Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Auror_in_Training wrote:
So, what you're saying is Minerva was in school with Voldy too!

If she was just 3 years older than Hagrid that would have put her at Hogwarts with voldy! Now I never got the impression that she 'knew' him other than he was the prat trying to take over the world.

Of course we didn't really get a lot of background on Minerva, did we?

Yes, Minerva would have been in the class just above Riddle -- but she was in Gryffindor. I bet she saw right through his facade of over politeness. Probably thought of him as an "Eddie Haskall" kind of guy, lol... (That's from "Leave It To Beaver" for you younger folks :smileyhappy: )
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Wouldn’t it be so lovely if riddle and Minerva was in the same class??
I bet she’s really good and intelligent and there will be a rivalry between them on who the best student is.. lol
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Yikes, as in "you're looking particularly lovely today Mrs. Cleaver!" LOL and :smileyhappy: all over the place.

I bet she saw right through his facade of over politeness. Probably thought of him as an "Eddie Haskall" kind of guy, lol... (That's from "Leave It To Beaver" for you younger folks :smileyhappy: )

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Yikes, as in "you're looking particularly lovely today Mrs. Cleaver!" LOL and :smileyhappy: all over the place.

I bet she saw right through his facade of over politeness. Probably thought of him as an "Eddie Haskall" kind of guy, lol... (That's from "Leave It To Beaver" for you younger folks :smileyhappy: )

That's just the way I bet he acted, and I could see McGonnagal rolling her eyes at him.

At some point, she must have been Head Girl, and I could see her taking Hagrid under her wing and being outraged at his expulsion at the hands of Riddle. It might have been just the circumstance under which she and Albus developed that trusting bond... He would notice that she had not been deceived and she would know he hadn't been deceived as well and there would have been an unspoken "look" between them that later, when she was older, would have been firm foundation for mutual respect...
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Good morning Psychee.

I can't see Minerva being taken in by Riddle either, she's just too sharp. Dumbledore, or course, had reason to be suspicious of Riddle because of the orphanage scene, but I expect Minerva just recognized sucking up when she saw it. Interesting that both Minerva and Dumbledore were Transfiguration teachers, perhaps he took a particular interest in Minerva because she must have excelled in his class.

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

That's just the way I bet he acted, and I could see McGonnagal rolling her eyes at him.

At some point, she must have been Head Girl, and I could see her taking Hagrid under her wing and being outraged at his expulsion at the hands of Riddle. It might have been just the circumstance under which she and Albus developed that trusting bond... He would notice that she had not been deceived and she would know he hadn't been deceived as well and there would have been an unspoken "look" between them that later, when she was older, would have been firm foundation for mutual respect...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Good morning Psychee.

I can't see Minerva being taken in by Riddle either, she's just too sharp. Dumbledore, or course, had reason to be suspicious of Riddle because of the orphanage scene, but I expect Minerva just recognized sucking up when she saw it. Interesting that both Minerva and Dumbledore were Transfiguration teachers, perhaps he took a particular interest in Minerva because she must have excelled in his class.

Good Morning to you, too! And yes, I agree wholeheartedly that the Transfiguration connection would have been a good basis for their mutual respect...
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Ok, my impression is that she was badly beaten, and may have suffered brain damage. The boys were afraid and angry and attacked her. She was badly beaten, and took permanent injury because of it, thus causing her to be unable to control her magic.. IMHO.
I do not think Jo.. even as unwritten backstory, would have included the rape of a 6 year old. It is just not her style.

Auror_in_Training wrote:
"When my sister was six years old, she was attacked, set upon, by three Muggle boys. They'd seen her doing magic, spying through the back garden hedge: She was a kid, she couldn't control it, no witch or wizard can at that age. What they saw scared them, I expect. They forced their way through the hedge, and when she couldn't show them the trick, they got a bit carried away trying to stop the little freak doing it." - Aberforth
yadi yadi . . . then:
"It destroyed her, what they did: She was never right again. She wouldn't use magic, but she couldn't get rid of it; it turned inward and drove her mad, it exploded out of her when she couldn't control it, and at times she was strange and dangerous. But mostly she was sweet and harmless." - Aberforth

That's why good ole dad went after them and attacked them and probably why Albus didn't try to deny his father had done. Because it never said he was ashamed or embarrassed of what his father had done. Yet it didn't color his opinion of the whole muggle race, we also don't know if it colored any of the rest of his family against the entire muggle community. Just the 3 boys that offended her in some way.

I just don't know that we can conclude she was raped. I know the first time I read that, that was indeed my impression. But looking back it is fairly vague, I can't imagine what else they could've done that would've been so devistating that she wouldn't be able to recover and she'd be torchered the rest of her life by it. I mean they could've beaten her but it really does sound more sinister.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

In my morning re-read of the Elder Wand chapter of DH, I noticed a line I had overlooked before (I am sure there are many more). Voldy is in the shrieking shack, and Lucius is pleading to be allowed to go into the castle and look for Draco. Voldy says (my page 641) "If your son is dead, Lucius, it is not my fault. He did not come and join me, like the rest of the Slytherins." "No-never", whispered Malfoy.

I had thought when the entire Slytherin gang was evacuated, that they probably just went to Hogsmeade and kept themselves out of danger (except Draco, Crabbe and Goyle who had other plans). Voldemort's statement implies that the Slytherins actually joined him, rather than just staying out of the way. Yet I don't remember any Slytherin students taking part in the fight on Voldemort's side. What do you think Voldemort meant by this? Had the Slytherin students actually "gone over" and pledged their allegiance, if so, why didn't we see any of them, at least the older students, in the battle. How did they even manage to "join" Voldemort if they were evacuated to the Hogshead? Was Voldemort just blowing smoke, so to speak, to torment Lucius?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
In my morning re-read of the Elder Wand chapter of DH, I noticed a line I had overlooked before (I am sure there are many more). Voldy is in the shrieking shack, and Lucius is pleading to be allowed to go into the castle and look for Draco. Voldy says (my page 641) "If your son is dead, Lucius, it is not my fault. He did not come and join me, like the rest of the Slytherins." "No-never", whispered Malfoy.

I had thought when the entire Slytherin gang was evacuated, that they probably just went to Hogsmeade and kept themselves out of danger (except Draco, Crabbe and Goyle who had other plans). Voldemort's statement implies that the Slytherins actually joined him, rather than just staying out of the way. Yet I don't remember any Slytherin students taking part in the fight on Voldemort's side. What do you think Voldemort meant by this? Had the Slytherin students actually "gone over" and pledged their allegiance, if so, why didn't we see any of them, at least the older students, in the battle. How did they even manage to "join" Voldemort if they were evacuated to the Hogshead? Was Voldemort just blowing smoke, so to speak, to torment Lucius?

I missed that aspect of the comment as well, Mollywobbles. Good spotting!

I would guess that he is referring to those Slytherin students who had Death Eater parents. These could have been students and parents whom we had never met through the books, so we wouldn't have recognized them by name when or if we saw them fighting.

But also, I would imagine that they would have been part of the army fighting outside against Lupin and the others in the first battle and we didn't get to see that action at all because Harry was indoors.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Well, aside from Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle, you're right, there aren't that many Slytherin students we know. It would have been interesting if we had seen Pansy Parkinson, or Milicent Bulstrode, or Blaise Zabini somewhere in the action, however. When Voldemort goes back to the castle with Harry's supposedly dead body, you would think that the whole gang would be following in his wake, eager to gloat over their defeated classmates. Still, I guess there were bigger things happening than worrying about what happened to the Slytherins who had joined up.

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

I would guess that he is referring to those Slytherin students who had Death Eater parents. These could have been students and parents whom we had never met through the books, so we wouldn't have recognized them by name when or if we saw them fighting.

But also, I would imagine that they would have been part of the army fighting outside against Lupin and the others in the first battle and we didn't get to see that action at all because Harry was indoors.

Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

I love Minerva, she reminds me of me. I like to follow the rules! You know Hagrid would be 3 years her junior in her own house and I'm pretty sure she'd have been a prefect. Thus setting their relationship for life! Nervie being the motherly type that she is and a rule follower that she is. She'd have always had that motherly love for someone has endearing as Hagrid. I think some people just have that childlike quality for life, and Hagger was just that kinda guy.

I really felt most of the people in Gryf were very endearing. I just loved all of them. Possibly it was part of their qualities the sorting hat picked up on.
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
0 Kudos

Except for the major death eaters none of them were mentioned. I mean Voldy said his Death Eaters outnumbered the Hogwartians but the only DEs we heard about were the regulars, so they wouldn't have mentioned the kids, would they?

Mollywobbles wrote:
Well, aside from Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle, you're right, there aren't that many Slytherin students we know. It would have been interesting if we had seen Pansy Parkinson, or Milicent Bulstrode, or Blaise Zabini somewhere in the action, however. When Voldemort goes back to the castle with Harry's supposedly dead body, you would think that the whole gang would be following in his wake, eager to gloat over their defeated classmates. Still, I guess there were bigger things happening than worrying about what happened to the Slytherins who had joined up.

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I just thought the line was odd. I had thought, as Phineas had suggested, that Slytherins would first and foremost, save their own necks, and I figured the evacuated Slytherins would just stay safe in Hogsmeade. But when Voldy says that to Lucius, I wondered why we didn't see the Slytherin students who had supposedly "joined him". It might have made for some interesting confrontations amongst the overage students who stayed, say duels between Pansy Parkinson and Lavender Brown, or Millicent Bulstrode and Hermione.

Auror_in_Training wrote:
Except for the major death eaters none of them were mentioned. I mean Voldy said his Death Eaters outnumbered the Hogwartians but the only DEs we heard about were the regulars, so they wouldn't have mentioned the kids, would they?

Mollywobbles wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Most of them didn’t know what they were getting into.
Goyle has bananas where his brain should be!

“hi im goyle and im going to produce cursed fire! –WHHOOSSHHH oh no I don’t know how to stop it!”

I hate him. Stupid git,

Anyway I learned how people can be such hypocrites. They’re all blabbing about being in or pro voldemort when they can’t even get near the guy or look him in the eye… I think the slytherin kids like pamsy Parkinson knew nothing but to yack, but deep down they’re all cowards.
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

mrsRW it was Crabbe not Goyle who set the fire.
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

It seems rather fitting that he was the one who died in the Fiendfyre, doesn't it?

blinkgirl89 wrote:
mrsRW it was Crabbe not Goyle who set the fire.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Exactly. Proves there really is what you call Karma .
Wobbles you’re back! Hellooooooooo!
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm back! But my computer is having a hissy fit. It's taking forever to post things, move between threads etc. Either there's something amiss with my pc, or their doing updates to the B & N site. Not sure which yet.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Exactly. Proves there really is what you call Karma .
Wobbles you’re back! Hellooooooooo!

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

The site isn’t slowing dear! I think eezzz you’re computah! **poor wobbles!
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

It is working fine for me. I think you pc needs a speed charm :smileywink:
On a wing and a prayer.