Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Mollywobbles wrote:
Okay, I'm really annoyed that nobody picked up on my humorous line "SPERM OF THE MOMENT".. I thought that was at least worth a "groan" from ShadowCougar.

I was TRYING to ignore it.
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:
Okay, I'm really annoyed that nobody picked up on my humorous line "SPERM OF THE MOMENT".. I thought that was at least worth a "groan" from ShadowCougar.

...perhaps you're right...men aren't that bad. just everyone i've met.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

LOL Wobbs. Don't let Shadow's dry sense of humor fool you. He was slapping his knees on that one. Or she. What gender is Shadow?
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

*Checks his pants* Yup.. he.
:smileyvery-happy:

Kreacherteacher wrote:
LOL Wobbs. Don't let Shadow's dry sense of humor fool you. He was slapping his knees on that one. Or she. What gender is Shadow?

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Oh man. Everyone has been giving macross lots of flirtatious attention, and poor shadow's been here the entire time watching the fickle ladies battle it out. You are loved Shadow.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

JKR DID say in the Bloomsbury chat that Harry lost the ability to speak Parseltongue. And by the way...I wonder if Harry got another scar after Voldemort AKd him again, and what shape is was?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:
Oh man. Everyone has been giving macross lots of flirtatious attention, and poor shadow's been here the entire time watching the fickle ladies battle it out. You are loved Shadow.

aww...yes. poor shadow. dress up as sirius and you may of course dance weeth abi! your costume must of course be convincing, mind...**throws robes and mask at shadow** we shall see who makes the better sirius! macross or shdow!
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Oooh...a walk-off! Like in Zoolander! :smileyhappy: I love that movie
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

At least Shadow is more subtle. A very tragic figure, I think.

Zoolander is so stupid it's funny. Sometimes I just have to dive into that kind of ridiculous humor.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Yeah, I can't always handle stupid humor. But when it's done right, and I'm in the mood for it, than it can be a very refreshing kind of comedy. After my brother and I saw Zoolander we only spoke to eachother through quotations from the movie. My favorite is:
"I became bulimic".
"You can read minds"?

Oh, that one never gets old!
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles

Ah, come on ShadowCougar, you have to admit it was better than me saying Sirius was barking mad.

ShadowCougar wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

thank you ABI, to paraphrase Churchill (although I am sure ShadowCougar will provide us with the exact quote as he is wont to do)..my best off the cuff remarks are worked out in advance...I had been thinking of that one for a few weeks. Pathetic.

ABI wrote:
lol, Molly, I actually DID pick up on that. Just forgot to reply. :smileyhappy:

And yes . .. how fortunate we have been agreeing lately.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

In DH, the Prince's Tale chapter, there's a scene where Snape is waiting on a hilltop-he has revealed the prophesy to Voldey, who has assumed it referred to Lily's son. Harry, seeing this in the pensieve wonders what Snape is waiting for. Then "a blinding, jagged jet of white light flew through the air: Harry thought of lightning, but Snape had dropped to his knees and his wand had flown out of his hand. "Don't kill me!. " "That was not my intention." Any sound of Dumbledore apparating had been drowned by the sound of the wind in the branches...etc.

Dumbledore could apparate without making any noise, and what was that jet of white light? Was Dumbledore just really pissed and so was making a demonstration of his power?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, I think that white light was just a theatrical stunt on Dumbledore's part; trying to blind Snape long enough to disarm him, just in case it was a trap.

Changing the topic...

Up above, someone asked if Harry lost the ability to speak Parseltongue. I think the answer was embedded in the book, but JKR did confirm that he lost the ability when he lost the Horcrux.

Dumbledore did have the ability to understand Parseltongue -- this had been confirmed by JKR. But she never said whether or not he could actually speak it.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

You've gotta love Dumbledore, he's got style!

Psychee wrote:
Yes, I think that white light was just a theatrical stunt on Dumbledore's part; trying to blind Snape long enough to disarm him, just in case it was a trap.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Here's another one about the room of requirement (by the way, nobody has given me their opinion of what happened to the ROR after the fiendfyre)

In DH, Neville really "gets" the ROR-knows just what to ask to get the room to provide what he needs. When the students are holed up in there, with the access to the Hogshead, somebody stays in there all the time to keep the room doing what they need it to do.

But in OOTP, Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad are able to get into the ROR. I believe Pansy got in and picked up the list of members of the D.A. But, if the D.A. members had already fled, having been warned by Dobby, how did Pansy get in without knowing what to say to make the room appear? Was this just a timing thing-she got in while there was still a D.A.member on their way out?

And why, in HPB, is Trelawney able to open the room to hide her sherry bottles, while Draco is in there messing with the vanishing cabinet.?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Here's another one about the room of requirement (by the way, nobody has given me their opinion of what happened to the ROR after the fiendfyre)

In DH, Neville really "gets" the ROR-knows just what to ask to get the room to provide what he needs. When the students are holed up in there, with the access to the Hogshead, somebody stays in there all the time to keep the room doing what they need it to do.

But in OOTP, Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad are able to get into the ROR. I believe Pansy got in and picked up the list of members of the D.A. But, if the D.A. members had already fled, having been warned by Dobby, how did Pansy get in without knowing what to say to make the room appear? Was this just a timing thing-she got in while there was still a D.A.member on their way out?

And why, in HPB, is Trelawney able to open the room to hide her sherry bottles, while Draco is in there messing with the vanishing cabinet.?

I would like to believe that the RoR could have dealt with the Fiendfyre as soon as it disappeared back into nothingness when the kids left. There WAS a counterspell, the kids just didn't know it. The fire HAD to have been put out otherwise the whole castle would have gone up in flames and we know that it did not. I doubt that much in the room actually survived the fire, though.

Pansy did get in while the door was still open in the Umbridge incident.

In HBP, Trelawney was able to get in to hide her sherry bottles because that was the same room where people hid things. The cabinet was in the room when Harry hid his Potions book.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Well, I certainly hope the fiendfyre was extinguished when the room disappeared, otherwise some unlucky student may just open the door and find the nasty stuff still in there. If it were ordinary fire, it would be extinguished when the oxygen was depleted, or it had consumed everything in the place. But it isn't ordinary fire. I'm hoping that the magic of the ROR was a match for it (sorry, no pun intended)

The Trelawney thing still bothers me though. Sybil went to hide her bottles in the same place that Harry hid his potions book-agreed. But, when she tries to do that, she is booted out by Draco who was already in the room, presumably working on the vanishing cabinet. Wouldn't Draco have said something like "I need a private place to work on this cabinet"? But, if Sybil was able to open the room by doing the usual..I need to find a place to hide my stuff,...why wasn't Harry able to get into the room when he so desperately wanted to find out what Draco was doing in there? He spent hours, I think when Ron and Hermione were off doing their apparition tests, trying to get into the room, using every combination he could think of to find out what Draco was up to. Yet, Sybil opens the door (albeit gets booted out) just by doing the usual "I need a place to stash my empties".

br>
In HBP, Trelawney was able to get in to hide her sherry bottles because that was the same room where people hid things. The cabinet was in the room when Harry hid his Potions book.

Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

I think it is because the ROR requires specifics. Harry just kept asking it to lead him where malfoy was, but, I don't think the ROR recognizes who its inhabitants are, so it wouldn't know what Harry meant by Malfoy. Or maybe it is just that the ROR tries its best to "protect" whoever is in it at the time.
And if not that, than it goes back to specific requests, like Neville said "you have to tell it EXACTLY what you want". So just asking it to let him where malfoy was wasn't good enough. The ONLY way to get in while malfoy was in there was by requesting for the room to hide things. If Harry had said I need a place to hide something like he did when he went to hide the potions book, than he would've been able to get to Malfoy. But harry did not know that's where malfoy was. He didn't know EXACTLY, so he could never get in no matter how hard he tried. Trelawney got in only because she wanted the room that could hide things.

Wow, I feel like that was very repetitive, sorry
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Well, I certainly hope the fiendfyre was extinguished when the room disappeared, otherwise some unlucky student may just open the door and find the nasty stuff still in there. If it were ordinary fire, it would be extinguished when the oxygen was depleted, or it had consumed everything in the place. But it isn't ordinary fire. I'm hoping that the magic of the ROR was a match for it (sorry, no pun intended)

The Trelawney thing still bothers me though. Sybil went to hide her bottles in the same place that Harry hid his potions book-agreed. But, when she tries to do that, she is booted out by Draco who was already in the room, presumably working on the vanishing cabinet. Wouldn't Draco have said something like "I need a private place to work on this cabinet"? But, if Sybil was able to open the room by doing the usual..I need to find a place to hide my stuff,...why wasn't Harry able to get into the room when he so desperately wanted to find out what Draco was doing in there? He spent hours, I think when Ron and Hermione were off doing their apparition tests, trying to get into the room, using every combination he could think of to find out what Draco was up to. Yet, Sybil opens the door (albeit gets booted out) just by doing the usual "I need a place to stash my empties".

br>

I think Tigerlilly has it right, Mollywobbles. Draco had found the cabinet in the "room of hidden things" and that's where he worked on it. But you are right... if Draco had been smart, he would have asked the room to just become a place where he could work on it privately. I don't think Draco ever "got" the room the way that Neville or Harry did.

It makes one wonder, though, if he discovered the cabinet was there by accident or if he had asked Filch where he put it...