Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome! Introduce Yourself Here!

I'm thrilled to be able to talk to a Chinese person in China!  This is a rare opportunity for me to learn something about your culture. 

I'm sorry to hear that the Chinese translations were bad.  I read somewhere that there were two official translations of the books in Chinese -- one called "simplified" and the other called "traditional".  The traditional one was published by Crown Publishing Company.  I also read that many non-official, or pirated, translations were published early on.  I wonder if the humor is better in one version versus another.

I'd love to learn examples of how the language differences would make a difference in the humor... can you think of any?

Frequent Contributor
matrim
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:

I'm thrilled to be able to talk to a Chinese person in China!  This is a rare opportunity for me to learn something about your culture

I'm sorry to hear that the Chinese translations were badI read somewhere that there were two official translations of the books in Chinese -- one called "simplified" and the other called "traditional".  The traditional one was published by Crown Publishing CompanyI also read that many non-official, or pirated, translations were published early onI wonder if the humor is better in one version versus another.

I'd love to learn examples of how the language differences would make a difference in the humor... can you think of any?

Well, to tell you the truth, youths in China nowadays are more interested in western cultures than in our own....

I didn't say the Chinese version is "bad", it's just not that enjoyable and  misses some glamour. Most Chinese kids read the translated version although some bought the books in  English and delved into them with the help of a dictionary. I haven't checked out all the translations, but I think even the best can't overcome the language obstacles. For example, word games as "You Know Who" and "You No Poo" can't be properly translated into  Chinese without losing the humor. What's more, Chinese sentence structures are simpler than that of English, so to make the translation idiomatic, the translator has to rearrange the sentence strictures, therefore  disturbing the rhythm. In the books, characters have their own styles of speech, so one can easily distinguish Hagrid from Dumbledore as the former speaks casually with a dialect and some non-standard usage while the latter speaks formally, using long and complicated sentences. It's one means of characterization. But in Chinese translation, the difference is much less pronounced.

Message Edited by matrim on 05-12-2009 10:45 PM
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Fantasy_FreakAK wrote:

Hello,

My name is Alex. I began reading HP in 3rd grade. Since then I have read all the books multiple times with the first one being the most at 23. Sooo, I think you can say I'm a fanatic.

Welcome, Alex!  Many "fanatics" have been posting here for quite some time.  So, you're in good company!  :smileywink:

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

matrim wrote:

Hello.

My Harry Potter experience is somewhat odd. I didn't pay much attention to the books when they were firstly released (more exactly, 1~5 of the series) until one day I came across the American version of the audiobook, and wow! Instantly enchanted by the fantastic narration of Jim Dale, I sought out all the books and enjoyed them immensely. I've recommened Harry Potter to my friends and those who want to improve their English (I'm Chinese, see) but whose enthusiasm has been dampened by some read of classics like Pride and Prejudice. Many enjoy them as I do, and a friend actually wrote her undergraduate paper on Harry Potter! lol

Welcome, matrim!  I think you're one of the first readers we've heard from who first came to the series through the audio book--I'm sure there must be more folks like you out there, though.

Glad to have you with us!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Matrim--So glad to hear you're joining us from China!  As you can see, we've been talking about the Italian translation lately with a member from Italy.  Would you like me to start a thread, Matrim and Psychee, for discussion of the Chinese translations?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Contributor
Hermione06
0 Kudos

Welcome! Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi! I'm new here and so I just wanted to introduce myself! I have been a huge fan since the second book came out! I was in middle school then and I am in college now! It doesn't seem like it has been that long though!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hermione06 wrote:
Hi! I'm new here and so I just wanted to introduce myself! I have been a huge fan since the second book came out! I was in middle school then and I am in college now! It doesn't seem like it has been that long though!

Welcome, Hermione6!  That's funny that the time seems quick for you, even though you started reading the series back in middle school.  Usually time goes fast for much older folks!

Hope you enjoy being with us!  We're glad you're here.  :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
marymccormick22
0 Kudos

I am 28 yrs old and I am ashamed to say that I just now read all seven books. Now I know what I was missing all these years and why everyone was crazed about these books. I absolutely fell in love with this series!!! After reading the books, I finally watched the movies and I am anticipating the release of the Half Blood Prince. (Can't wait!!!)
Inspired Contributor
Sarasvati
0 Kudos

hello , people of the world. I am Tonainne but i go by Sarasvati. i am a large Hrry potter fan. ! 
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

marymccormick22 wrote:
I am 28 yrs old and I am ashamed to say that I just now read all seven books. Now I know what I was missing all these years and why everyone was crazed about these books. I absolutely fell in love with this series!!! After reading the books, I finally watched the movies and I am anticipating the release of the Half Blood Prince. (Can't wait!!!)

Hi, marymc!  Don't feel too bad.  I tend to be one of those "hype-resisters" myself.  I was intrigued by JKR's story in the beginning, way back when the book was first sold to the U.S. and wasn't even published here yet.  That got me started before the craze really caught on big here and everywhere.  If I'd come into it later, I might be just like you.

Glad to have you, and we hope you'll feel free to talk about anything and everything Harry with us!  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Sarasvati wrote:
hello , people of the world. I am Tonainne but i go by Sarasvati. i am a large Hrry potter fan. ! 

Hello, Sarasvati, person of the world!  We're glad to have you here at the Harry Potter Book Club!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Rose_W
0 Kudos

Hey I just signed up today.

I absolutely love Harry Potter, I am so excited to see a book club!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Rose_W wrote:

Hey I just signed up today.

I absolutely love Harry Potter, I am so excited to see a book club!

Welcome, Rose_W!  We're excited to see *you* here, too!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
MisterJT
0 Kudos

hi there!

name's jack and i'm getting into reading the harry potter series

i bought the whole set used and just finished philosopher's stone.

i watched all the movies first and already know what's happening most of the times but that hasn't spoiled my reading experience at all~ 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

MisterJT wrote:

hi there!

name's jack and i'm getting into reading the harry potter series

i bought the whole set used and just finished philosopher's stone.

i watched all the movies first and already know what's happening most of the times but that hasn't spoiled my reading experience at all~ 

Hey, MisterJT--Welcome!  We're glad to have you with us.  It's interesting to hear that the movies have not spoiled the books for you--there's a lot more in the books, as you'll see.

Let us know what you think!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Wicked-Witchy-Pie-Girl
0 Kudos

Hii, I'm Wicked-Witchy-Pie-Girl. Actually, my name's Casey. I started reading HP when I was 6 or 7 years old. I'm now 15. They are still my favorite books (despite how popular Twilight is with 13-18 year old girls, lol). Actually, HP played a part with my pen name. All the words before "girl" are from a character my 3 favorite actresses played, and "witchy" is for Helena Bonham Carter.

So, yeah, that's all I've got to say for now I guess. Other than that I may burst into song at times ;]. Lol, I think I'm gonna like it here. :robotwink:

"One person's craziness is another person's reality" -Tim Burton
"I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so"-Wicked ("Defying Gravity)

Never judge a book by it's movie (or play or spin offs as the case may be ;])

I love Erik, even when he's ugly.

Edward Cullen is NOT the perfect guy!

Proud fan of Luna Lovegood and Bellatrix Lestrange!
Frequent Contributor
Rose_W
0 Kudos

Hey Casey, I'm Jen

It is so crazy how much we have in common

I am 15 too, and i started reading Harry Potter when i was 6, right before the first movie came out

They are my favorite books too (though i do love twilight too)

See ya!

(p.s. love the tim burton quote!)

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Wicked-Witchy-Pie-Girl wrote:

Hii, I'm Wicked-Witchy-Pie-Girl. Actually, my name's Casey. I started reading HP when I was 6 or 7 years old. I'm now 15. They are still my favorite books (despite how popular Twilight is with 13-18 year old girls, lol). Actually, HP played a part with my pen name. All the words before "girl" are from a character my 3 favorite actresses played, and "witchy" is for Helena Bonham Carter.

So, yeah, that's all I've got to say for now I guess. Other than that I may burst into song at times ;]. Lol, I think I'm gonna like it here. :robotwink:

Welcome, Casey!  Hope you do like it here!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Rose_W wrote:

Hey Casey, I'm Jen

It is so crazy how much we have in common

I am 15 too, and i started reading Harry Potter when i was 6, right before the first movie came out

They are my favorite books too (though i do love twilight too)

See ya!

(p.s. love the tim burton quote!)

Welcome to you, too, Jen!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]