Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

Re: What Will J. K. Rowling Write Next?

She's mentioned writing a prequel about the life of Dumbledore. I'd love to see him go up against the Nazis.

I'm betting lots of other people noticed Dumbledore's childhood friend Grindelwald. The man was a famous dark wizard, obsessed with purity of blood and dominating the human race. He also wanted to collect sacred objects to make himself live forever. Dumbledore stood by as the world grew darker until he could wait no more, and defeated Grindelwald in 1945. (Even though Grindelwald hadn't reached British soil the way he had with other countries). The name, the name of his prison (Nurmengard), and his connection with Durmstrang all have a rather German sound. This can’t be a coincidence. Did Hitler have a magic portrait with “the other minister” offering advice? One has to assume that axis and allies wizards are fighting with similar goals but very different methods at the same time as the muggle war. I could see Dumbledore’s climactic battle ending it for the wizards the same way Hiroshima did for the muggles. JKR has considered doing a biography of Dumbledore. I definitely think his battle for England in WWII would be an exciting tale, as we delve into Hitler's alliance with the most evil dark wizards of the time, before Voldemort rose to power.
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For some reason, I don't think she will return to the world of Harry Potter, at least not for a long time. I hope that she'll keep writing, though. I wonder what she'll do...do you think she's planning anything specific, other than her "encyclopedia" of unused ideas?
Contributor
sparklerhlr
0 Kudos

I would be interested in a story about Albus Severus. it looks like the family Dumbedore had but with possibilites of different tragedies which could be overcome.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Again, I think Jo's done with Harry Potter and his world. I'm sure she's not done writing, though, and it's nice having no idea what's next.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

RiftDoggy wrote:
Again, I think Jo's done with Harry Potter and his world. I'm sure she's not done writing, though, and it's nice having no idea what's next.

Not quite. This may make many of you happy:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks for this, Nadine! The fans are going to cling to this now, and it will probably open up another huge doorway of speculation. :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Nadine wrote:

RiftDoggy wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

RiftDoggy wrote:

Thanks for that! Such great news!

It was Mr. Weasley in book 5 who got the reprieve? Talk about misdirection! She's something else!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

RiftDoggy wrote:

Yay! Thanks, Nadine. This makes it seem like more than just another little charity book (see Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them), like more of a super-huge epilogue. Perhaps like Eddings's Rivan Codex, with a bit of commentary on some of the material.

I'd love to have this, it sounds great.

However, what I meant about "done with HP and her world" is that there isn't going to be a "Albus Dumbledore and the Revenge of the Cupcake Eaters". She's done writing Hogwarts novels, and I can't wait for her to introduce a new world to us, even if it's just a new spin on our own.

I can't wait for the encyclopedia! It will probably be a year or more, since editing and revising all that stuff takes a lot of time and effort. I wonder what it will be like...
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

The News is out! JKR said it herself!

"In her interview with Meredith Vieira of the "Today" show, author JK Rowling confirmed that she will write an encyclopedia of the world of Harry Potter, "promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book's epilogue."

In the past, Jo has said she might write an encyclopedia after the series is over, but this is the first time she has definitively said she will write it.

"I'm not going to (write the encyclopedia) tomorrow because I'd really like a break," she said. "So you may be waiting."

In this article, which contains major plot spoilers, Jo reveals which character got a reprieve and which two she decided to kill instead. She also hints at the futures of several characters who survived."
from Veritaserum.com
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
Contributor
MikeNM
0 Kudos

I would like to see her write some back stories to the HP realm, sort of like Tolkien did to his LotR wrld. I particularly hope she does so so that she can package them up in her magical way, rather than leaving other people to bungle things up based on her notes after she dies.

But, I think she should do something else first...so that her career doesn't get boxed in. I'd like to see an adventure story set in the real world. A Harry Potter sans magic.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Thank you SO much for posting this. I've really taken a liking to the book in my second read but was so disappointed that so much was unanswered. You just made my day : )

valeriefrankel wrote:

"In her interview with Meredith Vieira of the "Today" show, author JK Rowling confirmed that she will write an encyclopedia of the world of Harry Potter, "promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book's epilogue."

In the past, Jo has said she might write an encyclopedia after the series is over, but this is the first time she has definitively said she will write it.

"I'm not going to (write the encyclopedia) tomorrow because I'd really like a break," she said. "So you may be waiting."

In this article, which contains major plot spoilers, Jo reveals which character got a reprieve and which two she decided to kill instead. She also hints at the futures of several characters who survived."
from Veritaserum.com

Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Can I reserve my copy now? :smileyhappy:

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Thank you SO much for posting this. I've really taken a liking to the book in my second read but was so disappointed that so much was unanswered. You just made my day : )

valeriefrankel wrote:

from Veritaserum.com

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

I know she said she wasn't going to start writing it tomorrow but can she start the day after?? :smileyhappy: There's just so much I want to know.
New User
H_Potter_2007
0 Kudos

i just heard on the news that she is planning on writing an encyclopedia about HARRY POTTER!!! omg i can't wait for that!
SUPPORTER OF HARRY POTTER and DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY

DAN RADCLIFFE - HOTTIE ALERT~!
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

And I thought I would never stand in line at midnight almost vibrating from excitement. Another theory down the drain, I was wrong about THAT too : ) I need to go to the hardware store and get some theory draino ; )

dcsbelle wrote:
Can I reserve my copy now? :smileyhappy:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

valeriefrankel wrote:

from Veritaserum.com

Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

You know, I won't even buy it. No more midnight excitement and no more money spent on JKR.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

amm1, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'm re-reading it slower and have a new view on it, its really changed how I see it. Yes, some things are missing that we expected, but if I hadnt researched the cr*p out of it, I wouldnt have missed them. Maybe you should re-read it slower like I am, maybe you will gain a different perspective on it. I'm really enjoying it now. : )

amm1 wrote:
You know, I won't even buy it. No more midnight excitement and no more money spent on JKR.

Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PattyBNUChick wrote:
amm1, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'm re-reading it slower and have a new view on it, its really changed how I see it. Yes, some things are missing that we expected, but if I hadnt researched the cr*p out of it, I wouldnt have missed them. Maybe you should re-read it slower like I am, maybe you will gain a different perspective on it. I'm really enjoying it now. :

I read it very slow the first time and I have been reading it over but I'm sorry, it is the worst of the series and such a huge disappointment in so many ways. And believe me, I'm one of those who always gave JKR slack, never believing she had to be perfect. But I'm sad with this book and have decided for the most part I need to quickly lessened my number of comments and my time spent in this HP world. No one wants to hear from a sour puss all the time :smileytongue: and JKR's world doesn't interest me as much. I find it hard to comment in most of the threads because I'm in such a negative mood about the book but I don't want to constantly be the one to gripe.

Will I bother to buy anything else she writes? Probably not. Again, I want to stress how much I enjoyed the series as a whole and there are some good parts in DH (few) and yet I find her darkness, her flippant death scenes a bit disturbing. I believe she would say the opposite and give her whole speech about death, war and so on but I believe there's a darkness to her that comes out in her writings and I don't like it. I find it hard to believe this wouldn't carry over into other works she may publish.

I'll take with me the good part and the humor and fun from the first books but leave the rest. Whereas there are some good morals in her books, there are also some very lacking ones, IMO. So yes, I'm still depressed over this book and reading it over and over will not change my mind, I'm sad to say.

Message Edited by amm1 on 07-25-2007 09:56 AM
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I know what you're saying, and I respect that. For me, I found a new way to look at the book and its just like when I quit smoking, I changed my mind and saw them in a whole new light and didnt want to smoke anymore. Its very easy to quit that way : ) I did that with this book and its worked. Anyway, I understand you points and I'm glad you still have the good parts in your mind : )

amm1 wrote:
I read it very slow the first time and I have been reading it over but I'm sorry, it is the worst of the series and such a huge disappointment in so many ways. And believe me, I'm one of those who always gave JKR slack, never believing she had to be perfect. But I'm sad with this book and have decided for the most part I need to quickly lessened my number of comments and my time spent in this HP world. No one wants to hear from a sour puss all the time :smileytongue: and JKR's world doesn't interest me as much. I find it hard to comment in most of the threads because I'm in such a negative mood about the book but I don't want to constantly be the one to gripe.

Will I bother to buy anything else she writes? Probably not. Again, I want to stress how much I enjoyed the series as a whole and there are some good parts in DH (few) and yet I find her darkness, her flippant death scenes a bit disturbing. I believe she would say the opposite and give her whole speech about death, war and so on but I believe there's a darkness to her that comes out in her writings and I don't like it. I find it hard to believe this wouldn't carry over into other works she may publish.

I'll take with me the good part and the humor and fun from the first books but leave the rest. Whereas there are some good morals in her books, there are also some very lacking ones, IMO. So yes, I'm still depressed over this book and reading it over and over will not change my mind, I'm sad to say.

Message Edited by amm1 on 07-25-2007 09:56 AM

New User
wesleyisourking
0 Kudos

I wouldn't mind her writing an adventure series with a girl as the main character. When she says she will either write a childrens book or an adult book, I wouldn't consider Harry Potter a childrens series. The first and possibly second books were for children, but the books became progressively more dark and adult-like. Anything by JK Rowling will probably be good because she is such a good storyteller. Just because it isn't Harry doesn't mean it's not her style.