Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
Posts: 3,373
Registered: ‎07-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Good enough for me! wait, it hought Lily’s protection wasn’t the cae anymore, since Harry left privet drive therefore no longer a “HOME” and he already turned 17? =
Anyway, on the forrest scene. Harry does not defend himself, right? Elder wand does not work well for voldy, im not sure I understand why he ‘passed out’ (not sure how to word it, but you know what I mean) was it because he was becoming weaker as he just killed his ‘second to the last’ horcrux? At least that’s what I think
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Well, I'm not sure about this, but here goes. The protections that were on Privet Dr. did cease when Harry turned 17, but he and Voldey still shared Lily's blood which tethered them together. This is what, I think, gave Harry the choice in Kings cross of going back, or moving on-he was linked to life because Voldey was still alive with Lily's blood in him.

Again, I don't know why Voldey conked out in the forest, but I'm kind of thinking it was like the kickback from a rifle, which can knock you flat on your fanny. When Voldey AKs Harry, I expect the elder wand wasn't performing properly against its master, and kickedback into Voldey. He may have simply been knocked over by the force of the thing and a little dazed. We get no sense of the passage of time, so the interval when Harry was in King's Cross could have been a matter of seconds. I think the difference is that because Harry didn't defend himself, and absorbed the AK, there was just this "kickback" which Voldey experienced. In the final showdown, Voldey's AK and Harry's Expelliarmus collided causing Voldey's own AK to rebound on himself.

I think as long as there was one horcrux out there, Voldey would be able to return. I think it was just the kickback of the Elder Wand that caused Voldey to fall down and go boom.

What bothers me about the elder wand is the fact that it AKs Harry in the forest at all. In the final showdown, Harry says that the Elder Wand won't kill its master, yet it kind of did, didn't it? I mean, I know Dumbledore says "Voldemort failed to kill you with my wand", but if Harry had chosen to "get on the train" wouldn't he have been dead?



mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Good enough for me! wait, it hought Lily’s protection wasn’t the cae anymore, since Harry left privet drive therefore no longer a “HOME” and he already turned 17? =
Anyway, on the forrest scene. Harry does not defend himself, right? Elder wand does not work well for voldy, im not sure I understand why he ‘passed out’ (not sure how to word it, but you know what I mean) was it because he was becoming weaker as he just killed his ‘second to the last’ horcrux? At least that’s what I think


Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
Posts: 3,373
Registered: ‎07-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I know you’re hating on JKR . I dunno if these are mistakes or simply one her writing tricks to keep us talking about HP! Anyway im cool with it,.
You’re explanation’s fair enough, although I can say that 7 horcruxes was too much,
Voldy’s power is very much intact btu his soul is fractured. Don’t we see that on most movies about witchcraft? Wizards obsessed about power keeps their powers while their bodies deteriorate? I thought it was something like that when I read it. Once the 6th horcrux was destroyed voldy’s soul was simply becoming ‘weaker and weaker’ . so harry not defending himself with voldy’s soul inside him got the full blast of the AK which made voldy’s butt go kaboom. But your explanation is also possible about the kickback from the elder wand.

About your question.. here goes.
Since the voldy soul in harry got AK’s and died, we can say a part of Harry died too.
So its like being handcuffed with your bestfriend, you both got into jail although its just her fault, so you’re both sentenced, and you’re in jail too. Kinda like that. :smileysurprised:
Harry was “dead” too .. a part of him was…
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Mollywobbles, that's a good question! My guess is that whatever the Elder Wand did to Harry himself (as opposed to the Horcrux inside him) was not painful and not permanent, and that if Harry had chosen to "go on", that would have been his choice and not something that the Elder wand did to him. I suggest this because the Elder Wand did throw him around like a puppet, but did not cause him pain, when Voldy was checking to see if he was dead... But I admit, I'm reaching on this!

Mrs RW, I agree with Mollywobbles about Voldy just getting a bit of a backfire from the wand. He was just knocked out and I don't believe that he himself experienced any "King's Cross" type things while he was unconscious. The backfire would have been caused, I think, by the fact that the full power of the AK he sent out against Harry did not go into Harry -- but enough went into the Horcrux inside of Harry to siphon off some of its power. Consequently, only a non-deadly portion of the power reflected back to Voldemort, rendering him unconscious.

And back to the discussion of Voldy's body from the first war... Mollywobbles, your points are good ones... no matter who the Minister was at that time, he most assuredly would want to reassure people that they were now safe and a body might have done that. But given that Dumbledore didn't believe that Voldy was really dead, that body (if it existed) would have given people the wrong message. It would have told people that he was dead when he really wasn't. That, in turn, makes me think that Dumbledore might have had a hand in destroying the body... but I don't have a clue when he might have done that!
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Yeah I agree with Psychee's "guess"), death is not something you have a choice in. Harry had that choice. So...I suppose...it doesn't count, lol?

Also, I'd like to say.. Psychee, this is DUMBLEDORE. I can completely imagine him finding the body, destroying it and getting on with it. I don't know how or when either, but it doesn't seem at all impossible. He might have thought it necessary, like doing away with Plague victims, haha. Perhaps he was cautious, still, of LV's power, that maybe his body might do more harm than The Ministry officials would assume. Or that it would be easier, on returning, for LV to enter his old body, salvaged by Death Eaters (and I'm exiting any guesses w/ evidence to back them up, but humor me, please), than to start anew with the entire "Harry's blood" rigamarole. I don't know. The guy split his soul seven ways. Anything is possible, his body might as well have retained a shard of that soul that we didn't know about. That was destroyed by wonderful DD! Okay. I'm getting away with myself here, but imagine the possibilities that arise... I don't pretend to know half of what DD and LV must have... But overall I think that Dumbledore destroyed the body sounds plausible, and certainly a good idea considering, well, considering LV.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I dont "hate on" Rowling, MrsRW, I'm just trying to answer your question, and posing one of my own. I also don't know that this is a "mistake", I'm just trying to understand the properties of the elder wand and why it behaved the way it did...tsk tsk, MrsRW. :smileysad:

Voldey's soul was a lot more fractured than just by the horcruxes he made, intentionally or accidentally. He killed loads of other people which also fractured his soul-he just wanted to make 6 Horcruxes because 7 was a magical number. Voldey had the skill to manufacture new bodies, or possess other people's bodies, so I don't think deterioration of the flesh was a big deal for him. The idea all along was that when all the horcruxes were gone, Voldey would be mortal and could be killed, hence the need to get rid of those pesky horcruxes before the final battle.



mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I know you’re hating on JKR . I dunno if these are mistakes or simply one her writing tricks to keep us talking about HP! Anyway im cool with it,.
You’re explanation’s fair enough, although I can say that 7 horcruxes was too much,
Voldy’s power is very much intact btu his soul is fractured. Don’t we see that on most movies about witchcraft? Wizards obsessed about power keeps their powers while their bodies deteriorate? I thought it was something like that when I read it. Once the 6th horcrux was destroyed voldy’s soul was simply becoming ‘weaker and weaker’ . so harry not defending himself with voldy’s soul inside him got the full blast of the AK which made voldy’s butt go kaboom. But your explanation is also possible about the kickback from the elder wand.

About your question.. here goes.
Since the voldy soul in harry got AK’s and died, we can say a part of Harry died too.
So its like being handcuffed with your bestfriend, you both got into jail although its just her fault, so you’re both sentenced, and you’re in jail too. Kinda like that. :smileysurprised:
Harry was “dead” too .. a part of him was…


Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

The damage inflicted on Harry by the Elder Wand had to be sufficient to put him in a near death state, wouldn't you say, otherwise he wouldn't have ended up in King's Cross. I like the explanation that the majority of the blast from the EW was absorbed by the soulbit-perhaps the EW targeted that part because it wasn't part of its master. That would definitely explain why Harry's body was damaged, but the Voldeybit was killed.

Interesting thought about Dumbledore possibly "vanishing" Voldey's first corpse. It would fit with the whole grand scheme Dumbledore had, suspecting as he did that Voldemort had made at least one horcrux at that point. So, if I follow this theory, Dumbledore vanishes the voldeycorpse, and tells the Ministry that Voldey is gone, but may be back. Sounds good. I want to think about this a little more, but I'm liking it.



Psychee wrote:
Mollywobbles, that's a good question! My guess is that whatever the Elder Wand did to Harry himself (as opposed to the Horcrux inside him) was not painful and not permanent, and that if Harry had chosen to "go on", that would have been his choice and not something that the Elder wand did to him. I suggest this because the Elder Wand did throw him around like a puppet, but did not cause him pain, when Voldy was checking to see if he was dead... But I admit, I'm reaching on this!

Mrs RW, I agree with Mollywobbles about Voldy just getting a bit of a backfire from the wand. He was just knocked out and I don't believe that he himself experienced any "King's Cross" type things while he was unconscious. The backfire would have been caused, I think, by the fact that the full power of the AK he sent out against Harry did not go into Harry -- but enough went into the Horcrux inside of Harry to siphon off some of its power. Consequently, only a non-deadly portion of the power reflected back to Voldemort, rendering him unconscious.

And back to the discussion of Voldy's body from the first war... Mollywobbles, your points are good ones... no matter who the Minister was at that time, he most assuredly would want to reassure people that they were now safe and a body might have done that. But given that Dumbledore didn't believe that Voldy was really dead, that body (if it existed) would have given people the wrong message. It would have told people that he was dead when he really wasn't. That, in turn, makes me think that Dumbledore might have had a hand in destroying the body... but I don't have a clue when he might have done that!


Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I've been thinking about whether or not Dumbledore might have destroyed Voldemort's corpse, if there was one, after the first war. I liked it at first, because of the reasons you mention. I've gone off the idea on further reflection, however. For Dumbledore to have destroyed, or made Voldemort's body vanish, he would have had to have been on the scene in GH very quickly. Dumbledore certainly could have done this by apparating to the cottage, but would Dumbledore have vanished voldey's corpse and left baby Harry in the ruins of the cottage? It seems unlikely to me. While I wouldn't put anything past Dumbledore later on when he started hatching his schemes, I don't think at this point he could have completely figured out that Harry was the key to the possible destruction of Voldemort, in spite of the prophecy. I imagine baby Harry was yelling his head off in the rubble, and I doubt Dumbledore would have just left him there.

I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board for me on the subject of the voldeycorpse.

br>
And back to the discussion of Voldy's body from the first war... Mollywobbles, your points are good ones... no matter who the Minister was at that time, he most assuredly would want to reassure people that they were now safe and a body might have done that. But given that Dumbledore didn't believe that Voldy was really dead, that body (if it existed) would have given people the wrong message. It would have told people that he was dead when he really wasn't. That, in turn, makes me think that Dumbledore might have had a hand in destroying the body... but I don't have a clue when he might have done that!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway



Mollywobbles wrote:
I've been thinking about whether or not Dumbledore might have destroyed Voldemort's corpse, if there was one, after the first war. I liked it at first, because of the reasons you mention. I've gone off the idea on further reflection, however. For Dumbledore to have destroyed, or made Voldemort's body vanish, he would have had to have been on the scene in GH very quickly. Dumbledore certainly could have done this by apparating to the cottage, but would Dumbledore have vanished voldey's corpse and left baby Harry in the ruins of the cottage? It seems unlikely to me. While I wouldn't put anything past Dumbledore later on when he started hatching his schemes, I don't think at this point he could have completely figured out that Harry was the key to the possible destruction of Voldemort, in spite of the prophecy. I imagine baby Harry was yelling his head off in the rubble, and I doubt Dumbledore would have just left him there.

I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board for me on the subject of the voldeycorpse.

br>



Why would he have to do anything with the corpse before Harry was picked up? There were two other corpses there at the time as well, Lily and James... he might have done whatever with Voldy's corpse at the same time he took care of the Potters' burial, couldn't he?
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

I thought that the theory was that Dumbledore may have had a hand in making Voldey's corpse disappear from GH so that the ministry wouldn't be lulled into thinking Voldey was gone for good. I thought that meant the body was gone before the ministry folks started poking around, which was apparently pretty soon after the explosion at the cottage. If the ministry people saw the body, if there was one, wouldn't Dumbledore have had a harder time convincing them that the danger still existed?

I guess, corpse or no corpse, everybody believed Voldey was gone because the night Harry was delivered to Privet Drive, there were celebrations going on.

On a slightly ghoulish note, I have a mental image of Voldey's original corpse on display in the ministry rotunda, proof positive that he was deader than a doornail. This obviously didn't happen :smileyhappy:





Psychee wrote:


br>



Why would he have to do anything with the corpse before Harry was picked up? There were two other corpses there at the time as well, Lily and James... he might have done whatever with Voldy's corpse at the same time he took care of the Potters' burial, couldn't he?

Frequent Contributor
hihi
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎06-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

[ Edited ]

Mollywobbles wrote:
I thought that the theory was that Dumbledore may have had a hand in making Voldey's corpse disappear from GH so that the ministry wouldn't be lulled into thinking Voldey was gone for good. I thought that meant the body was gone before the ministry folks started poking around, which was apparently pretty soon after the explosion at the cottage. If the ministry people saw the body, if there was one, wouldn't Dumbledore have had a harder time convincing them that the danger still existed?

I guess, corpse or no corpse, everybody believed Voldey was gone because the night Harry was delivered to Privet Drive, there were celebrations going on.

On a slightly ghoulish note, I have a mental image of Voldey's original corpse on display in the ministry rotunda, proof positive that he was deader than a doornail. This obviously didn't happen :smileyhappy:





Psychee wrote:


br>



Why would he have to do anything with the corpse before Harry was picked up? There were two other corpses there at the time as well, Lily and James... he might have done whatever with Voldy's corpse at the same time he took care of the Potters' burial, couldn't he?







I too was thinking about the celebrations. But I kept thinking about what Peter put into the cauldron when he was brought back. The first time I read it, I thought it was his corpse, but I wasn't quite sure. I think that the night it all happened, there must have been the Ministry there that night, especially Obliviators, becuase the muggles thought the house had exploded. What I was thinking was, could Lucius have stolen the body from the MoM. But then I got to thinking again, Lucius turned on Voldemort when after that night, hence the reason Voldemort was mad at him, so he msut have done nothing. Also, somebody must have been there to get his wand, so I was thinking Peter must have been there to show him where it was. Maybe he got the body and wand and he apparated.
The whole reason I never thought of Dumbledore to get it, was because he was at the Dursley's waiting for Hagrid to bring Harry. I highly doubt that he would go to Godrics Hollow and leave Harry there.

Message Edited by hihi on 01-11-2008 09:07 PM
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

What Peter put into the cauldron in Gof was the "rudimentary body" that Voldemort had been able to create (along with the bone, flesh, and blood). Ministry officials were on the scene in Godric's Hollow, and probably did put out a plausible explanation for the muggle's benefit.

There was no body in the MOM-that was just me being silly. Lucius earned Voldemorts displeasure because he failed to complete certain tasks Voldey had set him-like retrieving the prophecy from the MOM.

How Voldemort's wand was retrieved from the ruins of the Potter cottage is subject to speculation. It was retrieved, because when Voldey is reborn in GOF, Peter hands Voldey his original wand. My guess is that Peter somehow retrieved it from the cottage.

On Privet Drive, when Harry is delivered, the first to arrive is Minerva, then Dumbledore, then Hagrid with baby Harry. I don't think the time factor applies to Minerva or Dumbledore, because they could both apparate. Hagrid had to use the motorcycle.









I too was thinking about the celebrations. But I kept thinking about what Peter put into the cauldron when he was brought back. The first time I read it, I thought it was his corpse, but I wasn't quite sure. I think that the night it all happened, there must have been the Ministry there that night, especially Obliviators, becuase the muggles thought the house had exploded. What I was thinking was, could Lucius have stolen the body from the MoM. But then I got to thinking again, Lucius turned on Voldemort when after that night, hence the reason Voldemort was mad at him, so he msut have done nothing. Also, somebody must have been there to get his wand, so I was thinking Peter must have been there to show him where it was. Maybe he got the body and wand and he apparated.
The whole reason I never thought of Dumbledore to get it, was because he was at the Dursley's waiting for Hagrid to bring Harry. I highly doubt that he would go to Godrics Hollow and leave Harry there.

Message Edited by hihi on 01-11-2008 09:07 PM

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway



Mollywobbles wrote:
I thought that the theory was that Dumbledore may have had a hand in making Voldey's corpse disappear from GH so that the ministry wouldn't be lulled into thinking Voldey was gone for good. I thought that meant the body was gone before the ministry folks started poking around, which was apparently pretty soon after the explosion at the cottage. If the ministry people saw the body, if there was one, wouldn't Dumbledore have had a harder time convincing them that the danger still existed?

I guess, corpse or no corpse, everybody believed Voldey was gone because the night Harry was delivered to Privet Drive, there were celebrations going on.

On a slightly ghoulish note, I have a mental image of Voldey's original corpse on display in the ministry rotunda, proof positive that he was deader than a doornail. This obviously didn't happen




We don't really know when the Ministry arrived at Godric's Hollow. We only know that Muggles arrived quickly. By the way, I didn't mean to say that Dumbledore wouldn't let the Ministry see the body... I just don't think he would like the idea of everyone seeing it, as it would potentially give false reassurance. Dumbledore did try to explain to the Ministry that Voldy was not dead, in spite of appearances, but people like Fudge totally believed that Voldy was dead, not just dis-empowered, judging by what he told the "Other Minister". I would think that someone, somewhere, would have had to have seen a body for anyone to believe that Voldy was dead, don't you?
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Sorry, I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you were suggesting that Dumbledore did a vanishing spell on Voldey's body (or made it disappear in some way) before anyone else had seen it. This makes more sense to me now-that there was a body, seen by a limited number of Ministry Officials, and the body was then disposed of. That would indeed convince the Ministry gang that Voldemort was gone, and they wouldn't be inclined to heed Dumbledore's cautions. Thank you, I'm going to stop worrying about the Voldeycorpse now.



Psychee wrote:


Mollywobbles wrote:
I thought that the theory was that Dumbledore may have had a hand in making Voldey's corpse disappear from GH so that the ministry wouldn't be lulled into thinking Voldey was gone for good. I thought that meant the body was gone before the ministry folks started poking around, which was apparently pretty soon after the explosion at the cottage. If the ministry people saw the body, if there was one, wouldn't Dumbledore have had a harder time convincing them that the danger still existed?

I guess, corpse or no corpse, everybody believed Voldey was gone because the night Harry was delivered to Privet Drive, there were celebrations going on.

On a slightly ghoulish note, I have a mental image of Voldey's original corpse on display in the ministry rotunda, proof positive that he was deader than a doornail. This obviously didn't happen




We don't really know when the Ministry arrived at Godric's Hollow. We only know that Muggles arrived quickly. By the way, I didn't mean to say that Dumbledore wouldn't let the Ministry see the body... I just don't think he would like the idea of everyone seeing it, as it would potentially give false reassurance. Dumbledore did try to explain to the Ministry that Voldy was not dead, in spite of appearances, but people like Fudge totally believed that Voldy was dead, not just dis-empowered, judging by what he told the "Other Minister". I would think that someone, somewhere, would have had to have seen a body for anyone to believe that Voldy was dead, don't you?


Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Soulbits and Horcruxes.

The act of murder causes the soul to fragment, fracture, rip, whatever.
To deliberately make a horcrux, you have to do the spell to encase the soulbit in an object outside the body.
The Voldey Soulbit latched onto Baby Harry's soul after the failed AK, but the spell to encase it in an object was never performed

If a loose soulbit can latch on to another soul without the encasing spell being cast, what would have happened to other soulbits that must have flaked off Voldemort when he killed other people when not intending to make a horcrux?
Frequent Contributor
ravensilverlight
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway



Mollywobbles wrote:
Soulbits and Horcruxes.

The act of murder causes the soul to fragment, fracture, rip, whatever.
To deliberately make a horcrux, you have to do the spell to encase the soulbit in an object outside the body.
The Voldey Soulbit latched onto Baby Harry's soul after the failed AK, but the spell to encase it in an object was never performed

If a loose soulbit can latch on to another soul without the encasing spell being cast, what would have happened to other soulbits that must have flaked off Voldemort when he killed other people when not intending to make a horcrux?


I think that killing people does fracture your soul, but all the pieces stay inside you. When you intend to make a Horcrux, the spell to encase the piece of soul also extracts it from inside you and puts it into something else. In the case of Harry, I think the rebounding AK, which normally kills people - ripping their whole soul from their body - caused the piece of LV that he had just made by killing James and Lily to be ripped out and attach to Harry, and the rest of LV's soul to become Vapormort. I would hate to think about pieces of LV's soul just floating around! Yikes!!! That's nightmares waiting to happen, Molly!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway


Mollywobbles wrote:
Soulbits and Horcruxes.

The act of murder causes the soul to fragment, fracture, rip, whatever.
To deliberately make a horcrux, you have to do the spell to encase the soulbit in an object outside the body.
The Voldey Soulbit latched onto Baby Harry's soul after the failed AK, but the spell to encase it in an object was never performed

If a loose soulbit can latch on to another soul without the encasing spell being cast, what would have happened to other soulbits that must have flaked off Voldemort when he killed other people when not intending to make a horcrux?




Even though I agree with you that it was certainly POSSIBLE, and even PROBABLE that any killings that Voldemort did, at least AFTER his attempt to AK baby Harry, might result in more soulbits flying off to the unknown, we have to believe that if that happened, none of them survived to the point in the story where the final battle occurred, because if they did, Voldemort would not have died as he did -- they would have tethered him to life.

So, IF any more bits came off and attached themselves to someone, that person had to have been AK'd and the soulbit destroyed prior to the final battle.

The alternative to that is that once more we have a dead Voldy body with a Vapormort soul bit still alive somewhere but not doing anything to draw attention to itself in the nineteen years post final battle scene...

...which means we have a new way of getting the story going again, Mollywobbles, a beginning for a new sequel...

That's a good catch!
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Interesting theory Raven. The problem I have with it is that if the soulbits normally remain,somehow shredded, inside the living body of a murderer, when that murderer dies, all the shredded soulbits could come flying out and attach themselves to any other living soul in the room, couldn't they? Ick, multiple exploding soulbits, indeed the stuff of nightmares!





ravensilverlight wrote:


Mollywobbles wrote:
Soulbits and Horcruxes.

The act of murder causes the soul to fragment, fracture, rip, whatever.
To deliberately make a horcrux, you have to do the spell to encase the soulbit in an object outside the body.
The Voldey Soulbit latched onto Baby Harry's soul after the failed AK, but the spell to encase it in an object was never performed

If a loose soulbit can latch on to another soul without the encasing spell being cast, what would have happened to other soulbits that must have flaked off Voldemort when he killed other people when not intending to make a horcrux?


I think that killing people does fracture your soul, but all the pieces stay inside you. When you intend to make a Horcrux, the spell to encase the piece of soul also extracts it from inside you and puts it into something else. In the case of Harry, I think the rebounding AK, which normally kills people - ripping their whole soul from their body - caused the piece of LV that he had just made by killing James and Lily to be ripped out and attach to Harry, and the rest of LV's soul to become Vapormort. I would hate to think about pieces of LV's soul just floating around! Yikes!!! That's nightmares waiting to happen, Molly!!!


Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Hm, new sequel, Return of the Soulbit? Son of the Soulbit? Revenge of the Soulbit?

I'm thinking that maybe the random soulbits Voldemort sloughed off during his earlier murders-the non horcrux murders-may have attached themselves to other living souls. However, without the spell to encase the soulbit, and whatever other magic it involved, the sundry soulbits just hung out in their new home, but lacked the power to tether Voldey to life because they were not proper horcruxes.

By the way, do we actually see Voldemort murder anybody directly in DH? I only remember him getting Nagini to do the dirty work for him-or if you take a kinder view, feeding Nagini. The Silver Hand got Wormtail. I recall him taking a couple of shots at Harry during the flight from Privet Dr, but that's it. Do you remember anybody he AKs directly in DH?



Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:
Soulbits and Horcruxes.

The act of murder causes the soul to fragment, fracture, rip, whatever.
To deliberately make a horcrux, you have to do the spell to encase the soulbit in an object outside the body.
The Voldey Soulbit latched onto Baby Harry's soul after the failed AK, but the spell to encase it in an object was never performed

If a loose soulbit can latch on to another soul without the encasing spell being cast, what would have happened to other soulbits that must have flaked off Voldemort when he killed other people when not intending to make a horcrux?




Even though I agree with you that it was certainly POSSIBLE, and even PROBABLE that any killings that Voldemort did, at least AFTER his attempt to AK baby Harry, might result in more soulbits flying off to the unknown, we have to believe that if that happened, none of them survived to the point in the story where the final battle occurred, because if they did, Voldemort would not have died as he did -- they would have tethered him to life.

So, IF any more bits came off and attached themselves to someone, that person had to have been AK'd and the soulbit destroyed prior to the final battle.

The alternative to that is that once more we have a dead Voldy body with a Vapormort soul bit still alive somewhere but not doing anything to draw attention to itself in the nineteen years post final battle scene...

...which means we have a new way of getting the story going again, Mollywobbles, a beginning for a new sequel...

That's a good catch!


Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
Posts: 3,373
Registered: ‎07-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

He murdered that muggle teacher in the beginning of the book remember dark lord arising) and then saying, ‘dinner nagini.’

He also (although it was a memory) the woman in gregorovitch’s house, gregorovitch himself, and grindewald…
Who else?
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o