest to die, he does a Lumos under the cloak to look at the resurrection stone. He does it under the cloak so the death eaters won't see him before he is ready. So, the Lumos light doesn't escape from under the cloak. Yet after Harry comes to life again, he is firing various spells from under the cloak to protect the Hogwarts defenders-nobody sees him doing this. So was he firing THROUGH the cloak, or out from underneath it? In other words, if the Lumos light didn't get through the cloak, how did Harry's spells penetrate? If, of course, he was firing off the spells from UNDERNEATH the cloak, his wand, and probably his hand would have been visible-how come nobody noticed a disembodied hand and wand shooting off spells? Were they just too busy looking at the other action going on, and so, never noticed?
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

When Harry is going into the forest to die, he does a Lumos under the cloak to look at the resurrection stone. He does it under the cloak so the death eaters won't see him before he is ready. So, the Lumos light doesn't escape from under the cloak. Yet after Harry comes to life again, he is firing various spells from under the cloak to protect the Hogwarts defenders-nobody sees him doing this. So was he firing THROUGH the cloak, or out from underneath it? In other words, if the Lumos light didn't get through the cloak, how did Harry's spells penetrate? If, of course, he was firing off the spells from UNDERNEATH the cloak, his wand, and probably his hand would have been visible-how come nobody noticed a disembodied hand and wand shooting off spells? Were they just too busy looking at the other action going on, and so, never noticed?

I wouldn't think they noticed. And by the time they realized a spell had been cast, Harry would have his hand back under the cloak.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Okay...maybe this is a dumb question, it may have been answered in the books and maybe I'm just forgetting. Wouldn't be the first time. I've asked it before, but I'm really curious now...What happened to Florean Fortesque? Are we supposed to assume he's dead? Am I missing or forgetting someting?
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

tigerlilly wrote:
Okay...maybe this is a dumb question, it may have been answered in the books and maybe I'm just forgetting. Wouldn't be the first time. I've asked it before, but I'm really curious now...What happened to Florean Fortesque? Are we supposed to assume he's dead? Am I missing or forgetting someting?

You haven't missed anything, tigerlilly. This question was never answered. You get to choose your own fate for the fellow. I like to think he went into hiding after fending off the attack and re-surfaced after Voldemort was dead.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

I believe we are meant to believe that the power of spells can penetrate the fibers of the cloak, but the light produced by those spells will not show as the spell is cast. The light that continues outside the cloak along the spell line WOULD be visible, but in the melee of battle, with everyone moving about, no one would have the time to figure out where the spell came from.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Dumbledore said he intended for Snape to become the master of the elder wand, but that bit didn't work out according to plan. Still, if Snape had captured the Elder Wand, what was he supposed to do with it? For Harry to become the master of death, he would have had to have captured the wand from Snape, and have had the other hallows. Did Dumbledore feel a confrontation between Harry and Snape was inevitable? Did Dumbledore figure that Voldemort would get the wand from Snape, and then, in turn, face Harry? If so, did Dumbledore plan on sacrificing Snape to Voldey too in order to complete the transfer of the elder wand?

Dumbledore never actually intended for Snape to be the MASTER of the Elder Wand. Killing Dumbledore at Dumbledore's request would not have transferred the power of the wand to Snape, because it was not a defeat. The wand's extra power would die with Dumbledore. That part didn't work out, though, because prior to that point, Draco defeated Dumbledore.

Dumbledore only meant for Voldemort to believe that Snape had mastery of the wand.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I'm just wondering, who KNEW about the cloak? Harry, Hermionie, Ron, Luna, Ginny (I think), Dumbledore, the Maurderers and Snape. Anyone else? Oh, and Mad Eye and Hagrid and Crouch JR.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
When Harry uses the resurection stone going into the forest, James, Lily, Lupin and Sirius immediately appear, and seem to know everything that is going on,right down to the fact that Harry was going in there to die. How did they know this? Did they have a pow wow with Dumbledore's spirit, who filled them in? Are we supposed to think that they had been watching over Harry all along and knew everything that was happening to him? I can maybe see this of Lily and James, following their deaths, but not Lupin and Sirius. I know these four aren't actually ghosts, Harry compares them more to the memory of Riddle that came out of the diary, but I can't think of a better word than ghost. When Sirius died, and then Lupin, did Lily and James meet up with them right away and catch up on old times? Still, nobody but Dumbledore knew the complete picture, unless ghosts just know things without being told.

I think of James et al as guardian angels, who overlook everything that is going on in Harry's life and have the omniscient knowledge of such spirits.

In addition, I think of them as living in an alternate dimension, but one that allows them to see everything that happens in our dimension.

The Resurrection Stone calls the spirits to be near the stone and allows the user to interact with those spirits while they remain in that alternate dimension.

While the Stone is being used, those spirits have to stay near the Stone, which is a kind of imprisonment if the spirit doesn't also desire to be there. In the case of James et al, they wanted to be with Harry to support him and they probably remained nearby throughout the battle even though he could no longer see them after he dropped the Stone. However, the Stone's power could be misused by others, trapping such spirits near the holder of the stone and preventing them from having a full Afterlife....
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
When Harry gets to King's Cross, he is naked and without his glasses-why? Is this simply to illustrate innocence, purity, whatever? The Voldey/childthingie is also naked.

I think the nakedness was meant to convey "nothingness" -- that Harry entered a blank canvas in his mind which only started to take shape as his mind got to the work of imagining it... So, the first thoughts he had were along the lines of "Am I dead?" and "Is the Horcrux dead?". He tested his sensations (could feel the floor underneath him, for example) to try to answer the first question, and the Voldie-thing, which looked a lot like that thing that was put in the cauldron in GoF, was an answer to the second question. It was as if the powers of the "Other Side" were responding to his questions, but could only convey that knowledge to Harry using images that were created out of bits of stuff in his own brain...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
When Voldey AK's Harry in the forest, they both appear to have been knocked out. Harry ends up in King's Cross, but so does the flayed, naked, childlike thing, which I presume is Voldey's remaining soulbit. Was this "thing" having the same experience as Harry, in that it knew where it was, heard conversations etc, or was it so damaged all it felt was pain?

When Harry and Voldey return to the forest, what did Voldey think had happened...was it happening in his head too? Voldemort is wary of approaching Harry, and so sends Narcissa, so he must have had some kind of an experience during the time he was "out".

I believe that that "thing" was only a mental representation of Voldy's soulbit, an image given to Harry so that he could know that it was no longer attached to him. The soulbit was not "there" in reality, though it was probably suffering just as it appeared to be. It would not have heard the conversation between Harry and Dumbledore.

Voldemort, I believe, was just knocked out by the part of his AK curse that refused to hurt Harry himself. I don't think he experienced anything beyond a brief unconsciousness; the power was not deadly; his soul was not brought to that place between Life and Death as Harry's had been.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:
I'm just wondering, who KNEW about the cloak? Harry, Hermionie, Ron, Luna, Ginny (I think), Dumbledore, the Maurderers and Snape. Anyone else? Oh, and Mad Eye and Hagrid and Crouch JR.

The Deatheaters all knew about the cloak; remember when the trio apparated into Hogsmeade and one them yelled something like "It's him! Under his Invisibility Cloak!"
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think thats cuz Voldy knew about it. But I'm talking about before the seventh book. When VOldy wasn't theoretically minister.

Message Edited by agnijay on 11-11-2007 06:19 PM
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.