Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles

Re: Tiny questions that don't matter but I'm asking anyway

Ron did magic the lace off his dress robes..he used a severing charm I think. But he wasn't very good at householdy spells, and left a lot of loose threads.

PEGSmom wrote:
Good question. I never understood why Ron couldn't have at least magic-ted the lace off those nasty dress robes.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Ok. Here’s a question that might not matter to ya’ll but it matters to me!
Lol

They are wizards right? (duh!!!) so there is this grawps elemental thingie , I forgot already sheesh!
What do you call that rule in magic,like not being able to really produce food from thin air?

Anyway, heres something for you all.

I know the weasley’s were poor (not anymore humph)
And lupin was having financial difficulties because he’s unemployed and is a werewolf…

Why can’t they do something like for example , on Ron, who has robes too short for him , something as simple as making the robes longer, or fixing the fringes?

Or isn’t there something they can do for Lupin’s shabby ones, I understand that if JKR did that, then we wouldn’t be able to classify their actual character.
But then again, it would make sense if she did.

I just don’t under stand why dear Ronald cant wear good robes at the ball! Gggrrr!

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

blinkgirl89 wrote:
ok i don't know if someone already ask this but do you need your wand to disapparated?
sorry i just don't remember and its been bugging me.

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 10-30-2007 04:59 PM

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 10-30-2007 05:39 PM

Yes you do, remember when Harry said "Those of you who don't have wands, hang on to someone who does."? He said this in DH during the ministry scene. One question... do you think Hagrid was REALLY buying flesh eating slug repellent in Knockturn Ally in book 2?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:

blinkgirl89 wrote:
ok i don't know if someone already ask this but do you need your wand to disapparated?
sorry i just don't remember and its been bugging me.

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 10-30-2007 04:59 PM

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 10-30-2007 05:39 PM

Yes you do, remember when Harry said "Those of you who don't have wands, hang on to someone who does."? He said this in DH during the ministry scene. One question... do you think Hagrid was REALLY buying flesh eating slug repellent in Knockturn Ally in book 2?

i thought that was because of the dementors.
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:
One question... do you think Hagrid was REALLY buying flesh eating slug repellent in Knockturn Ally in book 2?

Yes. Why would he lie?
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

He did have kind of a furtive air about him. Flesh eating slugs must be a common gardening problem, why would the repellent be sold in Knockturn Alley rather than in the regular apothecary shop in Diagon Alley?

Psychee wrote:

agnijay wrote:
One question... do you think Hagrid was REALLY buying flesh eating slug repellent in Knockturn Ally in book 2?

Yes. Why would he lie?

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Hagrid had been breeding illegal creatures we all know that and who can forget about aragog???
I don’t blame ron for not wanting to help with grawp. I mean, hagrid, come on!!! Lol

So he probably was buying things or swapping things for some more exotic illegal creatures :smileysurprised:
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Two questions:

I imagine most of the damage done to the castle during the battle can be repared by the teachers with the reparo spell. But what about the damage done by the fiendfyre. Fiendfyre is pretty strong stuff, strong enough to kill a horcrux, and so dangerous that Hermione never even considered using it on a horcrux even though it would work. Will the ROR ever work again (I think maybe somebody wondered about that somewhere else, but I don't remember anybody commenting). The ROR obviously has pretty strong magic itself, as the fiendfyre didn't spread to the rest of the castle, but was its magic damaged. If some kid needs a place to stash stuff in the future, and lucks into the ROR, will the fiendfyre still be ragin in there, or would it die out after it had consumed all the stuff in there?

Second question. The Chamber of Secrets. Why, after COS, didn't somebody, Dumbledore, the other teachers, go back in to see what else might have been left in there by Slytherin? Seems after Harry et al escaped, everybody just forgot about it. You'd think, if for no other reason than hygene,somebody would have gone in to remove the dead basilisk-wouldn't it start to smell after 4 years down there?
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I'm thinking if they did check out the chamber, which they probably did, it's another Harry's-point-of-veiw-dimming-ours situation. Harry, being twelve and utterly unconcerned w/ anything but having kept his own life, would not have thought of anyone going BACK into the chamber, it just wouldn't have occurred to him. thus we will never know.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

But who else in the castle is a parseltongue? I know Dumbledore spoke a bunch of languages, but I don't think he had the snake-talking ability. So, presumably, Harry would have had to help open the chamber again. I would think, even if the stink of a decaying basilisk didn't bother them, the teachers might have wanted to remove the dangerous basilisk fangs just in case anybody stumbled on the chamber in the future. They apparently made no effort to seal the entry for good because Ron was able to open it without too much trouble. Again, small questions.

ABI wrote:
I'm thinking if they did check out the chamber, which they probably did, it's another Harry's-point-of-veiw-dimming-ours situation. Harry, being twelve and utterly unconcerned w/ anything but having kept his own life, would not have thought of anyone going BACK into the chamber, it just wouldn't have occurred to him. thus we will never know.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Well, you've just proven that it is easier than it seems to reenter the chamber. "Open" in parseltongue is apparently not so difficult. (I mean, Ron managed, right?)

I guess the school just figured no one would figure out how to speak it. "Parseltongue for Dummies" was probably kept in the restricted section. lol.
Mollywobbles

Parseltongue for Dummies :smileyhappy: love it. But you'd better be careful about insinuating that if Ron can do it, anybody can...his womenfolk will be all over you.

Ron just imitated what he had heard Harry do, so if it was that easy, why didn't somebody get the password and go clean up basilisk goo?

ABI wrote:
Well, you've just proven that it is easier than it seems to reenter the chamber. "Open" in parseltongue is apparently not so difficult. (I mean, Ron managed, right?)

I guess the school just figured no one would figure out how to speak it. "Parseltongue for Dummies" was probably kept in the restricted section. lol.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

You have a point, but who else would know to imitate it? It was only Ron who heard Harry in the first place. And who would want to enter the chamber in the first place? Come on, even the supposal "tough" kids would never get up the courage to slide down that pipe when truly faced with it, right?

and yes, i'll be careful...
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Good question wobbles!
I have a question, was winky in book 7?
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think we're talking at cross purposes, I'll try to explain myself a little more clearly...need more tea.

After Harry's experience in the chamber, where he was nearly killed with basilisk poison, nobody in authority did anything about going back into the chamber to pick up and dispose of the basilisk body and fangs. Nobody did anything about permanently sealing off the entry to the chamber. Perhaps they thought nobody else could enter the chamber because nobody but Harry (at least at the time) was a parselmouth, and so they didn't worry about it. This was a bit of a risk, because Ron was able to enter the chamber just by imitating Harry, how could the teachers be so sure nobody else would have a go at it.

The legend of the chamber said it would be opened by the heir of Slytherin who would unleash the horror within. Were the teachers that confident that the basilisk was the only horror contained in the chamber? I guess so. I don't know that I would have been that confident that Salazar only had one trick up his sleeve. Since, at the end of COS, Voldy is still out there somewhere, it would have seemed prudent for the teachers to completely empty and seal off the chamber.

ABI wrote:
You have a point, but who else would know to imitate it? It was only Ron who heard Harry in the first place. And who would want to enter the chamber in the first place? Come on, even the supposal "tough" kids would never get up the courage to slide down that pipe when truly faced with it, right?

and yes, i'll be careful...

Mollywobbles

I don't remember seeing Winky in DH. Personally, I think they sent her to the Betty Ford Clinic, Elf wing, to dry out.:smileyhappy:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Good question wobbles!
I have a question, was winky in book 7?

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Yes. It would have been prudent, you are right. But then we get into the whole, why not before then? I mean, Dumbledore MUST have known some Parseltongue, right? Or at least, if he tried, he would have been capable of opening the Chamber. So why the heck would any sane adult WAIT for complete chaos to ensue, when the "heir" supposedly returned?

Maybe since I'm sure DD was aware that Voldy was the heir, perhaps he just figured there would never be another, as Voldy (hopefully) never had any kids. But MoM...wouldn't it be appropriate for the chamber to be cleared out? Or wasn't anyone aware of the fact that the beast was still in there?

ahhh! Molly, this is a question for Psychee. Obviously not me.

PErhaps Slytherin put a curse on the chamber, to make it impenetrable as far as sealing it off went.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

**nosebleeding…

urrgghh’
we can do this without psycheee!! But of course, our beautiful heads put together we can come to a conclusion!!!
Ok I suppose Dumbledore knew tom riddle had something to do with the horrors in the castle especially when myrtle died..
Here are the ‘holes’ in the story. Well at least for me:
Didn’t they make further investigation about the chamber?
Myrtle returned as a ghost , therefore students and teachers know her.
Teachers woulda had the sense to ask what and where the creature lived.,
*Dumbledore may have suspected riddle but he may have not known at the time where the actual chamber is. But still (myrtle was there!!!!! Ask her!!!)

I thought Dumbledore can speak parsletongue? Not sure.but I really think so. He can talk mermish for goodsake sake! :smileysurprised:

Question, do you think HRO had body odor ?because it was only in the lake was it featured that harry and ron took a bath.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I don't think anybody knew where the entry to the chamber was. Harry just figured it out because of his chat with Aragog.

There is a bit of a mixed story about the existence of the Chamber anyway. When Hermione asks Binns to relate the story of the Chamber, Binns says that the castle had been searched many times, and no chamber has ever been found. Yet, when Myrtle is killed, they assume the monster was Aragog.

I always thought the entry to the chamber through the sink in the bathroom would make a neat ride at the HP theme park. :smileyhappy:

ABI wrote:
Yes. It would have been prudent, you are right. But then we get into the whole, why not before then? I mean, Dumbledore MUST have known some Parseltongue, right? Or at least, if he tried, he would have been capable of opening the Chamber. So why the heck would any sane adult WAIT for complete chaos to ensue, when the "heir" supposedly returned?

Maybe since I'm sure DD was aware that Voldy was the heir, perhaps he just figured there would never be another, as Voldy (hopefully) never had any kids. But MoM...wouldn't it be appropriate for the chamber to be cleared out? Or wasn't anyone aware of the fact that the beast was still in there?

ahhh! Molly, this is a question for Psychee. Obviously not me.

PErhaps Slytherin put a curse on the chamber, to make it impenetrable as far as sealing it off went.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Nobody seems to have asked ghostly Myrtle how she died, until Harry does. Besides, she pretty much holed up in the ladies loo. I know she seems pleased when Harry and Ron seek her out and ask her how she died. I know Dumbledore can speak Mermish and Gobbledygook, but Parseltongue...don't know. He sure could have asked Harry to teach him a few words after COS, in order to go and check out the chamber.

As to the bathrooms, you are forgetting the luxurious tub in the prefects bathroom where Harry figures out the clue to the 2nd tri-wiz task. I imagine the bathrooms for the other students are functional, if not quite as luxurious...I would love a swim in that prefects bath, all those taps with different bubbles and scents and stuff.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
**nosebleeding…

urrgghh’
we can do this without psycheee!! But of course, our beautiful heads put together we can come to a conclusion!!!
Ok I suppose Dumbledore knew tom riddle had something to do with the horrors in the castle especially when myrtle died..
*Dumbledore may have suspected riddle but he may have not known at the time where the actual chamber is. But still (myrtle was there!!!!! Ask her!!!)

I thought Dumbledore can speak parsletongue? Not sure.but I really think so. He can talk mermish for goodsake sake! :smileysurprised:

Question, do you think HRO had body odor ?because it was only in the lake was it featured that harry and ron took a bath.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
**nosebleeding…

urrgghh’

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

oh, yes, I haven't read CoS for a long time, which I'm sure is obvious.

But wouldn't Myrtle be put under investigation? I mean, as a ghost? Not that they would have got much out of her..

my question would be, why not Dumbledore? I mean, the man had to have a more than vague idea of what had went on? He knew Hagrid wasn't the culprit, and probably knew Riddle had framed him, so why did he not delve deeper into the topic?

And why, might I ask, are we to assume Hagird remained so oddly quiet on the subject, knowing Riddle had framed him, if not that Riddle himself was to blame, it seems logical for him to have brought up this fact. And so then Riddle would have been logically questioned, right? I mean, just to be fair. And did Hagrid get any sort of trial for this? Was he only accused, and his wand snapped? It must have been a relatively hurried ordeal, what with Myrtle's parents on edge, and the whole subject attempted to be kept quiet, but it just would seem...I mean, did Hagrid have ANY say in the matter?