Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
GinnyWeaslby
0 Kudos

Re: What Will J. K. Rowling Write Next?

she said in a couple of years she will write a harry potter encyclopedia and she is going to be on nbc today show july 27 and dateline 29
~Nittwit Oddment BlubberTweak~
~GInny W ~
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I think Kreacher should have his own cartoon show... :smileyhappy:

He could start by tracking down all the Black Family heirlooms...
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

It looks like she is considering both an adult and children's book but not another magical world one.

----------------------------

Rowling, whose seven Potter books have sold more than 335 million copies worldwide, said she plans to take time off to be with her family and will continue writing. She told USA Today she has two writing projects _ one for children and one for adults.

But whether she will write about her young wizard again, she said: "I think I've kind of done the wizarding world. ... I have done my Harry Potter."

---------------------------------------------
Nadine
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
It looks like she is considering both an adult and children's book but not another magical world one.

----------------------------

Rowling, whose seven Potter books have sold more than 335 million copies worldwide, said she plans to take time off to be with her family and will continue writing. She told USA Today she has two writing projects _ one for children and one for adults.

But whether she will write about her young wizard again, she said: "I think I've kind of done the wizarding world. ... I have done my Harry Potter."

---------------------------------------------

Here is her actual interview with USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2007-07-25-jk-rowling_N.htm
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Wouldn't that be a hoot : )

Psychee wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Lots of frying pan action, lol... and Dung can be his arch-enemy...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The possibilities for tv shows would be endless with this stuff. Probably most of it would wind up hard to watch though. Its hard enough watching the real movies with the characters from the books in my head, I'd hate to think what kind of cartoon they could come up with that would cause me to go running down the street screaming. : ) Kreacher could be cool though.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Message Edited by PattyBNUChick on 07-26-2007 12:19 PM
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I know most people make the actor's fit their view of the characters, but I can't.. which is probably why I don't like the Movie version of Moody, one of my favorite characters, he just doesn't seem scary enough, or intense enough, (And I don't think he looks right either)

PattyBNUChick wrote:
The possibilities for tv shows would be endless with this stuff. Probably most of it would wind up hard to watch though. Its hard enough watching the real movies with the characters from the books in my head, I'd hate to think what kind of cartoon they could come up with that would cause me to go running down the street screaming. : ) Kreacher could be cool though.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Voldemort doesn't look scary enough in the movie imo.

ShadowCougar wrote:
I know most people make the actor's fit their view of the characters, but I can't.. which is probably why I don't like the Movie version of Moody, one of my favorite characters, he just doesn't seem scary enough, or intense enough, (And I don't think he looks right either)

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Shadow Cougar I agree totally with not being happy at all with how Moody looks in the movies. He looks well to heavy for the character in the book and while he does seem to have the right amount of crazy to his look it just doesn't work for me.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I believe that JKR will not write another fantasy series because she can't. I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I think the best fantasy writers are the ones that only write once fantasy series or about one fantastic world. Tolkien and Lewis come first to my mind.

If JKR ever does stray into the realm of fantasy again, I would hope that it would at least remain in the magical world she has already created. Any other world would simply not be magic.

Whatever she writes next, I'll be first in line. (Okay, maybe fifth like I was for DH.) She's got a lifetime fan in me and I'll follow her to the ends of the earth.

I'm sorry that there are some fans that are disappointed. When I got to about chapter 32 or 33, I really geared myself up for such a disappointment. But when all was said and done, I put the book down thinking that there was no other way she could have ended the story. I truly believe this ending was as close to perfect as anyone could have hoped from her.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I wonder if a lot of the fans who are disappointed are ones who read too fast like I did. This second re-read, I am completely loving it just like the past HP books. They should give it another shot, it changes everything.

kpeterson32 wrote:
I believe that JKR will not write another fantasy series because she can't. I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I think the best fantasy writers are the ones that only write once fantasy series or about one fantastic world. Tolkien and Lewis come first to my mind.

If JKR ever does stray into the realm of fantasy again, I would hope that it would at least remain in the magical world she has already created. Any other world would simply not be magic.

Whatever she writes next, I'll be first in line. (Okay, maybe fifth like I was for DH.) She's got a lifetime fan in me and I'll follow her to the ends of the earth.

I'm sorry that there are some fans that are disappointed. When I got to about chapter 32 or 33, I really geared myself up for such a disappointment. But when all was said and done, I put the book down thinking that there was no other way she could have ended the story. I truly believe this ending was as close to perfect as anyone could have hoped from her.

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I see your point Patty, but unfortunately the things I am disappointed with are details that won't go away. (I actually enjoyed the book very much). (I didn't like Harry being a horcrux, cause a bit of the soul falling off just seems silly, and we all know I will hate snape till me dying day). I also think some people may not like it cause it feels different from the other books, because it is structured differently without Hogwarts.

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I wonder if a lot of the fans who are disappointed are ones who read too fast like I did. This second re-read, I am completely loving it just like the past HP books. They should give it another shot, it changes everything.

kpeterson32 wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I really do hear you ShadowCougar, there are parts I dont particularly care for either or would have written it differenly myself, but as an overall experience, I like it and having had so much wealth added to my life with the first 6 books, I refuse to let this one get me down, so Im plowing forward, taking the things I like about it and trying to just gloss over the things I dont. But I do understand your points, theyre very valid. When I find myself getting frustrated at the missing parts or the parts I dont like, I just close my eyes and imagine myself sitting in a field of cupcakes, light breeze twirling my hair, sun shining...I reach down and break open one of the cupcakes, grab the filling and playfully fling it into the air...Ah : )

ShadowCougar wrote:
I see your point Patty, but unfortunately the things I am disappointed with are details that won't go away. (I actually enjoyed the book very much). (I didn't like Harry being a horcrux, cause a bit of the soul falling off just seems silly, and we all know I will hate snape till me dying day). I also think some people may not like it cause it feels different from the other books, because it is structured differently without Hogwarts

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Here's an interview in USA Today. Rowling talks about the leaks and what she's writing now a tiny bit at the bottom.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2007-07-25-jk-rowling_N.htm
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

But both Tolkien and Lewis did write other things...better check it out! :smileyhappy: "The Screwtape Letters" are great - so is Tolkiens "Father Christmas Letters". None of them are really big, but great reading!

Linda
"Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new"
- Georgia O'Keefe
If life only amounts to a hill of beans, please let it be jelly beans!
Nadine
0 Kudos

-----------------------------------------------

I agree with you, Patty. I read most of the book very quickly afraid of not getting through it before someone spoiled the ending. I discovered that I was missing so much of the story and the enjoyment of it that I stopped before I got to the end. And went back to reread it at my own pace and enjoyment from the beginning and it is much better--and yes I missed a lot.

I also discovered that most of the early leaks were wrong anyway and now everyone, even on this board (which is a designated spoiler board) and in the media, are being considerate of those of us taking our time. I can actually navigate this board and stay away from the ending details. Thanks, all of you.

I generally know it has a happy ending (it had to be--this is a children's series) but not the details so I can follow the mystery and watch the story unfold. It is a great ride.

I think expectations based on favorite theories or threads, so hotly discussed in this group, may have caused some people to become disappointed if their intensely debated subject didn't come up in the book. These were our creations and expectations not Rowlings. She had the ending planned from the start. In fact I really look forward to beginning the series all over again to see how obviously the ending was revealed in the earlier books. Much of it was already there in the first book. This is a wonderfully crafted story of over 4,000 pages and the experience of the journey well worth it.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Rowling said the last 1/3 of the book was basically how she imagined it when she planned it all those years ago. Be careful though Nadine, something might get thrown in a thread that gives away the ending so be careful reading in this bookclub : )

Nadine wrote:

I agree with you, Patty. I read most of the book very quickly afraid of not getting through it before someone spoiled the ending. I discovered that I was missing so much of the story and the enjoyment of it that I stopped before I got to the end. And went back to reread it at my own pace and enjoyment from the beginning and it is much better--and yes I missed a lot.

I also discovered that most of the early leaks were wrong anyway and now everyone, even on this board (which is a designated spoiler board) and in the media, are being considerate of those of us taking our time. I can actually navigate this board and stay away from the ending details. Thanks, all of you.

I generally know it has a happy ending (it had to be--this is a children's series) but not the details so I can follow the mystery and watch the story unfold. It is a great ride.

I think expectations based on favorite theories or threads, so hotly discussed in this group, may have caused some people to become disappointed if their intensely debated subject didn't come up in the book. These were our creations and expectations not Rowlings. She had the ending planned from the start. In fact I really look forward to beginning the series all over again to see how obviously the ending was revealed in the earlier books. Much of it was already there in the first book. This is a wonderfully crafted story of over 4,000 pages and the experience of the journey well worth it.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

amm1--I would like to know more about your opinion. Could you expand on your thoughts and feelings about JKR's handling of death in the series, her "darkness," as you say here? Do you feel somehow 'abused' (too strong a word, but that's kind of what I'm asking, in a way), for example, that this author created characters that readers came to love over a long period of time and then killed so many of them off, seemingly so swiftly? Is that kind of it, or is it something else? Would you have rathered that each character's death be treated with the same amount of recognition and respect as Dobby's, for instance?

~ConnieK

amm1 wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:
amm1, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'm re-reading it slower and have a new view on it, its really changed how I see it. Yes, some things are missing that we expected, but if I hadnt researched the cr*p out of it, I wouldnt have missed them. Maybe you should re-read it slower like I am, maybe you will gain a different perspective on it. I'm really enjoying it now. :

I read it very slow the first time and I have been reading it over but I'm sorry, it is the worst of the series and such a huge disappointment in so many ways. And believe me, I'm one of those who always gave JKR slack, never believing she had to be perfect. But I'm sad with this book and have decided for the most part I need to quickly lessened my number of comments and my time spent in this HP world. No one wants to hear from a sour puss all the time :smileytongue: and JKR's world doesn't interest me as much. I find it hard to comment in most of the threads because I'm in such a negative mood about the book but I don't want to constantly be the one to gripe.

Will I bother to buy anything else she writes? Probably not. Again, I want to stress how much I enjoyed the series as a whole and there are some good parts in DH (few) and yet I find her darkness, her flippant death scenes a bit disturbing. I believe she would say the opposite and give her whole speech about death, war and so on but I believe there's a darkness to her that comes out in her writings and I don't like it. I find it hard to believe this wouldn't carry over into other works she may publish.

I'll take with me the good part and the humor and fun from the first books but leave the rest. Whereas there are some good morals in her books, there are also some very lacking ones, IMO. So yes, I'm still depressed over this book and reading it over and over will not change my mind, I'm sad to say.

Message Edited by amm1 on 07-25-2007 09:56 AM

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Nadine--Hopefully you know that this board is completely FULL of spoilers! The "Reading DEATHLY HALLOWS" board is where the effort is made to keep them at bay.

~ConnieK

Nadine wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]