Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Well, I'm pretty sure Voldemort's original body was toast when the spell backfired. In the death eaters chapter in GOF, Voldemort says (with a little editing)
I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost...Nevertheless, I was as powerless as the weakest creature alive, and without the means to help myself...for I had no body, and every spell that might have helped me required the use of a wand......
...one of them would come and perform the magic I could not, to restore me to a body......Only one power remained to me. I could possess the bodies of others.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Well here’s the thing.
Even us muggles sometimes assume that a person is dead without seeing a dead body,.people don’t know what to believe at the time because voldemort was the most notorious wizard ever,
Besides voldemort CAN disappear. He definitely didn’t have to use the chameleon-skin- charm-thing moody used to on harry on the seven potters chapter in the middle of a fight with Dumbledore to possess harry on book 5.
So if he can do that? And he can fly, and he can dissolve himself to or make himself snake-like to enter grindewald’s prison, it’s highly possible he disappeared and became vapor for lack of a better word—when he first attacked harry…. Anything is possible –it’s magic! :smileyvery-happy:
And was it mentioned in the book that voldemort left a body? I remember reading about him fleeing the crime scene…not so sure…

Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

I've been thinking about this and since this thread is here, I thought I'd ask. You know in all 7 of the HP books the kids use the word "reckon" in the US edition(Do you reckon....? I reckon.....)Do they use that word on the UK editions as well? Or is it only in the US editions? (I know I think about strange things sometimes.....sorry!)
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

My word is serruptiously (spell?) I can't remember which book I think OotP but may have been HBP. JKR uses that word like 17 times in the book - drove me crazy. Not an everyday word. yadi yadi
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ok who set the cursed fire again? Crabbe or goyle? And who died? Keep forgetting!
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Ok who set the cursed fire again? Crabbe or goyle? And who died? Keep forgetting!

it was Crabbe and he is also the one who died.
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Does anyone wonder if Hagrid luved Minerva?

Message Edited by agnijay on 10-24-2007 07:26 PM
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

No, I've never thought of that before. How'd you come to that?
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Remember when he's drunk and he kissed Min, and she blushed? She was probably sober, as she is not the type to get drunk. I think it was in book 1? One of the earlier ones.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Oh yeah. Well, people do out-of-character things when they're drunk, so I don't think he loves her. But who knows! Maybe that's the next juicy post-DH revelation.
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
0 Kudos

tigerlilly wrote:
Oh yeah. Well, people do out-of-character things when they're drunk, so I don't think he loves her. But who knows! Maybe that's the next juicy post-DH revelation.

ROFLMAO

I have to say that I'm almost afraid for the encyclopedia to come out.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

No, I'm still looking forward to it.
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Oh cmon! :smileysurprised: Minerva is how many years hagrid’s senior?
Lol! But possibilities may arise of course.. urrgghh..

Amd yes people do get out of character when drunk…
But not me. Lol!

I do think hagrid regards her like a mother figure… as she always tell him off for being too loud etc
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
what?!? I never got the impression she was THAT old! For crying out loud Hagrid is like 65 or 70! & I've always thought of her as 50 to 60 ish. Do we know? It's just that Hagrid is so childlike, don't forget he was in school with Voldy!

Of course, I think everyone regards Minerva as a motherly figure. I was also surprised that she wasn't at the wedding over the summer.

Message Edited by Auror_in_Training on 10-25-2007 08:43 AM
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Minerva I think is older than hagrid…. Much much older… well we know who to ask!

Im off to that thread right now! ***hick!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Minerva I think is older than hagrid…. Much much older… well we know who to ask!

Minerva McGonnagal was born Oct 4, 1925.

Rubeus Hagrid was born Dec 6, 1928.

Source: The HP Lexicon. JKR has supplied birth dates for characters throughout the years on her web site where she posts Happy Birthday messages to her characters. The HP Lexicon keeps track of these tidbits...

Hagrid just seems so much younger because he is emotionally less mature, I think...
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ok look you guys! Before you think im being stupid… I already explained why I can’t access other sites ! just barnes and nobles… lol

Now im in shock.. thanks psycheee…
How cute would it be to have somebody as old as hagrid to be like that?
HOR obviously didn’t show awkwardness to him, for being rude sometimes, because of their age gap! Sheesh! :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

So, what you're saying is Minerva was in school with Voldy too!

If she was just 3 years older than Hagrid that would have put her at Hogwarts with voldy! Now I never got the impression that she 'knew' him other than he was the prat trying to take over the world.

Of course we didn't really get a lot of background on Minerva, did we?

Psychee wrote:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Source: The HP Lexicon. JKR has supplied birth dates for characters throughout the years on her web site where she posts Happy Birthday messages to her characters. The HP Lexicon keeps track of these tidbits...

Hagrid just seems so much younger because he is emotionally less mature, I think...

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

hmm.. too bad.. i wish we had a glimpse of a younger her! you think she's worse than hermione at being a know it all?? lol
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Hagrid does seem emotionally less mature, but I think it's understandable. His mother deserted him, his father died shortly after Hagrid started at Hogwarts, he is expelled for something he didn't do, and, through Dumbledore's intervention became gamekeeper where he could indulge his love of magical creatures. He lived kind of a rough and tumble existence and was treated by some, like Draco, as a kind of servant.

Minerva was cross with Hagrid at times, and did question Dumbledore on the wisdom of entrusting Hagrid with important tasks. And Hagrid did have difficulty keeping secrets didn't he. However, after Dumbledore dies and Minerva assembles the heads of house to discuss what to do, she includes Hagrid and says something to the effect of..Dumbledore always trusted your opinions, and so do I. I found that very touching.

blockquote>

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Oh yes … that was a great moment wobbles…
Dumbledore was hagrid’s protector…
When I wasn’t a member of the club yet , I only had my cousin to speculate with…
So I thought now that dumbledore’s gone.. what would happen to Hogwarts?
I really thought hagrid was a gonner, I thougjt nasty things like giants will stomp on Hogwarts and become Azkaban guards or something and kill hagrid…
So I guess its just like a brother sister thing between mcG and hagrid,,,
:smileysurprised::smileysurprised::smileysurprised: oohhh I feel sad again… this you’re fault wobbles