Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Does it matter though? An attack is an attack is an attack.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

No it doesn’t , that’s why were on this thread ! LOL :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileyvery-happy::smileytongue:
But is there only one way to be “attacked”? :smileyvery-happy: hah!
Triumph!!!

Kreacherteacher wrote:
Does it matter though? An attack is an attack is an attack.

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

MrsRW, I answered your question in the "Ask Psychee" thread, lol... :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

I could imagine Ariana having been raped; I imagine it's been left ambiguous due to a young audience. But remember this was something so traumatic it #$#$ed her up for life.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Phrodo has a point. Almost everyone's had some sort of trauma in their youth, physical or non, but that has not necessarily scarred them for life. It seems like it WOULD take more than mocking or even threatening to achieve what they obviously did...

But then again, she was pretty "fragile" as it was...and I suppose she might have come around eventually. or not. ---correction, definitely not.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
What about the Trace?? Dumbledore or anyone else preforming 'overage' magic would not have the Trace on them, and would not be detected... would they?

I expect that Albus Dumbledore could have suppressed, manipulated, or deceived the Trace. We're dealing here with someone who can see spells and invisible things. I don't even believe Professor McGonagall developed that skill.

Makes you wish that Hermione had taken a few lessons with Professor Dumbledore.
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
oooh... lots of questions to answer! Here are my thoughts...

Let's see...

1. Harry had the trace on him and ALSO the house had a trace on it because it was Harry Potter and the Ministry initially, anyway, was monitoring for Voldemort activity. I think something like "We have been monitoring that area carefully due to the past" was said at the hearing when Mrs. Figg announced to them that she lived in the area.

Anyway, because the house had the trace on it as well, Dobby's magic was wrongfully attributed to Harry in COS.

2. Harry was never invisible to Voldemort when he was at Privet Drive. Voldemort only said that he could not touch him there, presumably because of the spell that Dumbledore cast when he moved Harry there using "blood" protection.

Therefore, there was no reason Dobby would not have been able to find Harry.

3. Back to the trace thing... Arthur Weasley had alerted the MoM that he would be picking up Harry... he had to do that in order to get the fireplace connected to the Flue Network anyway. Consequently, when he did magic there, they could assume it was him.

Presumably, Dumbledore also informed the Ministry that Harry would be picked up when Tonks did magic at the beginning of the fifth year and when Dumbledore picked him up at the beginning of the sixth year. That would cover the magic done at those times.

4. When the Ministry made a big deal about Harry doing magic in front of a Muggle, they were just throwing the book at him. Obviously, doing magic in front of Dudley did not in any way violate the Statute of Secrecy because Dudley already knew about the magical world. Similarly, the Dursleys knew about the magical world before Dumbledore did any magic around them, and before Arthur Weasley did any magic in front of them.

Those are my thoughts, anyway...

You know, I was thinking, each time Harry got busted for the magic thing, ie the hover charm COS, they could've back traced his wand
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

"When my sister was six years old, she was attacked, set upon, by three Muggle boys. They'd seen her doing magic, spying through the back garden hedge: She was a kid, she couldn't control it, no witch or wizard can at that age. What they saw scared them, I expect. They forced their way through the hedge, and when she couldn't show them the trick, they got a bit carried away trying to stop the little freak doing it." - Aberforth
yadi yadi . . . then:
"It destroyed her, what they did: She was never right again. She wouldn't use magic, but she couldn't get rid of it; it turned inward and drove her mad, it exploded out of her when she couldn't control it, and at times she was strange and dangerous. But mostly she was sweet and harmless." - Aberforth

That's why good ole dad went after them and attacked them and probably why Albus didn't try to deny his father had done. Because it never said he was ashamed or embarrassed of what his father had done. Yet it didn't color his opinion of the whole muggle race, we also don't know if it colored any of the rest of his family against the entire muggle community. Just the 3 boys that offended her in some way.

I just don't know that we can conclude she was raped. I know the first time I read that, that was indeed my impression. But looking back it is fairly vague, I can't imagine what else they could've done that would've been so devistating that she wouldn't be able to recover and she'd be torchered the rest of her life by it. I mean they could've beaten her but it really does sound more sinister.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
I could imagine Ariana having been raped; I imagine it's been left ambiguous due to a young audience. But remember this was something so traumatic it #$#$ed her up for life.

I think that's a very good point! We wouldn't want an 'r' rating on these books!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

It wouldn't take rape to traumatize a six year old girl. You can scare a six year old for life by just locking them in a dark closet. And remember that she knew she wasn't supposed to show magic to Muggles, so she was in a double bind there; even if she had been able to show them the "trick" she would have been in big trouble with her parents.

I wondered why the parents didn't just erase her memory of the encounter immediately. Seems like that would have been a simple solution to her trauma.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Very good point, you'd have thought Albus would've come up with something to help her get past that. But her father's anger was justified somewhat I think. I would expect to see something done if it were my daughter (or son). I'd have thought St. Mungo's could have done something. . . not everyone who checks in there, never checks out. Sometimes people are cured and go on to lead normal lives: Katie Bell, Arthur Weasley, etc.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Yeah , that was my impression too. And what does aberforth mean by saying, -‘they got a bit carried away trying to stop the little freak doing it’. ?

And psyche!!! Yooohhhooo.. I posted my answer on your network already!!!

**earth to psycheee..earth to psyche.. over..over…

networks busy. Jeezzz..
I’l go clean the bedroom ,. Since I’m here ALONE.

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 10-16-2007 08:28 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:
Very good point, you'd have thought Albus would've come up with something to help her get past that. But her father's anger was justified somewhat I think. I would expect to see something done if it were my daughter (or son). I'd have thought St. Mungo's could have done something. . . not everyone who checks in there, never checks out. Sometimes people are cured and go on to lead normal lives: Katie Bell, Arthur Weasley, etc.

They seemed to believe that they would lose Ariana forever to St. Mungos and weren't willing to take the chance... maybe it was because it was an emotional disorder instead of a spell damage thing or a physical problem...
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I don' tthink she was raped, sh emay have been sexually harassed.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
What a great thread! (Perfect place for me....I always have little questions that really don't matter)I am re-reading the series and I am on Deathly Hallows ( about chapter 9ish (Fleur and Bill wedding recently happened.) Hagrid was at the wedding (weeping)Harry saw Hagrid grabbing his table cloth sized hankie. I was in bed last night wandering, how many times did Hagrid cry in the series? Is anybody Harry Potter nerdish enough to count the times Hagrid cried in the series? I am dying to know but way to lazy to do an actual count!

Message Edited by PEGSmom on 10-16-2007 07:54 PM
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
New User
skmc82
0 Kudos

It seems like he cried several times in each book!

On another note, whatever happened to the rest of the wizarding world in book 7? I know we saw Krum briefly at the wedding but whatever happened to Madame Maxime? Didn't she and Hagrid have something going on?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

skmc82 wrote:
On another note, whatever happened to the rest of the wizarding world in book 7? I know we saw Krum briefly at the wedding but whatever happened to Madame Maxime? Didn't she and Hagrid have something going on?

Yes, I had that impression... but she had a school to run, right?

I thought that Krum was going to have some action in this last book but I guess his only reason for reappearing (plotwise, that is) was to foreshadow the connection between the Hallows and Grindelwald. I am guessing right now that he won't be in the seventh movie!

I guess he just returned back to the Quidditch pitch...
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

So many unanswered questions! It's tragic that I'll never know what everyone has become. Did George continue with the Joke shop? Those boys were ALWAYS together, how is he doing? I thought she could've included a quick follow up in the 19-year summation.

UGH!
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Auror_in_Training wrote:
So many unanswered questions! It's tragic that I'll never know what everyone has become. Did George continue with the Joke shop? Those boys were ALWAYS together, how is he doing? I thought she could've included a quick follow up in the 19-year summation.

UGH!

If I remember correctly JKR said that Ron went on to help George with the shop.
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ok I’ll take she may be sexually harassed! I just can’t let it go can I?
Ill try to make a list for scenes when we saw hagrid cry, mom!

1. he cried when norbert was about to be given away to Charlie weasley, and when he was hatched!
2. when buckbeak is to be executed
3. when HRO told him he’s the best teacher for COMC (care of mgical creatures)
4. when Dumbledore died
5. when harry “died”
6. when he was telling harry about his family
what else?

I love the scenes when hagrid let’s something slip and he says, ‘I shouldn’t have said that’ :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileysurprised:

I wonder what happened to grawp? Maybe he’s now allowed as gamekeeper and live with hagrid! Oh no!
**grawpp pulling out pinetrees for Christmas!