Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ctheller
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

omg that's so stupid! aren't they supposed to be doing a movie called Harry Potter, not David Herman's Version of Harry Potter? its so stupid. plus, if JKR thought it was being repetitious then she wouldn't have put it in the book in the first place, so why should the movie be any different?
Frequent Contributor
laloz
0 Kudos

I completely agree! and besides there a different between the fight the order has in HBP and the war that goes on in HD... and considering there war in DH will be in part 2 of the 2 part book 7 films.. theres an ENTIRE movie between the 2!!!

Although I guess when they wrote the script they didnt know that...

On the positive side we can go into the movie looking to be disapointed and walk out thinking wow it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be...   :-( still sucks though!!!!

Contributor
seattle1985
0 Kudos

Sorry to totally derail that conversation, but I'm about to leave for work (BN... yay!) and this has been bugging me for a few days.

I just finished reading DH for the first time since release night, and I was thinking, what happens to Fred on Mrs. Weasley's clock? Does he completely vanish off it? or is there actually a space for "Dead" (tho that would be so cruel..) or does he forever stay in  "mortal peril".

Also, on that same thread, do you think that the clock just has the original family member on it, or do Hermione and Harry get put on it when they marry into the Weasley family, and do all the grandchildren get added?

That would be one confusing clock..

Anyway, any thoughts?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

About the battle being left out...  in the movie, Draco and the DE's still confront Dumbledore on the tower, Snape still kills Dumbledore, Harry chases them, Hagrid's house still burns, Harry and Snape still do their "dueling" thing.  What is apparently being left out of the movie is the fighting that was done by the kids, the Order, and the DE's.   I guess they just wanted to keep things from Harry's POV (Point of View).

The funeral would have been a very slow scene requiring a great number of actors as well as a ton of special effects with the merpeople and giants and centaurs, etc.  Would it be worth the time and the extra costs?  I don't think so.  The real kicker of loss scenes were Hagrid's reaction to the body and the Phoenix Lament -- if they do them right, the emotional impact will be there, I think.

I am happy to know it in advance, though.  I would have expected these deleted things and would have been initially disappointed had I not had a chance to think about it beforehand.

laloz wrote:

MOVIE SPOILER!!

Just wondering if anyone knows if its true that they left out the Hogwarts fight scene and DD's funeral from the movie. I read it at http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00018462.html

If it is tru are you as P*#*ed off as I am (excuse the language.)

Even those of us who read and watch the movies I think leaving out DD's funeral is a wrong move its your chance to day good bye to him even if nothing extravegant happened at that moment in time!

Thoughts?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

We've wondered about that before someplace on this board... but when I re-read the book that described the clock the first time, I realized that JKR never gave us all of the possible "parking" spots on the clock.  Perhaps there is one that reads "Onto the next great adventure"? 

I think, though, that it would be less cruel to the family to simply have Fred's indicator disappear.  Or perhaps his picture could be put somewhere in the center face as a remembrance?

And I am guessing that Molly could add as many hands to the clock as she needed to keep track of her family.  I can't imagine that the clock initially had exactly the right number of hands for her, unless she made it herself, which is always possible.

seattle1985 wrote:

Sorry to totally derail that conversation, but I'm about to leave for work (BN... yay!) and this has been bugging me for a few days.

I just finished reading DH for the first time since release night, and I was thinking, what happens to Fred on Mrs. Weasley's clock? Does he completely vanish off it? or is there actually a space for "Dead" (tho that would be so cruel..) or does he forever stay in  "mortal peril".

Also, on that same thread, do you think that the clock just has the original family member on it, or do Hermione and Harry get put on it when they marry into the Weasley family, and do all the grandchildren get added?

That would be one confusing clock..

Anyway, any thoughts?

Frequent Contributor
ctheller
0 Kudos

i think it would be good, especially for the purpose of the DH, to have DD's funeral in there. they wouldn't have to have the entire thing, just show the beginning and have the voice saying things in the background while it shows people crying and the merpeople saying things. then it should go to the part where his body is covered up, and make it seem like it was very short. i admit, having the entire thing in there would make people fall asleep, but to not have it in completely is bad.

Psychee wrote:

About the battle being left out...  in the movie, Draco and the DE's still confront Dumbledore on the tower, Snape still kills Dumbledore, Harry chases them, Hagrid's house still burns, Harry and Snape still do their "dueling" thing.  What is apparently being left out of the movie is the fighting that was done by the kids, the Order, and the DE's.   I guess they just wanted to keep things from Harry's POV (Point of View).

The funeral would have been a very slow scene requiring a great number of actors as well as a ton of special effects with the merpeople and giants and centaurs, etc.  Would it be worth the time and the extra costs?  I don't think so.  The real kicker of loss scenes were Hagrid's reaction to the body and the Phoenix Lament -- if they do them right, the emotional impact will be there, I think.

I am happy to know it in advance, though.  I would have expected these deleted things and would have been initially disappointed had I not had a chance to think about it beforehand.

laloz wrote:

MOVIE SPOILER!!

Just wondering if anyone knows if its true that they left out the Hogwarts fight scene and DD's funeral from the movie. I read it at http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00018462.html

If it is tru are you as P*#*ed off as I am (excuse the language.)

Even those of us who read and watch the movies I think leaving out DD's funeral is a wrong move its your chance to day good bye to him even if nothing extravegant happened at that moment in time!

Thoughts?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

In an ideal world where there is unlimited time on the screen and unlimited funds to pay for actors and special effects, having the funeral would be great.  But think of it this way...  a 5 minute scene involving a hundred "extras" for the crowd and two minutes of special effects - the centaurs and the merpeople and the magical crypt- all which are painstakingly rendered on computer because they don't really exist - could potentially cost a 100 times more than 5 minutes of Dumbledore and Harry in the cave -- if you were the Director, and you had just so much money to spend, would it be worth doing less in the cave scene so you could show the funeral? Would you decide, for example, that you should cut out the Inferi in the cave so you have the money to pay for the drawing of the merpeople at the funeral?

The funeral was REALLY important in the book -- very few readers really believed that Dumbledore was dead at the end of the tower scene -- and the funeral helped them through their shock and disbelief and made that death final for them.   Seeing the death on screen will be very different, though, I think.  The visual medium will make that death far more real than just reading it, and the music that goes with it, as well as afterward, the Phoenix Lament scene, for example, and Hagrid crying over the corpse, etc., will make it even more real.  As a result, I don't think the funeral is going to be needed in the movie the way it was so needed and vital to the book-- in the movie, they can just mention what happened at the funeral and let that be all... we should be well-cried-out by then, anyway...

But now that I think some more about it.... So far, have we seen ANY emotional moments besides excitement portrayed well in the movies?  My memory might be faulty here, but I don't think these British Directors and Screenwriters have ever given us a powerful emotional scene -- not by American standards, anyway.  Take, for example,  Sirius' death -- the whole thing on screen had such an anesthetized quality to it -- shallow emotions, nothing deep and poignant, so UNLIKE the book.  I think they handle the action scenes really well, but the emotions?  I don't think they do so well in that department. 

ctheller wrote:
i think it would be good, especially for the purpose of the DH, to have DD's funeral in there. they wouldn't have to have the entire thing, just show the beginning and have the voice saying things in the background while it shows people crying and the merpeople saying things. then it should go to the part where his body is covered up, and make it seem like it was very short. i admit, having the entire thing in there would make people fall asleep, but to not have it in completely is bad.

Frequent Contributor
laloz
0 Kudos

Psychee is WB sponsering you??? you just sold me!

ok So I would prefer the extra time in the cave and at other instrmental parts of the movie, and being a Sirius lover I think I would have to agree that it was not done exceptionally well.

I'm glad I know they are missing and I'm glad I've had time to vent and fume that way I wont be disapointed when it doesnt come happen in the film!

Again you sold me! Thank you!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

LOL, Laloz... No, WB isn't sponsoring me!  If they were, I would have had to give the movies more glowing ratings. :smileyhappy:

I've recently been getting a kind of education about film cost issues, though, through the voice-over discussions on the Stargate SG-1 DVDs -- which were my Christmas gift to myself.  That show is really expensive to produce and they always have to carefully consider budget issues with the fantastic special effects they must always include-- trying to get the best bang out of the bucks they have to spend.  The Directors and Producers even do bit parts in the shows to save on the cost of hiring Extras, so they can spend that money later on something extra fantastic.  I think they do a great job at making those decisions -- and listening to the process they go through to reach that optimum  has given me a great education.  Those CANADIANS sure know what they are doing!  (Hear that, Mollywobbles? :smileyhappy: )  In fact, if the Harry Potter Movies were ever re-made, I would choose those same folks to direct and manage the venture. 

laloz wrote:

ok So I would prefer the extra time in the cave and at other instrmental parts of the movie, and being a Sirius lover I think I would have to agree that it was not done exceptionally well.

I'm glad I know they are missing and I'm glad I've had time to vent and fume that way I wont be disapointed when it doesnt come happen in the film!

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Thank you Psychee, we do know how to stretch a buckazoid.  That is why Hollywood is so cranky with us. 

As to the discussion of the funeral, and the cost involved, I would wager that flocks of people would volunteer as extras, even to the point of making their own costumes, for the chance to appear in the funeral scene in HBP.  I'd also bet that people would happily half immerse themselves in water, pretending to be merpeople, if it meant a chance to participate.  Sure there would be some special effects cost with the white tomb, but I'll admit I'll be sorry if the scene is deleted.  Here would be the chance to do the emotionally wrenching scene you think has been missing (and I agree).  I don't think the death on the tower, witnessed as it was by so few people, will qualify (especially since Harry and Snape were the only good guys to see it).  Harry crouched over the body later, following the Snape chase scene, I don't think will do it as well either, even though Hagrid, the teachers, and many of the students are gathered. 

I hope they do a better job with the phoenix song.  As I recall, we hear it twice-once when Fawkes brings Harry the sorting hat in the chamber, and then in the graveyard.  I think in the films, Fawkes lets out a shriek at the MOM, but to me, the sounds the films gave Fawkes was just that, a shriek or squawk.  Not very inspiring. 

Psychee wrote:

Those CANADIANS sure know what they are doing!  (Hear that, Mollywobbles? :smileyhappy: )  In fact, if the Harry Potter Movies were ever re-made, I would choose those same folks to direct and manage the venture. 

laloz wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

With the exception of the sorting hat, which Godric gave to the school, I doubt any of the founders expected that their objects would become the kind of artifacts they did become.  Doesn't it seem odd that Slytherin, the one who left the school, left more objects behind than did the other three?  You'd think that the founders who remained at the school would have left more stuff, and that those items would have been preserved by subsequent generations.

I like the idea of Hufflepuff's cup replenishing itself-too bad we didn't see a Hufflepuff get hold of it, but by then it had been tainted with the voldeybit and probably would have served up bile

I don't know about the tiara.  Sure Rowena wasn't ready to let go of it, but it was supposed to confer wisdom on the wearer, which is why I thought Helena swiped it in the first place-to make herself more important than her mummy.

If Riddle/mort tried on the tiara before turning it into a horcrux, it sure didn't do HIM any good. I would have thought, though, that he might have experienced some kind of psychic connection with the ring and locket, even though the Gaunts didn't have any luck with it.  The Gaunts however, didn't appear to have much ambition, whereas Riddle/mort certainly did.  I expect you're right, it probably had something to do with giving the wearer additional powers, and Voldemort figured he had enough of his own. 

Psychee wrote:

Helga Hufflepuff's cup probably refilled itself until told not to.  This would be in keeping with her interest in kitchens and feeding people, I think. 

The Slytherin locket is more difficult.  If it had magical properties, I would imagine that it would confer some kind of extra power on the wearer.  Whatever that power was, though, the Gaunts apparently never figured out.

Regarding who could make the magic work on these items...

Ravenclaw never meant the diadem to be used by others -- or else, why would her daughter have stolen it?  Couldn't she have just borrowed it? 

Hufflepuff probably would not care who used her cup.  She was a generous soul.

If Slytherin planned to pass on his locket to others, they would have had to have been Slytherin, and whatever magic in it would probably only work for a Slytherin.  Actually, only a Parselmouth could open it, and perhaps that was the key.  One can only guess at what he kept in his locket.  Maybe it had a cavernous interior like a moke bag? 

I doubt that Riddle could resist trying to figure out the magic of the locket.  He would have wanted to know.  Therefore, I think we can presume that if he found magical properties to it, other than just getting access to it via Parseltongue, he valued that magic less than having it as a Horcrux vessel.

Mollywobbles wrote:

Founders' artifacts

So here are the questions...

What would the Hufflepuff and Slytherin artifacts do that would line up with the qualities those two founders valued? 

Would those magical properties only come into play if the artifact was used by a "true" Hufflepuff or Slytherin? 

If Riddle/mort knew himself to be a descendant of Slytherin, and heard from Hepzebah that the locket was said to have magical powers, did he try to discover what those powers were before deciding to turn the locket into a horcrux?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

lol, Mollywobbles, I'm trying to picture Voldemort wearing that Tiara !  :smileyhappy:  
Frequent Contributor
laloz
0 Kudos

Another random Q...

I know that there are tid bits for life after book 7 all over the net with most saying they are quoted by JKR. My question is; is there a central place where these questions or this information can be found... I am interested to see what may have happened to certain characters after Harry's 7th year.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Laloz,  Jo gave out that information over a series of interviews.  You will find a link for them all here:

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/list2007.html 

The "Bloomsbury Chat" link probably gave the most information.

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/default.aspx?sec=3 

Frequent Contributor
laloz
0 Kudos

Thanks for the above Psychee, I read through it although I've also seen some interviews she's done (via utube) and she seems to contradict herself on a few points.. but I guss something is better then nothing!

The belkow is a link i found to an unofficial trailer... hope you all enjoy if you have not already seen it!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=49998

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Addresing the people who thought Trewlaney was a squib:

I agreed with you guys, but I just reread DH and she does use her wand to launch the crystal balls on top of Fenrir Greyback. It says she uses it "with a swerve like a tennis racket." So I guess that's the end of that. 

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Maybe she's so neurotic that she can't do spells reliably well, even though she's a witch.  Consequently, she might only use magic when she's really desperate?

agnijay wrote:

I agreed with you guys, but I just reread DH and she does use her wand to launch the crystal balls on top of Fenrir Greyback. It says she uses it "with a swerve like a tennis racket." So I guess that's the end of that. 

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Well spotted Jaya!  I guess Sybil just didn't need to resort to so crude an instrument as a wand most of the time-not while she was "seeing".

(Happy Diwali, by the way!) 

agnijay wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Time turner

In PofA, Hermione uses the time turner to attend different classes occupying the same time slot.  Just before exams, she is pretty stressed out with all the studying.  If she re-wound time to attend the classes, why didn't she re-wind study hours, or, for that matter, sleep time?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Wasn't she under orders to only use the Time Turner to attend classes?  Might she believe that to use it to catch up on sleep time or to complete homework was a violation of her promise?

Mollywobbles wrote:

Time turner

In PofA, Hermione uses the time turner to attend different classes occupying the same time slot.  Just before exams, she is pretty stressed out with all the studying.  If she re-wound time to attend the classes, why didn't she re-wind study hours, or, for that matter, sleep time?