Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Mollywobbles wrote:
This reminds me of another error in one of the first four movies-what else is new? In the intro, Harry is shown reading school books under the covers at Privet Dr. and using Lumos to read by...he would have been caught, don't you think?

Yes, that was a HUGE error in the movie!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Do goblins have powers? They don’t right? Don’t shoot me but I don’t like Goblins especially the one we most hate wobbles. Griphook.

Yes, they are magical beings, but aside from having the ability to metalsmith magical objects, we don't know what powers they have or what they are capable of...
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

Oh and they are quick to anger and can open any lock.
On a wing and a prayer.
New User
SayThisSayThat
0 Kudos

Your right, the Trace is on the Underage Witch or Wizard, but it also detects magic around them, not just what they do. Because like you said, it is what magic that is being DONE, not by WHO is doing it. Fred and George did use magic, when they made there, pranks and jokes, there is ALWAYS magic at the Burrow, always around them so the Ministry can't tell who is doing it.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

See its unfair (moviemakers I mean)
The hp movies… so much of the necessary details that make hp beautiful was scratched off –it simply doesn’t give justice to my favorite series.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Had to go to page 2 to ressurect this...

I'm still wondering about Voldemort's body, corpse actually. I know we've discussed it elsewhere, but can't find it at the moment.

When Voldemort tried to AK Harry and got zapped by his rebounding spell, I get the impression there was no corpse left behind. The impression is just from the way Hagrid spoke in SS..out there, too weak to carry on etc. I would have thought that if there was a corpse left behind, the Ministry would have publicized the fact widely.

Other people who were AKd (Cedric for example) left a corpse behind. When Voldemort is zapped at the end of DH by his rebounding spell, there is a corpse (they put it in a different room from the good guy bodies). Did the fact that Voldemort had horcruxes in place cause the difference in what happened to his remains? If you have horcruxes, you become vapormort, if not, as at the end of DH, you just become a corpse?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

I'm still wondering about Voldemort's body, corpse actually. I know we've discussed it elsewhere, but can't find it at the moment.

When Voldemort tried to AK Harry and got zapped by his rebounding spell, I get the impression there was no corpse left behind. The impression is just from the way Hagrid spoke in SS..out there, too weak to carry on etc. I would have thought that if there was a corpse left behind, the Ministry would have publicized the fact widely.

Other people who were AKd (Cedric for example) left a corpse behind. When Voldemort is zapped at the end of DH by his rebounding spell, there is a corpse (they put it in a different room from the good guy bodies). Did the fact that Voldemort had horcruxes in place cause the difference in what happened to his remains? If you have horcruxes, you become vapormort, if not, as at the end of DH, you just become a corpse?

I'm still under the impression that a corpse WAS left behind, as I can think of no other way that anyone would believe that he had died. Also, the Horcruxes were just able, I thought, to protect the person's soul from crossing over; I don't see how they could protect a person's body at all.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I know, this bothers me too. Yet Hagrid speaks as if Voldemort is still out there. Why would he say that if he had seen a body? Hagrid was amongst the first, if not the first, on the scene at Godric's Hollow, and presumably if there had been a Voldeybody, it would have been close to baby Harry-wouldn't Hagrid have seen it? I suppose it could have been buried in the ruins of the house, but I still think Hagrid would have seen it in his search for baby Harry. Hagrid didn't know about Horcruxes and vapormort-I think if he had seen a body, he would have assumed Voldemort was dead.

As to how people would assume Voldey was gone without a body-I thought perhaps the scar on baby Harry's head was the clincher. Hagrid says something like it's no ordinary scar, it was left by an evil curse gone wrong, or something like that. Again, we come to the missing hours. Who saw baby Harry besides Hagrid, Sirius, Dumbledore and Minerva? How did the wizarding world at large know about the scar?

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

I'm still under the impression that a corpse WAS left behind, as I can think of no other way that anyone would believe that he had died. Also, the Horcruxes were just able, I thought, to protect the person's soul from crossing over; I don't see how they could protect a person's body at all.

Contributor
bookluvr4895
0 Kudos

I have a few Q's of my own:
1. what happened to Luna Lovegood and her dad?
2. What about the Dursley's? Where did they go and did Harry ever see them after Voldemore was gone?
3. And my last Q: What about Professer McGonnagal? *I'm So sorry for spelling her name wrong.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER, THE BOY THAT LIVED! EDWARD AND BELLA BELONG TOGETHER! MASSIE IS THE RULER OF THE CLIQUE! GOSSIP GIRL IS AWESOME!
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

Ok well for the first question luna because naturalist where she discovered many new species of animals. and later she married Rolf Scamander and then had two sons. sorry i don't know about her dad.
the second i don't know where they went but i do know that after Voldy was gone Harry did visit Dudley from time to time and they sent each other a card very chirstmas.
an third McGonagall became headmistress after everything was over and retired by the time Harry's second son went to school.
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles, I figured that Hagrid saw the body, but that he was so close to Dumbledore that when Dumbledore told people that he believed that Voldemort's soul was still around to come back another day, he believed him. All of the DE's had been told by Voldy that he was immortal as well... so it all came down to a question of faith..

I could be totally wrong about all this, of course!
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

YOU, TOTALLY WRONG? NEVER HAPPEN!:smileyhappy:

I can believe Hagrid accepting what Dumbledore says,and I agree, a body would have been convincing to the Ministry-but I guess the Ministry didn't agree that there was a possibility Voldemort would be able to return-and of course, nobody wanted to think it was possible, but wouldn't Dumbledore have conveyed the same suspicion about Voldemort to the Ministry?.

So, it must mean that in that early rise to power, Dumbledore had figured Voldemort had found some way to become immortal. We know Dumbledore doesn't suspect multiple Horcruxes until COS and the diary. The only clues I can think of that would suggest Dumbledore suspected a horcrux when Harry was a baby would be if Snape, after the conversion, had related Voldemort's comments about going down that path to immortality; the only other clue I can think of was in the pensieve scene when Riddle is applying for the teaching post and makes some reference to the things he had been doing-pushing the boundaries as it were-and Dumbledore says he has heard some of what Riddle had been doing. Do we know when Dumbledore removed the "horcrux" books from the library?

Psychee wrote:
Mollywobbles, I figured that Hagrid saw the body, but that he was so close to Dumbledore that when Dumbledore told people that he believed that Voldemort's soul was still around to come back another day, he believed him. All of the DE's had been told by Voldy that he was immortal as well... so it all came down to a question of faith..

I could be totally wrong about all this, of course!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

I can believe Hagrid accepting what Dumbledore says,and I agree, a body would have been convincing to the Ministry-but I guess the Ministry didn't agree that there was a possibility Voldemort would be able to return-and of course, nobody wanted to think it was possible, but wouldn't Dumbledore have conveyed the same suspicion about Voldemort to the Ministry?.

So, it must mean that in that early rise to power, Dumbledore had figured Voldemort had found some way to become immortal. We know Dumbledore doesn't suspect multiple Horcruxes until COS and the diary. The only clues I can think of that would suggest Dumbledore suspected a horcrux when Harry was a baby would be if Snape, after the conversion, had related Voldemort's comments about going down that path to immortality; the only other clue I can think of was in the pensieve scene when Riddle is applying for the teaching post and makes some reference to the things he had been doing-pushing the boundaries as it were-and Dumbledore says he has heard some of what Riddle had been doing. Do we know when Dumbledore removed the "horcrux" books from the library?

Dumbledore WOULD have conveyed the same thing to the Ministry, but the Ministry probably chose not to believe him.

Hermione thought that Dumbledore removed the Horcrux books from the library when he became Headmaster -- which was after Voldemort left.

I think Dumbledore first suspected that Voldemort had made a Horcrux when he saw that Riddle's features were changing... The diary, added to the boasts of Voldy's followers that Voldy was immortal (they wouldn't keep that secret -- it had terror value) just confirmed that suspicion, I think, and added the suspicion that there were more than one made (as you said).
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

So the first time there would have been a noticeable change in Riddle's features was when he applied for the teaching post, after having mucked around in Albania for what, ten years? So you think at this point, Dumbledore began to suspect Riddle had made at least one horcrux?

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Dumbledore WOULD have conveyed the same thing to the Ministry, but the Ministry probably chose not to believe him.

Hermione thought that Dumbledore removed the Horcrux books from the library when he became Headmaster -- which was after Voldemort left.

I think Dumbledore first suspected that Voldemort had made a Horcrux when he saw that Riddle's features were changing... The diary, added to the boasts of Voldy's followers that Voldy was immortal (they wouldn't keep that secret -- it had terror value) just confirmed that suspicion, I think, and added the suspicion that there were more than one made (as you said).

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
So the first time there would have been a noticeable change in Riddle's features was when he applied for the teaching post, after having mucked around in Albania for what, ten years? So you think at this point, Dumbledore began to suspect Riddle had made at least one horcrux?

Yes. Remember also that at that point Dumbledore had been hearing things from unknown people about what Voldemort had been doing while he was away... we never found out what he had learned, but he had said that he would be sad to learn that even half was true.. there might have been a few clues there as well.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Yes, I remember that. When Riddle said he was surprised at the extent of Dumbledore's information, Dumbledore said he just happened to be on good terms with the landlord of the tavern-so perhaps Aberforth had overheard some information too, and passed it along.

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Yes. Remember also that at that point Dumbledore had been hearing things from unknown people about what Voldemort had been doing while he was away... we never found out what he had learned, but he had said that he would be sad to learn that even half was true.. there might have been a few clues there as well.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Hm, I realize you were referring to Dumbledore's possible correspondence with foreign wizards who might have related what they had heard of Riddle's activities abroad. I was thinking of what the death eaters at the Hog's Head might have blurted out while supping ale.

I don't know why I am so intent on delving into the subject of Voldemort's corpse, perhaps because I've gotten used to thinking of him as Vapormort during that time.

Mollywobbles wrote:
Yes, I remember that. When Riddle said he was surprised at the extent of Dumbledore's information, Dumbledore said he just happened to be on good terms with the landlord of the tavern-so perhaps Aberforth had overheard some information too, and passed it along.

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

This whole discussion, Mollywobbles, is all theoretical. The truth is that we just don't know because JKR didn't tell us. She could do an interview tomorrow and tell people that when Voldy tried to AK baby Harry and his soul became vapor, his body was vaporized, too, and no body was left behind. Then I would have to revisit all my conjectures and figure out where I went wrong...

To tell you the truth, I'm still rather shell shocked to learn that she didn't think through those 24 hours as carefully as we had assumed and that she now has to go back and fill in the gaps... it's possible that she never thought about Voldy's body at all!
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Psychee just another theory from my own thought processes I thought perhaps Sirius in his rage over the death of his friends destroyed LVs body before anything could be done with it. We know he was on scene since Hagrid did ended up riding his motorcycle to the Dursleys and we know that Sirius for all his good qualities is a highly emotional and rash person....JMO but he could've destroyed LVs body thinking to send a message to several DEs Wormtail included.

Message Edited by allenctynimrod on 01-07-2008 09:00 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

allenctynimrod wrote:
Psychee just another theory from my own thought processes I thought perhaps Sirius in his rage over the death of his friends destroyed LVs body before anything could be done with it. We know he was on scene since Hagrid did ended up riding his motorcycle to the Dursleys and we know that Sirius for all his good qualities is a highly emotional and rash person....JMO but he could've destroyed LVs body thinking to send a message to several DEs Wormtail included.

Message Edited by allenctynimrod on 01-07-2008 09:00 PM

That's surely another possibility!