Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Half-Blood_Canadian
0 Kudos

Re: What Will J. K. Rowling Write Next?

that would be really awesome. Has anyone here read the ender's game series? Because after finishing the series Orson Scott Card wrote a couple of short stories about Ender's Father and it really explained alot!! I'd love to read about the story of "James Potter and ....the maurauders? or the friend with a fury little problem?" lol how about..."and the wooing of Lily Evans over a course of seven years!":smileytongue:

tonkshermione wrote:
I was going to say the exact same thing! lol...But if she didnt write about the founders my next hope would be that she writes about the maurderers...But it most likely wont happen :smileysad:

Contributor
Jr55678
0 Kudos

I would love to see her write another series because the books I've read in the past its just to smplistic. so i want her to write another series where she can intertwine things and events much like harry potter.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Half-Blood_C--I like this idea! She could write any number of short stories about some of the lesser known characters, prequel types of things, etc., and the like, without committing to another long series or even another novel about them. That would be fun for many fans to read! Sort of like short visits back to this world. Sheesh--she'd have a lifetime of those she could write and that would likely be very popular. Maybe she'll periodically do something that for charities as well.

~ConnieK, 2 days

Half-Blood_Canadian wrote:
that would be really awesome. Has anyone here read the ender's game series? Because after finishing the series Orson Scott Card wrote a couple of short stories about Ender's Father and it really explained alot!! I'd love to read about the story of "James Potter and ....the maurauders? or the friend with a fury little problem?" lol how about..."and the wooing of Lily Evans over a course of seven years!":smileytongue:

tonkshermione wrote:
I was going to say the exact same thing! lol...But if she didnt write about the founders my next hope would be that she writes about the maurderers...But it most likely wont happen :smileysad:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Well, JKR has already said that she won't be writing any prequels...so sorry you guys...
She did say that if she were ever to write about Hogwarts again it would be an encyclopedia type book on things she didn't answer fully.

But to whoever said something about Ender's Game- great books!

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

If you haven't read them, I recommend the Ender's Shadow series, which are told from Bean's PoV. I liked them a lot better then the last three books in the Original series (Which felt like someone was hitting me in the head with a baseball bat and yelling "Genocide is bad!!" over and over.)

Madelia wrote:
Well, JKR has already said that she won't be writing any prequels...so sorry you guys...
She did say that if she were ever to write about Hogwarts again it would be an encyclopedia type book on things she didn't answer fully.

But to whoever said something about Ender's Game- great books!

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I rather hope the lady takes a well deserved rest. Her life has moved on, but she has been a slave to the need to finish this saga. I don't mean this in the sense of any commercial need, but just rather the need to purge herself of this whole cast of characters. Finishing the final book must be like the last pangs of childbirth-carried the darned thing for so long, now just let me enjoy the baby for a while before I get pregnant again.

I wonder how she is feeling, now that the book is "in the can" so to speak..is she sipping Mai Tai's and saying "thank goodness that's over?" or is she biting her nails, drinking pot after pot of tea, wondering how readers will receive the final book?

I am sure Ms. Rowling could continue the series indefinitely if she wanted to. Even just as a reader, dozens of plot lines have popped into my head. Imagine how many more she has in her notes. Personally, I think I would rather have her leave it as a complete work, as she originally conceived it. It breaks my heart with no book 8 to look forward to, but why mess with perfection.

ConnieK wrote:
Dear Readers,

The wait over the next few days for the appearance of the last book in the Harry Potter series will probably be the hardest for die-hard fans. It's interesting to think that JKR must be waiting as well--not to find out what happens to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, of course, but she must be waiting to see what the reaction will be to the end of the story she has been working on now for 17 years. That's a long time for an author who had a vision for a story to wait for a response from readers about that story's conclusion. She may be more nervous or excited herself for Friday night than many fans realize!

Ms. Rowling has said in recent interviews that she plans to take a break after her publicity obligations for the Harry Potter series are over. Fans expect that she will not go long, however, before she will be at work again on something new (she has already said she started a fairy tale featuring a monster for younger children some time ago). She has also said she may write a reference book about Harry Potter's fantasy world for charity at some point.

What would you like to see JKR write next that is not related to this series? A mystery; whodunnit? A quiet, realistic book about an interior struggle of some kind? More children's books, possibly picture books? An adventure series? Would you like to see another series or individual stories and novels?

Let us know what you'd like to see next from this widely popular author.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-16-2007 11:59 AM

Contributor
stmungos
0 Kudos

I think she would continue to be successful at anything she wishes to write. Look at Anne Rice, her Vampire Chronicles were great works, yet she has many novels as well as another series and she's still hot. I love her work as much as J.K.R. and would like to see what she pulls out of her very magic hat in the future, adult or otherwise. Oh, to be a fly on her wall.....hhmmmm.......
If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

This is the closest thread I can find for this comment, sorry it's a bit off topic.

One of the things that keeps me reading this series over and over is the sheer beauty of Rowling's "wordsmithing". Being on the slippery slope to 60, I dismissed these books for years as being unsuitable for a person of my years. While I much prefer the books to the movies,I am grateful that I saw one of the movies which inspired me to finally, in 2005, go out and buy the books.

I was astonished to find that most of the names of creatures and spells have legitimate latin and greek roots-I confess, some of them sent me back to my bookshelves to find my old Latin school text. (I had to look up Inferius to remember what declension this noun belonged in)

Some of her humourous remarks are, to me, laugh out loud funny!

I also giggle when I read the mixed up words that muggles use for magical terms and vice versa. It tickles me when Arthur talks about "escapators and pumbles" and Ron calls it a "fellytone". Uncle Vernon is not a funny guy, but even he makes me laugh when he refers to "dementoids" and "dismembers".

As I desperately try to make this post fit the thread, I would probably read anything else JKR wrote in the future, just for the pleasure of enjoying her style of writing.
Contributor
notsosnivellus
0 Kudos

I feel the same way! My high school English teacher always sniffed at Harry Potter, saying the books were "entertaining" but not really "good literature." I agree with you a lot more than I agreed with her. Yes, these books are in the "Young Adult" section of most bookstores, but JKR's writing breaks the age barrier. I must confess to pulling out the dictionary and looking up a word while reading on more than one occasion, and the references to mythological creatures like dragons, centaurs, and mandrakes are great!

I started reading Harry Potter when I was a eleven. Back then I loved them because they were "cool" (magic spells, dragons, people flying on broomsticks... what eleven year old WOULDN'T love that?). Now that I'm nineteen and in college, though, I'm more struck by just how good the writing is. JKR has a perfect blend of humor and seriousness that I think would adapt well to any sort of writing she does after Harry Potter. It'd be great if she continued writing about the "Harry Potter world," but even if she doesn't, I'll definitely be picking up any book with the words "by JK Rowling" on the cover. She's just so darn clever!

Mollywobbles wrote:
This is the closest thread I can find for this comment, sorry it's a bit off topic.

One of the things that keeps me reading this series over and over is the sheer beauty of Rowling's "wordsmithing". Being on the slippery slope to 60, I dismissed these books for years as being unsuitable for a person of my years. While I much prefer the books to the movies,I am grateful that I saw one of the movies which inspired me to finally, in 2005, go out and buy the books.

I was astonished to find that most of the names of creatures and spells have legitimate latin and greek roots-I confess, some of them sent me back to my bookshelves to find my old Latin school text. (I had to look up Inferius to remember what declension this noun belonged in)

Some of her humourous remarks are, to me, laugh out loud funny!

I also giggle when I read the mixed up words that muggles use for magical terms and vice versa. It tickles me when Arthur talks about "escapators and pumbles" and Ron calls it a "fellytone". Uncle Vernon is not a funny guy, but even he makes me laugh when he refers to "dementoids" and "dismembers".

As I desperately try to make this post fit the thread, I would probably read anything else JKR wrote in the future, just for the pleasure of enjoying her style of writing.

Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles and notsosnivelus, you both said it perfectly. Despite the critics' scorn she writes cleverly and masterfully
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I rather hope the lady takes a well deserved rest. Her life has moved on, but she has been a slave to the need to finish this saga. I don't mean this in the sense of any commercial need, but just rather the need to purge herself of this whole cast of characters. Finishing the final book must be like the last pangs of childbirth-carried the darned thing for so long, now just let me enjoy the baby for a while before I get pregnant again.

I wonder how she is feeling, now that the book is "in the can" so to speak..is she sipping Mai Tai's and saying "thank goodness that's over?" or is she biting her nails, drinking pot after pot of tea, wondering how readers will receive the final book?

I am sure Ms. Rowling could continue the series indefinitely if she wanted to. Even just as a reader, dozens of plot lines have popped into my head. Imagine how many more she has in her notes. Personally, I think I would rather have her leave it as a complete work, as she originally conceived it. It breaks my heart with no book 8 to look forward to, but why mess with perfection.

I love it Mollywobbles! "now just let me enjoy the baby for a while before I get pregnant again." What a perfect description! In fact I just read an article today that said pretty much the same thing. It said that Rowlings was sad and depressed the first week after she finished writing this last book. After that she felt really good and happy with the results. She said some fans will be upset but the book was what was meant to be. She is enjoying her free time now with her family and not having fans and the press already asking about the next one. There is no pressure this time to start writing. I can't wait to read this book but it will also make me sad. I hate for the magical story of Harry Potter to end but I agree it's time. I'm so happy that I was able to experience it while it was happening.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
Definitely a great idea. Also, a real version of "Hogwart's: A History." We can't let Hermione be the only one ever to read it. :smileyhappy:

NicoleO84 wrote:
I think it would be cool if she wrote a Harry Potter reference book. She has complete back stories for so many characters, and characters she created that were never in the book. It would be interesting to see where so many characters came from and how they would have devloped if their story was in the book. I just think it would be an interesting book. What do you guys think?

Message Edited by NicoleO84 on 07-16-2007 08:29 PM

Hogwarts, A History. That would be interesting.
On another note, if J.K. Rowling did write something completely unrelated couldn't you see her adding in a character who was reading a book about 'a kid with a lightning bolt scar'? Just as a reminder to us HP fans that she didn't forget us.
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Half-Blood_Canadian wrote:
it would be cool if she did another fantasy,but this time have the protagonist be a girl. i would like to see how she develops a female lead compared to harry-a male lead. But it should remain a childrens or young adult book because kids books are more fun...and they give you opportunities to dress up for pure joy of a book. Plus, this new series would get a whole new generation of kids reading...that is...if they dont read HP first!!!

As long as she doesn't have a cloud shaped scar somewhere....
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Oh, I like that and could very well see it happening!

~ConnieK, 14 hrs.+, Eastern (sorry, West Coast!)

midnite_writer wrote, in part:
On another note, if J.K. Rowling did write something completely unrelated couldn't you see her adding in a character who was reading a book about 'a kid with a lightning bolt scar'? Just as a reminder to us HP fans that she didn't forget us.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Really interesting ideas! I'd certainly be interested in the backstories, but I agree that it would be really interesting to read something entirely different and see how she'd handle it--maybe a gritty contemporary mystery set in London or something.

Rachel
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

We've unlocked this thread -- it's available for posts again.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Whatever she writes, I'm hoping that it will include two types of characters she does extremely well --

1. A feisty old lady

2. A very quick witted regally mannered Dumbledore type of character who responds so exquisitely to impoliteness in others... some of the best lines in this series came from Dumbledore...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Maybe she'll write a series with Harry's kids and his school mates where another wizard goes wrong and Albus, James, Lily, Rose, Hugo etc are the main characters.

Psychee wrote:
Whatever she writes, I'm hoping that it will include two types of characters she does extremely well --

1. A feisty old lady

2. A very quick witted regally mannered Dumbledore type of character who responds so exquisitely to impoliteness in others... some of the best lines in this series came from Dumbledore...

New User
rhcpfan04
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Maybe she'll write a series with Harry's kids and his school mates where another wizard goes wrong and Albus, James, Lily, Rose, Hugo etc are the main characters.

Psychee wrote:

1. A feisty old lady

I don't think it would that interesting.
But I would like to see a book with a bunch of short stories that relate to the Harry Potter books. stuff like lupin becoming a werewolf or voldemort torturing the kids from the orphanage.

Message Edited by rhcpfan04 on 07-23-2007 02:12 PM
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I would find it interesting, but yeah, also any kind of background stories would be great. She'll probably not write anymore about Harry, but man, to dream that she would : )

rhcpfan04 wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

1. A feisty old lady

I don't think it would that interesting.
But I would like to see a book with a bunch of short stories that relate to the Harry Potter books. stuff like lupin becoming a werewolf or voldemort torturing the kids from the orphanage.

Message Edited by rhcpfan04 on 07-23-2007 02:12 PM