Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
damamabear33
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Yeah I know! I wish I could do magic & them be clueless! Maybe they would act better! LOL!
Inspired Contributor
Spero

Heres one that I don't know if it was addressed. Has anyone mentioned about Harry useing his wand and a spell to study and read his books under his blankets at home. Seems magic is magic. He was never reprimanded by mom for that or practiceing spells.
Spero
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Good Catch!!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
B00K_L0VER
0 Kudos

I have a question. (raises hand)

Why does 7 seem to be such a magic number? (e.g. seven horcruxes, seven years of instruction, seven books.. there are probably more but I can't think of any others)

:{D How do you like my moustachio? :}D
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

7 has been an important number in many cultures/religions/philosophies going deep back into human history. It also crops up in nature quite a bit.

7 colors in the rainbow

7 days of the week (and 7 days in many creation stories, including the Christian Bible)

7 chakras

7 heavenly bodies visible to the naked eye from Earth (sun, moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn)

I tend to lean on the last one as the ancient source for the "7" fixation. It then probably rolled itself into a variety of belief systems. And depending on the culture, there are other "lucky" numbers and different meanings ascribed to the different natural numbers 1 through 9, as well as other natural numbers, such as 13.

And 7 isn't always lucky; breaking a mirror is said to bring 7 years of bad luck.

So given the cultural history, not too surprising JKR uses it in the series.

Contributor
B00K_L0VER
0 Kudos

Thanks RHWright.  Jk Rowling does seem to like the things with history behind them.

:{D How do you like my moustachio? :}D
Contributor
Stacia

I'm rereading the series for the umpteenth time, and right now I'm on book 2. I had a totally random thought today as I was reading, and it's if you are deaf, do you still have to wear earmuffs around Mandrakes? Lol, the questions I think of after taking ASL!

"These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves."
-Gilbert Highet

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
-Jane Austen

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

I think you will know the answer as soon as you recall why they are wearing earmuffs in the first place.

Contributor
Stacia
0 Kudos

No, I know that it's the Mandrake's cry that kills, so does that mean all Deaf wizards and witches are immune?

"These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves."
-Gilbert Highet

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
-Jane Austen

New User
Jessicajaye13
0 Kudos

Poor Dobby :smileysad:((
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I am sure this has been asked before, but I really dont want to go through the whole forum looking for a responce. Anyway first of all if Fred and George had the Marauders map since their first year surely they would have seen Ron had wormtail (Peter Pettigrew) wouldnt that seem a little odd. Secondly, in Goblet of Fire when Mr. Weasley and the boys go get Harry from the Dursleys, Mr. Weasley uses his wand to return Dudleys tongue to regular size. How come when Dobby performed magic at Privet drive Harry was accused and not this time?
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!